twilight fanatics challenge! get your vamp on by november 1

Options

Replies

• susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Nice easy one for you all to try cooking wise! I made this at the weekend for the Bf's birthday.

7 hr lamb (don't panic you don't need to watch it for 7hrs!)

1 large leg of lamb , about 3kg/6lb 8oz
    4 onions , sliced ( I 1/4'd mine)
    8 garlic cloves , peeled, but left whole
    4 carrots , leave whole if small or quarter lengthways
    300ml white wine
    300ml stock , use what you have (I used beef)
    thyme sprigs, to finish

Leg of lamb, I'd suggest skinning it unless you have a pet that will eat the skin, brown the sides in a pan as it won't brown as it's cooking.

Once it's brown add the stock and wine and onions and carrots and garlic and bring to the boil. Put all of this in a big dish with a lid and stick it in the oven for 7hrs, turning it twice. My meat fell off the bone at the 2nd turning, so stripped the bones and just left the meat cooking. (the fox at the yard loved me!)

It's so easy and tasty and the meat just falls off the bone! When the 7hrs are up drain the liquid into a pan and boil it until it reduces by about 1/3 and then put it all in a bowl on the table and serve with a spoon. It's lovely with mash! And no need for extra gravy!

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: sounds yummy
  • arodriguez2
    arodriguez2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    hmmm. i work every day and night this week except for tomorrow. So I will be making dinner tomorrow then lol. I also plan on making myself breakfast every morning again. Good thing this is the challenge, I've had a hard time sticking to what I PLAN on doing!
  • evonday
    evonday Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Great job last week everyone!
    And I love this challenge. I used to eat out a lot, and while I've cut back, the temptation is ALWAYS there. It's fast, it's easy, and I don't have to clean. But cooking at home brings so much more control on my intake... I can't wait to tackle this weeks challenge!
  • nlsalvatore
    nlsalvatore Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Saw this posted at my son's karate school tonight - it is totally relevant and true! "Proper planning, hard work, an dpatience are key elements to accomplishing goals." I thought the proper planning part especially went well with this week's challenge to spend more time in the kitchen! Have a great week all - July is just around the corner!
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    I made some yummy chicken tonight for dinner! Does anyone have any yummy, healthy chicken crock pot recipes that they could share? Thanks! :-)
  • lhurtubise
    lhurtubise Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I cooked shrimp quesadillas tonight! YAY ME!!! I NEVER cook !
  • Daniellaellaa
    Options
    add me .. im so down to do this challenge!!! lets get it!!!
  • sccamero
    sccamero Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Eating in more was actually my plan for this month and I am so glad that it is this week's challenge. so far I made some awesome baked ziti and plan to make some more awesome meals. Hope everyone has a great week!!!
  • o0IrishEyes0o
    o0IrishEyes0o Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am definately glad to be active in this weeks challenge. We eat out a lot and it's SO expensive. Gonna make some yummy chicken tonight and maybe a crock pot meal for tomorrow.

I love coming home and having dinner done :)
  • DorothyNorrington
    DorothyNorrington Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I love this challenge! I eat out a lot and I think it would be very beneficial to me to eat at home more. I can control the ingredients, and serving sizes to fit my needs. Thanks for the great challenge!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    hey, all you vamps! i'm glad to have so many positive responses to this week's challenge - yay! if any of you have an idea for a weekly challenge, send it to me via private message and i'll throw it in the pot.

i'm having a lovely time at the beach - i've been exercising daily and loafing on the beach in a two-piece. amazing stuff. speaking of which, it's about time to go loaf some more - have a great day!
  • FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Will have a think on the challenge one... what have the previous challenges been?
  • robston
    robston Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I love the kitchen challenge..I cook at least 3-4 nights a week, and since we bought our house, my hubby gets to BBQ year round with the covered patio..so..we do ALOT of our main meal off the BBQ (flat iron steak-its amazingly low in cals for beef, and its so lean and rich in flavor), chicken breast and thighs..etc)

Today, i'm in ONDERLAND!!!! but JUST barely..hit 199.8 today..but my sister and my 16 year old niece are coming from Cali for the weekend, and I havent seen them in 5 years..so I KNOW there is going to be some lieniencey in the food and drink this weekend. So, I'm not going to get too attached to that number YET!!!

I'm working out tomorrow and Fri AM before work and may even do a spin class Sat morning before they arrive..This is by no means me "flaking out" or taking advantage of a "free" weekend because of my guests..I'm just being realistic, but I'm planning on trying to be as active as I can..lots of walking around with the girls..and being careful of food and drink, but I'm not going to stress on it, because I really want to enjoy my time with them, and I dont want to have to "worry" about where we can go and what can I eat. I'm just going to make the best choices for me with what is available...wish me luck

I think a great idea for a challage would be to try one new fruit or vegatable..and have people submit their recipes/preperation of various fruits/veggies, so someone who hasnt tried something before has a really great idea/proven method to try it for the first time..I know I havent been great with my veggies lately..I tend to be very tunnel vision, not outside the box, so I'll do asparagus, steamed, or broccoli..or I'll have one of the frozen steamfresh singles of broccoli or caulflower and cheese sauce (low cal of course)..so I would love to have some ideas of new ways to prepare some veggies..even veggies I eat frequently, but a new way to do it..
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I'm on with the challenge. I do a lot of my own cooking. I made healthy bagel sandwiches this week:

4 oz gimme lean veggie sausage
    1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1 Thomas Bagel

500 calories and 12 grams of fat, but you can lower the amount of cheese. It is very filling adn has a lot less fat than a wawa breakfast sandwich. You can make it a lot healthier by cutting down on the cheese.

I plan on making some new things this week. Spinach sauteed in garlic, 2 tbsp oil, and veggie broth. Scrambled greek tofu with garlic and feta cheese. and, of course, veggie pasta with tomatoes, garlic, and oil.
  • FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm in prague from tomorrow until sunday night for my friends hen do... I really can't see the weight loss doing too well!

However providing that I am in a fit state sunday night I will be cooking something yummy... quite what I don't know!
  • lhurtubise
    lhurtubise Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    How are you all doing this week? I am dreading this 4th of July weekend. Hoping not to gain anymore weight. Maybe the weigh in can be my motivation! Good luck to you all! :heart:
  • angelofmusic1
    Options
    Well, I organised my pantry today and got moving on the treadmill. I made a Moroccan dish tonight and had it on couscous with a salad. In all, I think a pretty good dinner. I like the idea of trying a new fruit and/or vege in a week. That could be interesting!
  • o0IrishEyes0o
    o0IrishEyes0o Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Grumpin' out today, ladies. I'm up 5 lbs this week and I have no clue how it happened.

I mean, this was a lax week for me, food wise. Definately had a few days where I was 300 over my daily caloric goal... but that doesn't even come close to equaling 5lbs worth of calories. And I've been working out.

*grumble*

I'm feeling that sense of "whats the point" big time. After all... four weeks of work completely undone by 4 days of eating more than 1200 calories (but still under 2000) while busting my butt.... it's disheartening.

And now I get to go on vacation, where I'm petrified I'm going to gain 5 more pounds. Blargh.
  • PhoenixRising17
    PhoenixRising17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    This week I have not gone out to eat at all since over the weekend really messed me up going out and caused me to go up a lb so I've been trying VERY hard to be good this week and make more things at home and it ended up going in my favor :) my fridge is stocked with healthy goodies and yesterday I tried to be VERY healthy in my food choices and it didnt even feel bad to me I actually felt GREAT and full but not the kind of full where you are ready to hurl everywhere :) this new lifestyle is really growing on me!....hope everybody has a great holiday weekend!!!