Options
    May Running Totals (miles)
    5/1 – 3.11 easy
    5/2 – rest day
    5/3 – extra rest day
    5/4 – 3.51 almost easy

May total to date – 6.62

Nominal Challenge Goal – 150 miles
    Real Goals: Recover from Boston and Flower City. Build Base. Start training program for Rochester Marathon.

Today's notes – Monday was a planned rest day, but the various twinges and aches in my right leg would have dictated no running anyway. Tuesday I felt good enough to run, but it was a lot like Friday or Sunday. I was concerned that if I ran, I'd just be perpetuating the cycle of run, can't run, run, can't run. So I showed up at the running club workout in jeans, and talked to Coach. He told me to go home, take a hot bath to warm my body, then do some specific stretches for what was bothering me. Did that, and today I was down to one achey twinge in what might be my right hip abductor or might be some other muscle that I don't know.

So this evening I went out and ran. I wasn't great at pace control, and my HR spent most of the time in Zone 3. I do need to get my feel back for running easy. Paid hypochondriac-level attention to how my legs felt. All the twinges but the one went away, and that one faded to almost nothing from about 1 to 2.5 miles, then started coming back. So I went home the short way, and had another short run.

After the run, I did the stretches that Coach gave me yesterday. Oh, my! They certainly stretched where it needed much better than what I had been doing before. Of course, the acid test is whether I'm up to running again tomorrow. I'll make that call based on how the legs feel tomorrow, but right now I'm optimistic about the chances.

This recovery stuff is frustrating. For mental health, I would have liked to run about 6 miles today. But 3.5 miles was about what I could handle, subject to confirmation tomorrow that I really *could* handle that much today. Just have to remember that while running 3 miles three times a week may not be much, it beats being on the couch full time.

And the miles will come back.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY)
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hilton, NY)
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)

• 19MotherRunner80
    19MotherRunner80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Another 5 miles today. 1.5 warm-up, 2 miles at 7 mins/mile, 1.5 miles cool-down. Last run with any speed before race day on Sunday :)

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Thanks @MobyCarp, I may use that!

AlsoThanks @WhatMeRunning @7lenny7 @ddmom0811

@Zoe2434, I'm not sure I'd do yoga or Pilates. I tried that some time ago and it was .... Well, it just made me cry. I can't do it without muscle spasms. (I'm in sad shape).

I dropped by work to update them today. The nurse asked if I could just stand on one foot most of the day. "Uhhh not really- I'm hyper mobile in my hips and they become torqued". And what kind of suggestion is that from a nurse? Just don't stand on it. Duh. Just hop around carrying 40 pound sample baskets. Do I look like a kangaroo?

I've found that I'm a very intolerant person when I don't get to run. Today I thought I'd fire 95% of my co-workers if I could. A non runner tried to tell me a half marathon was 40 miles.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @Anabbee - if that happened to me, in my head I'd be saying "it's none of your *kitten* business," but would be too chicken to actually say that outloud and would probably just look at them weirdly and walk away.

@Elise4270 - I'm sorry your co-workers are difficult to deal with! Mine can be too... I hope that 2 weeks is all you'll need. Just remember Dr. Google is like Dr. Phil - he dropped out of medical school in the first year - don't trust him! :wink: Haha BUT, do trust your body and go back for a second opinion if needed :smile:

Speaking of running/walking, had to spend most of my evening last night in the hospital because one of my Sailors did a 105km walk (you're not allowed to run) race without much training. Ended up with pretty bad rhabdo and will be staying in the hospital for a few days. Just makes me remember why I don't sign up for distances unless I know I can properly train for them! :o He'll be fine, just needs lots and lots of fluids and pain control. I asked him if it was worth it and his response was "well I was number 90 out of thousands, so top 100 is worth it." I just shook my head :|
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @meganjcallaghan Glad to hear that your sister and family got out safe.
    @juliet3455 - Is this wildfire very near you?
    sleepigrl wrote: »
    @juliet3455 Hope you're not too near those fires, scary!

@ceciliaslater , @sleepigrl , @skippygirlsmom, and all the rest of the gang. I am safe and no where near the fire danger area.
    I lived in Ft. Mac for 10 years back in 1990-2000, now live in Peace River,AB . About 750km by road - 450 miles, if you had your own private plane its only about 400km cross country straight East of Peace River.

The good news is no know loss of life, at last count 2 new born babies at one of the Emergency Shelters. My friends that still live there are all safe. Members of the local RCMP have already been scheduled on a staggered rotation to travel over and provide relief to the members on the ground. The last Fire Evacuation was for a community of 7,000. This is 60,000 plus a shadow population of workers so closer to 80,000. Can't imagine the logistics of that.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @meganjcallaghan Wow, driving through burning neighourhoods sounds really scary. Glad your family is safe!

@Anabbee I have no idea what I would do if that happened to me. I remember once, when I started running for the first time, there was a bus stop where some teens used to hang out and drink beer. The first time I passed them, they were shouting some stupid comments about how I should give up, if I ran that slow I'd never loose weight, ... Today I can't believe I actually cared what some strange drunk teens were thinking. Back then I just turned my music up and pretended I didn't hear them; and avoided that road the next couple of runs. When I finally went back, I had all those things prepared I'd say to them - and they weren't there, never saw them again. Still, I've forgotten all my cleverly planned replies by now - if some random stranger came by during my next run and commented on my weight, I'd probably be as speechless as back then. Don't let that guy pull you down - you are out there running, you are doing great!

@Elise4270 Wow, so a half marathon is 40 miles now? Damn, if that's true, I'll never beat the 3h cutoff in my HM on Sunday! If only somebody informed me earlier ^^ Sorry you can't run. The nurse sounds extremely unhelpful - don't stand on it for the next two weeks? That sounds rather stupid!

I can't believe my half is already this weekend. At the moment, I'm not obsessing about which pace to run at what part of the course, but rather about when to sleep for how long. I was working during the day yesterday, went home for a few hours (biked to the shopping center, dinner, went for a run), and now I'm on night shift from 0:00 - 8:00. Good thing there isn't actually anything interesting happening at work - 24 hours without sleep, and I can hardy keep my eyes open, so I'll go to bed at 9am when I get home and get some sleep during the day. Then I'll have another 0-8am night shift on Friday morning. Horrible timing! Somehow, I have to switch back from that to some kind of schedule where I can get up at 5am for my half on Sunday. Haven't quite figured out how I'll do that yet *sigh*
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Best of luck with your sleep schedule!

@Elise4270 Never Google your symptoms when you're feeling bad! ;) Hoping hard the two weeks goes fast and that they ensure full recovery.
    10/1: Cloudsplitter 100 -- 100 Miles (Pine Mountain, KY)

@PoppetsMaster 100 mile run?!!!!?

*trembles in awe*
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    1 May – 16.1 km Distance PB
    3 May – 8.1 km
    5 May – 10.1 km

Total: 34.3 km
    Goal: 150 km (93 miles)

Upcoming:
    May 8: Mother’s Day Classic 8.4 km

My 10.1 km this morning before work was nice. Negative split until the last big hill. I was just getting into my stride and it was time to stop!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    This boot causes more pain and discomfort than just wearing my work boots. No way I can do this for 2 weeks. It feel like the boot is pulling/rubbing the hair and skin of my leg. I've been in it 10 minutes and I already have knee and hip pain.

Any advice? Tricks to wearing this cursed thing?
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @Elise4270 - Can you just do a handstand and walk around on your hands for two weeks? :trollface:

Wish I had a better idea for the boot.

Good luck this weekend @_nikkiwolf_ !

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I felt a lot better on today's 6 mile easy run than the last few days. I'm thinking tomorrow's rest day will be just what I needed. This is the 2nd week of an increased mileage cycle and I usually find those the toughest mentally. That plus racing the last 4 weekends worth of long runs...it all adds up.

5/1 - 13.1 miles
    5/2 - 6 miles
    5/3 - 6 miles
    5/4 - 9 miles
    5/5 - 6 miles

40.1/200 miles

exercise.png

2016 races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO) 2:30:17.6 new PR
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS) 2:28:39.52 new PR
    4/23 - Heroes for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO) 2:19:14 new PR
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS) 2:25:06
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for May
    5/1 REST DAY
    5/2 6.2 miles - 6.2 << Taper and cutback week. 5K race Wednesday morning
    5/3 6.2 miles - 12.4
    5/4 4.4 miles - 16.8 << PEO-AVN 5K Fun Run (was only 2.9 miles; plus 1.5 w/u)
    5/4 3.1 miles - 19.9 << got some extra miles squeezed in
    5/5 7.5 miles - 27.4

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25

• sleepigrl
    sleepigrl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that answered my question about sunscreen. I wanted to get some real-world answers, not just what I read online - oh, wait... what I meant was not just what was pitched to me online.

May 1 - 4 miles
    May 3 - 2.25 miles (of 3.1 scheduled)
    May 4 - 1.3 mile short run to warm up for strength training & catch up a bit from yesterday

exercise.png

Planned Races
    May 7th - Wildflower 5K trail run
    July 9th - Jingle in July 5K July @ Santa Claus House / North Pole
    Dec 3 & 4 - San Antonio Rock N Roll 10K & 5K

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Anabbee wrote: »
    So I've had a cold for a couple of days, and went out for my run after work today (finished at about midday), and first someone stopped me to tell me how to lose weight!!! (I couldn't believe it they actually pulled over in their car and got out to come and talk to me...feeling like I must look huuuuge!!) and then I got a phone call which I answered. Then I had the dreaded weak bladder leak (any other ladies have this ugh It is definitely better for me the more I exercise, but how I hate it).

Anyway, I decided to turn home early but I still managed a couple of kms. This challenge kept me running instead of walking. Thanks everyone for the motivation.

May 1 No run
    May 2 3km run
    May 3 Sick! Cold!
    May 4 Sick! rest!
    May 5 2km

Total: Run 5km/ 50 km

Races June 5th Christchurch Airport marathon (10k for me)
    November 19 Queenstown marathon (half for me)

Well that was rude of that person in the car. First off, for stopping you in the middle of a run. I would never stop in the middle of a run for any stranger. Unless they were like dieing or something. But other than that, i am out there for running, not chatting it up. if you want to chat with me while I am running, then run with me. And to tell you how to lose weight? While you are in the middle of running? How rude. Hey, you are the one doing something.

I don't normally bring my phone with me on a run any more. So there is nothing to answer. LOL

And I also have been dealing with a minor head cold. Sucks. At least it's not a chest cold.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @Anabbee - Who has the nerve to stop and tell someone how to lose weight? UGH that just makes me mad. We've talked about people that yell things or say stupid things before and how we need to ignore them, but honestly to stop driving, pull over and give advice? Maybe he was trying to sell something.

A few miles from me is a house where there is a really large woman who is always outside a lot in a big chair and she has a walker. This isn't on my normal running route, but I have driven past many times and always feel sorry for her. She looks so miserable. Sometimes she is shuffling around with her walker and other times sitting. And she has a very old dog that she walks with her walker. It just breaks my heart, the whole scene. So... a few months ago I was doing a long run in the daylight (rare for me!) and went by her house and she happened to be at her mailbox as I passed and she said "I wish I had your figure". I was so shocked! I guess I thought she was going to say something mean. So I said "Thank you!" Then I thought to myself, well it's like a part time job to keep it.

Potential rest day for me. Definitely not a running day but might bike after work if the stars are aligned.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    This boot causes more pain and discomfort than just wearing my work boots. No way I can do this for 2 weeks. It feel like the boot is pulling/rubbing the hair and skin of my leg. I've been in it 10 minutes and I already have knee and hip pain.

Any advice? Tricks to wearing this cursed thing?

I think you should tell the doctor that it is hurting your knee and hip. You don't want it to knock something else out of alignment (or whatever happens). So sorry. I miss your runs and I know you do! You will be back though!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    5/1-4.12 miles
    5/2- Rest
    5/3- 5.01 miles
    5/4- 3.12 miles
    5/5- 5.1

Total: 17.35/100.

Today's assignment was 45m-1h at E. Ran 5.1 miles in 53:22. Pace was a bit too fast, at 10:28/mile, but this was the first time I ran without my Garmin giving me pace alerts, so I'm not to disappointed with myself over the pace. It was a cloudy, then drizzly day for the run, so it was not as enjoyable as some have been, but I got out there and got it done, and looking to sleeping in past 0445 tomorrow morning.

Right foot was a little sore on top, and left knee was twitchy, so I'm glad for tomorrow's rest day before my Saturday Long Run and then pacing for my mom at the 5k on Sunday. I'm reevaluating my choice on my training plan, and may drop my wednesday run in favor of doing crosstraining and abs since it's an optional run day any way, and that will give me another rest day per week, and should still allow me to reach my monthly goal, as I gave myself a cushion.
  • zoe2434
    zoe2434 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    @Anabbee Alot of people just don't think before they speak! Really sorry you had to go through that, but keep your chin up and keep on running!

@Elise4270 Those big boots are very uncomfortable. Did you try wearing a high sock to help minimize the rub on your leg?