What Do You Think of the "Free to Be Hairy" Movement

Options

Replies

• unawind
    unawind Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Being in an LDR has certain benefits, lol. But I have to laugh at the "stock photos" you see in these and other identity movements (no makeup, no shampoo, etc. ): they're all relatively hairless, pretty, or have nice hair anyway! Show me the trolls like me who would give Chewbacca a run for his money, haha.
  • unawind
    unawind Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of turned off by the word "movement" but otherwise, I'm pro hair.

I'm pretty lazy and way against arbitrary double standards. If a dude with hairy pits doesn't catch *kitten* for not "taking care" of himself or being "unclean" then why should a chick? No reason, that's why. It's not like our sweat is somehow "hair reactive" in a way men's isn't.

Sometimes I fantasize about going to the Oscars or something, and wearing an awesome sleeveless gown. Then I would shave, because it goes with the outfit.

You're not far off there. Women only began shaving, or were encouraged to shave, as clothes became more revealing! It's an early 20th century development in the Western world.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I certainly dont mind if others choose not to shave, I've dated a woman in the past who didn't, but because I use natural deodorants I have noticed a can get a little smelly in the summer if I dont shave. A downfall of living in Florida.
  • Big_YEET
    Big_YEET Posts: 152 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I don't shave my armpits religiously or anything. Sometimes they get a little hairy. But I don't take a ton of pics with my arms up, or go around shoving my pits in peoples faces demanding they praise me for not shaving, like it's a big deal. I just don't think it's a big deal, it's like a 2 inch section of skin that most people shouldn't see on a daily basis anyway.
    If a guy isn't attracted to a girl because she doesn't shave, it shouldn't be a huge deal. Lots of people aren't attracted to others for many reasons, and they're mostly uncontrollable. I think women (and men) should just do what they want and stop giving so much of a *kitten* what the opposite sex finds attractive. Or the same sex, if that's your thing. :p
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Just no. I mean yah I get the fact that its your body. Your choice.. But what wrong with a type of slight expectation? Like showering and deodorant.. Things like that shouldnt be a form of expression or rebellion. Use your brain and thoughts to free yourself but please take care of yourself. I may get hate for my opinion.. I truly dont mean harm and at the end of the day I wouldnt treat anyone bad for it but its just my 2 cents.

I understand what you're saying, please do shower, use deoderant, and brush your teeth. That's keeping you clean and keeping your mouth healthy - taking care of yourself. I'm going to share my story, it is in no way meant as an attack, rather to show you the other side.

When it comes to something natural that you find repulsive on another's body as a result of learning that from society (my 6 year old nephew is not grossed out by my leg hair, he asked my mom why it's "gross" and all she could say was "It just is"), it is not a slight expectation. I shave my pits because I couldn't stand the smell when I've grown the hair out. I choose not to shave my legs for the following reasons: the hair grows right back and I'm "prickly" by the end of the day, it's soft when grown out, I enjoy the breeze through my leg hair, no more ingrown hairs, I don't waste money on shaving supplies, showers are shorter, and finally, it's my body and nobody gets to tell me what to do with it. I think it's a wonderful way to rebel and express oneself, it's literally not hurting anyone, yet is making a statement - hair is nothing to worry about. What better way to show the world that hair is okay than by living by example?

I get looks and comments from friends, family, and strangers, but I don't have a problem with it - if I did, I'd shave because that's the only way to stop the comments...unless they come to understand that some body hair isn't disgusting. I don't judge women who shave because it's their body.

I'd like to point out that men are not expected by society to shave any part of their body, why should I? For once, I'd like someone to admit that they've been told all their lives that women should be hairless and THAT'S the reason people are so offended.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options

I'm pretty lazy and way against arbitrary double standards.

It's so nice to see someone else who gets it :-)
  • saramickeydee
    saramickeydee Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It's a movement because shaving is currently a societal norm in "western" culture and to go against a societal norm takes chutzpah. The hair itself is no biggie. My beautiful and fashionable grandmother and mother never shaved their pits but at that time that was the norm.
  • saramickeydee
    saramickeydee Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    gramarye wrote: »

(* To be clear: I don't think people want us to look like girls, or are necessarily fetishizing young girls. But there is absolutely a fetishization of the appearance of youth. I also think it has to do with wanting women to be demure, to be smaller and weaker and lesser.)

and less sexually mature, not owning her sexuality
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Not a fan, but to each their own. Do what makes you happy. I wouldn't find it particularly attractive on someone I was interested in and it would make me question cleanliness. I watched a special one day and it explained how many parasites and how much bacteria can cling to one single human hair and I was horrified. I've shaved everything ever since. Additionally, hair trap bacteria and moisture which creates odor. For me, it's more about caring for one's self than anything else. Why go through so much trouble doing hair and makeup, dressing nice and then refusing to remove hair? Also, body hair smacks of masculinity as men tend to grow much more hair than women. If a women doesn't remove underarm hair, why get rid of the mustache that sometimes grows or maybe that random chest hair? I don't like hair on my body as a man so, for me personally, I wouldn't necessarily want it on the woman I'm with.

• gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    gramarye wrote: »

(* To be clear: I don't think people want us to look like girls, or are necessarily fetishizing young girls. But there is absolutely a fetishization of the appearance of youth. I also think it has to do with wanting women to be demure, to be smaller and weaker and lesser.)

and less sexually mature, not owning her sexuality

Ooh, yes, that one too. So many of my early boyfriends were into getting to do things "first" and in retrospect it's like, "Dude, much like in the comments section, it doesn't *kitten* matter who got here first." There's a huge fear of women who are in control of their sexuality, and it shows in how we treat the women who outspokenly are.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I was raised in the Hippie era. I think it's a personal choice. Wouldn't affect my life whatsoever. I'm not allowed to date anyways. Hairless, Hairy, Bald, Brazil, trimmed, waxed, whatever. I'd be sporting a bright red handprint on the back of my bald head if I looked to long.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Now I get it. You don't wanna shave then don't. I don't think people really care. I mean if I saw a girl with hairy armpits or hairy legs, I'd probably have a thought for two seconds in passing, then go about my business. But calling it a movement? In my opinion, that just sounds ridiculous. It's an obsession with how others view them. There is soo much more to life than vanity.

You are wrong to think that people don't care. If women didn't get ridiculed for things like this, it wouldn't be a topic.

I, too, think people don't care. I know i don't. I have a family, bills, and about 10,000 other things to care about before thinking about caring what a stranger does with his/her hair. This feels like one of those things that is trying so hard to be a movement, but isn't getting traction because people are pretty much "meh" over it all.

don't get me wrong, i am sure there are people criticizing. You can find critics for literally anything. I'm just saying that, to me, it seems like the vast majority are not up in arms over it.
  • Big_YEET
    Big_YEET Posts: 152 Member
    Options
  • Becka4Real
    Becka4Real Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Yeah, definitely not for me