WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Somehow I managed to run over my own foot with a shopping cart today. Actually not sure how I managed to do that but it hurt! Made my daughter laugh though.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,337 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Gay Gasper's DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to take the deep water class.

After exercising, we're supposed to stop at the lady's house who is making Jess' dress, then I want to stop at the Salvation Army just to see if they have any brown shorts that I can take to the condo, then we'll go to WalMart to finish picking up Vince's prescription.

Remember how I was saying how Vince was so into the "now mom will learn about consolidating trips" and how I was saying "this is what I usually do". Well, Bryan got a credit card in the mail (it had to be replaced). He said that it wasn't real urgent to send it to him. Vince wanted to go to the post office today. I said to him "why don't you want until Thursday, I'm at the Green Room then and you can just go to the post office after you drop me off"?

Laney - welcome! Glad you're here.

Connie - I like to do planks for my core. Just be sure that you not only work your abs but also your back (opposing muscle to the abs)

katla and pip - thanks for telling me about the cables. I think we might have some in the garage.

Heather - do you know that I never thought of using the shirataki noodles in soup? Why, I have no idea. But I am going to try it

Noreem - hi there! Yes, this place is like a kitchen table with everyone sitting around gabbing about everything. Boy, you sure have a menagerie of animals there!

Carol/Peach - you're doing amazing on your plank. I remember Mary telling me to add one second to my plank time because I was having trouble getting from 2 min 45 seconds to 2 min 50 seconds. It worked!!!!

Yvonne - I'm Polish so I am quite interested in what a "Polka Worship Service" is. Please do tell when you can

drkatiebug - I don't think I would like my weight progress posted. Something about missing me (no mention of TOPS) might be nice. But not much else. A prayer list for leg cramps???? That's rediculous

Mexican Train tonight. I just had the wafflefry bacon cheesburger bites that I made and there was some strawberries. Unfortunately, I think they put sugar on them. But then again, I probably only had 1/4 cup, but I logged it as 1 cup accounting for the possible sugar.

Traci - welcome! You joined by posting! Don't worry, I've been here for years and I still don't know everyone. People come and go as their schedules allow.

Michele in NC
  • grammyx23
    grammyx23 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I still have to keep a score card to keep all my new friends straight.

The picnic lunch suggestion is great. The only problem is that after working amongest the mountain of stuff we have to get out of it for a short break to keep our sanity.

I do all of my access to MFP on my smartphone. The phone may be smart enough to open multiple windows but the senior using it isn't. Lol

I have the best luck with weight loss when I get frozen lo-cal meals & have those for lunch & dinner. Breakfast is a mini bagel with cream cheese, 220 calories. Sounds boring but at that hour brain isn't functional.

Good night to all my new friends. Sleep well.

Sioux in Tulsa
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: Late to post this, but have nonetheless kept you in my thoughts and prayers ever since reading about your health issues. It's just taken me a few days to get current with this thread/

Welcome to all the new ladies. Keep checking back. This group is awesome.

I've been working on home improvement plans for the Honolulu condo. My DB's girlfriend may be interested in buying it, which gives me great hope. She is going to come see it while I'm there in May. Then, completely out of nowhere, we lost power in 3 rooms of our Colorado home. As long as we have an electrician scheduled, I am going to get an estimate on other work. I love making home improvements, and if budget wasn't a factor, I'd have lots of projects in motion.

Well, I'd love to write more, but I have to crank out a few more steps before bedtime so I can hit 10,000 on fitbit. Funny how this little thing is spurring more activity out of this highly sedentary old broad.

Stay well friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I tried something new for supper that was yummy. Salmon in parchment paper with stir fry veggies on top with a little butter, lemon juice and thyme. Served it with cheese grits and a green salad.

My sister's surgery is Friday. I'm worried about her, but she thinks she'll be okay without me. My control freak self still kind of wants to go.

Night!
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    :)
    welcome to traci

And I just emailed Mindy - as I was missing her, and she asked me to say hi, she has the flu, as been out of work for a week and the dr. says 3 more days.... I told her we all want her to get better soon!

Kim, in N. CA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • calefor
    calefor Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Long day, keep falling asleep trying to read all of the posts. Will catch up tomorrow.
    Sweet Dreams everyone! :)
    Connie
    Oregon
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Good evening. Lovely Ladies!
    I walked almost four miles today, without *that* much complaining from my wonky hip. That was after an hour of TRX! Six months ago, I had to limp heavily after half a mile or so, and was just about crying by the one-mile mark...so I quit for a while and focused on squats and lunges.
    Today was soooo satisfying. and tiring...early bed for me. :smile: I'll have to catch up on all your posts, tomorrow, but meanwhile, I just wanted to say Hi :smile: and you know, brag a little. :wink:

Larisa in Seattle
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I just Googled Polka worship and the particular article I read was this group that went around Minnesota and sang religious music with a polka twist to it. They have some of their own songs and then have traditional music that they put a polka twist in.

I also like the frozen meals and I am one of those people who my doctor has told me that I ideally should keep my sodium intake around 2500 mg so I am safe in eating those. But I just don't like spending that much money. If I were living alone I probably would do that for lunch and supper. I get the brand Bumble bee meat salad snack packs for $1 at Walmart. It's a small tin of tuna, chicken and ham salad, 5 ritz like crackers and a plastic flat spoon. Comes in a small box and when I am finished I put the package that the crackers were in and put it in the meat salad tin and throw it all away. I then have some pre-packaged carrots and an apple. Small nutritious and very portable meal and as a bonus it's an easy clean up.

My sister called me this evening all excited. She had seen her oncologist today. For new members she was newly diagnosed with malignant melanoma 7 years after surviving breast cancer. She said she got her staging and said it was stage 3. So I said 'that is the good news'. Stage 1-4 and she is stage 3. Thens he said they have an infusion and if not taking it has 50/50% and if she does take it is 65/15% chance. So I asked her how she felt about it and she said she really didn't know how she was feeling right now. She still has her drain in under her arm, she is now about 3 or 4 weeks post surgery. She said it is draining a lot on her clothes. I think it is clogged up. That stiff that comes out of the lymph node biopsies can get yucky and it has just eventually clogged up. So I am not understanding why she was so excited and optimistic if she really doesn't know if she is going to take this.

OH, Charlie got word that he does not have another colon infection!!!! So he will continue with his high dose steroid and be seen in a month and hopefully will get scheduled for another colonoscopy. They are talking about increasing the amount of Remicade in his infusion to see if it will speed up getting him into remission or at least slowing his diarrhea down.

My kids will be leaving tomorrow morning. I will miss them but I will also enjoy having my house back. The first 2 nights they were here, everyone was jammed into our small living room. Ever since then, the DGD have stayed down in the family room watching Netflix, so I haven't had much interaction with them.

Joyce, INdiana
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,694 Member
    Options
    Morning all~
    I am up and waiting for the stuff in the dryer, and having a cup of tea...not working until 10:30 and having a little bit of tummy troubles, will see how I feel in a bit and go to the gym..
    Iced both heels as going on the treadmill , it does do damage after awhile ... but I sure do get the steps in...
    Heather~ if you go to Florida you have to spend a couple of days on Sanibel Island... It is my favorite place .. stunning beaches to collect shells,Bowman beach is wonderful... and the J.N..Ding Darling Wildlife refuge...Wildlife drive has one of the best birding area's in the country... tons of trails to walk, and an education center.. Tarpon Bay Explorers has a nice boat trip around even a sunset rookery tour... tons of neat restaurants and it is super bike friendly.. check it out on the internet... it is about an hr south of our place in Florida..
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    In the leafless maple outside my window, a blackbird is singing its heart out. Sound so beautiful it hurts.
    Happy me!
    /Penny
  • kritney
    kritney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!

This year I decided to re-commit myself to MFP with a goal of consistently logging my eats and workouts but find myself struggling to keep it real. I just found this great group this morning and wanted to jump in.

I'm soon to be 48, and am currently in the low 190s with a shoulder issue that makes pushups and plank-like moves painful along with lifting overhead.

My goal for April is to eat as clean as possible, especially on weekends, and staying away from soda. I want to work out at least 5 days a week and post everything, good and bad. I really need to keep myself accountable.

Oops, I better get going or I'm going to be late for work. Have a great day everyone!!

Kristi in NC
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Just checking in, nothing much happening, but wanted to post so you all dont forget about me :'(
    Welcome all new folks B)
    Karen from ny
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,048 Member
    Options
    :heart: Margaret
  • HoneyRose77
    HoneyRose77 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi all I'm new to this group! My March goals went very well. April is going a bit slower.

Here are my goals for April:
    • Walk at least 4x/week
    • Get my neck operated on so my pinched nerves stop causing me pain and making me fatigued
    • Start physical therapy
    • Continue looking for work
    • Drink more water
    • Eat 3 healthy meals every day
    • Continuing getting 8 hours sleep/day
    • Getting out in the sun more (New England is getting winter weather(!?!) right now which is not helping me get outdoors)
    • Plan my dinners better - cook!
    • Log every day
      Can't start doing weights until the PT tells me. And I can't wait! Will be doing some singing, too. Happy April everyone! Here's to a successful one for all of us!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »

My sister's surgery is Friday. I'm worried about her, but she thinks she'll be okay without me. My control freak self still kind of wants to go.

Night!

:) Change is scary which is why so many people go back to old behaviours that don't serve them well. Just stay in the moment and focus on what you are doing at the moment. You are wise to recognize the control freak part of yourself.

<3 Barbie

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    MightyLolo wrote: »
    Good evening. Lovely Ladies!
    I walked almost four miles today, without *that* much complaining from my wonky hip. That was after an hour of TRX! Six months ago, I had to limp heavily after half a mile or so, and was just about crying by the one-mile mark...so I quit for a while and focused on squats and lunges.
    Today was soooo satisfying. and tiring...early bed for me. :smile: I'll have to catch up on all your posts, tomorrow, but meanwhile, I just wanted to say Hi :smile: and you know, brag a little. :wink:

Larisa in Seattle

:) Bravo, Larisa, I admire your spirit of never giving up :)
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone. Headed out to plant some trees, dig up some dead bushes, fight the leaf-cutter ants (constant battle with these terribly destructive critters), clean the pool, and repair some broken heads of the sprinkler system. It's gonna be a great day!

Marcelyn in the Houston area
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,048 Member
    Options
    Today the idea I am going to take from The Dance of Anger is using "I" statements. Using an I statement in a clear firm voice is my goal to work towards what I need in the situation. I might need to use the broken record technique. That is when you repeat what you need again in a clear firm voice. I had an example but I pushed the wrong button and don't have time to repeat it because I need to get ready for work. I do need to prepare myself for push back and need to compromise depending on the situation.

Hope every one has a great day!

:heart: Margaret