Scale number will move only when good & ready

1151617181921»

Replies

• pookey26
    pookey26 Posts: 42 Member
    I've been lurking on mfp on and off for a couple of years ....I just wanted to say this post is the first post that I've read that makes sense to me.

I've been the same weight for the past 4 years but this last year I've been working out hard 5/6 days a week and love it , I've dropped a dress size , gained muscle, lost inches , even some muscle definition but the damn scale ain't budged.....however reading this post has given me the motivation to carry on and have a closer look at my calories and not be afraid to eat more to fuel .

Thank you x
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Awesome!
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    edited May 2016
    pookey26 wrote: »
    I've been lurking on mfp on and off for a couple of years ....I just wanted to say this post is the first post that I've read that makes sense to me.

I've been the same weight for the past 4 years but this last year I've been working out hard 5/6 days a week and love it , I've dropped a dress size , gained muscle, lost inches , even some muscle definition but the damn scale ain't budged.....however reading this post has given me the motivation to carry on and have a closer look at my calories and not be afraid to eat more to fuel .

Thank you x

Awesome! Good on ya thanks
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    This is an old thread, but the original post sums up how I feel just now, so I searched it out!
  • SpringB82
    SpringB82 Posts: 25 Member
    Hey,
    @Charmmeth
    I totally agree with you and I am having the same problem!!
    Good luck with it all! Feel free to add me for support!!
  • Steelkid
    Steelkid Posts: 74 Member
    Kim55555 wrote: »
    Skinny4 thanks so much for bringing this thread back to life as I too lately have started to become a bit too obsessed with the scale. I needed this reminder! :smile:

A lot of people will say if you don't see a scale drop then you need to drop your calories because you are not in defecit. This is not always true though! This basically applies to people who have more to lose or who are sedentary.

For those of us who are close to goal weight and/or exercise intensely we need to use other tools to track our progress. We have to contend with fluid retention from soreness and from recomping which adds scale weight.

If you haven't yet read Tim Venutos Burn the fat feed the muscle I highly recommend you do so !

With the scale you get weekly feedback and if you are off track you will know about it a lot faster compared to if you tracking your progress by taking measurements, the way your clothes fit & by taking monthly photographs which is a 3 to 4 week feedback. So we ave to be patient and wait a month to see if our efforts are working.

Back in 2012 I got down to 57 kg. The last few kg's took around 12 months to lose. In 2013 I did a 9 month bulk went up to 66 kg then did a cut and got to 62 kg. I looked thinner after my bulk weighing 62 kg than I did when I weighed 57 kg back in 2012. I'm not sure what scale number I could have got to after my bulk as I decided that after 5 months of cutting I was happy with how I looked so I went onto maintenance. I'll have to share my photos sometime.

This time around I have decided to give myself a full 12 months at defecit and I'd be curious to see what scale weight I end up at but this time around I might not even get to 57 kg as I put on muscle during my 2013 bulk!

I'm seriously thinking about ditching those scales and just let the scale number end up where it wants to. It's too discouraging.

A109 it's never to late to learn from this. I recommend you weigh in once monthly. Good on you for having another go. I feel a lot of women have done the same as you and given up for the same reason. If only they would have kept going they would have seen amazing results. The fat loss is masked by the water retention, you are also building stronger bones, ligaments, tendons, muscles need repairing and sucks in a lot of water to do so which makes you heavier on the scale. :smiley:

Teemac that is f&@$) awesome!!! Woohooo good on ya, and enjoy!! :smiley:

Dst your very welcome :smile:

If your keen, check out my other mfp posts from the last few years. I used to post a lot in 2011 - 2013. You'll be able to read my story and the problems/frustrations I went through.

Just out of curiosity how many calories are you girls averaging per week ?? I've been averaging approx 1850 weekly calories and have done very well on that amount! Now that I'm a bit lighter weight I'm trying to stick to closer to 1750 but find half the time I'm eating 1800 and something.

Oh and ps I don't have/don't want to have friends on mfp so please don't be offended if I don't add you! I just don't have the time. I can sometimes post here on mfp or we can keep this thread alive and chat about one another's progress if your keen. :smile:

Which is why I try to drink plenty of water.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!