Muscle gaining misconceptions

Options

Replies

• mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    So we r saying that if u r in a slight calorie deficit and lift weights, ur muscles don't respond to the stress being put on?

Of course they respond to the stress. First and foremost you will build strength, which is more than just building muscles mass. And yes, you can build muscle while on a deficit...thigh it slower.

In the past 4 plus months I have dropped 40 lbs. I have gained strength in every lift (leg press from 255 to 400, bench from 150 to 200, EZ curl from 45 to 75) and while losing 2" on my neck, 6" on my waist, I have kept my arm size and quad size...and both show musculature...there is muscle growth.

Now of course, if I was not in a significant deficit, I might have been able to add more mass or strength, but I don't really want more size...and being stronger isn't really important.

Also, there are other factors one considers such as age, testosterone in the body, sleep,
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    mjwarbeck wrote: »
    So we r saying that if u r in a slight calorie deficit and lift weights, ur muscles don't respond to the stress being put on?

Of course they respond to the stress. First and foremost you will build strength, which is more than just building muscles mass. And yes, you can build muscle while on a deficit...thigh it slower.

In the past 4 plus months I have dropped 40 lbs. I have gained strength in every lift (leg press from 255 to 400, bench from 150 to 200, EZ curl from 45 to 75) and while losing 2" on my neck, 6" on my waist, I have kept my arm size and quad size...and both show musculature...there is muscle growth.

Now of course, if I was not in a significant deficit, I might have been able to add more mass or strength, but I don't really want more size...and being stronger isn't really important.

Also, there are other factors one considers such as age, testosterone in the body, sleep,
    Showing musculature doesn't necessarily equate to adding muscle though. Especially in a calorie deficit, muscle is quite hard to add on without any "assistance" due to the fact that adding muscle means adding mass. And many people confuse the issue of exchanging fat weight for muscle weight. It doesn't happen quite the way people think.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I believe recomposition is possible but not easy. Genetics plays a big role. Nutrition is also a big factor.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I believe recomposition is possible but not easy. Genetics plays a big role. Nutrition is also a big factor.
    Definitely possible. Much tougher to do as you get older due to testosterone reduction and usually progressive resistance starts ceding faster.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Definitely possible. Much tougher to do as you get older due to testosterone reduction and usually progressive resistance starts ceding faster.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Eric Helms has a nice article he put out a few days ago, touching on this.
    http://muscleandstrengthpyramids.com/calorie-deficit-gain-weight/
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Whoah.. A little over my head. Did it say that recomposition is possible but harder in trained individuals?
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Whoah.. A little over my head. Did it say that recomposition is possible but harder in trained individuals?

That's what he is providing as the conclusion.

"The main thing we want you, dear reader, to take home from this article is this – recomposition is normal. It happens – less so in trained individuals, but much more in untrained, new lifters. It’s not necessarily something to aim for, but be aware of it and how it can affect your scale weight if you use that as a metric to gauge progress for either you or your clients."
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Does gaining in strength by doing a progressive lifting program while in a deficit make hypertrophy easier when not in a deficit anymore?

Ex: if I train myself to bench press 50 lbs instead of 25 lbs, then when I have lost fat and eat at maintenance or surplus, is it easier to grow muscles while being able to lift higher amounts of weight?
  • ninerbuff
    edited April 2016
    Options
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    Does gaining in strength by doing a progressive lifting program while in a deficit make hypertrophy easier when not in a deficit anymore?

Ex: if I train myself to bench press 50 lbs instead of 25 lbs, then when I have lost fat and eat at maintenance or surplus, is it easier to grow muscles while being able to lift higher amounts of weight?
    Well if you can bench 50lbs in deficit, then once you start a surplus, energy balance will help you to increase the poundage, thereby continuing progressive resistance. That's basically the way you add muscle on (hypertrophy).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    And yes if you want to build muscle, you're going to add mass. That does require a surplus.

A little off topic....but if recomping is eating around maintenance, and a 250cal surplus is recommended as the minimum for bulking, is there a chance of adding a little additional mass if one does a slightly smaller surplus of 100-150?

• ninerbuff
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    And yes if you want to build muscle, you're going to add mass. That does require a surplus.

A little off topic....but if recomping is eating around maintenance, and a 250cal surplus is recommended as the minimum for bulking, is there a chance of adding a little additional mass if one does a slightly smaller surplus of 100-150?
    Any surplus with a good resistance training program will encourage muscle hypertrophy.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    This is one for the more experience lifters. I've recently scene a video by a natural bodybuilder stating you don't necessarily have to eat in a constant surplus to make muscle gains,(a bulk) but that anytime you eat you put your body into a surplus this giving it the potential to start repairing and growing. Then whenever you go a few hours without eating it puts your body into a deficit, since you're burning energy that you're currently not supplying your body with.

Basically what he was saying is to eat every 1-2 hours but only the amount that you feel you need, not eating to the point where you feel absolutely stuff. Obviously a diet consisting of nutritionally dense foods being required. I've been doing the tried and true bulk/cuts for coming up on 1.5 years resulting in close to 26lbs gained in lean mass. I was just curious as to what others opinions on his theory might be.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    This is one for the more experience lifters. I've recently scene a video by a natural bodybuilder stating you don't necessarily have to eat in a constant surplus to make muscle gains,(a bulk) but that anytime you eat you put your body into a surplus this giving it the potential to start repairing and growing. Then whenever you go a few hours without eating it puts your body into a deficit, since you're burning energy that you're currently not supplying your body with.

Basically what he was saying is to eat every 1-2 hours but only the amount that you feel you need, not eating to the point where you feel absolutely stuff. Obviously a diet consisting of nutritionally dense foods being required. I've been doing the tried and true bulk/cuts for coming up on 1.5 years resulting in close to 26lbs gained in lean mass. I was just curious as to what others opinions on his theory might be.
    Total calories at the end of the day matter. Meal timing and amount don't matter if one is staying within the parameters of calories needed to be in a surplus. Most bodybuilders rely on anecdotes and will stick to them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• jessef593
    Options

Total calories at the end of the day matter. Meal timing and amount don't matter if one is staying within the parameters of calories needed to be in a surplus. Most bodybuilders rely on anecdotes and will stick to them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thanks for the reply, just wanted to bounce it off of you. Things would be so much simpler if it worked that way.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • jessef593
    Options
    Oh hey you brought it back.

I'll shoot. For those who are striving to tone certain muscle groups you'll find that your progress will be fairly stagnant. Since you cannot tone a muscle, you can either reduce your total body fat, no singular spot through a caloric deficit. Or you can increase your underlying muscle mass through progressive overload and a calorie surplus.
    Sad news for any of the New Years resolutioners that are just getting into it, but it's info worth knowing.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Oh hey you brought it back.

I'll shoot. For those who are striving to tone certain muscle groups you'll find that your progress will be fairly stagnant. Since you cannot tone a muscle, you can either reduce your total body fat, no singular spot through a caloric deficit. Or you can increase your underlying muscle mass through progressive overload and a calorie surplus.
    Sad news for any of the New Years resolutioners that are just getting into it, but it's info worth knowing.
    Just noting here that any improvement in one's current muscle mass will enhance not only one's strength, but when the fat starts to reduce, visual muscularity. Many times people don't try to add any more muscle after they see what their physique's look like when body fat is down to 15%-20%.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• stephmph16
    stephmph16 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your insight!

I'm a newbie to lifting, and I'm currently losing weight and seeing new muscle (or maybe not new muscle, but muscle that was hiding under fat?)

I have about 15 lbs I'd like to lose, but I really like lifting and want to get more muscular. So should I plan to continue my calorie deficit until I lose the 15 lbs, then build mass/muscle once I get to my goal fat/weight loss?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    stephmph16 wrote: »
    Thank you for your insight!

I'm a newbie to lifting, and I'm currently losing weight and seeing new muscle (or maybe not new muscle, but muscle that was hiding under fat?)

I have about 15 lbs I'd like to lose, but I really like lifting and want to get more muscular. So should I plan to continue my calorie deficit until I lose the 15 lbs, then build mass/muscle once I get to my goal fat/weight loss?
    Go about losing your 15lbs and reassess when you get there. You may like what you see or you may not. Then at that point you can make a new plan of action.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png