April 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    not a hilly route runner, so I'm thinking next Saturday my body is going to hate me....

https://www.strava.com/routes/4697199

Going to limit my running time to 90 minutes for the run...so I may be walking a ways to get home...LOL
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Great job this weekend everyone!
    @mobycarp good luck tomorrow I'm sure the race will be awesome
    @elise4270 good luck with the surgery
    @kristinegift I had to laugh when you said we ran from Princeton to Ewing like it's a mile away LOL Great job on the race super that you and @instantmartian got to meet love the picture
    @9voice9 woohoo a win is a win
    @whatmerunning super PR
    @adrianchr92 sorry about your knee

4/17 - 3.5 miles today - my knee got sore so I stopped not sure how many I have in and I'm too lazy to look I'll do that tomorrow.

didn't run yesterday spent almost 12 hours at Skip's track meet. She ran the 4x800 relay, the 1600 and the 800. She PR'd her 1600 taking almost 10 seconds off ending up with a 6:24 for the distance. Since she doesn't listen to me and was spending the afternoon tanning herself and talking to everyone in the world out on the infield of the track, she was tired and hot for the 800. You think? She was a little slower than her PR for the 800 at 2:58. She said next time she'll sit on her butt under the team tent ha ha. Yep good idea.

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MobyCarp Good luck at BOSTON!

@Elise4270 Good luck with the surgery!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    not a hilly route runner, so I'm thinking next Saturday my body is going to hate me....

https://www.strava.com/routes/4697199

Going to limit my running time to 90 minutes for the run...so I may be walking a ways to get home...LOL

234ft vert for 8mi ain't bad! You'll be fine. Just run a very easy pace and cruise.. If you do have to walk a hill(s), walk. I do it all the time. Still get a solid run. And on a long run, time on you're feet is what matters really IMO.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    234ft vert for 8mi ain't bad! You'll be fine. Just run a very easy pace and cruise.. If you do have to walk a hill(s), walk. I do it all the time. Still get a solid run. And on a long run, time on you're feet is what matters really IMO.
    You have some awesome vertical on your runs, from what I've seen, wicked awesome. This run is the most vertical I can pack in from my house, without repeating the same section several times, and that gets boring for me. I'm working on adding some more hills into my runs just to get the strength training from them and to mix things up since I always feel like I'm cheating on flatter routes.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    You have some awesome vertical on your runs, from what I've seen, wicked awesome. This run is the most vertical I can pack in from my house, without repeating the same section several times, and that gets boring for me. I'm working on adding some more hills into my runs just to get the strength training from them and to mix things up since I always feel like I'm cheating on flatter routes.

It'll definitely whip you into shape! And make the flat runs feel like a breeze. Repeats may be boring, but it's great for building mental toughness and it gets the job done. I have a few here near me that I do if I don't feel like running mtns. Incline treadmills always work too. When it's 110f+ here, I'll have a lot of TM days. Running at 3am sucks.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp sounds like a runners dream! Sleep tight!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

60.07/130 miles I'm so behind.... :sweat:

Numbers seemed off, so I had to recheck my girly math. I have a minor in math and still can't add.

67.37/130 a little less behind.

Thanks @MNLittleFinn , surgery is mid July, I'll have plenty of time to second guess it, over and over... Like I've already done 2-3 times..

@ddmom0811 Congratulations to your daughter!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Congrats to Skip on the 1600m PR! Glad she's recovered from her issues earlier this month!

@MobyCarp Good luck tomorrow! I'll be dying for a race recap! :smiley:
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim That's so great. I used to live on Beeler Street, about two blocks away from that track, although 25 years removed from your undergrad years! My grandparents were at Carnegie Tech (before it was CMU) ... that's where they met!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @AdrianChr92 So sorry to hear you're injured, but confident your plan for resting will sort it out.

The body is amazing at healing if we treat it well.

Thanks all, for the lovely congrats on my PB and reaching goal. I've been realising my above sentence so much these days with my health and fitness improvements.

@MobyCarp So excited for you! You will run Boston with excellent preparation, and tons of support.
  • Ron_Dco
    Ron_Dco Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp ,,,, Good luck for the Boston race. We are all excited to read your race recap.

Guys, anyone have idea how one can track Boston participants without an App on phone. Getting an App just for this is not the first option :wink:
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Ron_Dco wrote: »
    @MobyCarp ,,,, Good luck for the Boston race. We are all excited to read your race recap.

Guys, anyone have idea how one can track Boston participants without an App on phone. Getting an App just for this is not the first option :wink:

You can get text alerts.
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Date.........Miles..........Total
    1/4............Rest..............0
    2/4............Rest..............0
    3/4.............3.7..............3.7
    4/4.............3.0..............6.7
    5/4............Rest............6.7
    6/4.............6.0.............12.7
    7/4.............3.0.............15.7
    8/4............Rest............15.7
    9/4............Rest............15.7
    10/4..........Rest............15.7
    11/4...........3.5.............19.2
    12/4..........Rest............19.2
    13/4..........Rest............19.2
    14/4...........3.6..............22.8
    15/4..........Rest............22.8
    16/4..........Rest............22.8

17/4...........3.8............ 26.6

It felt like an awful run this morning, I was really tired and every step was hard work. It felt like a really slow run so i was surprised that my pace was actually really good compared to my usual. So not a bad run after all :) This month I've had far too many rest days due to working extra and just being lazy! Going to try and run most days now til the end of the month, I really want to hit my target still!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Been a couple of days, so I'll post first and catch up with the thread afterwards.

1.4 - rest
    2.4 - hike out to Frankenstein (missed cycling)
    3.4 - 13.4 km - 5 super slow, 7 hills and stuff (new shoes!)
    4.4 - Should have been gym, was rest.
    5.4 - 8.4 km - hard time focusing on the run. Pace fine, despite a lot of stop and go.
    6.4 - 5.7 km - 'fast' and ugly - PR'ed 5K
    7.4 - missed run
    8.4 - travel day to Paris too tired for catching up on running after the drive.
    9.4 - 8.3 km in Versailles (pictures on Strava.) slow but up one point on VO2Max.
    10.4 - planned 15 - leg was iffy, pushed to next day
    11.4 - 15 km - should have been long slow run, actually PR'ed 10K (whoops, felt like a LSR)
    12.4 - rest - travel to Switzerland
    13.4 - Short hike. No run.
    14.4 - 5.2 km run with my youngest daughter, her first "dad run". I also tapped my toe hard during stretching and broke the IP joint capsule. It's 20 shades of ugly. Also 800m swim.
    15.5 - Off day, toe looks terrible, but doesn't feel broken. Travel back to France, then Germany.
    16.5 - Travel day (Germany to Belgium), nothing. Spent the evening with my cousin and her family - surprise, she finally started running (we've talked about it for years) and we made plans - up till 3AM.
    17.5 - 9.5 km: Hail and rain and sun. I was supposed to be 16 km but waited hrs for everyone to wake up and was joined by a daughter, my cousine and her daughter on a bike for 9.5 km (she's a starting runner, so 8km for her and very impressed given her current conditioning) - Drove to France, then drove back to Germany.

total 65 km April goal 140 km

Toe is healing.

Running thoughts: Of two minds, I could have gone off early on my own and gotten in my kms but waiting for everyone and doing it as a social run was much more valuable. I have enough opportunity to run alone and get my training in. It was so much more valuable to me (and others) to do this as a group. We had fun. It was hilly.

I need to add hills significantly. The hill sprints I did while waiting for others to catch up kicked my butt. Clear area for work. Especially with plans for next year (I'm going to die).

New HRM arm band worked great. Very satisfied. I'm going to see if I can use both and compare the readings.

Travel is over for a few days, so I should be hitting running goals a little better this week - I shifted my training by a week, taking last week as a recovery week.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    4 mile slog at easy effort. Today is the start of a cutback week, and perhaps it was due.

Good luck @MobyCarp and to all Boston runners today!!:smiley:

4/1 - Rest
    4/2 - 14 miles
    4/3 - 5 miles
    4/4 - 5 miles
    4/5 - 5 miles
    4/6 - 8 miles
    4/7 - 5 miles
    4/8 - Rest
    4/9 - 13.1 miles
    4/10 - 5 miles
    4/11 - 5 miles
    4/12 - 5 miles
    4/13 - 8.3 miles
    4/14 - 5 miles
    4/15 - Rest
    4/16 - 13.3 miles
    4/17 - 5 miles
    4/18 - 4 miles

105.7/160 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO) 2:30:17.6 new PR
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS) 2:28:39.52 new PR
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    4/1- 5.1 miles in the rain
    4/2 - rest/travel day
    4/3 - 34 miles on bike
    4/4 - 5.1 miles (intervals)
    4/5 - 5.1 miles - intervals (although slower than yesterday)
    4/6 - 22 miles on bike + Strength training
    4/7 - 4.2 miles - slow and steady
    4/8 - strength training
    4/9 - 34 miles on bike
    4/10 - 50 miles on bike
    4/11 - 5.1 miles - recovery run from all the biking + strength training
    4/12 - 4.2 miles
    4/13 - rest day (biking rained out).
    4/14 - 4.8 miles
    4/15 - sick day
    4/16 - 4.2 very slow miles (feeling better)
    4/17 - 35 miles on bike
    4/18 - 5 miles (intervals)

exercise.png
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    @Orphia congrats on hitting your goal weight!
    @MobyCarp - Hope Boston went well! Have a great one!
    @_nikkiwolf_ - probably drove past your town this last week - went from Grindelwald to Strasbourg. And yes, the profile of shoes changes a lot from trail shoes to road shoes. Even different trail shoes correspond to different trail conditions - gravel and rocks vs mud and wet might correspond best to different profiles.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    04/02 9.30 mi
    04/07 2.00 mi
    04/09 3.10 mi
    04/13 1.00 mi
    04/14 2.60 mi
    04/16 3.73 mi
    TOTAL 21.73 mi

2016 Races:
    02/21 – Disney Princess Half Marathon – 2:38:29 (included 16 stops to either take photos of something or have my photo taken with something)
    04/02 – Philadelphia Hot Chocolate 15K – 1:44:22 15K PR
    04/09 – Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K – 32:40 course PR
    04/16 – River Horse 6K – 38:35 6K PR
    05/01 – Blue Cross Broad Street Run (10 miles)
    08/06 – Foreman Foundation Chocolate Tour 10K
    09/18 – Rock 'n' Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon
    10/09 – 5,000 Yards Dash