Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Detoxing

Options

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    Chemically, processed sugars are no different than those in natural occurring sources like those in fruit.

Believe it or not:

Natural sugars are found in fruit as fructose and in dairy products, such as milk and cheese, as lactose. Foods with natural sugar have an important role in the diet because they provide essential nutrients that keep the body healthy and help prevent disease.

Refined sugar comes from sugar cane or sugar beets, which are processed to extract the sugar. It is typically found as sucrose, which is the combination of glucose and fructose. We use white and brown sugars to sweeten cakes and cookies, coffee, cereal and even fruit. Food manufacturers add chemically produced sugar, typically high-fructose corn syrup, to foods and beverages, including crackers, flavored yogurt, tomato sauce and salad dressing. Low-fat foods are the worst offenders, as manufacturers use sugar to add flavor.

Most of the processed foods we eat add calories and sugar with little nutritional value. In contrast, fruit and unsweetened milk have vitamins and minerals. Milk also has protein and fruit has fiber, both of which keep you feeling full longer.

How the body metabolizes the sugar in fruit and milk differs from how it metabolizes the refined sugar added to processed foods. The body breaks down refined sugar rapidly, causing insulin and blood sugar levels to skyrocket. Because refined sugar is digested quickly, you don’t feel full after you’re done eating, no matter how many calories you consumed. The fiber in fruit slows down metabolism, as fruit in the gut expands to make you feel full.

Copy/pasting from a blog?
    Sucrose, glucose and fructose are all found in fruit. Not just fructose.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    hmm my question is aside from removing the fiber from the sugar beets(that grow in the ground like any other beets) and the same for sugar cane,how is it any different than eating fruits or veggies and your body breaking down the sugar in them? your body just doesnt have the fiber to digest the sugar slower. sugar beets can also be used for feed for cows and other livestock.so I guess you better stop eating meat if you do, because the animal that has eaten this has processed it into sugar and therefore you have your refined/processed sugar in your meat,I guess you also dont eat molasses,or maple syrup or honey either?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have also done the gummy bear thing or even pixy stixs after a long lifting session(no im not a bodybuilder) and I found that the next day I was less sore. so to me that was a benefit. I dont do that anymore just because gummy bears are my weakness
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You refer to them as "BS crap-science detox programs," yet think your are "toxifying" yourself by eating sugar?

I can't even.

Refined/processed/added sugars are the number one enemy of the body's processes. If you don't believe me ask any bodybuilder or Registered Dietician what they are good for, or what the body can or can't do with them as a source of calories. If you really think the calories provided by a snickers bar is as good as a handful of raw almonds, you need to speak to a professional.

https://www.infinitelabs.com/almonds-for-weight-loss/
  • egli4ever
    egli4ever Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I detoxify my body by drinking 1.5 to 2 gallons of water a day...water is a natural cleanser. my husband is also a bodybuilder and eats gummy worms when working out the glucose gets pulled straight into the muscles that's why he does it versus eating some oatmeal or a yam at the gym which takes longer to digest and he cant carry around white rice or potatoes in the gym so he pops them.I do figure competing and during off season use them versus using a pre-workout.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Then why do so many of those bodybuilders pop gummy bears on their way home from the gym?

Because they're crazy? I don't know. The ones I know who compete hire registered dieticians for their guidance, rather than consult some celebrity lifter who is selling magic supplements.

I bolded the obvious.

Actually, it's because heavy lifting depletes the muscles of their glycogen stores. Taking in a fast digesting carb (simple sugar, in this case, dextrose) provides the body with the sugars necessary to quickly restore those glycogen stores and thus restore energy levels after a taxing workout.
    It also provides an insulin boost which is anabolic, meaning it supports protein synthesis for muscle repair/growth.

Put simply, they do it because not only is it not bad for them but actually provides them with real benefits.
    Granted, doing this isn't totally necessary and many bodybuilders (myself included) prefer to just not worry about it and let glycogen stores build back up over the next 24 hours.
    However, it still goes to show that simple sugars can be beneficial for the body. It's certainly not a magic supplement and I've never seen a celebrity selling Haribo bears.

Also, sugars can be taken prior to and/or during a workout as a source of energy as well (highly common with endurance athletes).

To say that there is no beneficial use of sugar in the human body is a complete denial of scientific fact.

Beat me to it. Its also why most whey shakes have dextrose and maltodextrin. Both very fast occuring sugars.

To take to one step further, its recommended to not eat fruits post workout (if the ultimate goal is glycogen replishment) as fructose is a slower digesting carb and is broken down in the liver.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    fluffygio wrote: »
    Well im not going to recomend her doing the master cleanse like im doing thats against mfp guide lines but those foods are sure a good way to start detoxing very very slowly but surely

Thers more diets you can llok up for detoxing and not all are hard

So exactly what "toxins" are they getting rid of that your liver and kidneys don't normally get rid of.
  • Gioeyebrow
    Gioeyebrow Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Okay so you kno the black lines in your iris the ones that point toward your pupil well their cosd by toxins so they go away when you detox thats the main reson i atarted my detox im on day 4 and their already half gone thats just proof to me that detox's do work if you feel like it might help you be healthyer i say go for it as long as its safe
  • Gioeyebrow
    Gioeyebrow Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Well im not going to recomend her doing the master cleanse like im doing thats against mfp guide lines but those foods are sure a good way to start detoxing very very slowly but surely

Thers more diets you can llok up for detoxing and not all are hard

No, they aren't. I'm not saying don't eat those foods (they're tasty and provide nutrients), but they aren't a way to detox.
    Ok what do you sugest than smarty pants?

I'm not sure why you feel the need to be rude, but I suggest nothing. We don't need to detox, anyone who tells you that something will detox you is either lying or misinformed.

Im sorry i didnt mean to be rude my bad
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Okay so you kno the black lines in your iris the ones that point toward your pupil well their cosd by toxins so they go away when you detox thats the main reson i atarted my detox im on day 4 and their already half gone thats just proof to me that detox's do work if you feel like it might help you be healthyer i say go for it as long as its safe

What are you talking about?
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

What are you talking about?

There is a branch of alternative medicine called iridology. It claims that patterns, colors, and other characteristics of the iris can be examined to determine information about a patient's systemic health. Many iridologists claim you can tell if you need a detox, and if the detox worked, by examining your iris. I kitten you not.

You can also google "iridology" and "quack" or "scam" to read about proof it's nonsense, if you really need to.

I learned something today.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

This reminds me of the time that we went to a spa for my sister's birthday, and one of the treatments that came with the package was an ionic foot detox - where you soak your feet in a little water bath with electrodes submerged, and over the course of 20 minutes the water turns into a disgusting brown/orange shade. The spa then provides you with a color coded chart to tell you specifically what toxins are leaching from your body into the water, so that you know what your problem areas are and then want to purchase a long term package to keep this from ever happening again...

Hint - that's a scam, and so is this idea that your irises measure the toxins in your body.

Hint Hint - do not google ionic detox bath if you have an aversion to feet.

• xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    edit: Repeat of several other posters ... carry on.