Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Shame - does it hinder or help you lose or gain weight?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Good question. I am not sure that shame has ever motivated me. More like shame and depression was a cycle that fed into each other.

Yes, this is how I am, and why I feel that "shame" tends to be a negative and unhelpful emotion.

I think some people use "shame" in a different way that I understand it, to mean "acknowledging that things should change" or some such, but I don't see that as what we are talking about.

I was partially kicked into gear to get in shape and lose the weight due to an embarrassing photo, but that wasn't "shame," that was wanting to look and feel better plus pride (thinking I could be better, irritation that I'd failed to live up to my own standards), vanity (nothing wrong with that in moderation, IMO), plus (again) embarrassment.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I personaly think the complete and utter lack of shame in certain people is one of the major issues we have in contemporary Western society. It's not everyone but there is certainly a large swath of Western society who couldn't care less about other people, or what other people think of them. If you're (I'm using "you" in the royal sense here) one of them and slowing killing yourself by overeating, drinking too much, or abusing drugs, then stop whining like a child and do something about it.

You are mixing two things. If someone is overweight and whining about it, sure, the response is "if it bothers you, do something about it." But no one said anything about whining -- you seem to have just assumed that. If someone is overweight and fine with it, it's none of my business. (If I'm the doctor or responsible for public policy, I should provide appropriate health information, of course.)

The fat acceptance movement belongs in paragraph 1 and they certainly are whining. The term shame is used in a variety of ways and that group, for the most part, is talking about being "shamed" not necessarily actually feeling "shame." They're celebrating poor choices. I see others in group 2 being drawn to the movement because they need help with their feelings but that's not the group I see advocating and being celebrated. If it was the movement would be focused on self improvement rather than whining about society.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I don't see the connection with whining.
    Not everyone who feels "unashamed" about being overweight is whining. In fact, I think people who accept themselves and don't feel shameful and powerless are far less likely to whine.

Personally, I never whined about my weight aloud, because I didn't want anyone to hear me admit I considered it a failure of mine. (Also, because my automatic response to whining, including that tendency in myself, is why don't you do something about it, if it bothers you.)

I may whine inside but there's no way I would whine about it out loud for the same reason.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Not everyone who feels "unashamed" about being overweight is whining. In fact, I think people who accept themselves and don't feel shameful and powerless are far less likely to whine.

Personally, I never whined about my weight aloud, because I didn't want anyone to hear me admit I considered it a failure of mine. (Also, because my automatic response to whining, including that tendency in myself, is why don't you do something about it, if it bothers you.)

I didn't whine either. I agree that not everyone whines. Truly "accepting" oneself takes honestly. Once I was honest with myself I wanted change. Honesty is something else I see missing in FA.

• tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    pbprincess wrote: »
    For me, I could not take the steps I needed to take and actually consistently stick to anything until I found a way to give up shame and guilt and accept my body for the way it is/was at the time. Acceptance has always done more for my weight and mental health than shame.

This. Exactly this.

Yep...this is exactly what worked for me. When I was overweight and it was mentioned (rarely) i would be defensive and adopt an "I don't give a *kitten* what you think I'm happy..." (I wasn't)
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    91q6q6ve7h8c.jpg
    I agree w/ this statement (sorry it's so big, don't know how to shrink it).
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Shame didn't keep you heavy; that was low self worth.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how the shame is done. If it is coming from a mean spirited place then it helps no one. I was shamed by someone after I gave birth to my son. I gained 60 lbs and I was unrecognizable. Some friends came to visit and they have always seen me skinny and not with the post pregnancy weight. She was in total shock that I had put on so much weight. She said I didn't even look like myself. She wasn't being mean she was truly shocked. Nonetheless I felt shamed and it motivated me to lose all the 60 lbs, introduced me to exercise and I still exercise 24yrs later.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's the same thing as the "shame" being discussed.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's the same thing as the "shame" being discussed.

Being told i was too fat was also a catalyst to my losing weight. And it wasn't said in a nice way either..
  • sharondjs
    sharondjs Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I feel that shame is a useless and hateful tool used usually by people who have no idea what they are doing to the person being shamed - shame brings self loathing , embarrassment, isolation & can lead to self harm & even suicide. Haven't we learned by now that the words we use form actions be they positive or negative.