WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Happy first of April. This year is flying by. My meeting with the big boss went well yesterday and sounds like they will make the announcement next week that I am the new supervisor. I just pray it goes well and I do a good job. He does want me to take a couple classes and I am of with that. I just know that there is a lot to clean up and meading to be done from the last one. One day at a time.

Penny--Thanks for sharing the beautiful snow pictures. Sounds like a very nice relaxing day.

Lcottomsvcs--I have thought about one of those robot floor cleaners, but have carpet. Someday we want to put in hardwood floors.

Love the family pictures thanks so much for sharing.

Carol--Great news!! on your checkup. Doing the Happy Dance.

Barbie--Thank you for getting us started on another month. All you ladies mean a lot to me and I am Thankful for each of you and all the things I learn from you.

Joyce--Sorry about your sister, sending hugs and prayers for all of you. Hope you can enjoy the visit with your daughter and family.

Donna--Sending hugs and prayers at this time. I do not think we are ever ready to let go of our parents.

Well starting the month off right as am caught up and working on having an postive thoughts. We can do this.
    It is my weekend to work and have to work both days with the old boss. Should be interesting. I can do this.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,637 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

I was still in March – so here are comments from there:

Penny - that is way cool – Mine 2B!!! I believed until I was 10 and was disappointed to find out that Mom had anything to do with it. Great pictures!

Lisa – Glad to hear of your and DH’s mini run away… it has been a stressful time for you both. And Lighter is a great goal, Lighter of weight, lighter of worry, lighter of stress!

Alison – you go! A cleaning machine!!!! Wow

Carol- peach – that pup has a big head! What kind of dog is it?

Carol – NC Excellent results!

April:
    Thanks Barbie for keeping us going!

Joyce – It is so nice that your DD and DSIL and concerned enough to do the cooking.

Lisa great pics!!!

Margaret – your goals are amazing…

Kelly – Move to CA and we’ll fix your water running habit right up! Running the water like that would cost you more than you make in a month.

Kim from N. California
    and some pictures from my front yard -

au09238aktny.jpg

6r9ab0fs3dt4.jpg
    a spot for a bit of a read

bt2r42li9qwf.jpg
    my favorite iris
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    Options
    Kim gorgeous. Thanks for sharing

Katla and Kim thanks for the feedback.

:heart: Margaret
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,735 Member
    Options
    Heather~ love the picture of Captain Broccoli and the kids.. he doesn't look like he is having a god time (wink wink)
    long day today.. have to work tomorrow.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Kim, gorgeous! Heather, love the grands, and your DH!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Hi...glad to join this group. i just started but so far, really liking what i see. i want to lose weight so i can play with my twin granddaughters who are 3 1/2 yrs old.

welcome.gif..you have come to the right place...I started MFP and started posting on this thread at age 62 after a lifetime of failed attempts to find a solution to my weight problem. My first resolution was to log my food for the day and stick to the plan...other good resolutions followed and now I have a host of good habits.

:) Barbie from NW Washington
  • barbiecat
    Options
    Vickil57 wrote: »
    Happy first of April. This year is flying by. My meeting with the big boss went well yesterday and sounds like they will make the announcement next week that I am the new supervisor. I just pray it goes well and I do a good job. He does want me to take a couple classes and I am of with that. I just know that there is a lot to clean up and needing to be done from the last one. One day at a time.

:)Vicki, I've known you for a long time on this thread, and from what I've heard about you and your job, I have no doubt that you'll do a great job as the new supervisor...you are right to be taking it one day at a time.

:) Barbie

• lcottomsvcs
    lcottomsvcs Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    KIm We call that iris "grandma''s iris" because the only start I know of in that color came from my grandma's yard. Amazing to find a picture of it in this thread! Thanks for sharing

Lora in Indiana
  • barbiecat
    edited April 2016
    Options
    :) This is for anyone who is still deciding about your plan for April.

I stopped setting goals for the month and started making resolutions after I read this from Gretchen Rubin:

You hit a goal, you achieve a goal. You keep a resolution.
    I think that some objectives are better characterized as resolutions, others, as goals.
    “Run in a marathon” or “Become fluent in Spanish” is a good goal. It’s specific. It’s easy to tell when it has been achieved. Once you’ve done it, you’ve done it!
    “Eat more vegetables” or “Stop gossiping,” or “Exercise” is better cast as a resolution. You won’t wake up one morning and find that you’ve achieved it. It’s something that you have to resolve to do, every day, forever. You’ll never be done with it.

[/b]

Resolutions for April
    *weight training twice a week or more
    *10,000 steps a day
    *continue organizing CD's
    *meditation four days a week or more
    *make a plan and prepare the ground for planting bulbs in the fall
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    Lora,
    I got it from a gal in my garden club who had thousands of irises and showed them in Iris contests all over, I really like this one, I love purple, but this one shows the purple off to me better than the deep purple does.

Do you have one of your grandma's in your yard?

Kim
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Janetr OKC – I do the same thing you do; I figure out what I am ‘planning’ on eating each morning; and, when something comes along; I look it up on the database. Sometimes I can’t find it; but, find something pretty close. Also, when we go out to eat; I will drink several cups of water beforehand; and ½ whatever I have ordered. I put that ½ off to one side of my plate and eat ½ at the meal. Get a ‘doggie bag’ and take it home for the next day’s lunch. If DH has done the same, it becomes our supper that night; or the next day after that. I don’t ‘eat back’ my exercise either. I’m on a very ‘low caloric intake’ so that I can lose weight. I take a LOT of medication, most all with the side effect of ‘weight gain’.

Marcelyn – We have a ‘just turned 20-year-old’ DGD. Started my family at the age of 26; my son started his at 19; but, I would not trade her for anything. The marriage did not last; but, we’ve got a beautiful, smart, and loving DGD who now lives with her Dad and step-mom; and has, now, for 6 years. She's now in college and wants to be a vet. UGA is the only 'vet school' in Georgia. Organic chemistry is kicking her @$$. She'll be happy to get a "C" in it.

Pip – I let my hair grow out from a very, very short hair-do because I wanted to be able to put it up. I did not realize how ‘hot’ long hair is (now). I don’t remember it being so hot in my teens. I had to go through all those ‘difficult’ lengths when nothing you do works. GGrrrr!

Larisa – It is amazing how ‘heavy’ 10lbs can be, when you first start off.

Becca – YEAH!!!! Great numbers!

lhannon – I finally put down a book that I had been struggling to try to read. Most Gosh-awful book I have picked up in a LONG time. When DH finished 2 books and I was struggling with this one, I decided it just was not worth it. Picking up one (same author) that DH said was so good he could not put it down. I’ve got 3 to go, before I go back to the library next week. Will take the ones that have been read back and pick up some more. Usually, we are right on – I’ll read one, he’ll read one, and then we exchange. James Patterson’s “Private Rio” was a good one. Got my name 'on hold’ for his newest one (I think it comes out in mid-May). Another one in the “Private” series/group.

Beth – Good luck for your son, he’s in the right city for getting noticed. Does he write any of his songs or does he make each song he sings his own? Does he sing or play a musical instrument?

Vicki in Grand Island, NE – I think they have ones that go on carpet as well as hardwood floors. My only concern about them would be having to go behind it to get in the corners. I bought a hand-held vacuum cleaner yesterday (not a Dust Buster). It has a hose and the crevice tool that I need to get around all the walls, corners, and up high to dust off things hanging on the wall. My regular VC is heavy and hard to work with. It’s a GOOD one, just need to make sure that I am willing to spend the time to drag it out and vacuum the entire house, changing heads to do it.

Kim – I have the ‘exact’ iris. Beautiful! But it is early for blooming down here in GA.

Lora in Indiana – I have a gold and bronze group of irises that my BF gave me. Her mother had them in her yard. They’ve been in Arkansas, to Japan, back to Arkansas, down to Georgia. They’re beautiful and an old flower. I can hardly wait until my irises and day lilies start blooming.

Lenora
  • lcottomsvcs
    lcottomsvcs Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Lora,
    I got it from a gal in my garden club who had thousands of irises and showed them in Iris contests all over, I really like this one, I love purple, but this one shows the purple off to me better than the deep purple does.

Do you have one of your grandma's in your yard?

Kim

I do, its not blooming yet here. I got starts of many of my grandma's and great aunt's flowers. When we moved to this house 14 years ago, the flowers came with, in little bits here and there. I have more "heirlooms" outside the house than inside!
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening, Ladies,

Barbie, as always thank you so much for this forum and the new month.

CarolNC, so glad you got a clean check. I know you have to be relieved!

Pat, your GGS is so cute!!! Do they live near you?

MicheleNC, I'm wondering if Vince has made any comments about how much you do now that he is the driver? You stay so busy and do so much. I'm just guessing he didn't realize how much and all the trips to different places.

Katla, glad you had a happy day with the boat.

Lisa, great quilt. And such cute grands!!!

Obeident, welcome. We don't mind that you are just a young chick. Please tell us about yourself to help us get to know you. We also ask that you sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific.

Joyce, if you have someone that wants to cook for you, I say just enjoy!

Chloe, welcome.We also ask you to tell us about yourself. This is a great place for support and information so come often.

VickiNE, congrats on the new supervisor position. I hope it brings more $$$$? You will do great!!

Kim, beautiful flowers!!!!!

welcome.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I had lunch with a good friend today and ran some errands. Not a great first day of the month but tomorrow is a new day. I did get in my 20 minutes of active movement this morning. Every time I do my 10 push-ups I think of Mary and her getting me started on 100 a day. I sure hope she is doing well. I wish the same for each of you, my friends.
    Sending good thoughts for all of you and wishing you each a healthy and happy day. happy-spring-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - Happy April 1st. Today is my 27th anniversary...actually got married on April Fool's day :smiley:
    So, I haven't thought about goals yet. I've been just trying to get into a daily routine that includes exercise 5 days a week. Nothing elaborate.

Nice to see pictures of the flowers. I saw the first robin today which made me happy. (although there is snow predicted for Sunday and Monday)

I tracked my food today ... yippie! It's a start.

Stay well.

Kimses in MA

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
    stats for the day;
    STAIRCLIMBER- 20min, 4.3flpmin, 86fl, 162aw, higher than transamerica bldg in SF, 148mhr = 183c
    ROWING MACHINE- 20.15min, 49aw, 3170meters/1.97mi, 138mhr = 132c
    physical therapy - 40 min = 64c
    total cal 379
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    :)
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies: Haven't posted for a while but have done better keeping up with reading. Except for when I was sick I did pretty well doing 8000 steps per day. My goal this month is to do 9000 per day. I will also go to the YM and take a tour and check out their programs. I am missing the pools. Lost weight this month mostly because when I can't breathe I have no appetite. Now on prednisone and breathing easier but that causes carb cravings. Doing better on drinking all my water.

Barbie - Thanks for keeping us going for another month.

Kim - The flowers are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

Vicki - Good luck with the new position. You can do it!

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends,
    Barbie: Thank you for your consistency. You not only anchor this thread, you get it started every month with fun graphics. Hello Kitty! Love it.

Kim: Beautiful yard.

Vicki: Congratulations. You’ll be great as a supervisor.

Lisa: Your quilt is AH-maaaz-zing! Lucky, lucky recipient. I’m going to co-opt your goal of being lighter, if that’s okay by you.

I don't have any business trips planned for April. This has me a little sad, as I love to travel. Hope I don't go stir crazy. Stay well, friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

APRIL Resolutions:
    Eat mindfully.
    Strength train 2x/week
    Beat March step total
    Purchase appliances for Hawaii condo and schedule other work
    Weigh less at the end of the month
    Maintain Gratitude Journal (on free app by the same name)
    My word for 2016: Optimism
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Rori, you're welcome to the lighter goal... and bebop on down to West Texas if you get bored... :)

Lisa... in West Texas
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Lisa: Actually, Midland-Odessa is high on my work list. Will let you know when I get trip set. Also, on 'priority' for business travel are Portland and Seattle at the end of June. Anybody up for PNW meet up?

Rori