April 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words. Here are some pictures of the late, great Maggie (AKA "The Squidge").

Annoyed with her fur friends for invading her lap space:
    60ubvyt896zt.jpg
    Maggie in her native setting (asleep in the chair next to me, laying on the TV remote):
    3vxb47vlmkyg.jpg
    The day she first showed up at our house, a stray no more:
    k22gntzgq0l3.jpg
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Miles in April
    4/1 1.5 miles
    4/2 rest
    4/3 8.23 miles
    4/4 2 miles

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @ceciliaslater awwww, makes me miss her! Mine is in an urn. My son thinks I should scatter her, but I'm not ready yet.

Wahh! I wanna go home and hug my babies!

@Stoshew71 thanks for sharing that link. Your the best.
  • biscuitnow
    biscuitnow Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater Aw, I'm so sorry. :( Such an adorable dog. :(
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It's great to see so many new faces joining in!:smile:

@Elise4270 - How in the world did you figure all that mileage out?!?! :lol: As for rungries... Some find beer/alcohol to be no issue, but I do not find it satisfies rungries at all, and tends to exacerbate them. I suspect it is because I am taking in calories without any nutritional value, and the rungries are coming on because my body is seeking to fill some nutritional void. That's my theory anyway. I do better with the rungries when I am eating as healthy as possible, which means avoiding alcohol for the most part. I will still drink on a date night out with the wife, but that's it. Even then it's just to drink with her so I don't have more than one or two drinks. That's just me, others have different ways and it may work for them. :smile:

@ceciliaslater - So sorry to hear that. I have a 13 year old dauschund here. He is convinced he is the alpha alongside a yellow lab and a blue tick (and they allow it for the most part). Feisty little dog. I have to keep him penned up because if he ever got out with other dogs he would get in trouble for sure. You did nothing wrong. It is so sad though.

@instantmartian - Congrats on the PR time! And on the ITB pain going away so quickly. :smile:

@MNLittleFinn - Actually, I'm not running with a flashlight now.:scream: I am completely exposed to vampires!!:scream: I forgot it one morning and ran anyway along some paths off of the lighted roads and found I could see just fine. I've been doing it even along the non-lit park trails and the stream trails near me. There is enough ambient light from the surrounding civilization to allow me to see just fine even when the moon is nowhere to be found like this morning. In addition to still being ridiculously still, quiet and peaceful, the view is actually very calming in the dark like that. I can see more actually, and much further, and the unusual lighting just makes it very relaxing. I don't recommend this for anyone who is not comfortable running in the dark for whatever reason though (maybe no ambient city light, maybe unsafe, maybe would be too scared to find it relaxing, etc). But if you are comfortable with it, give it a shot sometime. It actualyl drags me out of bed at 4am just so I can enjoy that time, it's that nice. :smile:

@brian_gunther - Congrats on making it through C25K!!!

@pcarvalho3 - For your first 10k I suggest your rest on Saturday. That is not really a distance where the rest is critical, and you could do a shorter, slow, easy run. But since it's your first one you may want to be fully rested.

@pthyay - 1 km is about a kilometer further than a huge segment of the population has run, that is for sure! And you do need to be smart about how you approach running with the ankle, so you should be proud! I think it is really something jsut to even try when the reasons to avoid running might seem so appealing.:smile:

@lporter229 - I am excited for you! Can't wait to hear how the marathon goes!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

@MNLittleFinn - Actually, I'm not running with a flashlight now.:scream: I am completely exposed to vampires!!:scream: I forgot it one morning and ran anyway along some paths off of the lighted roads and found I could see just fine. I've been doing it even along the non-lit park trails and the stream trails near me. There is enough ambient light from the surrounding civilization to allow me to see just fine even when the moon is nowhere to be found like this morning. In addition to still being ridiculously still, quiet and peaceful, the view is actually very calming in the dark like that. I can see more actually, and much further, and the unusual lighting just makes it very relaxing. I don't recommend this for anyone who is not comfortable running in the dark for whatever reason though (maybe no ambient city light, maybe unsafe, maybe would be too scared to find it relaxing, etc). But if you are comfortable with it, give it a shot sometime. It actualyl drags me out of bed at 4am just so I can enjoy that time, it's that nice. :smile:

@WhatMeRunning I've been running in the dark for weeks now, just have had streetlights but want to expand my territory. I'm in a national forest, so I'm thinking a flashlight will be necessary with the tree cover on the paths, but I can always turn it off if I want to. I'll be testing running in the dark, but living in bear/cougar country, having a light might be a good idea so I don't surprise one....not that should be a problem with my running sounding like a stampede of wildebeests.....
  • Elise4270
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning dang, I figured alcohol was an appetite suppressant. But your right, it does mess with your blood sugar- I forgot it always makes me want ice cream. I think I'm going to have to plan better. My body knows we run after work, so it seems to be seriously concerned about getting food early in the day, which is when I eat the least.
    My scale is eeking down ever so slowly. I totally don't want to sabatoge that. I figured you must have develooed an appetite balance with all those miles and still moving the scale.

As far as the miles from March- I just scrolled through the last few days of the posts and sought out the ones i couldnt find on Strava. Then just used Excel for the math.

Hey! 1130! It's lunch time!
  • annettemoe
    annettemoe Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm in, but my goals seem small to everyone else. I am a brand new runner so right now a mile is a challenge. I have been increasing my movement to include walking,running, walking and increasing my time of movement. I think a realistic goal for April would be 20 miles...but I am not even sure how to gauge my distance yet. My first week has been more of walking a consistent path and running at specified intervals. Thanks all!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater -That is heart breaking. Not your fault, of course, but I understand your pain. Losing an animal is never easy. My heart goes out to you.
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options

@WhatMeRunning I've been running in the dark for weeks now, just have had streetlights but want to expand my territory. I'm in a national forest, so I'm thinking a flashlight will be necessary with the tree cover on the paths, but I can always turn it off if I want to. I'll be testing running in the dark, but living in bear/cougar country, having a light might be a good idea so I don't surprise one....not that should be a problem with my running sounding like a stampede of wildebeests.....
    See, that is totally different than my situation here. I would run with light in a national forest. Especially with cougars and bears around. Although, considering how my cats react to any light beams around the house, I'd be a bit worried about any playful cougars... :lol:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    See, that is totally different than my situation here. I would run with light in a national forest. Especially with cougars and bears around. Although, considering how my cats react to any light beams around the house, I'd be a bit worried about any playful cougars... :lol:
    LOL. chances of running into any animals are very low, as close to town as I will be, but I figure it's better to announce my presence, and hope the cougars don't decide to chase the random spot of light they see.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    annettemoe wrote: »
    I'm in, but my goals seem small to everyone else. I am a brand new runner so right now a mile is a challenge. I have been increasing my movement to include walking,running, walking and increasing my time of movement. I think a realistic goal for April would be 20 miles...but I am not even sure how to gauge my distance yet. My first week has been more of walking a consistent path and running at specified intervals. Thanks all!

Welcome to the group! You can set a time goal instead of distance. Example 60 minutes/week, or 3 days/week. However you choose.
  • ChrissalmonPT
    ChrissalmonPT Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    3 Miles this Morning, 11 miles total so far for April.3k0vh5csl0x1.png
    run.PNG 74.5K
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @annettemoe - If you are asking how to determine your running miles separately from your walking miles, I wouldn't mess with that. Just count all of your walking+running miles. It is moving forward with your legs and the same distance overall in the end. At some point you will start running more than walking and that distance will take less time is all. If you are wondering about what sort of goal to set, then 20 miles seems pretty good to start. It is hard to say though, we all come from different starting points. :smile:
  • LummiBay
    LummiBay Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Feels great to be active and back on track with fitness again. Good cross-training yesterday -- 30 mile bike ride in beautiful spring sunshine!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words. Here are some pictures of the late, great Maggie (AKA "The Squidge").

Annoyed with her fur friends for invading her lap space:

Sorry to hear about your DH @ceciliaslater I wasn't quite sure from your explanation as to what happened. Did your DH get out of the fenced area or did the neighbor's dogs get in under the rained on spot?

In either case, I would not feel guilty about it (which may be easier said than done). What responsibility is your neighbor willing to accept?
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Wow, so much to catch up on! Well done to everyone who smashed races this weekend @Stoshew71, @skippygirlsmom, @AdrianChr92, @vindinem, @ariceroni, @kristinegift and @instantmartian. Sorry if I missed anyone out!

Thanks to everyone for the congratulations too. @Iporter229, @karlundy, @_nikkiwolf_, @michable, @kristinegift, @MNLittleFinn, @WhatMeRunning, @ceckhardt369 and @Elise4270 This is why I love this group so much, I barely got a ‘well done’ from anyone IRL. You guys keep me so motivated and accountable, thank you :)

@brian_gunther Well done for finishing C25k, that’s a great achievement!

@ceceliaslater That’s such horrible news about your poor dog. Don’t beat yourself up though, you couldn’t possibly have done anything to prevent it. Did your neighbours have anything to say about what their dog did?
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater I hope you don't mind, I updated my profile pix with my Macy to honor your Maggie.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater I updated mine too in honor of your beautiful Maggie. This is Raptor...my granddog <3
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Wow, so much to catch up on! Well done to everyone who smashed races this weekend @Stoshew71, @skippygirlsmom, @AdrianChr92, @vindinem, @ariceroni, @kristinegift and @instantmartian. Sorry if I missed anyone out!

Thanks to everyone for the congratulations too. @Iporter229, @karlundy, @_nikkiwolf_, @michable, @kristinegift, @MNLittleFinn, @WhatMeRunning, @ceckhardt369 and @Elise4270 This is why I love this group so much, I barely got a ‘well done’ from anyone IRL. You guys keep me so motivated and accountable, thank you :)

@brian_gunther Well done for finishing C25k, that’s a great achievement!

@ceceliaslater That’s such horrible news about your poor dog. Don’t beat yourself up though, you couldn’t possibly have done anything to prevent it. Did your neighbours have anything to say about what their dog did?

@louubelle16 I think I congratulated you on strava but not here. Congrats on your HM PB. :-) Wonderful job.

Same to you @ricearoni86 on your 8K PR & @vandinem on your 10K PR & @instantmartian on your 15K PR.

Sorry if I missed anyone else.