May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• zoe2434
    zoe2434 Posts: 69 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I decided to take a rest day yesterday after running my hilly neighborhood Monday night. I could feel my calves were still a little tight and figured it was in my best interest not to push it and then be off for multiple days. Hoping the rain holds off after work so I can run outside :smiley: instead of on the TM :neutral: (Never thought I'd rather run outside than on the TM!)

@CariTJR so sorry to hear of your loss. Thinking of you and your family...

exercise.png

5/1……Rest Day
    5/2……2.13 miles
    5/3……Rest Day

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    5/1 - Rest day after HM to finish April. Another ugly, rainy day.
    5/2 - 4.25 miles.
    5/3 - 3.1 miles. Quick 5k while my daughter had soccer practice.
    5/4 - 4.53 miles. Cool, pleasant morning run. Mostly base pace, but last mile tempo.

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 5 miles
    5/2 - 4 miles
    5/3 - rest
    5/4 - 5 miles great morning to run, 50 and just beautiful.

14 out of 100 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    5/7 Steeplechase 8K
    5/14 Technicolor 5K
    5/30 Cotton Row 10
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom you're ahead of me on the road to 100 this month. I better catch up B)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I'll have to be on my toes now to stay ahead LOL!
    @stoshew71 from time to time I find good rolls in Walmart believe it or not. Great time this morning, who the heck finished ahead of you Speedy Gonzalez ? Congrats on the 2 AG and 5 OA
    @moyer566 take care of that knee
    @ddmom0811 only 77 with 85% humidity :wink: I'm sure after a few runs in the humidity you'll get as used to it as possible. How did testing go yesterday at work?
    @sleepigrl ouch!! I hope you heal up soon. About a year or so ago I stumbled because my neighbor said something to me and I turned to talk to her. I cut my arm and leg up pretty good, it took me a minute to get up and get going (naturally the first thing I did was pause my watch LOL). I was so embarrassed that I said no I'm fine and went on with blood running down my arm and dripping off my fingers OMG what a mess. My hip was bruised for weeks. Glad you are okay.
    @michable - I think some mornings I'm slower than if I ran later in the day when I'm more awake, but I don't see a big difference in the two.
    @asmalworld and @tamishascolyer welcome!
    @acsl3 tell that ITB to stop it!
    @juliet3455 I hope everyone stays safe in the fire, that is so scary
    @shanaber have fun in Dallas
    @07katiep13 you sound like Alabama weather.... 90 today, 50 tomorrow, sunny, thunderstorms. We have all season days.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    May 1 - 4.4 miles on hilly trails
    May 2 - rest
    May 3 - 45 minutes lap swimming + 5.1 miles running

MAY TOTAL: 9.5 Miles

My second swimming session and I still suck. If I can get my body to adapt to breathing water I'll be alright, but as it is, I have to keep my head up the whole time or I take in water and start choking. I cut my hour short because I was getting cramps in my calves and arches and didn't want that to prevent me from running afterwards. Having a couple of inches of water in each lung made running a challenge, but I managed. I'm very happy to report that there was not even an iota of Achilles pain either during the run or this morning.

Bagels: I prefer my bagels toasted, slathered with cream cheese (the foil brick kind, not that crappy whipped kind), then covered in jam. I'll be eating a lot of those next week for carbo-load days.

Race Reports: @kristinegift , @ohhim, and @instantmartian great reports and great races!! I really enjoyed reading the accounts. @instantmartian, I know you feel terrible about your race, but of the three race reports I just read, yours impressed me the most. Pouring rain, bathroom breaks, cold weather, swollen hands, upset stomach, low public turnout, stiff joints, cramping muscles...and yet you STILL persevered and kept going until the end! The race result doesn't define you as a runner, but your tenacity does. Well done!

Tonight I'll be trail running during my son's soccer practice. Their practice field is just a half mile from a hilly 3.2 mile trail. I should be able to get in 2+ loops in.
  • 7lenny7
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Just reset the "slow" and "fast" pace alerts on my Forerunner to 20 seconds faster/slower than my previous fast/slow paces, since those were the ends of my E pace range and I didn't want to get bugged when my Average pace was still going to be OK. Thinking about turning off the pace alerts all together though and just running and checking the Garmin every once in a while for my current/lap/average pace

@MNLittleFinn Eventually you'll get to know your effort level based on feel and will only need look at the Garmin for confirmation. For whatever reason, my Garmin reads my HR pretty high for the first mile or so (perhaps because it is high?) even though I'm going a slow pace, so I just turned all my alarms off. I don't recall...can you set those alarms based on lap HR rather than instantaneous HR? That would smooth out the spikes if you have your Garmin set to auto lap every mile.

@juliet3455 I saw some video of those fires on the news this morning. Holy crap!!! Stay safe!!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn Eventually you'll get to know your effort level based on feel and will only need look at the Garmin for confirmation. For whatever reason, my Garmin reads my HR pretty high for the first mile or so (perhaps because it is high?) even though I'm going a slow pace, so I just turned all my alarms off. I don't recall...can you set those alarms based on lap HR rather than instantaneous HR? That would smooth out the spikes if you have your Garmin set to auto lap every mile.

@juliet3455 I saw some video of those fires on the news this morning. Holy crap!!! Stay safe!!

yeah, I can set it to HR for alerts, I might just do that and not worry about pace. My HR always reads high too, compared to how I feel, so that always bugs me. I think it only goes with instantaneous HR, so that might annoying if it's buzz every few seconds if I go over my HR zone. That's using Garmin numbers, I might set custom HR zones on Garmin and use my strava zones, they line up better with how I feel.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I'm so restless not being able to run. Maybe I should quit checking all the updates. I don't know how others have managed being sidelined. I could manage a 2-3 mile run, but I'm sure I'd regret it. Appointment this afternoon with the podiatrist. Not sure what I'm hoping to hear.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I'm so restless not being able to run. Maybe I should quit checking all the updates. I don't know how others have managed being sidelined. I could manage a 2-3 mile run, but I'm sure I'd regret it. Appointment this afternoon with the podiatrist. Not sure what I'm hoping to hear.

Are you able to do anything else? Swimming or biking? I only kept from going crazy by being so dang busy at work that I was able to use the time I would have spent running by working and making my deadlines.

keep up with your core work in your down time. (not that I did that...I'm terrible about corework)

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 - Is this wildfire very near you? They are quite terrifying! We had one in our area back in August 2012 that burned about 90 square miles. It was in a rural area, but still destroyed around 400 homes (not counting all of the outbuildings, livestock, etc, that were destroyed). It burned right up to the east side of our house--the grass was scorched less than 6" from our house--but did not destroy any of our belongings nor our home. Thank god for metal siding! We were very lucky.

That fire actually started around 15-20 miles south of our house, but was fueled by extremely high temps (105-115+ degrees F every day) and dry, windy conditions. I still remember watching the ash fall from a window in our house--it looked just like snow! By the time we evacuated, we had to drive through a mile of fire to get out, as our road dead-ends and you have to drive 2 miles south from our house to get to the main east/west highway.

They actually just arrested the guy that started that fire recently (late last week??). Reading the investigation reports from the sheriff's office was just infuriating...The guy got drunk, went outside to smoke, tossed a lit cigarette on the ground, and started a small fire. He and his brother reportedly went outside and made a cursory attempt to put it out, but it was already out of control. They did not call the fire department, just went back and sat inside the house drinking beer.
  • sleepigrl
    sleepigrl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Thanks for the concern :)
    @juliet3455 Hope you're not too near those fires, scary!

Question for everyone - what do you all do for sunscreen? I sweat *so much* when I run that it all just runs off my face!
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @sleepigrl - I use Neutrogena Sport Face sunblock. It's a broad spectrum 70+ SPF. Very thick and creamy--not at all greasy. I have never had an issue with it running and have never burned while using it. And I'm pale--very pale!
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES.............TOTAL
    5/1....................REST................00.00
    5/2....................REST................00.00
    5/3.......................5.00.................5.00
    5/4.....................10.00...............15.00

exercise.png

exercise.png

2016 Races
    5/14: Glacier Ridge Ultra -- 50k (Portersville, PA)
    6/4: Kettle 100 Night Fun Run -- 38 miles (Whitewater, WI)
    7/16: ColorRun --5k (with my 15 year old)(Pittsburgh, PA)
    7/17: Presque Isle Half-Marathon (Erie, PA) -- This is maybe.. road races have too many people...
    9/10: 1st Annual Possum Glory Endurance Race -- 50k (Northern Cambria, PA)
    10/1: Cloudsplitter 100 -- 100 Miles (Pine Mountain, KY)
  • Elise4270
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Are you able to do anything else? Swimming or biking? I only kept from going crazy by being so dang busy at work that I was able to use the time I would have spent running by working and making my deadlines.

keep up with your core work in your down time. (not that I did that...I'm terrible about corework)

The Y is closed for remodeling so no swimming.(last PT said no swimming- but since I'm slated for surgery.....) I could try the pool at a different place. I haven't tried the foot on the bike. It doesn't seem like it'd be doable. But the shoes are stiff and it may be okay. Putting a shoe on still hurts. I may try the trainer and see if it's worth loading up.

Thanks!

• Elise4270
    Options
    @sleepigrl I use 50 SPF cetaphill. I don't use it very often. I wear a hat and that seems to do me fine. I'll wear it if it's windy or I'm out during peak hours. I don't sweat, so it's never an issue with me. I have some free stuff that came with race goodies that's a stick. Maybe you could carry some and reapply?

I love the BullFrog brand, and banana boat. I used those on my kids at the lake.
  • springtimez
    springtimez Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I will try to do 75 miles in May
  • Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Goal of 75 Miles for May

5/2 – 5.73 Mi
    5/4 – 5.56 Mi

Progress toward Goal 11.29 / 75
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I feel so bad for you. I had to take off 8 weeks for Nov/Dec and I was DYING to get started back on Jan 1. I did keep up other exercise but running is it's own thing :-D

@ddmom0811 and @07KatieP13 I wasn't happy last night and it was only 66F for my run! I'm a wimp. I didn't check, but I don't think it was humid either! I got a side stitch too which always seems to happen with temps of mid-60's and up.

Anybody else only get side cramps in warmer weather?

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

@stoshew71 from time to time I find good rolls in Walmart believe it or not. Great time this morning, who the heck finished ahead of you Speedy Gonzalez ? Congrats on the 2 AG and 5 OA

Will Barnwell won it all. Some dude from PM Apache won my AG. (guy in white shirt at the front of the starting line on the other side of Will).

33kqe4n8kips.jpg

rj0fi3qq9fyk.jpg

low9bi6hqa5g.jpg

h0i2s0b16ucm.jpg