What was the biggest sacrifice you had to make to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,390 Member
    Options
    Nothing! Unless you could eating crisps and my other favourite candy not by the bags but in small portions every now and then.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I've eliminated some things (regular soda, fast food fries that aren't from Arby's) but it doesn't feel like a sacrifice. They just aren't worth my calories.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I didn't cut out any particular food or even eating out. I do feel I have sacrificed some family time. But, flip side, the time we do still have I am much more calm due to my "me" time.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I've had to sacrifice freedom. I gained most of this weight between starting my job and now, and mostly because I enjoyed the feeling that came with "Arby's looks good? **** it, I'm an adult, I can have fast food for dinner again tonight!" Your choices are definitely more limited when you know that if you have that, you're going to have to shift your entire day or week to accommodate it.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Another one for spontaneity. But considering where I was at and where I was heading, the trade off is well worth the bit of inconvenience to be where I'm at now.
  • Big5BigChange
    Big5BigChange Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »
    I didn't give up any foods, I just gave up "growing teenage boy" type portions, considering I am a middle aged woman.

PAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

• Brandy108
    Brandy108 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating diary for a week at the start of my weight loss journey, just to see if it made a difference. Turns out I have an issue with cow's milk. I used to feel really bloated after days where I had a lot of cheese/milk or, occasionally, I would wake up in the middle of the night sweating and super sick to my stomach. I went to the doctor and they confirmed it, no more diary unless I want to feel awful. I now use goat cheese if I'm craving cheese. So I wouldn't say it was I wanted to cut out diary, but it has helped me feel 100% better.

Also, I miss pizza and Ben and Jerry's

Ben and Jerry's makes a non-dairy ice cream now :) They use almond milk. The peanut butter cookie flavor is the best, but they have four flavors out. Target is the best place to find them.
  • buckman803
    buckman803 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Indian takeaways...
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Fast food. I eat it occasionally. I didn't give it up necessarily because of calories, more because I found I can cook a hamburger, steak, etc that tastes alot better and it's not loaded with butter, fat, etc. Since I began eating healthier, I appreciate food more. I enjoy the taste. Cheap, fast food just doesn't appeal to me.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Another one for spontaneity. But considering where I was at and where I was heading, the trade off is well worth the bit of inconvenience to be where I'm at now.

even now I still can't say spontaneity totally...things happen and I don't say no just because of weight loss.

So about all I have had to sacrifice is money to purchase new smaller clothing...and btw two piece bathing suits are not cheap.

• Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Bread, rice, crackers, bananas, cookies, cake...

Basically carbs that I was eating on a daily basis since I found out I was prediabetic.

However since I can embrace bacon lovingly into my diet on a regular basis, I can live without the above indulgences.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Self destructive behavior and inflated restaurant bills
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    My biggest sacrifice was some of my reading time. Instead of reading, I am now spending several hours a week working out.

People who know me, know how I treasure my books (whether physical books, Kindle, or audiobooks) so it really is a sacrifice.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    My biggest sacrifice was some of my reading time. Instead of reading, I am now spending several hours a week working out.

get audio books they are great.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    While there are foods now that I no longer eat, or eat very infrequently, I wouldn't call anything I've done a sacrifice. I no longer want to eat those foods. If/when I feel like an indulgence, I certainly do so (guilt free) but I don't feel that living the lifestyle I do is a sacrifice at all
  • RachelYarbrough
    RachelYarbrough Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Spontaneity.

It is a bit annoying not to be able to eat whatever I feel like eating whenever I feel like eating it.

But I have lost about 25 kg (55 lbs) and I'm down to a weight I haven't seen in a decade.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I couldn't eat enough food with the 12 pk of regular soda and multiple lattes with whole milk and flavor swirl taking up so many precious calories each week. All that mess had to go. Now, my soda is diet and I hardly even drink that anymore, and my coffee is black. Also, no more fast food combo meals. Sandwich only. Absolutely worth it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I pretty much gave up TV. I might watch 15 minutes in the evening if I walk into the living room and my husband has a show on but I am not up on any shows. To be honest, I don't even know how to work the main TV remote. My husband got a new one right before Christmas. I was sick as a dog a month ago and after getting bored of lying in bed reading I tried to watch TV but then couldn't figure out how to work the remote.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I do but usually only listen to them in the car. I prefer to not listen to anything (except the sounds of nature and daily life) when I am walking. I have been tempted to try audiobooks on my waterproof IPod when swimming but am not sue if I can concentrate. I usually zone out while doing my laps.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I do but usually only listen to them in the car. I prefer to not listen to anything (except the sounds of nature and daily life) when I am walking. I have been tempted to try audiobooks on my waterproof IPod when swimming but am not sue if I can concentrate. I usually zone out while doing my laps.

I'm an avid reader too, but I also can't use audio books-too hard to focus!