Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Options

Replies

• mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    My question to those who say people should take responsibility for themselves, is, "what business is it of yours?"
    Why does it matter to you what someone else does or doesn't do? How does it concern you?

Like others have said above, "mind your own business".

Kind of ironic that this is a web site mostly about getting healthier. Try a little compassion for people that have not found this site, or can not make it work for them. Walk a mile in their shoes. Cuz I have been there, done that, lost a lot of weight and have kept it off for over 2 years, thanks to MFP, my fitbit, and a lot of compassionate, helpful people here.

Look up how much obesity costs in healthcare dollars.

Research the effect on not just mortality but possibly more importantly, morbidity. That is to say - decreased quality of life. It all effects society in so many ways just like any other disease. Disability alone that is created by obesity draws a whole heck of a lot of money from Social Security/Disability.

It clogs up the hospitals and first responders also.

IT IS 100% PREVENTABLE in every single case just as it is cigarette smoking. Think of the huge campaigns that were totally accepted by society on anti-tobacco. I'm all for an anti-obesity campaign alike.

I also busted my *kitten* to lose almost 100 lbs and I did it on my own because of some deep-rooted self-drive. No medication, no surgery. The way that taught me to never get obese again and I accept that I have that power to choose. But it was preventable in the first place if I understood and respected the principle of Calorie input/output.

Not everybody is like you. This might be hard for you to understand since it doesn't apply to you personally: For some of us, becoming overweight was not preventable. Keep that in mind. Unless you personally know that the person you are judging was able to prevent becoming overweight, don't judge.

It is preventable.that does not mean it is the obese persons fault. I did not say nor imply that. A child is not responsible for their reasons of becoming obese - their parents are. That is the preventable part.
  • mommarnurse
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    My question to those who say people should take responsibility for themselves, is, "what business is it of yours?"
    Why does it matter to you what someone else does or doesn't do? How does it concern you?

Kind of ironic that this is a web site mostly about getting healthier. Try a little compassion for people that have not found this site, or can not make it work for them. Walk a mile in their shoes. Cuz I have been there, done that, lost a lot of weight and have kept it off for over 2 years, thanks to MFP, my fitbit, and a lot of compassionate, helpful people here.

Research the effect on not just mortality but possibly more importantly, morbidity. That is to say - decreased quality of life. It all effects society in so many ways just like any other disease. Disability alone that is created by obesity draws a whole heck of a lot of money from Social Security/Disability.

IT IS 100% PREVENTABLE in every single case just as it is cigarette smoking. Think of the huge campaigns that were totally accepted by society on anti-tobacco. I'm all for an anti-obesity campaign alike.

I also busted my *kitten* to lose almost 100 lbs and I did it on my own because of some deep-rooted self-drive. No medication, no surgery. The way that taught me to never get obese again and I accept that I have that power to choose. But it was preventable in the first place if I understood and respected the principle of Calorie input/output.

Not everybody is like you. This might be hard for you to understand since it doesn't apply to you personally: For some of us, becoming overweight was not preventable. Keep that in mind. Unless you personally know that the person you are judging was able to prevent becoming overweight, don't judge.

Wait.

Time out.

How is becoming overweight not preventable? I can't even think of an extreme example...and I'm usually very creative at coming up with extreme examples.

When I was 9 years old, less than 1 month before I turned 10, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. At that time, treatment methods were not as advanced as they are today. At the time, I was underweight about 10 lbs. to where I should have been based on height. As a new type 1, the CDE put together a plan based on the exchange diet (each meal was consistent for the same number of each food type - grains, dairy, fruit, etc.). Every day for each meal and snacks, I had the same number of each exchange type. So if I had 2 fruit exchanges for dinner, for example, that was true every single dinner of every single day. Most new type 1's gain weight because once diagnosed and treated, they stop losing weight rapidly from DKA and regain some of the weight lost from that issue. In my case, I also gained weight because of the diet plan I was put on. In the first month, I gained 20 lbs. The rate of gain slowed down, but I had doubled my weight in the first year and continued to gain weight, just at a slower pace over time up until about age 20.

In today's world, the treatment is different, including diet plans. There are no stringent diet plans and nobody is put on a static insulin dose at a set time. We now calculate insulin to match what we eat rather than eating the same things at the same times every single day and taking the same amount of insulin at the same times. We have flexibility now.

I couldn't help becoming fat. Now that treatment methods have changed enough to allow me the flexibility to lose weight. 10-15 years ago, I could not help being fat. It is very easy to pretend that everyone can avoid being fat, but what is easy isn't automatically right. Technically, I could have avoided getting fat by taking bigger medical risks and not following medical professional's directions. I also might not have lived to tell about it... not a good compromise.

Just to raise your anecdote with one from me, my maternal grandfather was also diagnosed with T1 as a child. He was never overweight, and for most of his life, was very healthy and active and managed it well. Ultimately, it did kill him. He died when he was in his late 60s from mismanaging it and he had lost his legs. He was not overweight when he died, if anything, he was underweight. I was 12 when he passed away and I am now 44. Being diagnosed as a child with T1 diabetes is not a mandatory ticket to obesity at all.

Type one is most definitely not the same. That type is not based on being obese.
  • mommarnurse
    Options

Becoming overweight might not have been preventable (Think childhood obesity) by the individual, but staying that way as an adult is.

Yep. And we are talking about fat acceptance & making (keeping?) obesity socially acceptable.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Wait.

Time out.

How is becoming overweight not preventable? I can't even think of an extreme example...and I'm usually very creative at coming up with extreme examples.

When I was 9 years old, less than 1 month before I turned 10, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. At that time, treatment methods were not as advanced as they are today. At the time, I was underweight about 10 lbs. to where I should have been based on height. As a new type 1, the CDE put together a plan based on the exchange diet (each meal was consistent for the same number of each food type - grains, dairy, fruit, etc.). Every day for each meal and snacks, I had the same number of each exchange type. So if I had 2 fruit exchanges for dinner, for example, that was true every single dinner of every single day. Most new type 1's gain weight because once diagnosed and treated, they stop losing weight rapidly from DKA and regain some of the weight lost from that issue. In my case, I also gained weight because of the diet plan I was put on. In the first month, I gained 20 lbs. The rate of gain slowed down, but I had doubled my weight in the first year and continued to gain weight, just at a slower pace over time up until about age 20.

In today's world, the treatment is different, including diet plans. There are no stringent diet plans and nobody is put on a static insulin dose at a set time. We now calculate insulin to match what we eat rather than eating the same things at the same times every single day and taking the same amount of insulin at the same times. We have flexibility now.

I couldn't help becoming fat. Now that treatment methods have changed enough to allow me the flexibility to lose weight. 10-15 years ago, I could not help being fat. It is very easy to pretend that everyone can avoid being fat, but what is easy isn't automatically right. Technically, I could have avoided getting fat by taking bigger medical risks and not following medical professional's directions. I also might not have lived to tell about it... not a good compromise.

Just to raise your anecdote with one from me, my maternal grandfather was also diagnosed with T1 as a child. He was never overweight, and for most of his life, was very healthy and active and managed it well. Ultimately, it did kill him. He died when he was in his late 60s from mismanaging it and he had lost his legs. He was not overweight when he died, if anything, he was underweight. I was 12 when he passed away and I am now 44. Being diagnosed as a child with T1 diabetes is not a mandatory ticket to obesity at all.

Type one is most definitely not the same. That type is not based on being obese.

Type 1 is not caused by obesity like type 2 often is, but old treatment methods for type 1 led to rapid weight gain.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Wait.

Time out.

Type 1 is not caused by obesity like type 2 often is, but old treatment methods for type 1 led to rapid weight gain.

These are even more recent... published after weight gain became less common with type 1 diabetics:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16776747

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3129711/
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Wait.

Time out.

Good for him and bravo to you for remembering whether your grandfather was overweight as a child and into his adult life. I honestly don't even remember what any of my grandparents looked like when they were my age because I wasn't even born until they were much older (in fact, one of my grandparents died before I was even born).

I'm lucky enough to have photos of my family.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Am I the only person who was morbidly obese and didn't stress out the cost of health care? Maybe because I don't go to the doctor unless I'm actually sick and even then it's pretty desperate. Hells, I feel guilty going in for my annual swab job.

No, I don't think you are. I think a lot of people are purposefully overestimating for the sake of argument and justification. Does being obese increase your risk of disease? Yes, absolutely. But I think it is equally wrong to assume that the obese all are uninsured or not paying for their own medical expenses. Are there some? Of course, and no one is saying otherwise.

Uh...insured medical care isn't free. It's paid for by all of the insureds.

I didn't say it was free?

What I'm saying is that the price you pay for insurance is not determined by anyone else's health but your own, so I think it's a bit disingenuous to act like every person who is obese is costing us all money. If they're on Medicare/Medicaid in the US, then yes, I guess you can make that argument, but I'm going to guess unhealthy people of all size are using these programs.

It also looks like insurance companies are leaning towards having risky people pay more for insurance since they will be more likely to use it. I don't have a problem with this.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who was morbidly obese and didn't stress out the cost of health care? Maybe because I don't go to the doctor unless I'm actually sick and even then it's pretty desperate. Hells, I feel guilty going in for my annual swab job.

No, I don't think you are. I think a lot of people are purposefully overestimating for the sake of argument and justification. Does being obese increase your risk of disease? Yes, absolutely. But I think it is equally wrong to assume that the obese all are uninsured or not paying for their own medical expenses. Are there some? Of course, and no one is saying otherwise.

Uh...insured medical care isn't free. It's paid for by all of the insureds.

I didn't say it was free?

What I'm saying is that the price you pay for insurance is not determined by anyone else's health but your own, so I think it's a bit disingenuous to act like every person who is obese is costing us all money. If they're on Medicare/Medicaid in the US, then yes, I guess you can make that argument, but I'm going to guess unhealthy people of all size are using these programs.

It also looks like insurance companies are leaning towards having risky people pay more for insurance since they will be more likely to use it. I don't have a problem with this.

That's not how group health insurance works and if you have insurance through your job, it's group health insurance. Pricing is based on the group risk so yes, the higher risk folks are subsidized by the lower risk folks.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    My mom told me stories about him and showed me pictures. I barely remember him, except that he was pretty crotchety after he lost his legs. And I never said you intentionally did anything to yourself, I simply stated that T1 diabetes is not a mandatory obesity sentence, which is true.

We have a cousin who has type 1 and she's not overweight. She's in her 20s now.
  • Pinkvela
    Pinkvela Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Pinkvela wrote: »
    I don't think the author is trying to promote fat-shaming I just think she's saying "let's get real" and stop trying to normalize obesity. As she points out, you wouldn't try to normalize anorexia so why this pretense with the other extreme? Both are detrimental to one's health. Furthermore, I've yet to hear of too many formerly obese people who have shed weight and become fit who are saddened by their new image or think back on their obese lifestyle with fondness, most probably with dread.

Because I was much, much happier and less stressed. When I wanted a certain food to eat, I went and got it. I didn't have to bring out my diary and do fiddling to make it fit into my day

I have to ask, why do you want to lose weight? (since you're on MFP)

- Every new venture with an objective demands some sort of sacrifice. Eg. you want to get muscular, you have to put in the time and the exercises and then eat a certain diet. You want to be an opera singer, you have to put in the time, you have to give up family outings or social events with friends for example. You have to be present and accountable for your own success. And along the way you will meet all sorts of people, people who'll tell you you're doing it wrong, people who encourage you, people who will ridicule what you're doing, people who are judgemental, people who will be guides, people trying to be helpful but piss you off, the list goes on. Ultimately, you have to follow your own path and decide who and what you are or want to be. You can't stop people from judging, it's human nature.

When the people I knew in HAES shunned me for losing weight, I left and went back to being alone knowing they were just as bad as everyone else.

Interesting. Sounds like you hang with the wrong crowd(s), whether it's FA or the Diet people or diet buddies. Sounds like you feel better when you are on your own. I would guess that it's because you are listening to yourself, and not to what you think society wants. But it also sounds like your life revolves around your weight, make your life about something else and don't bring up your weight (ever).

Tools like MFP and support groups are just there to attain an objective. You have to glean what you find important from the information that is out there. You may have been happier eating the way you wanted but you have to ask yourself did you feel comfortable in your own skin?
    Regardless of how you think society sees you. Do you honestly feel good on all levels? Physically, emotionally, mentally (there's more I'm sure). Only you know. Ultimately, you're allowed to be the size you want.

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I don't think the author is trying to promote fat-shaming I just think she's saying "let's get real" and stop trying to normalize obesity. As she points out, you wouldn't try to normalize anorexia so why this pretense with the other extreme? Both are detrimental to one's health. Furthermore, I've yet to hear of too many formerly obese people who have shed weight and become fit who are saddened by their new image or think back on their obese lifestyle with fondness, most probably with dread.

Because I was much, much happier and less stressed. When I wanted a certain food to eat, I went and got it. I didn't have to bring out my diary and do fiddling to make it fit into my day

I have to ask, why do you want to lose weight? (since you're on MFP)

- Every new venture with an objective demands some sort of sacrifice. Eg. you want to get muscular, you have to put in the time and the exercises and then eat a certain diet. You want to be an opera singer, you have to put in the time, you have to give up family outings or social events with friends for example. You have to be present and accountable for your own success. And along the way you will meet all sorts of people, people who'll tell you you're doing it wrong, people who encourage you, people who will ridicule what you're doing, people who are judgemental, people who will be guides, people trying to be helpful but piss you off, the list goes on. Ultimately, you have to follow your own path and decide who and what you are or want to be. You can't stop people from judging, it's human nature.

When the people I knew in HAES shunned me for losing weight, I left and went back to being alone knowing they were just as bad as everyone else.

Interesting. Sounds like you hang with the wrong crowd(s), whether it's FA or the Diet people or diet buddies. Sounds like you feel better when you are on your own. I would guess that it's because you are listening to yourself, and not to what you think society wants. But it also sounds like your life revolves around your weight, make your life about something else and don't bring up your weight (ever).

Tools like MFP and support groups are just there to attain an objective. You have to glean what you find important from the information that is out there. You may have been happier eating the way you wanted but you have to ask yourself did you feel comfortable in your own skin?
    Regardless of how you think society sees you. Do you honestly feel good on all levels? Physically, emotionally, mentally (there's more I'm sure). Only you know. Ultimately, you're allowed to be the size you want.

The last 4 years have been about my weight because it's in the forefront of me losing it. Before this, only doctors harped about my weight and that I should lose, though they offered no advice or alternative such as WLS (which should've been something they'd push because I was so close to dying because FAT = UNHEALTHY/DEATH). What I found completely ironic (?) when dealing with HAES/FA proponents is that most of them have a slew of health problems that could've been easier to deal with by not being morbidly obese. The basic reason I lost weight was for simple vanity - I didn't want to spend the next 30 years wearing the same pair of pants (not the same style or same brand, but the same pair because finding any clothing higher than a 4X is nigh impossible in this province).

I don't feel comfortable in my own skin due to my depression. It won't matter if I look like whoever the sexiest/hawtest female is currently or the fattest woman in the world, I'll still not be comfy with me because my brain chemistry is broken. That's not something that can be fixed with support groups or therapy or medication. I do better on my own because I've learned people don't really care about me or how I feel and they certainly can't be bothered to help when asked.

Thank you for the online therapy session. Now I get to fight myself to not go ham on food.

If you've made positive lifestyle changes through clinical depression than what you have done is that much more of an accomplishment. I hope you can find the therapy or meds that help you stabilize. Not all support groups and therapists are the same. It's like any other group of people, you have to find ones with whom you can get along and who have enough similarities with you that you can share something and see eye-to-eye with them.