Motivation, Success and Frustration Sharing!

Options

Replies

• bluepoppies777
    bluepoppies777 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I'm finding myself an APARTMENT ASAP!!!
  • bluepoppies777
    bluepoppies777 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    1k5efkccen7f.jpg
  • SusanConway333
    SusanConway333 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with stage 3 Chronic Kidney Disease. For one month I was on strict food restrictions and lost 20 pounds. I started with a new doctor who lifted all food restrictions for 3 months so we can get accurate testings. Now that I am off restrictions, I find I am losing motivation and slipping above my goals. My weight loss has slowed down a lot but in all fairness it should have to a degree anyway after a month of dieting. But how do I keep myself motivated to stay within my nutritional goals? Not being able to maintain determination long term has always been my downfall. I want this to be a lifetime change...not a diet. Any ideas how to keep motivated? This is so freaking hard!
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    @SusanConway333 honestly there's no magic solution to motivation. My biggest tip is to start doing small sustainable changes. That way it doesn't feel like much of a difference right now, but over time they add up to a huge lifestyle change. Example: walking around the block every day for a month, swapping wheat for white bread, etc.

Joy @bluepoppies777 You are so right. I think I was feeling depressed because I was stretched too thin and putting too many expectations on myself. I just have to keep reminding myself that getting to goal is not a race, and my mental health is the most important. Also, way to go on getting yourself to the gym and absolutely killing it in that workout!

Shy @ShyCush6 Can I share that wine apartment with you? lol. Also, TOM is the WORST! Especially when hunger gets out of control. At least you reflected on what happened, and made a plan for next time. And we don't have another food holiday for months and months which is definitely helpful!

Jen @jkhoffe Let us know how the walking DVD goes. I've never tried it but I heard some people love it.

Chelsea @smithchelseaa517 Feel free to add me as a friend and take a look at my food diary. I try to eat fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins but I also don't want to live a life where I can't have treats every day too! Goldfish crackers included :)

Cari, Jen, and Jen- Thanks for cheering me on for taking care of my mental health, you guys are an amazing support system!

• CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ShyCush6 wrote: »
    Cari....
    752ad3793bea37e14b24aa6c241de474.jpg

OMG, so funny! I am sitting on the sofa right now laughing my head off going "yup, that is EXACTLY me with running!". Hahahahahaha! Brilliant.
  • CariTJR
    Options
    Well, I went for a run tonight, and i'd already told myself that if I wasn't feeling it then I could walk bits of it, after last week when I did 3 5k's in a week, and on the last one I just couldn't get it together at all, I decided to take it a bit easier this week as I think I was just trying to do a bit too much too soon. So, a short 2.19 miles tonight, and I did walk a couple of times (but not for long). It's making such a difference now the clocks have changed, it means I can now use routes again that were 'out of bounds' through the darker months, just because they were through woods etc, but now it's ok as it's still daylight. I basically planned my run to go around in a big circle to end up at the supermarket near our house as we needed some shopping - see women are just too good at multi tasking, running AND shopping! Exercise and food! lol
  • ngolden3320
    ngolden3320 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Cari. I'm glad to see you have your priorities in order. Running and shopping. Lol. Keep up the good work
  • CariTJR
    Options
    OMG! I really am such a doofus at times - I work in a different town to the one I live in, and I'd planned my next two lunch breaks (Thurs/Fri) to get everything done for my holiday, money exchanged, hair cut, eyebrows, shopping for bits etc. I also ordered some stuff from eBay, as our road trip has a 'Mad Max' theme and we have to wear costumes, so I got the stuff to be delivered to work tomorrow. Anyways, i've got all this planned and then today my colleague says, "so we'll do your hand over this afternoon and i'll keep a check on your emails while your away next week" and i'm like, "er, we can do it tomorrow can't we?", she replies "you're not in tomorrow, you booked it off...". What a total numbnut! So i'm going to have to drive over here tomorrow anyway to pick up the eBay stuff and go to my appointments. Sometimes I wonder about myself....
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    danan01 wrote: »
    Happy Monday! Well, I had a pretty good weekend. We did eat out a couple of times, and we had our big Easter meal on Saturday. But I didn't go overboard with anything. And I was able to get a few walks in so that was good. My NSV for the weekend was pulling clothes out of my closet that were previously too small only to find out that they are now too big! I love that! I am actually looking forward to a closet cleaning session to see what I have that I can get rid of, and what I might be able to wear again! Hope everyone's week is starting out fantastic!

WOW.... That is AWESOME @danan01 - I look forward that day!! Great job on enjoying your weekend yet still keeping your goals in mind!!

• ChangeIsADecision
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with stage 3 Chronic Kidney Disease. For one month I was on strict food restrictions and lost 20 pounds. I started with a new doctor who lifted all food restrictions for 3 months so we can get accurate testings. Now that I am off restrictions, I find I am losing motivation and slipping above my goals. My weight loss has slowed down a lot but in all fairness it should have to a degree anyway after a month of dieting. But how do I keep myself motivated to stay within my nutritional goals? Not being able to maintain determination long term has always been my downfall. I want this to be a lifetime change...not a diet. Any ideas how to keep motivated? This is so freaking hard!

Hi Susan! My biggest piece of advice... Just Do It! Decide to stick to your goals and healthy eating. Trust me when I say, I know that is much easier said than done but since your health is truly at risk, you need to find a new normal way of eating. That's not to say you can't "cheat" once or twice a week... you have to have rewards. Check in here daily, hourly if you have to so you can stay on track and stay healthy! You got this girl!! Don't let those old habits and monsters hurt your health and motivation! Post motivational quotes on your bathroom wall, set your phone to go off every 2 hours to get up and move and drink water... or whatever you want those alarms to be. Sorry if this sounds a little "tuff love-ish" but I had to here this from a coworker the other day and boy did it light a fire under my motivation! We're here for you anytime you need us!! <3
  • ChangeIsADecision
    Options
    My NSV yesterday was I basically had to wrestle my car to drive to the gym after work. I had all kinds of things I would have rather done than go to the gym... groceries, nap, clip my toenails (you get it). But I forced myself to go, and I had an excellent work out, one of the best spin classes I've done! I looked at my hands and the tops of my fingers were sweating - like what?!? I've never even heard of that! LOL

WAY TO GO @bluepoppies777 - It's so hard sometimes but you'll never regret the workout!!
  • slomeli79
    slomeli79 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »
    Hey @danan01 - I used to work a boring desk job too and I would listen to podcasts on my phone. I used the app Stitcher and listen to them thru out the day. I love Chalene Johnson's - she's so motivating. "Half Size Me" and "Tips of the Scale" are good ones too.

@ChangeIsADecision : thank you for the podcast shout-out. Glad you're enjoying the TipsOfTheScale show. :smiley:

-Sam
  • Rachel0778
    Options
    Guess who woke up this morning in the 140s?!?!?! I am so incredibly excited that as of today I am a healthy BMI!
  • Rachel0778
    Options
    @CariTJR that's the worst when you have to drive to work on a day off! I hope the two towns aren't too far away
  • CariTJR
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »
    Guess who woke up this morning in the 140s?!?!?! I am so incredibly excited that as of today I am a healthy BMI!

Woweee! Excited for you! :smile:

I just can't believe what a total wazzock I am, I mean who books a days holiday and then forgets? Also, due to my stupidity i've not been able to take a lunch break today (trying to fit in two days work today!) so i've hardly done any steps yet at all. :neutral:

In other news, i've managed to shift the 2lb I put on over the weekend eating and drinking my way into oblivion, I am now back down to what I was last Friday with weigh in again either tomorrow/Sat.... we shall see if there's been any shift downwards.
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm down 19 pounds thus far as of this morning, and can fit in some clothes that have been hanging in my closet for a while - including some pants that didn't fit well but do now. And yet last night I measured my waist and it has not gone down AT ALL even with 19 pounds gone.

Tonight i'm hitting up the gym to begin working on light intensity weight training and core exercises, in the hopes that my waist measurement will start reducing. And yes, I know you can't spot reduce, but...

Has anyone else had that issue, where weight is clearly coming off, but waist measurements stay the same???
  • SusanConway333
    SusanConway333 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    jkhoffe......you put a smile on my face! It was the last thing you said about everyone being so friendly and to stick with you! It made me feel welcome here. TY for that!

Rachel0778.....Well I have made the major changes and I had to do them all at once because of my diagnosis. And I was VERY angry about having to live with such strict food restrictions. I was having a hard time accepting that in essence, I had lost my "crutch" which was food. I am an emotional eater and now I had to eat to save my Kidneys, not sate my emotions. But you are right, now that the initial adjustment has taken place, I need to make small changes in the areas I am lacking.

However, there has been 2 major changes since I posted yesterday. I did not like my old Kidney Doctor so I found a new one. She felt looking at my history of my test results in the past, that it indicated I was dehydrated for most of those test and therefor the results were askew. So she retested with a lot of tests with the instructions to be well hydrated. I am in total shock. I was hoping for and expecting an improvement in my numbers. But for the first time in my life, every single test came back NORMAL! Even the Doctor was surprised to see such a dramatic difference! So I am off all food restrictions! I can eat whatever i want without regards to Sodium, Potassium, Calcium, or any other kind of nutrient content! However, I am to continue eating in a manner that I will continue to lose weight. The one item she did not test and has always been terrible, is my cholesterol. So i need to be wary of that. She also said if my numbers remain the same for the next testing in 3 months, she will document that I DO NOT have Kidney Disease! How awesome is that!

So here is the 1st problem. With the food restrictions lifted and my outlook has become....less steadfast. I have found myself wavering and have eaten a few....bad foods. Not many, just a few. But I fear my determination will continue to fade.

And the second problem, my Birthday is this week. (TY in advance for the Happy Birthday wishes) My husband wants to take me out to eat to the biggest Pennsylvania Dutch Buffet in the area on Saturday! Now i am trying to get my mind straight that EVEN THOUGH there will be more delicious but really bad food choices there then you can imagine, I need to stick with more vegtables then anything else and to stay away from the desserts. I know I will see and smell the really good (actually bad) foods and take a little of them. But how in the world do you execise portion control at a huge buffet???

The next day I have found out my hubby is throwing me a Birthday Party on Sunday. On the menu which he has planned.....Pizza, Ice Cream, & cake! Oh I am in so much trouble here. I tried to contribute to the menu but he said no he is planning this party. But it gets even worse.

On Monday, we are doing a favor for our friends. As a thank you they are taking us out to lunch at a restaurant that my girlfriend & I discovered years ago. It is quite a distance from our home. But they serve a Fetticcini Alfredo that I absolutly love! It was the one "cheat" I was going to allow my self before all ths other stuff came up. Their portions are huge and of course that is an absolutly a bad food!

I am just wondering how I am going to make it through this weekend and not fall off the wagon permantly?????

• danan01
    danan01 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    @ShyCush6 - Your weekend of hiking and walks sound nice! I am trying to get my husband to come with and find a place to go hiking around here. Maybe this summer we can find a nice spot! LOL-the pizza would do it for me too! I love pizza and probably would have eaten the whole thing! TOM sucks!

@CariTJR - Did you get your app issues fixed yet, or is it still all screwed up? That's frustrating! I wouldn't worry too much about logging everything while your on holiday. Just do what you can and enjoy yourself! Sounds like your skiing will balance it all out! That sounds fun! Funny about having to go in to work on a day off!

@bluepoppies777 - That lemon poppyseed cake sounds delish! I have been craving cake lately and that's weird because I am not normally a sweets person. Its usually the salty snacks for me. But I have been eyeing up the individual cake slices at the grocery store lately. Ive been tempted-but I have resisted so far! And you are so right! I just need to not keep food at work! Then I can't snack all day. Great job on your NSV of making yourself go to the gym. That is my biggest problem is getting myself to go. I actually like to work out-if I can get myself there.

@ChangeIsADecision - Its great when you can find the motivation you didn't know you were looking for!

@uoflgirl89 - It's funny how emotions effect our eating. I was thinking about that the other day. Some emotions make you want to eat everything in sight. And other times you cant eat anything just on how you feel. I need to figure out how to not attach food to my emotions!

@Rachel0778 - The nook is a good idea! I haven't read a good book in a while. I go back and forth with reading. Sometimes I can go for months with reading book after book after book, and then all of a sudden I'm done and don't pick up another one for months. Its time to get back into a good book! Way to go on the 140's! A healthy BMI=Celebration! That's awesome!

Welcome to all the newbies!
  • uoflgirl89
    uoflgirl89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    So I had my first NSV yesterday. My weight has been holding steady +/- 1 lb over the past two weeks (bad eating on my part). However, my sisters wedding is in May and we order bridesmaids dresses last month. When I got sized one was too small and the other too big, so I ordered the smaller one. Yesterday I tried on the too small dress and I could fit it and it zipped up all the way. It still a little snug but at least I know I can actually get in the dress with the zipper all the way up. Made me feel a little bit better about myself..