Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• mellyandme39
    mellyandme39 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the group. Excited to share and get advise. 5 days in to this new stage life. I thought turning down movie popcorn would be the most difficult thing to do..but I just snuck a bite of my kids hot dog...like it was the best tasting thing ever. I logged it. 87 calories. One bite. Bun and all. This is hard.
  • Sgt_Pepper33
    Sgt_Pepper33 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone! I hope you are all doing swell today!

@mellyandme39 Welcome to the group! I'm new too, and so far everyone here has been incredibly helpful and kind. I like getting on here and seeing how each person is progressing and what they are up to! :)

@NewCaddy Happy late birthday! It sounds like you still did a good job! You have to let yourself celebrate sometimes too! Good luck on your upcoming interview! I'm just getting ready to call a couple places myself inquiring on jobs...a bit nervous to get back out there..

So I am having quite an exciting Monday. A lot of mornings, before I get to my somewhat healthy breakfast, I can't wait til it's ready and end up grabbing a little sweet -- a piece of dark chocolate, a marshmallow peep, etc. -- but today I said "Tina, no sweets! You can wait the few minutes til your breakfast is done to eat." And guess what? It turned out I could do it! Another big success: I weigh in on Mondays, and today I was down 2 lbs! That's 11 in total so far! This is the furthest I've gotten in trying to live healthier, and I'm excited to keep going.

I do have a question for you all: Does anyone do their strength training at home with dumbbells? I'm curious what you do with them. I've been trying to do full body toning through videos online, but I'm not sure if this is the best way to go about it. I don't know if that even makes sense! I can do cardio like no other, but strength training I just don't understand. And no money for a gym membership quite yet!

Well, I hope you all have a great start to your week! Thanks for reading!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone ... just dropping by on Monday Check-in Day to say that I have hit upon a realization that I have to force myself to keep off this computer and the only way I can think to do that, that I haven't already tried and failed at, is to break my MFP habit.

I log on here first thing in the morning to finish recording my previous day and start the new day ... and one thing leads to another and the day wears on only to find me still on the computer hours later with nothing constructive or physical done. I refuse to let myself live in a cyber world another day.

So ... like @RobinsEgg ... I am shutting down and going to break this habit one way or another.

As we're heard and read before, it takes a couple of months to break a habit ... so here I go ...
    bye now you all, keep on plugging at losing weight, fostering better health habits, and getting to the new you that you want to be.
    Niki
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Sorry to see people going but I understand why. I've been on MFP for several years, on again and off - I started out strong in 2014 only to be diagnosed with BC. I tried for awhile to keep it up but finally quit even trying. While going through treatment I gained about 30 lbs - my pics from that era make me look like a blimp! But as soon as I was declared cancer free, and the holidays were past, I got back on the ball and made a commitment to good health. I'm doing this as much to prevent future cancer as anything else - studies show a confirmed link between obesity and breast cancer - not that every obese woman will get it, but an increased risk. Soooo... I need to lose this excess weight. I did really well during 2015 losing 40-ish lbs by July, but then my hubs health problems began getting in the way. I managed to maintain my weight loss through November, but then December and daily buffets at work with lots of desserts happened, and I gained back 10 lbs. I'm now back down to 193, 4 lbs to go to get to my lowest weight in 2015. I want to lose another 60 lbs to get within "overweight" range of what is supposed to be a healthy weight for me.... supposedly for my height "normal" weight is 110 - ha, haven't seen that number since 6th grade!!!! Probably never again, either.

I'm having to re-learn the habit of tracking my food, and fighting with my late night snacking. I decided since I work nights, and have to cook for my hubs when I get home, I'm going to try to eat my dinner when he eats his. So I eat breakfast before I leave around 2 pm, have lunch around 7-730, eat snacks the rest of the evening at work, and eat dinner around 1 am. During the week I track all my food and take everything with me to work, so I control my eating. I don't usually get to bed until 4-ish so this is not too bad, except all I do after I get home (besides cook) is putter around the house and then watch tv. I do all my computer stuff at work, BTW, and hardly touch one when I'm home, even on the weekends. On the weekends I'm not so good at tracking everything or controlling my intake.

Does anyone else have a Misfit Shine? I've had mine since October and loved it at first, now I can't get it to sync even when I have both Bluetooth tethering and WiFi on on my phone. I changed the battery, too, and tried turning the phone off then on, nothing.... I'm thinking of getting a Fitbit, one with a true watch feature. Maybe a Charge HR. The support on Misfit sucks... their website is more about selling than supporting their products.

Tracy
    TX (the other one @NewCaddy is in ND and if you ever saw any of her cake pix, you'd faint! So very talented, too bad you can't make a career of that, though I don't know how you do it and still stick to a diet! )
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Tracy commented about my cakes - thank you. The best thing about me making cakes is I am not tempted to eat it anymore. This is my latest cake. All edible except the sticks holding up the pterodactyls.

btbqz0meqkjv.jpg
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @tracy (nd)-- awesome cake!! You are so right about everyone being happy when mom is happy!!

@tracy (tx)-- I'm also working on logging everything. I tend to "give up" if it's not easy stuff that's already in the database.

@niki-- totally understand about needing to stay off the computer.

@sgtpepper-- I have a set of 5 lb dumb bells at home, but I don't really ever use them. I tend to lift heavier at the gym. However, I bet there are lots of workouts on youtube.

@melly-- welcome!

@kelley-- I'll have to check that out when the time comes to replace our slow cooker.

AFM-- got a few papers graded. One was horrendous which made it hard to continue. Tomorrow, I will try to get a few more graded throughout the school day.

After school, I plan to hit the gym, and then I have to do laundry and pack for my three nights at IEA RA.

Grading Goals:
    1. 7/41 AP Lit Theory papers
    2. 10/10 AP analysis activities DONE
    3. x/59 JRP essay drafts
    4. x/21 Speech tests

Fitness Goals for the month of April:
    I will run 3x/week and at least 2 5ks/week
    Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 2/2 5k; Week 2 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 3 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish twice with no walking breaks: 1/2
    I will run an 8k three times: 1/3

You vs Year Challenge:
    140 k done/ 860 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner + gym
    Wed-- rest day
    Thurs-- work out at hotel
    Fri-- work out at hotel
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 216 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @GOINSTD12 I have a Misfit Flash. I really like the device itself, but the supporting app is just terrible. I wound up disconnecting it from MFP because it was giving me ridiculous calorie burns for relatively light activity, and not enough credit for really hard work, and I couldn't keep the "right" number straight in my head. It's a classic case of "you get what you pay for"

For myself this Monday, I am so full, it's not even funny. I recently discovered shirataki noodles, and had those for lunch, then we had zucchini noodles for dinner. I'd bet I ate 3 lbs of food today, and I'm still 200 calories in the green.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Tracy (ND)~Another great cake~I bet the recipient of that cake was excited! :smile: I’ve missed seeing your creations.

@Niki ~I can understand your need to stay away from the computer. I spend 8-10 hours a day at work on a computer, so spend very little time on it at home and I’m so busy that I guess it’s easy for me not to squander away personal time on sites.

@Tracy (TX) ~I have the Fitbit Charge HR and do love it--oh and it comes in a new color now, pink! :wink: Mine is purple. Also, Fitbit offers excellent support on their site and via email if you ever have issues.

@Melly ~Welcome to the thread!

@sgt_pepper33 ~As Karen suggested, take a look at YouTube for videos exercising with dumbbells. Also, if you subscribe to cable you may check to see if there are any on demand videos—I know U-verse offers a few, I’m sure other providers do as well. Don’t worry too much about snacking while meal prepping, I do because I often arrive home late and get hungry while prepping dinner—just plan what that snack might be and make sure it’s a healthy option. Make sure you don’t have trigger foods around, too. I often grab a piece of string cheese or a hard-boiled egg to tide me over.

AFM~Well, for the 2nd time in two weeks we had a huge hail storm last night—yesterday they were the size of golf balls. A town about 5 miles from me had baseball sized hail--lots of damage. Is it June yet? Poor Zoe, she saw those straight-line winds and heard the hail—she made a beeline for the bathroom. Didn’t come out of hiding for several hours and then every time after that, if she heard a noise under a table she went. She’s usually never scared of storms but I think it’s fair to say now she does NOT like hail! Poor kitty! :fearful:
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Had my weigh in at the doc's office yesterday and finally broke through a small plateau - I was only down two pounds in the last month, but yesterday I was awarded a loss of 3 pounds over the last two weeks. Guess tightening the reigns on treats helped some, and more salads than sandwiches for lunch.

She offered to give me a month between appointments instead of two weeks, but I thought that would give me too much room to screw up, so we decided on three weeks. I am officially in the 220's now. I was hoping to get below 200 before summer, but that might be a bit ambitious. I haven't pinned down a goal weight. Getting below 200 will be a milepost I haven't seen since college (a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.) I believe the BMI chart would like me to be somewhere between 125 and 135. If I can get to 150 I'll be perfectly happy.

I've read, and certainly observed personally, that fitbit is amazingly generous on the "calories burned" count. I intentionally ignore that statistic. I do pay attention to the number of active minutes and am trying to raise that score on a daily basis. Like many of you, that is a challenge when 8 hours of my day are basically spent here at my desk in front of this machine. At least it is daylight longer and I can do things when I get home. One thing I haven't been able to change is my sleep patterns. I know that if I get up earlier and come to work earlier I can go home earlier, but I just can't make myself do it with any consistency. I was born to be nocturnal.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Hi guys!
    Just checking in quickly while waiting for clothes to dry so I can finish packing.

@celtik-- that's great that you are seeing payoff for your hard work. I am also programmed nocturnal. I truly believe it's a primary cause of my insomnia. In the summer, when I'm not on a schedule, my circadian rhythm is happiest going to bed later and sleeping later. By mid-August I am typically up until 2 or 3 am and sleeping until 9 or 10 am. I function so much better on that schedule, but it's torture switching back to the 6 am alarm when school starts again.

@kelley-- that town outside of Dallas with the softball sized hail made the news. I just saw a story about all of the damage and close calls with disaster for folks who were out in the midst of it. Scary! I don't blame zoe for hiding.

@badnoodle-- I love shirataki noodles, but they're hard to find in a grocery store and expensive to order online.

Tuesday Goals:
    I didn't make it to the gym b/c I realized about halfway through the day that I just have too much to do here at home to prep for 3 nights away. However, I should still be close to, or under goal. My goal for the rest of the week is simply to consume under maintenance considering all of my meals sill be out. I bought oatmeal cups for breakfast in my room and some grapes and wheat thins to snack on while in sessions. For lunch they have decent choices like chicken caesar salad or grilled chicken sandwiches, but I know dinner and drinks will be a challenge each night. Thursday night especially will be hard b/c we are going to Fogo de Chao for our region dinner; the food there is so delicious and those Brazilian rum drinks are to die for. That will definitely be my splurge night.

On the bright side, we stayed at the same hotel last year, so I know they have a decent fitness center. Plus, one of my colleagues who's also going is pregnant and asked if I would go walking with her to help keep her ankles from swelling from sitting all day, so we will walk during breaks. Then I can go to the fitness center and run before dinner.

Grading Goals:
    1. 7/41 AP Lit Theory papers
    2. 10/10 AP analysis activities DONE
    3. 59/59 JRP essay drafts DONE
    4. x/21 Speech tests

Fitness Goals for the month of April:
    I will run 3x/week and at least 2 5ks/week
    Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 2/2 5k; Week 2 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 3 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish twice with no walking breaks: 1/2
    I will run an 8k three times: 1/3

You vs Year Challenge:
    140 k done/ 860 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Wed-- rest day
    Thurs-- work out at hotel
    Fri-- work out at hotel
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
  • odieluv1
    odieluv1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to this board!
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the new people.

I have been very busy this week and it is continuing through the weekend. I still need to finish my state taxes so will make the time to do that. I was happy that I ran outside today. I was going to hit the gym but then at school, we had a hobby day and no one signed up for my session on Sign language. So another teacher was taking a couple of girls running and I went with them. It was only about 2 miles but it was up big and long hills so it was good workout and good training. Luckily, I ran most of them.

Keeping it short tonight. I hope everyone has a great week.

• celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Had to post progress pictures for the Spring Break Challenge - that was a somewhat rewarding experience. I've never liked pictures of myself, I always think I take up too much space. That was definitely the case in my before picture. The today one wasn't so awful - but I still have a long way to go. I put on the same clothes I was wearing in the first picture so I could make a decent comparison. When I was done, I could take the pants off without unbuttoning them.
  • GOINSTD12
    Options
    @kah68 - I think we are getting the edges of the storm that hit you, it's raining buckets outside with thunder that I can hear under 3 stories of building. I get off in about an hour so I hope the rain's gone by then! Thanks for the info on the Fitbit Charge HR. I don't really want to spend the money but I need to, so I will have to work it into the budget somehow.
    @odieluv1 - welcome, we have lots of new posters here, just jump in with both feet and tell us about yourself, your goals, your loves and hates. We are a very supportive group and are a very diverse group. If you look at the first page, the guidelines of the group are stated there. Just guides, not hard and fast rules. We look forward to hearing from you.

Well, I went with my sister to a local pottery place that makes ceramics and sells them unpainted, then allows you to paint them in-store. So much fun! We left our unfinished projects there so that we could come back and use the same paints, and apparently lots of people liked the UNFINISHED products so much they wanted to buy them! Ha ha, it was fun to hear that. We had a great time but my hands were shaking so much, and painful, that it was hard to paint a straight line. Ah well, who said it has to be perfect? I'll post a picture when I'm done with it.

Tracy (TX)
  • ushkii
    ushkii Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    To the older people of this group, I have look at message now and again and was very sad to see @RobinsEgg message of not being active. Such is life. I have not posted or logged food for some time. I have also returned very close to my high weight. Last week I got a Fitbit Charge HR, it is fun to look at all that stuff and it is getting me up a little more. I average about 5-6 K steps a day, and that is an increase. Last Saturday it buzzed and I got 10K steps. We will see how it goes.

Just stopped by to say hi.

This is still the best group!
  • GOINSTD12
    Options
    Hi @ushkii - glad to see you on here. It's never too late to start again, and I know that Fitbit will encourage you to move and be motivated. You can do this, just be consistent and try to start a new habit of tracking and exercising, and I'm sure you will do wonderfully. We are all rooting for you.
  • Sgt_Pepper33
    Sgt_Pepper33 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    @NewCaddy I love the cake!! I'm a big watcher of all the cake competitions on food network channel, and that looks like it could be right in there!

@kah68 Thanks so much for the suggestions. I think I have finally found a couple strength training videos to stick to for now! Also, it's a great idea to have something ready for when I'm cooking so I don't snack on unhealthy things. I should have tried that tonight! I kept taking nibbles of what I was working on making, and it's extremely hard to track nibbled calories!!

@odieluv1 Welcome! How's your journey so far?

@GOINSTD12 I look forward to seeing your pottery; sounds like a blast

Well, it's been a day of trials and success. I tracked my whole day ahead of time this morning because I knew that I was making my favorite turkey and black bean enchiladas tonight and I knew I would want two. So I put them in for my supper today and it took up A LOT of calorie room. So the rest of the day I had planned to go a little lighter. Well, things didn't go as planned, and even though I exercised, I went over my daily calorie goal and almost all my exercise calories (which I try not to eat all them back). I was feeling a little bit down, but I know there will be tough days. When my enchiladas were finally done, I put two on my plate. However, after 1, I was completely stuffed! I was able to put back the second one, delete it from my food diary, and now I'm under my calorie goal for the day! Sorry for the long story, but it was an amazing revelation for me -- both the fact that one enchilada filled me up AND the fact that I was able to recognize I was full and put away a food I love for tomorrow!

I hope you all are discovering little awesome things like this on your journey as well! Thanks for reading!
  • jaded33jade
    jaded33jade Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I wanted to let you know my Aunt is doing better. She is out of the hospital now. She is going to be going twice a week to get fluids, hopefully that will prevent her from getting that weak again. She did however loose 9lbs. A little on the fast side but she is doing better none the less. :smiley:

I noticed today is wish day. So a realistic wish of mine is to loose all the weight I need to and have a healthier life. A non realistic wish is I want a dragon. lol :)

I don't really try on setting much on goals for myself due to I am very limited on what I can do. I am currently still trying to hit walking 2 miles through out the day. So far I have been hitting 1.5 and 1.75. So I have gotten close but not quite there yet. Sadly I end up sleeping most of the day due to being extremely tired all the time. :'( But I shall keep trying to hit my little goal. :) One day at a time.

I am sad to say over the last couple days (family party and mom being mean and buying M&M's lol) I have gained a couple lbs back. I am hoping to loose them by Saturday. That is when I plan to weigh myself again. I will post what ever that weight is, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is lower.

It is a great view to see everyone here being so encouraging to each other. Much love all.

Keep shinning bright.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Welcome back ushkii!!
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Good Morning.

Not a single post yesterday—that is almost unheard of. I hope the few of us regulars that remain can hold this thread together, it would be sad if this thread disappeared after all of this time. Work kept me from posting last couple of days.

@sgt_pepper33 ~Yep, all those BLTs (bites, licks and tastes) add up in the end, gotta watch those! :wink: Great job recognizing your satiety and saving that second enchilada for another day. :star:

@ushkii ~Glad to see you stop by!

@Karen ~Hope IEA RA is going well, you certainly had a great plan for the hotel. I’m jealous of Fogo de Chao—:love: that place!

@Tracy (TX) ~Pottery place sounds like fun. Years ago my sister made me a butterfly jewelry box at one of those places; I still use it to this day. :smile:

@Celikgirl ~Hooray for breaking through that plateau! :smiley:

AFM~Not much to report. A friend is meeting me at my house after work, then we’re heading off on a bike ride this afternoon—afterwards treating ourselves to much deserved fish tacos/drinks. It’s supposed to rain all weekend so sadly this will be my only chance for an outdoor ride this weekend. :frowning:

Have a great weekend!