What was the biggest sacrifice you had to make to lose weight?

Replies

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I had to stop being a huge alcoholic :(
    I kid, I kid.
    But I did have to significantly cut my drinking down.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Mindless, thoughtless eating and sloth.

But I am generally happier avoiding those, so not really a sacrifice.
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    Naturally, we don't have to cut out treats completely in order to lose weight. But what was the biggest sacrifice you had to make in order to lose weight? Was it worth it? Just curious...

Ice cream. It's the only thing where there doesn't seem to be a good low carb alternative.

I used to eat like 2 or 3 pints of Ben and Jerry's a week. Obviously not acceptable.

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,220 Member
    Eating chocolate spread from the jar and drinking cream from the pot. And I had to cut the cheese soo much. I'm not happy with the amount of cheese I can afford to eat now.
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    My biggest sacrifice was some of my reading time. Instead of reading, I am now spending several hours a week working out.

People who know me, know how I treasure my books (whether physical books, Kindle, or audiobooks) so it really is a sacrifice.

Do you go to a gym? I've seen people with kindles on the treadmill.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,966 Member
    My biggest sacrifice was some of my reading time. Instead of reading, I am now spending several hours a week working out.

People who know me, know how I treasure my books (whether physical books, Kindle, or audiobooks) so it really is a sacrifice.

This has really been the only sacrifice for me. I haven't been able to read near as much now that I spend most of my free time walking/running with my dog. But it has been worth it. The other "sacrifice" I have made is not getting a candy bar every time I check out at the grocery store. I still eat candy occasionally as a treat, but I don't want to waste a lot of calories on something that doesn't fill me up or help me reach my nutritional goals so that has really been more of a change and less of a sacrifice.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I'm not sure that "sacrifice" is the right word...I looked at the way I was living my life and I looked down the road that I was traveling on and didn't like what I saw...I thought about my two boys and my wife and the self destructive way I was living my life and I cringed and knew I needed to choose a different path...so I did. So gone are the days of mindlessly eating whatever...gone are the days of being a sloth and doing nothing but sitting around and chain smoking cigs and drinking endless pints of beer. Gone are the days of sitting around for hours and watching random t.v. that I wasn't even really interested in in the first place. Gone are the days of spending entire days playing video games. My life is so much better now.
  • JLPersall
    JLPersall Posts: 43 Member
    Limiting my self to one "white" coffee a day. Too many calories that didn't fill me up or give nutrition. I love my coffee!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    cate320 wrote: »

Do you go to a gym? I've seen people with kindles on the treadmill.

I walk outside and prefer to not have any electronic device with me, except my phone to do a GPS map of the mileage. I also swim and listen to music via a waterproof IPod.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    cate320 wrote: »
    Naturally, we don't have to cut out treats completely in order to lose weight. But what was the biggest sacrifice you had to make in order to lose weight? Was it worth it? Just curious...

Ice cream. It's the only thing where there doesn't seem to be a good low carb alternative.

I used to eat like 2 or 3 pints of Ben and Jerry's a week. Obviously not acceptable.

This is where having an ice cream shop to go to is handy. When you really, really want some, you can go get a single scoop in a dish and enjoy a treat without the temptation of having leftover in the house.
  • knittingbee928
    knittingbee928 Posts: 50 Member
    I sacrifice mornings & sleeping in so I have time to go to the gym. It was really hard at first, but now I'm used to it and I see it less as a sacrifice and more of a gift I give to myself. Sounds cheesy but it makes me feel good about myself twice over - once for getting out of bed, and again for the actual workout! Plus, I've learned to love the peacefulness of the early morning drive to the gym. It's short, but it's peaceful and one of the best parts of my day.

But yes, I loooooove to sleep in. So it's still a sacrifice.
  • Jleigh225
    Jleigh225 Posts: 49 Member
    Unbridled indulgence and gluttony. I really enjoyed just sitting in front of the tv after work and diving into a big plate of nachos with no regard for portion or consequences. That was fairly immature of me so when you want to be a better version of yourself, that part isn't so hard to give up. Not to say you can't have nachos and lose weight, but you can't have them with blatant disregard for portion size.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Gorging myself until I was stuffed/felt almost sick. Used to this probably 2-3 times a week. Now maybe once a month or less, and it takes less food for me to feel stuffed than it did before. Like others have mentioned, that's probably the thing I miss most, just eating without regard to how much it was, eating and eating.
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Nothing. I've eliminated some things (regular soda, fast food fries that aren't from Arby's) but it doesn't feel like a sacrifice. They just aren't worth my calories.
    Mentali wrote: »
    I've had to sacrifice freedom. I gained most of this weight between starting my job and now, and mostly because I enjoyed the feeling that came with "Arby's looks good? **** it, I'm an adult, I can have fast food for dinner again tonight!" Your choices are definitely more limited when you know that if you have that, you're going to have to shift your entire day or week to accommodate it.

What's with everyone and the Arby's today...now I want Arby's...
  • MimiOfTheFraserValley
    MimiOfTheFraserValley Posts: 108 Member
    Coca~Cola, other pop & junk food. I'm a Coca~Cola addict, but I rarely miss it now. I had to give up the rest, too, because I was starting to just drink pop, & I have very little control when I eat junk food. So better to not have it at all than to have it & risk bingeing on it.

Yes, it's totally worth it!! My health & well being are a lot more important to me than having pop & junk food. :smile:
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Wine, wine and more wine. My achilles heel.
    In the long and short run, it will be the best thing though.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Taco Bell. :'( Sure, I could still order tacos but that isn't something I typically would order from there. I used to order the really calorie heavy foods such as a quesarito. So good but I think that alone had about 600-700 calories, not to mention God knows how much sodium. Taco Bell was definitely my comfort food. These days if I eat anything from a "fast food" restaurant then it's Chipotle.
  • holly_roman
    holly_roman Posts: 116 Member
    hmmm food. just eating until I am beyond stuffed. and Milk..it is a trigger food. one sip and suddenly I am downing the WHOLE gallon. Reading, I don't get as much time anymore because I am spending so much time planning and cooking. these are things I missed the first time and I am starting to miss again in my second round in. milk, milk, milk, milk..it is like a mantra in my head...*sigh*
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Nothing much. I might put something off, like I won't have a pizza this weekend, or one of the buns that someone brought into work. But I know I'll have one at some point soon, so I don't see that as a big deal; it just means I'll enjoy it more when it comes around... Overall I enjoy the process, I'll moan about things, because I'm British, but I'm usually just trying to be funny.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Wine, beer, nuts, granola bars. Only because I have no self control with these items yet. One serving is never enough. I tried again with the nuts a few days ago and it didn't work out lol.
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    "Sacrificed" not being able to walk down the hall without wheezing, not being able to fit into even my "fat" pants, not being able to wear tie-up tennis shoes (hahaha), not being able to keep up with my grandchildren, not being able to be mindful of stuffing my face daily, not being present in my life at all! I have sacrificed "having" to get out there and ride a bike, run a 10K with friends, swim with my grandkids, run daily with my dogs, not drink my weight in Grey Goose ;) -- thinking I should stop since I could go on and on. On a serious note - I agree with so many I did harbor great anxiety over folks suggesting going out to eat - so spontaneous eating was a struggle for a while. Now, I got this. Thank You - I will adjust!