Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Detoxing

Options

Replies

• nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    The best way is to eat a diet high in fruits and vegetables lean proteins. ETC. All that processed food is bad for you but when you start to eat better you will feel so much b etter and many people will tell you their bodies sort of flushed themselves out. LOL. TMI but true.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »

Okay then.

...or registered dietician. But cherry pick if you will.

The two RDs whose work I follow most closely don't recommend eliminating sugar from the diet and they don't claim that we need to "detoxify" ourselves after eating it.

I'm sure you can find bodybuilders and RDs who believe that "detox" is a thing or that sugar is poison, but that doesn't make it true. The reason I called out "bodybuilders" is that using them in an attempt to appeal to authority is laughable, even by the standards of fitness forum chatter.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Fine. You do not need to "detox" added sugar, processed sugar, simple sugar, complex sugar, natural sugar, or any other variation of sugar. If you believe added/processed sugar is bad for you, you can just stop eating it.

Being condescending isn't necessary.

Now that we're on the same page, consider the facts about added sugars. Unless you're sustaining a high per-day intake, like 100+grams a day, it probably won't cause any serious health problems. But it IS an unnecessary source of calories. Whether it's harmful or not, it does not contain calories that are as efficient as other natural foods. If you eat refined sugars instead of a carb more fibrous, like fruit, you are causing an imbalance in your nutrient intake. The imbalance may be minor, or major, it all depends on what else you ate. People keep coming back to the straw man argument that "it's not gonna kill you", because it's an easy position to defend. I'm trying to point out the perspective that it's unnecessary, therefore not the norm. People who defend their position are clinging to eating snickers bars & cake & ice cream as if it is a normal food. It's not normal, refined/added sugars aren't normal as far as your body and the evolution of digestive science is concerned. If your viewpoint is that M&M's and a Coke is a normal snack, then you are more likely to consume it. If you view it as abnormal, you're more likely not to consume it unless you're making the conscious decision that you can afford the junk calories. In the end, it's all about being present and aware in the decision making process of eating. A simple delineation of Normal/Abnormal makes it easier to avoid junk food on a routine day. Many people really are nutrition illiterate you know.

And what does this have to do with detoxing? Because that's what OP asked about.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    You refer to them as "BS crap-science detox programs," yet think your are "toxifying" yourself by eating sugar?

I can't even.

Refined/processed/added sugars are the number one enemy of the body's processes. If you don't believe me ask any bodybuilder or Registered Dietician what they are good for, or what the body can or can't do with them as a source of calories. If you really think the calories provided by a snickers bar is as good as a handful of raw almonds, you need to speak to a professional.

Then why do so many of those bodybuilders pop gummy bears on their way home from the gym?