April 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 Thanks for all the info. I think you addressed this in your post, I am looking to try stuff now is not so much because I need the fuel, but because I want to try it in a "controlled" setting, where I'm not on a big run and farther from home, in case I have a not so happy reaction to the food, and log how things go in my training log.

OK! Good to hear! Well, then that was for anyone else new that may have been reading along in the discussion.

yup. Just wanted to clarify. I've been running on an empty stomach for my runs out to 6-7 miles 60-75 minutes and not needed the food, it's also a way to mix things up with the run, and keep me entertained and not bored.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,103 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    01/04 4 miles
    04/04 5 miles
    05/04 4 miles
    06/04 4 miles
    08/04 5 miles
    09/04 4 miles
    11/04 4 miles
    13/04 4 miles - really struggled today. I was supposed to run yesterday too but didn't have energy. I must have picked up some sort of bug.

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning 3am. Way to up the bar.. Craziness.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Yeah....That's like 2 hours before I get up, but I'm only going 4 miles...
  • CChen8520
    CChen8520 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    managed to squeeze in a 5k before starting another 14hr work day....

exercise.png
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @Marissaxzxzxz Feel better soon :)

@Stoshew71 I enjoyed your info on gels, etc. Not sure I'll ever need them but find it interesting.

@5BeautifulDays Hope your day goes better today. Sorry about your friend :(

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

Just when I think I'm totally bada$$ for running at 5 a.m., someone comes along and squishes my fabulousness. ;) jk - wtg for getting it in!
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    4/01: Off, rest day
    4/02: 12 miles, long and easy
    4/03: 8K race - 36:36 (7:22 pace) - new PR! + 1 mile warm up
    4/04: 4 miles, easy
    4/05: 5 miles, easy
    4/06: 5 miles total, 2 miles @ 7:38 (LT) pace (am)
    4/06: 4 miles, easy (pm)
    4/07: 5 miles, easy
    4/08: Off, rest day
    4/09: Half Marathon - 1:53:11 - treated as a long run with strong finish
    4/10: 4 miles, easy
    4/11: 6 miles, easy
    4/12: 7 miles total, 3x1 mile repeats @ 7:19 pace
    4/13: 6 miles, easy (am)
    Total: 77.45 miles

Overview:
    An easy 6 miles this morning. My legs felt pretty wasted from last night’s speed work, but they finally loosened up a bit by the last two miles. Very sunny and cool out today! I felt about ready to take off my long sleeve shirt by the end of the run. It’s finally starting to feel like spring!!!

exercise.png

Races I'm registered for:
    04/03 - Shamrock Shuffle (8K) 36:36 - new 8K PR!
    04/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon 1:53:11 - took it nice and easy
    04/24 - Ravenswood Run (5K)
    05/22 - Chicago Spring 13.1
    05/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
    07/21 - Esprit de She 5K
    09/10 - Magnificent Mile Half Marathon
    09/25 - Chicago Lifetime 5K
    10/09 - Chicago Marathon
    10/30 - Hot Chocolate 5K
    11/27 - Space Coast Half Marathon
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays: I really hope your son gets better, soon, and I am 100% thinking of your friend. I hope she is able to treat it and pulls through the cancer with flying colors - it is such an awful, terrible, horrible disease.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Re: fuel -- Personally, I can't stand the texture of GU. It's too thick for me. I prefer Honey Stinger gels and Power Bar gels. Both brands have decent sample packs on Amazon! As a Honey Stinger ambassador, I like to remind people that GU isn't the only option out there if you aren't crazy about the texture, flavors, etc.!

I'm all about trying new stuff. I'll have to check the ingredients. Thanks!

What @stoshew71 said. I only use something for HM. I run 10 - 12 mile long runs with nothing, usually not even water if it's not hot out. That being said, I'm a fruit snack or tootsie roll girl on long races (like HM). Almost everything "running" I have tried I don't care for the texture of or they make me really thirsty. Fruit snacks seem to work the best and are a perfect size to pop in my mouth while running. Second would be Honey Stinger gels. Our local Academy sells running food. That being said, I have a friend who will give her daughter honey stingers or something similiar 15 mins before her races whether it's 1, 2 or 3 miles. I don't see the point to that, is there a point to that?

@5BeautifulDays hugs
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »

Just when I think I'm totally bada$$ for running at 5 a.m., someone comes along and squishes my fabulousness. ;) jk - wtg for getting it in!
    Nothing competitive here.:smile: I'm just trying to fit my mid-week long run in with the kids school, work, etc.

But...

I wonder who will be first to run at 2am??? :smiley:
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Nothing competitive here.:smile: I'm just trying to fit my mid-week long run in with the kids school, work, etc.

But...

If I ever get to a 10 mile mid week run......
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Fast Jeff, Young Jeff, and me.

@MobyCarp I think this is a universal way of tagging people in what ever event you / we are doing. In my local group we have Biker Steve ( $10,000.00 Carbon Fiber Tri-Bike & kit and a $5,000.00 Car ), Old Steve ( he's 18 ), Young Steve ( he's 55 ) and Steve.

Actually, it's just a way to describe them on semi-anonymous message boards without using their surnames. They're both named Jeff, so I need to distinguish them. Fast Jeff is 5 years younger than me, and faster than Young Jeff who is 10 years younger than me. But we're all close enough to the same speed to do our long runs together.

Do you wear inserts in your shoes? I have extremely high arches and they tend to "collapse' on long runs. My foot doctor recommended OTC inserts as a substitute for custom orthotics (I like PowerStep brand or SuperFeet). You can buy them at any running store or online.

Yes, I wear Superfeet Blue as directed by my podiatrist. But I suspect you meant to address @MNLittleFinn instead of me.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

But...

Are we talking about getting up at 2am? What if we stayed up all night and got a run in at 2 am?
    Just asking... uhhh... for a friend.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

But...

It won't be me. I don't want to get up before 9.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Are we talking about getting up at 2am? What if we stayed up all night and got a run in at 2 am?
    Just asking... uhhh... for a friend.

My philosophy on life is it's the next day until you go to bed, so you'd have to take a nap from 0100-0200 for it to count.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Don't feel compelled that you need to take something just to make it for 90 minutes. In my experience, if you are eating a normal healthy diet, you are relatively healthy, your long runs are at a nice easy pace, and you are not running more than 90 minutes, eating something on the run may actually delay progress as opposed to helping you. You should have enough energy to make it through the run as long as you are running that longer run at an easy conversational pace. The idea is that you want to begin exhausting your stored carbs and forcing your body to tap into your stored fat for energy.

You can certainly train to run 90 minutes while not taking anything. You can also train to run 90 minutes with no water. But that doesn't help your performance on longer runs when you absolutely need to refuel and have more water.

I am persuaded by a buddy who does Iron Man Tris when he says much of the point of refueling on training runs is to teach your body to digest on the run instead of totally shutting down the digestive system in favor of supporting the running effort. No, I don't need to take a gel every 5 miles on an easy run; but I have experienced degrading quality of run if I don't take the gel timely. How much is the calories and how much is the electrolytes, I can't say; I can say that the body's scream for a gel is lessened since I started carrying Nuun in addition to water for the electrolytes.

This winter, the rules for the indoor track prohibited food and drink. I ended up with some 9 to 12 mile workouts with no fuel, some at speed. Yes, I can do it. I also needed to take some of the recovery interval to hit the drinking fountain, before I gave up and wore my hydration belt on the track. Hydration is another training thing. Yes, I can run 10 miles with no water. But if I train to take fluids, my body will be used to it and I will be psychologically prepared to take small quantities of fluid throughout the run. That will be important when I'm running a marathon, and sometimes important in a half or even shorter races in adverse weather conditions.

I can't believe how many runners I saw at Shoreline Half, 98% humidity and 85°, carrying no water. There weren't enough water stops to support a half marathon under those condition.

*Can* and *should* are two different things. I can run quite a ways without fuel and water. But I will be in better shape physically if I have them. What works for fuel? Right now, I use GU, Clif Shot gels, and Sport Beans. I suspect I could use a wide variety of products, and I might even be okay with real food. But for now, I'm using what I have used because it has worked for me.

THBS, GU might well be a waste of time and money for someone who isn't going to run a race longer than a 10K. This, notwithstanding my observation that I've improved a couple of 10Ks by taking a GU between 4 and 5 miles.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Fast Jeff, Young Jeff, and me.

@MobyCarp I think this is a universal way of tagging people in what ever event you / we are doing. In my local group we have Biker Steve ( $10,000.00 Carbon Fiber Tri-Bike & kit and a $5,000.00 Car ), Old Steve ( he's 18 ), Young Steve ( he's 55 ) and Steve.

Actually, it's just a way to describe them on semi-anonymous message boards without using their surnames. They're both named Jeff, so I need to distinguish them. Fast Jeff is 5 years younger than me, and faster than Young Jeff who is 10 years younger than me. But we're all close enough to the same speed to do our long runs together.

Do you wear inserts in your shoes? I have extremely high arches and they tend to "collapse' on long runs. My foot doctor recommended OTC inserts as a substitute for custom orthotics (I like PowerStep brand or SuperFeet). You can buy them at any running store or online.

Yes, I wear Superfeet Blue as directed by my podiatrist. But I suspect you meant to address @MNLittleFinn instead of me.

LOL...Yes, you are correct!!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options

What @stoshew71 said. I only use something for HM. I run 10 - 12 mile long runs with nothing, usually not even water if it's not hot out. That being said, I'm a fruit snack or tootsie roll girl on long races (like HM). Almost everything "running" I have tried I don't care for the texture of or they make me really thirsty. Fruit snacks seem to work the best and are a perfect size to pop in my mouth while running. Second would be Honey Stinger gels. Our local Academy sells running food. That being said, I have a friend who will give her daughter honey stingers or something similiar 15 mins before her races whether it's 1, 2 or 3 miles. I don't see the point to that, is there a point to that?

Tootsie rolls!? I didn't know that was option! I'm all in for that! I remember that fabnine said she ran with peanut M&Ms which sounded fun to me, but in Florida they would be a mess. Now I want tootsie rolls!

I hate carrying water - tried all kinds of options. I like to plant the water somewhere in advance and then find it... and pray it's there and not been tampered with. But if I'm on a long run in the heat I will carry it.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays I am so sorry about your son. Prayers for him.
    I am also sorry for your best friend. That must be tough.
    @5BeautifulDays: I really hope your son gets better, soon, and I am 100% thinking of your friend. I hope she is able to treat it and pulls through the cancer with flying colors - it is such an awful, terrible, horrible disease.

Thanks all. I hate cancer, and my heart hurts for all that she has ahead of her in fighting back against it. She's tough, though. She completed her first long-distance walk (the Avon 39 mile walk for breast cancer, actually) with fallen arches. She can't run anymore because of her foot problems, but she's been such a cheerleader to me in my endeavors.

My little guy is still punky, but because I'm now terrorized that all vomiting equals DKA, I've checked his sugars a few times to make sure that he doesn't have diabetes. You'd think I wanted to amputate his hand, lol. I told him his big brother has to do that 8 times a day--he is now convinced that his brother is some sort of iron man. :)