April 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    4leighbee wrote: »
    I'm wondering if there's anybody that could give me advice about organizing a 5k walk/run for my community. I coach Girls on the Run and also work at a library where our theme for summer is the library Olympics. I have been given the ok to have a 5k for the library but now I am not sure how to get the whole thing organized please message me if you have any ideas and they will be greatly appreciated!!

I would create a little committee and delegate well. Put someone enthusiastic, well-connected, well-liked in the community, and gracious to handle gathering in-kind donations for race food, awards, and give-aways, if you choose to do that.

Definitely connect with other leaders in the running community - or, if not, then maybe get PE teachers involved (get the kids = get the grown-ups). Start gathering volunteers now. Check with the HS track/XC coaches/guidance counselors and ask for volunteers from the teams (service hours?). Find someone experienced and reliable to work the clock and map/mark the course. Seek a sponsor for t-shirts (then give them lots of credit). Market your event early and often. I did event planning in a rural county, and it was all about thinking of where everybody went ... we became great friends with the churches, the banks, doctors offices, schools, etc. You never know what connection will lead you to a nice sponsorship or a volunteer who just kicks butt to get people to your event. Folks who do event planning for other events (i.e., Relay for Life) are accustomed to getting it done and might be willing to give you some pointers, too! Good luck! Sounds fun!

You may also need the town's support to shut roads off and police to monitor traffic.
    You may also need to have a certified course through USTAF.

Right! And I guess I'd also consult someone about liability. I know the little disclaimer that we all sign every time doesn't protect anyone from a civil suit if something goes awry, so I guess I'd ask around to others who have put races on. I bet someone else on here knows about that.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I'm wondering if there's anybody that could give me advice about organizing a 5k walk/run for my community. I coach Girls on the Run and also work at a library where our theme for summer is the library Olympics. I have been given the ok to have a 5k for the library but now I am not sure how to get the whole thing organized please message me if you have any ideas and they will be greatly appreciated!!

I would create a little committee and delegate well. Put someone enthusiastic, well-connected, well-liked in the community, and gracious to handle gathering in-kind donations for race food, awards, and give-aways, if you choose to do that.

Definitely connect with other leaders in the running community - or, if not, then maybe get PE teachers involved (get the kids = get the grown-ups). Start gathering volunteers now. Check with the HS track/XC coaches/guidance counselors and ask for volunteers from the teams (service hours?). Find someone experienced and reliable to work the clock and map/mark the course. Seek a sponsor for t-shirts (then give them lots of credit). Market your event early and often. I did event planning in a rural county, and it was all about thinking of where everybody went ... we became great friends with the churches, the banks, doctors offices, schools, etc. You never know what connection will lead you to a nice sponsorship or a volunteer who just kicks butt to get people to your event. Folks who do event planning for other events (i.e., Relay for Life) are accustomed to getting it done and might be willing to give you some pointers, too! Good luck! Sounds fun!

You may also need the town's support to shut roads off and police to monitor traffic.
    You may also need to have a certified course through USTAF.

Right! And I guess I'd also consult someone about liability. I know the little disclaimer that we all sign every time doesn't protect anyone from a civil suit if something goes awry, so I guess I'd ask around to others who have put races on. I bet someone else on here knows about that.

In some states they are quite enforceable. This is another reason to simply coordinate with an already organized event. You can use pre-prepared waivers but their enforceability and necessary language will vary from state to state.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I just realized that if I keep my current schedule, I'm going to exceed my goal by 20-25 miles. Do I up my goal, or keep it and know that it will be relatively easy to make?
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    I'm not particularly advanced as a runner, but this will be my second season out.

I am aiming for 45 running KMs - I say running because I also bike.

I have two races scheduled for April
    04/03 - Around the Bay 5K, Hamilton, Ontario
    04/24 - Forest City Road Races, London, Ontario

04/01 - Rest day (due to 5K on the 3rd)
    04/02 - Rest
    04/03 - Around the Bay - 5K
    04/04 - 2.5 KM
    04/05 - Cross Fit Training
    04/06 - 3.3KM
    04/07 - Cross Training
    04/08 - Rest
    04/09 - 3.2 KM
    04/10 - Cross Training
    04/11 - No Running :( I was lazy
    04/12 - Rest
    04/13 - 2.95 KM

Total for April: 16.95 KM/45 KM

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    MLS1582 wrote: »

5/7 - Sgt. Larner Memorial 10k
    6/25 - Jackson River Scenic Trail 10k
    9/4 - VA Beach R&R Half Marathon

I just noticed that you're a VA gal! I am seriously envious of that Jackson River run you're doing. I love Covington. My husband and I have enjoyed a couple of trips down to a B&B (gosh--years ago now, I don't know if it's still there!) called Milton Hall. It's a bit of a hike from the DC 'burbs, though. Maybe I need to rope the hubby into doing a getaway + run in June for my birthday... :)

I work for a large packaging company and we have a paper mill in Covington. I have been down there for visits on several occasions. The area is soo beautiful!
  • kristinajeang
    kristinajeang Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 1.5 miles
    4/5 - 2 miles
    4/6 - 1.5 miles
    4/13 - 2 miles

7 out of 25 miles done!

I hurt my foot (again), so I took a few days off. My foot is feeling alright now, but I want to take it easy to make sure it gets better this time! I think I will try some trail runs to make it easier. Hopefully I can still reach my goal!

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    4/1-2.5 miles running with the puppy
    4/2-16 miles
    4/3- rest day
    4/4-4.5 miles
    4/5-6 miles w/ 3 @ tempo
    4/6-5.1 miles
    4/7-7 miles
    4/8 3.3 miles
    4/9 20miles
    4/10 rest day
    4/11 yoga only
    4/12-8 miles
    4/13-3.3 miles

I have found myself squeezing my runs in where ever I can these days. My husband and I adopted a new puppy in March and she sure has been keeping us on our toes. I did not realize what a loop she would throw into my daily schedule. Of course, all of the walks and play time are great fun and good exercise, so I'm not really complaining. But on the other hand, I can't wait until our fence is installed!!

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    April

1-no run yet, maybe later
    2-13.2mi
    3-nothing
    4-nothing
    5-5.35
    6-yoga tonight
    7-nope
    8-late night tonight(ani difranco concert), so no run this morning
    9-nothing
    10-nothing
    11-4.27mi
    12- slept in
    13-yoga (foam rolling-esque aerial yoga)
    14-nothing

exercise.png

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - Go way over. It feels great!

Oh, I'm going to chalk up this mornings incident with the pop tarts as carb loading.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I posted a question http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10371935/rebuilding-after-a-setback?new=1 if anyone would like to help :)

@MobyCarp I just noticed you have a 5k for ALS in your race schedule. Maybe just another race for you, but thanks for choosing an ALS fundraiser. My mom passed away from this disease several years ago. I do an ALS walk event every fall.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - Go way over. It feels great!

Oh, I'm going to chalk up this mornings incident with the pop tarts as carb loading.

I think I'm going to do that, it will be good to beat my goal. I thought pop tarts were always carb loading.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I posted a question http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10371935/rebuilding-after-a-setback?new=1 if anyone would like to help :)

@MobyCarp I just noticed you have a 5k for ALS in your race schedule. Maybe just another race for you, but thanks for choosing an ALS fundraiser. My mom passed away from this disease several years ago. I do an ALS walk event every fall.

Well . . . my sister lost a sister-in-law to ALS. Last week, there were two members of my church with ALS. Sadly, now there is only one. So yeah, the Medved 5K to Cure ALS happens to be a Rochester Runner of the Year event; but I have more reasons than that to run this one.
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Well . . . my sister lost a sister-in-law to ALS. Last week, there were two members of my church with ALS. Sadly, now there is only one. So yeah, the Medved 5K to Cure ALS happens to be a Rochester Runner of the Year event; but I have more reasons than that to run this one.

Runs heavily in my family. Grandpa, mom, aunt..... Scary stuff. I'm always sorry to hear of anyone affected.
  • greenolivetree
    Options

I'm a bit torn about the "like" and "awesome" buttons after using them the last couple days. I love that I can acknowledge, praise or otherwise give feedback without adding yet another post to a busy thread. But at the same time it is very impersonal because it does not give that person any clue if anyone gave them a "like" or "awesome" without scrolling back, and even then there is no way to see who hit the buttons. So I almost feel like this option of not replying to people with some simple kudos is almost taking away from part of the positive spirit this thread offers people. Then again, it's still new, so I'm going to keep "liking" and "awesoming" for now.:smile:

I'm feeling the same way about the like/awesome buttons. Needs some tweaking.

• Nicci93
    Nicci93 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

16 days and only 7 more runs until my next half marathon! It's largely downhill so I'm hoping for a PR... I've been struggling with getting three runs in a week though :/

4/1 - Group Power (cross training)
    4/2 - 8 miles
    4/3 - Rest
    4/4 - Spinning (cross training)
    4/5 - 4 miles
    4/6 - Walk
    4/7 - Unplanned rest day
    4/8 - Walk
    4/9 - 8 miles
    4/10 - Rest
    4/11 - Spinning (cross training)
    4/12 - 4 miles
    4/13 - Group Power (cross training)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

@afrench050612 check here: http://www.fleetfeetaugusta.com/resources/creating-a-race-guide This timeline will give you an idea of what you need to do and cover. Fleet Feet sponsors and runs so many races in our area and they a top notch.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 5.5 miles
    4/2 - family day
    4/3 - 5 miles
    4/4 -6 - lazy butt days
    4/7 - 5 miles
    4/8 -9 - rest days
    4/10 - 13.2 Bridge Street Half Marathon
    4/11 - 3.2 recovery miles
    4/12 - 13 - taking care of knee days
    4/14 - 4.3 miles

35 out of 100 miles

exercise.png
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    01/04 4 miles
    04/04 5 miles
    05/04 4 miles
    06/04 4 miles
    08/04 5 miles
    09/04 4 miles
    11/04 4 miles
    13/04 4 miles
    14/04 5miles

exercise.png

@greenolivetree - Thanks, I felt a lot better today whatever it was.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

I'm a bit torn about the "like" and "awesome" buttons after using them the last couple days. I love that I can acknowledge, praise or otherwise give feedback without adding yet another post to a busy thread. But at the same time it is very impersonal because it does not give that person any clue if anyone gave them a "like" or "awesome" without scrolling back, and even then there is no way to see who hit the buttons. So I almost feel like this option of not replying to people with some simple kudos is almost taking away from part of the positive spirit this thread offers people. Then again, it's still new, so I'm going to keep "liking" and "awesoming" for now.:smile:

Yes and if you tried to click on the like number to see who liked a post, you get a rude message about not being able to like your own post, lol. Guilt, embarrassment... but I wasn't being vain and self-promoting, I promise!! ;)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

Yes and if you tried to click on the like number to see who liked a post, you get a rude message about not being able to like your own post, lol. Guilt, embarrassment... but I wasn't being vain and self-promoting, I promise!! ;)

I figured it'd be like the feed. You'd be able to see who likes it.