May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 Disorganized races are the worst. All you can do is leave them a poor review and dissuade people from doing their races next year. I've done a glow run before and they are typically set up by people who don't know the area, have limited staffing, etc. Very weird for them to host during the day though!

@shanaber I was wondering where the Mt Sac relays were! But I figured the shirt was too accurate to pass up :D
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    So I was just got dressed to go out for a run when suddenly...well..hail

See for yourself.

https://youtu.be/fDGnW84r50g

It's like the gods want me to be lazy. Eh maybe later

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    5/1: 26.2 miles (26.5 according to Garmin!)
    5/2: Marathon recovery day
    5/3: More marathon recovery
    5/4: 3.5 miles with Pacers Wed squad
    5/5: 3.5 miles with Thursday crew
    5/6: Rest day
    5/7: 6.2 miles with Saturday RAP crew

Nice and easy social run with the Saturday running group. We're on our sixth day in a row of rainy/cloudy/humid weather, and I am super duper over it. I want to run in the sunshine, darn it! Legs are feeling good, but not real peppy yet. I am not going to be running very fast any time soon, but 6 miles didn't feel too incredibly long so recovery is going well! I'm going to try for 8-10 miles tomorrow, but it'll just depend on how I feel tomorrow morning.

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    5/15: Princeton 5k << Volunteering, not racing
    6/11: Pacers Princeton Halfway Half (Princeton, NJ)
    7/4: a fourth of july race somewhere!
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon
  • 19MotherRunner80
    19MotherRunner80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Did my 4miles easy yesterday. Went home and went to bed at 8:45pm (woohoo...party at my house). Still battling the cold today but no worse...yay? Rest day today race day tomorrow!

exercise.png
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    No clue about my iron. My resting heart rate is 55. But just walking puts me at 120 and walking uphill 140. I've been working out for years and running doesn't feel that hard? Except running uphill kicks my butt. You'd think I would've dropped dead running 8 min miles if my heart rate is this high running slow. Lol.

Sounds a lot like mine. RHR is about 55 also. Walking heart rate will be similar. We just may be a bit outside normal. I read that the wide range is a good sign, 50's to 180+. My iron and cholesterol are good. So, I just don't worry much anymore. I did an EKG and a stress test to make sure nothing was amiss. It nice to see someone else with similar physiology.

Running up hill is a killer!
    @Elise4270 @greenolivetree Sounds a lot like me, too!
    I've found that for me, heart rate zones that are based on the "heart rate reserve" (HRR = maxHR minus restingHR) work better than training zones based on the max HR alone (for example the "Karvonen modified"-column in this training zone calculator). My RHR is around 55, maxHR around 205, and a lot of my runs average between 160 and 170.
    Now I just go by feel when I'm running, but when I compare my HR to those zones afterwards, the HRR-zones agree at least a little better with my percived effort. Just looking at maxHR-zones would put my long runs at the lower end of the anaerobic range - and I'm rather sure I'm not doing 2+ hours of anaerobic exercise and feeling happy and relaxed afterwards, so that can't be right.

@Orphia Wow, another PR?! Congratulations! :) And all the best for the pink run tomorrow, great that you're doing that!

@ariceroni Thumbs up to you for recognising that you needed a day like this to cheer you up. Sounds like you had a really lovely day!

@9voice9 Oh no, sounds like a horribly organised race! Changing the course without priour announcement, and only registering the time for the first 3 runners to finish? I hope you didn't pay a big registration fee for that!

@CChen8520 The only way to find out if you like races is to sign up for one ;)

@michable Well done on your run! 30km is a really impressive distance, and it sounds like you had a good time while running it. Enjoy your well-earned lazy day tomorrow!

@AdrianChr92 Brrr, that looks like no-running weather for sure. I never let rain stop me from a run, but hail is where I draw the line too. No fun getting punched in the face by little balls of ice...

@pearlica Take it easy today, I hope the rest day will help that you are in good shape on race day!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    5/1-4.12 miles
    5/2- Rest
    5/3- 5.01 miles
    5/4- 3.12 miles
    5/5- 5.1
    5/6- rest
    5/7- 8.44

Total: 25.79/100

Today's assignment was 1h-1h20m Long Run. Ended up going 1:29:21 because it was either that or cut my run down to 6 miles and only 1:04:00 and I always eat to be well above the minimum time for my runs. 8.44 miles at 10:35 pace. Miles 1 and 2 were way too fast being mostly down hill, but I evened it out really well miles 3-7. For mile 8, my mom had jogged out and joined me for the run back into town. So proud of her! Great run with some good hills in it. Great way to get ready for tomorrow's 5k and pacing for mama!
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    @ariceroni Good for you for taking care of yourself. That sounds like a perfect day off to me, too.

@9voice9 What an awful, miserable, no good race. I have avoided races that seem gimmicky (color runs, foam runs, Sundae runs, etc.) because I don't want more crap landing on me when I'm already sweaty--but I've thought glow runs sounded fun. Maybe not, though!

@AdrianChr92 r92 Yeah, I don't even like to run in the rain (see: don't like stuff landing on me when I'm sweaty, lol--also I wear glasses and don't have windshield wipers), no way I'd run with ice being thrown at me by the sky! But I loved your video because I miss tile roofs and windows that open to the side. When I was a teenager, my family lived in Germany, and our cat would jump out the window onto the roof, easy as you please and then come back in when she felt ready.
    michable wrote: »

@CChen8520 - You know, I don't know if I like races, either, after doing a few of them... but I feel like there needs to be a point to all the training. I am not sure if I could keep myself motivated enough to train if I didn't have a goal (the race) at the end. But the race is certainly not the be-all and end-all, to me anyway, because you spend so much more time in training than you do in the actual race. It's a whole process from beginning the training program to doing the race at the end; and it can be quite transformative, I think.

I don't really love races, either. Too many people, and I don't have a chance of ever placing. But having a goal to train for is really helpful. And it *is* good when a race is organized well and there are people cheering you on (at my last race they had someone radio ahead the numbers of the people who were almost at the finish line so that someone could be cheering you by name when you crossed. That was really nice!)
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    But I loved your video because I miss tile roofs and windows that open to the side. When I was a teenager, my family lived in Germany, and our cat would jump out the window onto the roof, easy as you please and then come back in when she felt ready.
    Okay, now I'm baffled - I only went to the US a handful of times, and the last time is already more than ten years ago, but I never noticed that there weren't any tile roofs. And even more puzzling - you don't have windows that open to the side? So only slider windows, where you can only get half the window to be open at a time? The only other kinds of window I can think of which don't open to the side are those pivot windows, but I've only ever seen them on roofs, not for lower-floor rooms.
    dach-schwingfenster-fts-v-u2-bxh-94-x-118-cm-natur-1171587.jpg

I had one of those pivot windows as a kid. And the one thing our cat enjoyed more than walking around on the roof was to balance on the window edge and enjoy the view - so that I had to wait for him to make up his mind before I could close the window once he was completely in or out :D
    ynnurvd0h5zw.jpg
  • Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Forgot to log my last run so doing both today :)
    1/5: 8.1 Miles
    3/5: 5.0 Miles
    5/5: 6.0 Miles
    7/5: 9.0 Miles

exercise.png

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    May Running Totals (miles)
    5/1 – 3.11 easy
    5/2 – rest day
    5/3 – extra rest day
    5/4 – 3.51 almost easy
    5/5 – 6.34 easy
    5/6 – planned rest day
    5/7 – 11.02 with pace group

May total to date – 23.98

Nominal Challenge Goal – 150 miles
    Real Goals: Recover from Boston and Flower City. Build Base. Start training program for Rochester Marathon.

Today's notes – It's been a tough couple of weeks, and it was with some trepidation that I set out to pace 11 miles at a target of 8:30. Still had that sore spot on the right thigh, and didn't know whether I'd last the distance. Had a small group, consisting of Young Jeff (who also ran Boston), myself, Rob (about to run his first marathon on May 29), and Chris (a BQ-wannabe, but currently in training for Sehgahunda):

lcy06kc43ja9.jpg

The picture is at 7 miles, on a bridge that is traditional for selfies on the paced runs. I lucked out, and got a coach to take our picture on my phone.

The early miles were a bit fast, with Chris always willing to push the pace and me not pulling it back quite as far as I should. The last 4 came in slower, partly because that's where the stoplights were. Got done, did my stretches, and the leg felt perfectly normal. (That didn't last. The sore spot became a bit sore again after I cooled down, but it's better than it was after the run Thursday.)

The next increment was +9 miles for 20 total. I wasn't dumb enough to go 20 miles today, and neither was Young Jeff. Rob assessed how he was feeling and called it quits at 11 instead of trying for the 22 his plan called for; he had been running a lot of races recently, and right now it's more important for him to get into taper. Chris needed time on his feet, something like 2 or 2 and a half hours; but he had some trail running lined up for later anyway.

Total time (excluding paused Garmin at the water stop where the picture was taken) was 1:32:18, for an average pace of 8:23 as compared to the target pace of 8:30. The actual average was brought down by several stoplights in the last 4 miles, so I didn't do all that good a job holding the pace down where it belonged; but everyone in the group was okay with where we ended up, so no harm done.

Being able to actually run 11 miles was a huge mental boost for me. If I'm able to run 4 to 6 miles tomorrow, that will also be big. Right now, I'm thinking I've turned the corner on recovery; but how I feel tomorrow could still change that picture. I'm hopeful I'll be able to do the Lilac 10K as a race next weekend.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY)
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hilton, NY)
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES.............TOTAL
    5/1....................REST................00.00
    5/2....................REST................00.00
    5/3.......................5.00.................5.00
    5/4.....................10.00...............15.00
    5/5.......................3.00...............18.00
    5/6....................REST................18.00
    5/7.....................12.00...............30.00

exercise.png

exercise.png

2016 Races
    5/14: Glacier Ridge Ultra -- 50k (Portersville, PA)
    6/4: Kettle 100 Night Fun Run -- 38 miles (Whitewater, WI)
    7/16: ColorRun --5k (with my 15 year old)(Pittsburgh, PA)
    7/17: Presque Isle Half-Marathon (Erie, PA) -- This is maybe.. road races have too many people...
    9/10: 1st Annual Possum Glory Endurance Race -- 50k (Northern Cambria, PA)
    10/1: Cloudsplitter 100 -- 100 Miles (Pine Mountain, KY)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom looks like I finally caught up with you. I better keep my A game going
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    First race is one week away... I am looking forward to it, even though I do not feel like I am in top "trail shape" yet. Because this is the first of four long races this summer, I have been building my weekly mileage conservatively so as not to burn out and get ground down too soon. The downside to that strategy is that I am probably not entirely ready for Saturday, but the upside is that I have been running injury free for nearly 20 months and I am feeling pretty strong.... I just need to stay patient and keep my my focus on the Cloudsplitter in October.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom looks like I finally caught up with you. I better keep my A game going

@mnlittlefinn whats your mileage ha ha
  • heatherdonovan3
    heatherdonovan3 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm trying to get back into running so I'm hoping this will help motivate me. I started a C25K this week. I've only completed 1 day so far & it was 2 miles. I think I'm going to set a goal for 25 miles this month. It's a bit low but it's something until I see where I'm at. Any suggestions for motivation would be welcome. Also anyone who is looking for friends on here, feel free to add me.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I see people with these lists of races they're slogging through and wonder how on earth anybody can afford the registration costs for all these things. lol
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I woke up this morning about an hour later than I wanted, and I was still tired and did not feel at all like running. But I got ready anyway because days like that can turn into great runs sometimes. Today was not one of them.

All miles sucked in varying degrees. My body kept trying to convince me some part was too achey or maybe tweaked a bit but each part got better after more running only to have some other part start complaining. I was also thirsty on the entire run despite having a 32oz bottle of Gatorade with me. I felt the need to stop at 10.5 miles and go home.

I thought at first that I would shuffle my schedule to make next week a down/recovery week. But in the hours since I feel very well, no soreness or stiffness and am kicking myself for stopping 3.5 miles short of the plan. Adding to that is the fact that I wimped out on Wednesday's mid-week long run cutting it 1 mile short. So now I'm thinking of tacking on the missing miles to tomorrow's 6 miler, making it a 10.5 mile long run and taking my first crack at back to back long runs this training cycle. These are coming in the near future in my normal plan.

I honestly am not convinced I am fatigued. My resting heart rate and how I am not feeling fatigued in other parts of the day is why I am convinced of that.

5/1 - 13.1 miles
    5/2 - 6 miles
    5/3 - 6 miles
    5/4 - 9 miles
    5/5 - 6 miles
    5/6 - Rest
    5/7 - 10.5 miles

50.6/200 miles

exercise.png

2016 races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO) 2:30:17.6 new PR
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS) 2:28:39.52 new PR
    4/23 - Heroes for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO) 2:19:14 new PR
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS) 2:25:06
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    So I was just got dressed to go out for a run when suddenly...well..hail

See for yourself.
    Yeah, and? It's hailing. You might get a little ice on your noggin. Why is that supposed to stop you from running? Seems like motivation to run faster to avoid getting pelted. Of course, that means you'll get wetter than walking...

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/running-in-the-rain-minimyth/