Make up addicts

Options

Replies

• nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    just got my order from ulta.
    ordered 2 MB dream matte mousse in honey beige #4 - MY FAVE :bigsmile:
    got a free MB Dream Matte mousse in peach satin - don't like :ohwell: at least it was free. was really excited to try it but on my skin it looks more ashy and grey than peachy :sad: oh well...

also got a hairspray, i'll let ya know how it works out ;)

the ulta sample bag was free (with $25 purchase ) but i'm not impressed. mostly just perfume samples - wow i can get that for free anywhere.

oh well hope someone got cool new stuff :)
  • gpjuicy69
    gpjuicy69 Posts: 20
    Options
    Love Make-up and fashion, I have a blog for it in the works. Love MAC and boots is great as well
  • DarkSwan
    DarkSwan Posts: 29
    Options
    Omfg yes! I was a hard core tomboy growing up so when I finally started experimenting with make up at age 20 it was like magic. lol. I am mainly DS, but aspire towards HE. Its one of my rewards, to by some high end make up so i gotta keep losing!
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    nolachick, boo on the freebies not being awesome.
    gpjuicy, be sure to link us to your blog when you get it up and running!
    DarkSwan, there are so many good DS makeup brands out there, but treating yourself to HE stuff is going to be so fun. Do make sure you get yourself some Urban Decay products! They're just plain great.

So I'm starting to wonder if one of my new makeup products is making me break out. Recently I've been using new blush (two from Cover Girl and one from MAC), and a rediscovered bronzer from my collection (Estee Lauder Gilded Rose). I do have kind of sensitive skin, so I'm thinking one of these products has pissed off my dermis...I've got three lovely red bumps along my chin, on both sides of my mouth. I've heard that MAC makeup is very "dirty" and not good for your skin. I'm wondering if my sensitive skin is rebelling against my new blush. :(
  • nolachick
    Options
    pink sorry to hear you're having trouble with a new product. my advice is to stop using all at once, use them one by one so u can pin point which one you're reacting to. clean your face well every night, clean all your brushes, throw away old make up sponges and get new ones. i often have to go thru a cleansing of makeup and old make up products cuz i start breaking out and i dont know what it is so i go thru all those steps to figure out what it is ;)

as for me i'm anxiously awaiting my NYX order. i bought a bunch of stuff i cant even remember now and since they messed up on their BIG SALE last sunday and almost no one cud place an order cuz their site crashed, they emailed a coupon code for 50%off your entire order + free shipping. needless to say, i couldnt help myself :blushing:

in other news i did a swap with someone from IRELAND so that was exciting. her package got here in a week but unfortunately she hasnt received mine yet. she sent me a bunch of stuff i havent gotten a chance to try yet but i did try the blush and its lovely. i forgot the brand but will post soon.

anyone got anything new and exciting they want to share? :bigsmile:
  • pink_and_shiny
    Options
    Good call on cleaning the brushes. I think mine are due. Also like you suggested, I think I'll go back to using just my Bare Escentuals products and then one by one try my blushes/bronzers to see if I can find the culprit.

Yay on your NYX order! There a couple jumbo pencils and a lip gloss I want from them, but just haven't gotten that "I NEED IT NOW!!" bug for them yet. Your Ireland haul sounds intriguing.
  • sarahanne40
    sarahanne40 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've got three lovely red bumps along my chin, on both sides of my mouth. I've heard that MAC makeup is very "dirty" and not good for your skin. I'm wondering if my sensitive skin is rebelling against my new blush. :(

Oh no - I am so lucky with my skin (its extremely hardy, lol) - I have heard about the MAC Mineralise collection (blush / powder) causing breakouts - I spoke to a MAC consultant about this last time I was in there and she didn't try and deny it - some people do react badly to the Mineralise products - although I have never heard about the brushes being a cause, I would agree with Nola chick on this one, clean out your brushes and try to isolate which products are no good (and chuck older products, especially liquid products over two years) - hope that helps :happy:

I abused my bank account at the weekend - as I am moving out to Switzerland in about a month I get to go on orientation and house hunting tours, which means I am through Heathrow airport (terminal 5) alot at the moment! Sooooo I got...

Clinique Liquid Facial Soup (type 3-4): I have been having oily skin problems and after a great Elmis facial the beautican advised I go back to Clinique to ensure that I am not using products containing alcohol, which would aggrevate my skin. I have been using it for 3 days and I think I can see a difference, I love using Clinique anyway, but DS products are so much easier to pick up in my weekly shop!

MAC Eyeshadow in Corduroy and Arena: I am trying to expand my neutral eyeshadow collection, as neutral warm colours complement both my skin tone and blue eyes - so I shyed away from the bright lights this time :bigsmile: . Corduroy is a nice mid tone matte which I have used in the outer V and as a smudged out liner - both look nice. Arena (MAC-Arena - get it? :laugh: ) is a nice peachy - bronzey tone and is nice for a neutral look but with a nice satin finish - not too sparkley - the texture is great and its not hard to load my brush which is nice too!

MAC Blot Powder in Medium Dark: I have fair sin and didnt even look at the colour the assistant had given me to put in my basket - when I realised the title I though 'oh no, she's given me the wrong colour!' - But no, this comes off very light and has practially no 'coverage' as such, but is great for getting rid of oily skin look without leaving my face looking caked - Medium Dark is good for me; I'm a mid tone blonde, with warm skin tones - so go darker rather than lighter if you need something like this!

And Finally and MAC 109 brush: We can't get the full Sigma range in the UK so I was unable to get my hands on the more rreasonably priced F05 conturing brush - but I like to sometime get the MAC brushes anyway, so I didnt mind paying a little extra for the high end brush - as they will last a life time! This is used for contouring and highlighting, which I am experimenting with at the moment (practically no cheek bones naturally, lol!). It does the job, and is a nice finer brush to use exactly where I want it (using a scrunched up blusher brush was my previous method, but this tend to pick up too much product!) - the 109 doesnt pick up too much product so you can build colour rather than having to try and blend it out (which was what I had to do using a blusher brush)!

This look slike an expensive haul - but it only cost ~£65, which isn't bad for so much stuff (it was all tax free as I bought at the airport) - lucky for me I dn't have kids to feed, lol!!
  • nolachick
    Options
    I've got three lovely red bumps along my chin, on both sides of my mouth. I've heard that MAC makeup is very "dirty" and not good for your skin. I'm wondering if my sensitive skin is rebelling against my new blush. :(

Oh no - I am so lucky with my skin (its extremely hardy, lol) - I have heard about the MAC Mineralise collection (blush / powder) causing breakouts - I spoke to a MAC consultant about this last time I was in there and she didn't try and deny it - some people do react badly to the Mineralise products - although I have never heard about the brushes being a cause, I would agree with Nola chick on this one, clean out your brushes and try to isolate which products are no good (and chuck older products, especially liquid products over two years) - hope that helps :happy:

I abused my bank account at the weekend - as I am moving out to Switzerland in about a month I get to go on orientation and house hunting tours, which means I am through Heathrow airport (terminal 5) alot at the moment! Sooooo I got...

Clinique Liquid Facial Soup (type 3-4): I have been having oily skin problems and after a great Elmis facial the beautican advised I go back to Clinique to ensure that I am not using products containing alcohol, which would aggrevate my skin. I have been using it for 3 days and I think I can see a difference, I love using Clinique anyway, but DS products are so much easier to pick up in my weekly shop!

MAC Eyeshadow in Corduroy and Arena: I am trying to expand my neutral eyeshadow collection, as neutral warm colours complement both my skin tone and blue eyes - so I shyed away from the bright lights this time :bigsmile: . Corduroy is a nice mid tone matte which I have used in the outer V and as a smudged out liner - both look nice. Arena (MAC-Arena - get it? :laugh: ) is a nice peachy - bronzey tone and is nice for a neutral look but with a nice satin finish - not too sparkley - the texture is great and its not hard to load my brush which is nice too!

MAC Blot Powder in Medium Dark: I have fair sin and didnt even look at the colour the assistant had given me to put in my basket - when I realised the title I though 'oh no, she's given me the wrong colour!' - But no, this comes off very light and has practially no 'coverage' as such, but is great for getting rid of oily skin look without leaving my face looking caked - Medium Dark is good for me; I'm a mid tone blonde, with warm skin tones - so go darker rather than lighter if you need something like this!

And Finally and MAC 109 brush: We can't get the full Sigma range in the UK so I was unable to get my hands on the more rreasonably priced F05 conturing brush - but I like to sometime get the MAC brushes anyway, so I didnt mind paying a little extra for the high end brush - as they will last a life time! This is used for contouring and highlighting, which I am experimenting with at the moment (practically no cheek bones naturally, lol!). It does the job, and is a nice finer brush to use exactly where I want it (using a scrunched up blusher brush was my previous method, but this tend to pick up too much product!) - the 109 doesnt pick up too much product so you can build colour rather than having to try and blend it out (which was what I had to do using a blusher brush)!

This look slike an expensive haul - but it only cost ~£65, which isn't bad for so much stuff (it was all tax free as I bought at the airport) - lucky for me I dn't have kids to feed, lol!!

Sarah this sounds like an awesome haul! i have never bought mac products cuz i keep thinking they are too expensive and too bright and i'm addicted to palettes and such. the only thing i've gotten is their triumphant face kit for $34 and tht was my xmas gift to myself lol. i'll have to check out more of their products soon, maybe for my bday in july :)

i am patiently waiting for my nyx order but it hasnt even shipped as yet so i'm getting anxious!
  • sarahanne40
    Options
    Oooo hope you got your order Nolachick! I have been experimenting with the Oil Cleansing Method at the moment - sounds a bit mad - but basically using Castor Oil and Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) to cleanse in the evening beofre bed. And I must say that I have not need to use moisturiser and its gotten rid of the oiliness around my nose forehead (although that could be cos I'm not using my usual moisturiser, which prob wasnt helping the problem!) I even got a comliment by a colleague when we were in our works litchen today :smile: - so all good! I will report back after using for a bit longer....
  • polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to chime in and see if anyone has tried any of the products from Yes to Carrots??

Specifically they have a line of lip tints that are awesome!! Great colors and texture!! These are available at Target.

Additionally, they have great skin / hair care products as well.
  • pink_and_shiny
    Options
    Who booked a free blowout and styling with Fekkai products at ULTA? ME! :D I got an email this afternoon that they're doing complimentary Fekkai stuff next Thursday 6/8 and Friday 6/9, and all you had to do was call and make an appointment. If you have an ULTA in your area, you should try and get in on this deal!
  • nolachick
    Options
    @ sarah - how is ur oil cleanse going? i'm finding that my face has been getting really oily with the heat and humidity of the summer months.

i got a sample of Estee Lauder Clear Difference moisturizer and I am LOVING IT! makes my face baby butt soft and smooth and NO OIL! woo hoo! think i will definately buy this when their gift with purchase comes around!

@polar i have seen those yes to carrots products but never tried them. i am on a no buy on cosmetics right now but i'll check these out when i can buy again haha. any hair care products you recommend and why?

OOOH! that reminds me i usually hate hairspray but I am LOVING the new TRESEMME CLIMATE CONTROL/ ANTI HUMIDITY hairspray. (forgot the exact name). it is awesome for giving volume just spray at the roots (no need to tease) and the volume lasts for days. also good to beat the humidity (except for saturday when it was 100 degrees outside, literally, my hair frizzed out a bit) but definately a thumbs up.

@pink yay for your free hair blowout! i wish I cud do that. do u know if all ulta stores are participating?

to all u hair product junkies lilke me, u can try 2 suave professionals products for free if you just take these short quizzes and score 4 out of 8 correct. see link below::::

http://moneysavingmom.com/2011/03/hot-two-free-full-sized-suave-professional-products.html

i am finally going to receive my NYX order this week, I can't even remember what the hell i ordered lol. hope i like my stuff :)
  • mellymink
    mellymink Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I can't afford MAC yet....but eyelipsface is doing just fine :)

ooh, i LOVE e.l.f. !! and i love how they're so small I can take a bunch of different stuff with me in my makeup bag lol without feeling like I'm lugging around my whole house! :)
  • mellymink
    mellymink Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to chime in and see if anyone has tried any of the products from Yes to Carrots??

Specifically they have a line of lip tints that are awesome!! Great colors and texture!! These are available at Target.

Additionally, they have great skin / hair care products as well.

I've tried the Yes to Cucumbers facial wipes & love them. They're great for when I'm having a lazy night and don't feel like washing my face but want to get the extra oil off. I have pretty sensitive skin when it comes to face wash, but they never irritated my skin :D I look for them when they go on sale, because I find that target puts them on sale frequently enough!
  • sarahanne40
    Options
    @Nolachick : The Oil Clensing Method is going well - I am mainly doing it every day - but the days when I dont have time I revert back to normal facewash. My skin is definately less oily and more smooth / less bumpy - I can't tell if its clearin gup the spodgey texture of my skin yet - but I have done away with moisturiser as my skin is not dry at all and am now using a sunscreen instead, as its starting to try and have a summer over here! The OCM is a cheap and easy alternative to buying products and realising too late thay they are not quite right for your skin i.e. you can easily change the ratio of oils (mine was making my skin slightly taut after cleansing, so I upped the EVOO percentage and now its fine again).

I invested in a couple of new sigma brushes (I know - I am totally addicted!) - I got the F84, which is a kabuki syle blush brush and is doing a much better job than my old BodyShop blush brush (which admittedly has seen better days) - it picks up the perfect amount of blush so that I dont have to repeatedly dab my brush and apply layers of product (like with my old brush) and its soooo soft!

Also I got the F25, which is a large tapered dome brush used for blush and highlight. I have only used this to highlight so far - but admittedly I am so busy at the moment I have not have time for experimentation!

I am trying to get all these 'oooo, I want that one' products before I move at the end of this month - as we are going over the Switzerland, and everything is about 50% more expensive - plus I don't even know if they have the UK / US equivalent stores / online stores for delivery!!

Once again I have to say how great the sigma brushes are, especially if you're looking for a good quality but less expensive version of the MAC brushes - the good thing about Sigma is also that they have some of the LE MAC equivalents in their permenant collection, for a fraction of the price! :happy:
  • pink_and_shiny
    Options
    So...three weeks and no posts?! I'm a sad panda.
  • ayeshakane
    ayeshakane Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    omg..i LOVE makeup as well...i m 24 7 covered in makeup... that's because i do modeling....the only time i see my face without make up is 1 min before bed....
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I enjoy makeup, although I don't feel I wear that much...I am starting to wear a lot more beauty stuff (circle lenses, false eyelashes, eyeliner, and coverup). now I just need to become skinny u__u

I have a question: Does anyone have any CHEAPER alternative 3 or 5 step beauty kits to Shiseido White Lucent? I have always had acne, but using the white lucent line, my skin completely cleared up...it's just a bit expensive for me since Im a college student and am also going to spend $$$ since I am studying abroad next year in an expensive country.....I use Retin A cream, and I still use the Shiseido face wash...but I would like a kit again...I am looking for:
    face wash
    toner
    serum
    eye cream
    and face cream for night time.

Thank you!!! I'm looking to pay around $100-150 for a kit with full-sizes of the above. :D
  • amyd03
    amyd03 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    a major estee lauder freak always buying something
  • nolachick
    Options
    So...three weeks and no posts?! I'm a sad panda.

SAME HERE! i havent' been checking the boards but let me update you on my recent purchases. sorry if i've said these before...

estee lauder clear difference moisturizer - PERFECT FOR SUMMER!

pur mineral nature's paradise palette. eye shadows are pretty nice but the blush and bronzer duo is what sold me on this one and for $28 bucks u just can't go wrong.

i also am giving some use to a concealer i picked up randomly one day @ CVS its the almay bright eyes concealer in medium (comes in a squeeze tube) and i really like it. not too sticky not too runny good consistency and good color for under my eyes :)