What Do You Think of the "Free to Be Hairy" Movement

Options

Replies

• verlaine01
    verlaine01 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think that it is a bit of a visual norm in our society, if eventually enough women had leg and under arm hair for an extended period of time, one would not find it odd at all. It is like in the 60s when some guys began to grow their hair long, they were labelled hippies, or oddballs, nowadays, it doesn't matter. Guys have long hair, shaved heads and everything in between. Long beards used to be looked at as completely weird and ugly, now every other guy has a long beard. Guys had not had long beards for decades and decades!

it's just fashion. The shaved armpits, have been a regular women's fashion for a long time now. Maybe that will change, who knows? If enough of the younger generation, actresses, and singers stop shaving, in 10-15 years it will be weird to shave.

Its already very common in France and Europe to leave underarm hair.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    If you want to shave, go ahead. If you don't, then don't. The only thing that irks me I guess is that some people say that women who shave only do so because society says we have to. Nope, I choose to.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't care. I don't find it as attractive as shaved though.
  • saramickeydee
    saramickeydee Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Zombella wrote: »
    If you want to shave, go ahead. If you don't, then don't. The only thing that irks me I guess is that some people say that women who shave only do so because society says we have to. Nope, I choose to.

Of course you should do what you choose to do. And no one should make assumptions about your motives.

And no one should assume that women who don't shave are dirty or smelly. And Jim Carrey shouldn't puke on them.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i don't shave because a. im lazy b. i don't care c. it use to really get irritated a lot and was annoying

if someone is bothered by it they are obviously not someone i want to be around just another easy way to filter thru people to get to the ones i wanna know
  • samwiserabbit
    samwiserabbit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    it seems like the vast majority are not up in arms over it.

lol

• MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    i don't shave because a. im lazy b. i don't care c. it use to really get irritated a lot and was annoying

if someone is bothered by it they are obviously not someone i want to be around just another easy way to filter thru people to get to the ones i wanna know

Right on!
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    cphniz9i4pf2.jpg
    There we go, that feels better now!
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    In my opinion, I think it's rank.

It's a proven fact that hair holds in body odors.

But being clean and having proper hygiene and it won't be an issue, but, it is a huge issue for some people.... try going to Wal-Mart on a hot Sunday and you'll see what I mean.

Oh good. So we're in agreement that men should be shaving their pits too.

Fine with me. I personally do. Well... not shave, but electric trimmer the hair off.
  • brewingPHX
    brewingPHX Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you want, it's your body. I don't have to like it, and I wouldn't lol. But my opinion doesn't matter, so no-shave away!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »
    cphniz9i4pf2.jpg
    There we go, that feels better now!

we match

• MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    verlaine01 wrote: »
    I think that it is a bit of a visual norm in our society, if eventually enough women had leg and under arm hair for an extended period of time, one would not find it odd at all. It is like in the 60s when some guys began to grow their hair long, they were labelled hippies, or oddballs, nowadays, it doesn't matter. Guys have long hair, shaved heads and everything in between. Long beards used to be looked at as completely weird and ugly, now every other guy has a long beard. Guys had not had long beards for decades and decades!

it's just fashion. The shaved armpits, have been a regular women's fashion for a long time now. Maybe that will change, who knows? If enough of the younger generation, actresses, and singers stop shaving, in 10-15 years it will be weird to shave.

Its already very common in France and Europe to leave underarm hair.

The comment about France and Europe dont shave.. Thats a big myth.
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Might I add just because people see a good reason to shave or feel better doing it.. Does not mean we are not laid back and care free.. All of that. I don't identify beauty by such remedial defenitions. If everyone I knew grew out allll body hair and were happy.. Then by all means thats cool too. Does not hurt me. But here I would be lonely and uncool shaving and waxing lol.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Sounds fun if you enjoy being ridiculed for being disgusting.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    I shave mine ,