Gained weight on 1200cal diet, AND 800cal diet.

Options

Replies

• coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    First off, I'm 5'2 and I weighed a steady 130 lbs for years. Over the winter I slowly gained weight, until I got to 144. In January I started a 1200cal diet with cardio exercise, and gained 2 pounds. Last week, I read that for some RARE women, 1200 may not be enough for weight loss, so I (maybe stupidly), restricted to 800cals. I worked out like crazy every day. I gained another pound. I feel so frustrated I want to cry. In hindsight, I know 800 was probably too little. I should have done 1000. But still! I don't know what else to do. I'm only 21 years old. I'm trying to get to 120 lbs. Please feel free to add me for Support as well.

Assuming exercising 3 times weekly for 30 mins at a light intensity, currently 144 lbs, and a sedentary job, your TDEE is 1643 cals per day.

You're short (No offense meant), but you're fighting an uphill battle. Any error in your logging could completely wipe any deficit you might have.

Buy and use a food scale, to get the most accurate logging possible. I would not recommend logging your exercise in the app, as the estimates for caloric burn rate are way off. Set your daily goal to 1200, log accurately, and see what happens for a bit. I'm guessing overestimation of caloric burn coupled with inaccurate logging is what is doing you in. Very heavy individuals can error greatly in both, and still see results, because their TDEE is so high to being with. You're only 20 lbs over, have a low TDEE, so you need to really knuckle down on the logging aspect.

@coreyreichle Where do you get 1643?

I checked on a site that I find close to actuals and with exercise and age and other stats it calculates it at 2k....

cut at 1610...which makes sense at her age, current weight and exercise...

http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Bear in mind, I also made some assumptions, which I laid out, and OP didn't provide (ie, intensity level of exercise, time/frequency of exercise, and daily activity level).

I made assumptions as well on exercise

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

typically these are quite close.

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=female&age=21&lbs=144&in=61&act=1.375&f=1

this one is higher than yours as well....hence the reason giving out numbers is not a good idea.

To figure out TDEE actually requires personal data and this formula

Total calories consumed + (lbs lostx 3500)/#days

need to be accurate with consumption using a food scale of course and at least 21 days.

Personally, I don't like to use the sites you supplied, due to lack of granularity in what data you provide. ie, how much exercise and for how long...

But, to each their own, I suppose.

@coreyreichle you missed the most important part of my post...how to calculate your own tdee without assumptions and websites.

and the fact you shouldn't throw numbers at folks without really knowing the facts.

Your simplistic formula fails to take into account the fact that your TDEE changes based current, or sloped weight, though, so it's fairly inaccurate.

I used the facts I knew (She supplied), added some reasonable assumptions to fill out the required data, provided the source (When asked) so she could do it on her own.

To boil is down, your simple formula doesn't work. It would work well if you limited it to a data set of 4 weeks, as weight changes don't happen that quickly.

So, you shouldn't throw around formulas that are untested, because you don't like time tested formula/calculators.

@coreyreichle Interesting..untested eh.

It is a simple formula that is correct but it has been tested numerous times by those in the Eat Train progress group and I trust SideSteel and Sara with the information they provide way over a website where one is making assumptions and throwing arbitrary numbers out to someone that they don't know much about just some info on a forum post.

SMH

FYI if you use rolling data you get your accurate tdee and it's much more accurate than those sites you use, and based on your own assertions TDEE changes (correct) based on weight and activity...so your sites will have to be visited as much as the formula has to be calculated...keep in mind the formula doesn't make assumptions.

You do know TDEE calcs change every time you lose weight, right?

If I were to include data in an average from 1 year ago in my TDEE calcs, it would push me over my TDEE. Sure, your formula works, if your weight is stable over the period, but with someone trying to lose/gain, you're always running late, so to speak (Either over/under).

Your formula makes a critically incorrect assumption: Your TDEE is constant over the time period, which is why I said it would work better if you shortened the period to 4 weeks, rather than 12 months.

Eat Train? Never heard of them. IIFYM? Scooby? Well accepted sources of data in the fitness community, from runners to body builders. I'll take their well tested methods over Eat Train progress groups any day.

I am aware of the fact TDEE changes every time you lose weight as I mentioned in my post.

Eat Train Progress Yah I am not surprised by the fact you aren't in that group otherwise you wouldn't be throwing numbers out at posters without all the knowledge required.

You do what you want...you don't like the formula don't use it...no skin off my nose...

My point really is this...and let me bold it for you okay...

do not throw numbers out to posters who are new to weight loss without all the knowledge you need to give them those numbers....and since you will not have that...don't throw numbers out.

Exits gracefully.

I didn't "throw out numbers". I took given facts by OP, made some reasonable assumption (3 days a week, 30 minutes of light activity, and a sedentary job), and provided a tested calculation based on that.

You don't like my numbers. Fine. I don't care. They are reasonable numbers, under reasonable assumptions. And, far more accurate than a 1 year average of TDEE, for which data doesn't even exist.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »
    RWClary wrote: »
    Case in point, I got up 2 hours ago and since then lost over half a pound just because of bathroom visits.
    Same here - 0.4 pounds lost....and I know, because I weigh everything!
    :)
    i0glw4e9hxbx.jpg

This post is upsetting...

nwF9D.gif

Why?

What's he weighing to determine that he lost weight from going to the bathroom?! shudder
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I am also 5 2 and 47 year's old. Being short we really do have a small window so logging for weight loss is extremely important and some kind of activity as this will help offset any inaccurate logging.

I tried this last year it's the first time I had tried to lose weight. I was logging ok but not moving enough. I know for me I have keep my calorie at 1200 - 1300 a day but I walk between 2.5 - 3 miles per day.

I have been back at this for a month and have lost 8.4 pounds. I know now I am doing it the right way for my body.

Please stop using your height as the sole reason for eating 1200 calories. I'm 5'2", 45 y/o, and maintain on 1900-2000 calories a day. Unless you're trapped working out in a Jefferies tube, being short has no bearing.

Um, being short, coupled with activity level has a whole lot to do with it. Which is why every TDEE calculator requires your height.

She said:
    "Being short we really do have a small window so logging for weight loss is extremely important"

Just being short. That's all. That's the most important part of her TDEE (it isn't). That would mean anyone 5'2" or shorter has to eat less than her because they are not the same height. I would be stuck eating 1200-1300 calories per day because I am also 5'2". That's what I'm taking issue with. Being short shouldn't be singled out as they key factor to how many calories to eat each day.

It makes me sad that people truly believe their height is the sole reason for eating so little.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    First off, I'm 5'2 and I weighed a steady 130 lbs for years. Over the winter I slowly gained weight, until I got to 144. In January I started a 1200cal diet with cardio exercise, and gained 2 pounds. Last week, I read that for some RARE women, 1200 may not be enough for weight loss, so I (maybe stupidly), restricted to 800cals. I worked out like crazy every day. I gained another pound. I feel so frustrated I want to cry. In hindsight, I know 800 was probably too little. I should have done 1000. But still! I don't know what else to do. I'm only 21 years old. I'm trying to get to 120 lbs. Please feel free to add me for Support as well.

Assuming exercising 3 times weekly for 30 mins at a light intensity, currently 144 lbs, and a sedentary job, your TDEE is 1643 cals per day.

You're short (No offense meant), but you're fighting an uphill battle. Any error in your logging could completely wipe any deficit you might have.

Buy and use a food scale, to get the most accurate logging possible. I would not recommend logging your exercise in the app, as the estimates for caloric burn rate are way off. Set your daily goal to 1200, log accurately, and see what happens for a bit. I'm guessing overestimation of caloric burn coupled with inaccurate logging is what is doing you in. Very heavy individuals can error greatly in both, and still see results, because their TDEE is so high to being with. You're only 20 lbs over, have a low TDEE, so you need to really knuckle down on the logging aspect.

I checked on a site that I find close to actuals and with exercise and age and other stats it calculates it at 2k....

Bear in mind, I also made some assumptions, which I laid out, and OP didn't provide (ie, intensity level of exercise, time/frequency of exercise, and daily activity level).

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=female&age=21&lbs=144&in=61&act=1.375&f=1

this one is higher than yours as well....hence the reason giving out numbers is not a good idea.

need to be accurate with consumption using a food scale of course and at least 21 days.

Personally, I don't like to use the sites you supplied, due to lack of granularity in what data you provide. ie, how much exercise and for how long...

@coreyreichle you missed the most important part of my post...how to calculate your own tdee without assumptions and websites.

and the fact you shouldn't throw numbers at folks without really knowing the facts.

Your simplistic formula fails to take into account the fact that your TDEE changes based current, or sloped weight, though, so it's fairly inaccurate.

I used the facts I knew (She supplied), added some reasonable assumptions to fill out the required data, provided the source (When asked) so she could do it on her own.

To boil is down, your simple formula doesn't work. It would work well if you limited it to a data set of 4 weeks, as weight changes don't happen that quickly.

So, you shouldn't throw around formulas that are untested, because you don't like time tested formula/calculators.

It is a simple formula that is correct but it has been tested numerous times by those in the Eat Train progress group and I trust SideSteel and Sara with the information they provide way over a website where one is making assumptions and throwing arbitrary numbers out to someone that they don't know much about just some info on a forum post.

SMH

FYI if you use rolling data you get your accurate tdee and it's much more accurate than those sites you use, and based on your own assertions TDEE changes (correct) based on weight and activity...so your sites will have to be visited as much as the formula has to be calculated...keep in mind the formula doesn't make assumptions.

If I were to include data in an average from 1 year ago in my TDEE calcs, it would push me over my TDEE. Sure, your formula works, if your weight is stable over the period, but with someone trying to lose/gain, you're always running late, so to speak (Either over/under).

Your formula makes a critically incorrect assumption: Your TDEE is constant over the time period, which is why I said it would work better if you shortened the period to 4 weeks, rather than 12 months.

Eat Train? Never heard of them. IIFYM? Scooby? Well accepted sources of data in the fitness community, from runners to body builders. I'll take their well tested methods over Eat Train progress groups any day.

I am aware of the fact TDEE changes every time you lose weight as I mentioned in my post.

Eat Train Progress Yah I am not surprised by the fact you aren't in that group otherwise you wouldn't be throwing numbers out at posters without all the knowledge required.

You do what you want...you don't like the formula don't use it...no skin off my nose...

do not throw numbers out to posters who are new to weight loss without all the knowledge you need to give them those numbers....and since you will not have that...don't throw numbers out.

Exits gracefully.

I didn't "throw out numbers". I took given facts by OP, made some reasonable assumption (3 days a week, 30 minutes of light activity, and a sedentary job), and provided a tested calculation based on that.

You don't like my numbers. Fine. I don't care. They are reasonable numbers, under reasonable assumptions. And, far more accurate than a 1 year average of TDEE, for which data doesn't even exist.

Yes you did and no they aren't reasonable.

which is not a reasonable TDEE for a women who is 144lbs. who said...
    I worked out like crazy every day

one of these days you will get it...hope I am here to see it...*smiles*
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I am also 5 2 and 47 year's old. Being short we really do have a small window so logging for weight loss is extremely important and some kind of activity as this will help offset any inaccurate logging.

I tried this last year it's the first time I had tried to lose weight. I was logging ok but not moving enough. I know for me I have keep my calorie at 1200 - 1300 a day but I walk between 2.5 - 3 miles per day.

I have been back at this for a month and have lost 8.4 pounds. I know now I am doing it the right way for my body.

Please stop using your height as the sole reason for eating 1200 calories. I'm 5'2", 45 y/o, and maintain on 1900-2000 calories a day. Unless you're trapped working out in a Jefferies tube, being short has no bearing.

Um, being short, coupled with activity level has a whole lot to do with it. Which is why every TDEE calculator requires your height.

She said:
    "Being short we really do have a small window so logging for weight loss is extremely important"

Just being short. That's all. That's the most important part of her TDEE (it isn't). That would mean anyone 5'2" or shorter has to eat less than her because they are not the same height. I would be stuck eating 1200-1300 calories per day because I am also 5'2". That's what I'm taking issue with. Being short shouldn't be singled out as they key factor to how many calories to eat each day.

It makes me sad that people truly believe their height is the sole reason for eating so little.

Whoa wait that's not what that would mean at all. You took a lot from things she didn't say or imply. She didn't say "the shorter you are, the less you get to eat". She didn't say "every person that's one height has to eat the same calories". She didn't even say anything that implied that. All she said was "short people" have less wiggle room (otherwise known as "a small window") in diets, therefore logging has to be accurate.

The rest of the nonsense you're attributing to her came from you, not her.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the thread... but OP you're eating more than you think.

/thread
  • StephanieLMcQuinn
    StephanieLMcQuinn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. First off, no need to be so rude to each other! Second off, I truly am logging everything. Down to the tiniest drops of olive oil. And I measure everything, although I do NOT have a scale, so I guess I'll be investing in that to make sure I'm being mega accurate. :) Even so, my current logs can't be far off at all.

I know I know, I jumped the gun, I just panicked. ): I've never felt this fat in my life and it's really upsetting to me. I suppose I do have to wait at least a month. :)

Last note: I'm type one diabetic, and I've mentioned to my doctor what I'm doing, she told me to be careful and if I ever feel lightheaded to add 200 cals to my daily. So I have her OK on this, even if it was hesitant. :)

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. First off, no need to be so rude to each other! Second off, I truly am logging everything. Down to the tiniest drops of olive oil. And I measure everything, although I do NOT have a scale, so I guess I'll be investing in that to make sure I'm being mega accurate. :) Even so, my current logs can't be far off at all.

I know I know, I jumped the gun, I just panicked. ): I've never felt this fat in my life and it's really upsetting to me. I suppose I do have to wait at least a month. :)

Last note: I'm type one diabetic, and I've mentioned to my doctor what I'm doing, she told me to be careful and if I ever feel lightheaded to add 200 cals to my daily. So I have her OK on this, even if it was hesitant. :)

They really can be, believe it or not. Weighing food instead of eyeballing or measuring can be very eye opening. And sad. Like the first time you weigh what you thought was a tablespoon of peanut butter. :'(

Or happy like the first time you weigh feta cheese.

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    maxxeckert wrote: »
    If you are not losing weight on 800-1200 calories, then you are logging inaccurately. It is near impossible to not lose weight with that caloric intake.

Precisely. You are just eating more than you think. It is that simple.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. First off, no need to be so rude to each other! Second off, I truly am logging everything. Down to the tiniest drops of olive oil. And I measure everything, #1 although I do NOT have a scale, so I guess I'll be investing in that to make sure I'm being mega accurate. :) Even so, #2 my current logs can't be far off at all.

#1 Get a digital scale
    #2 Oh yes they can if you arent weighing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpHykP6e_Uk

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

They really can be, believe it or not. Weighing food instead of eyeballing or measuring can be very eye opening. And sad. Like the first time you weigh what you thought was a tablespoon of peanut butter. :'(

Or happy like the first time you weigh feta cheese.

This 100%.

You're in for an awakening, believe me.
  • Francl27
    Options
    You're still eating more than you think.

Either that or you have a big medical issue and should really go see a doctor... but my guess it that it's not the case.

Weighing food and using accurate entries is important. Using the right entries for cooked food, dry food, raw food... packaged food that can be off by 30% on the label AND weigh more than what the label says, or just underestimating everything by 30%... It's VERY easy to be off by quite a lot.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

Get a food scale. Measuring food is not very accurate. Chances are your eating more then you think and your retaining water from exercise.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Yep time to get a food scale OP.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

SMH

Exits gracefully.

They are completely reasonable. Most people have no idea what "working out like crazy every day" really means. People assume I do that too, and they know how far, and how long I run for. It's really not much, maybe 300-500 cals worth per day, and that's for 1.5 hours of exercising a day, 5 days per week, and my TDEE is only ~2200 cals as a 5'10" male, weighing 170lbs.

Sure. You believe what you like is reasonable. I provided sourcing. You gave an overly simplistic, and incorrect formula to follow.

There's nothing I need to "get". I've already "got it". I've reached my goal weight already, and am working on maintenance. I arrived here, on schedule, per iifym.com's calculator.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    If you end up getting a food scale, please come back and let us know if that was the reason. I would be interested to see if you figure out if you actually were eating too many and that was the reason.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    RWClary wrote: »
    Case in point, I got up 2 hours ago and since then lost over half a pound just because of bathroom visits.
    Same here - 0.4 pounds lost....and I know, because I weigh everything!
    :)
    i0glw4e9hxbx.jpg

This post is upsetting...

nwF9D.gif

Why?

What's he weighing to determine that he lost weight from going to the bathroom?! shudder

Is it poop on those scales ? :worried:

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

SMH

Exits gracefully.

They are completely reasonable. Most people have no idea what "working out like crazy every day" really means. People assume I do that too, and they know how far, and how long I run for. It's really not much, maybe 300-500 cals worth per day, and that's for 1.5 hours of exercising a day, 5 days per week, and my TDEE is only ~2200 cals as a 5'10" male, weighing 170lbs.

Sure. You believe what you like is reasonable. I provided sourcing. You gave an overly simplistic, and incorrect formula to follow.

There's nothing I need to "get". I've already "got it". I've reached my goal weight already, and am working on maintenance. I arrived here, on schedule, per iifym.com's calculator.

Just a few questions. Do you have a medical issue or are you otherwise sedentary? I ask because for your stats a TDEE of 2200 seems kind of low. I'm 5'3", 115 pounds, and a female and my TDEE is 2200 to 2600. I didn't really think I was all that active.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

SMH

Exits gracefully.

Just a few questions. Do you have a medical issue or are you otherwise sedentary? I ask because for your stats a TDEE of 2200 seems kind of low. I'm 5'3", 115 pounds, and a female and my TDEE is 2200 to 2600. I didn't really think I was all that active.

See to me your TDEE seems high. I'm 5'4", 135-140lbs, lightly active and have a TDEE of 1800....
  • Francl27
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    synacious wrote: »

SMH

Exits gracefully.

See to me your TDEE seems high. I'm 5'4", 135-140lbs, lightly active and have a TDEE of 1800....

I'm 5'5", 136 pounds and my TDEE is 2200... I'm also 7 years older than you. You must be eating more than you think...