1200 calories? Macros?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Everything has its place and use. But we are discussing weight loss and making 'healthier' choices over a consistent period of time without counting the calorie content, creating good habits.

I get what you are trying to say. Believe me I do. It's important to pay attention to the overall quality of your diet. Building good habits is important for a healthy lifestyle. Keeping a good calorie balance is also important for weight control. Those are two different things, even though they seem to overlap in a holistic approach to weight loss.

What seems to be the issue, however, is that you are confusing two different things as one. Eating healthy, or clean, or whatever you want to call it, does not automatically equal weight loss. Just take a stroll along the "diet and weight loss help" board and see how many "I'm eating clean, why am I not losing weight" topics you will find. People often have this illusion that to lose weight they need to eat clean. It may work for some to some degree, just like low carb/vegan/paleo/the twinkie diet..etc works for some to create a calorie deficit, but it does not guarantee weight loss. Like I told you earlier, I naturally eat mostly clean nutrient rich foods out of preference, yet it did not prevent me from becoming morbidly obese.

Counting calories is just a tool. Just like any tool, including healthy eating, it may trigger pre-existing issues. It does not make calorie counting inherently unhealthy, and for many people it's a very valuable tool for weight loss and maintenance.

Do you have to count calories to lose weight? Can you lose weight by making better food choices??
  • Fitlondongirlu
    Fitlondongirlu Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Track calories and carbs! Way forward. And eat protein all day long ❤
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Absolutely! Everything has its place and use. But we are discussing weight loss and making 'healthier' choices over a consistent period of time without counting the calorie content, creating good habits.

I get what you are trying to say. Believe me I do. It's important to pay attention to the overall quality of your diet. Building good habits is important for a healthy lifestyle. Keeping a good calorie balance is also important for weight control. Those are two different things, even though they seem to overlap in a holistic approach to weight loss.

What seems to be the issue, however, is that you are confusing two different things as one. Eating healthy, or clean, or whatever you want to call it, does not automatically equal weight loss. Just take a stroll along the "diet and weight loss help" board and see how many "I'm eating clean, why am I not losing weight" topics you will find. People often have this illusion that to lose weight they need to eat clean. It may work for some to some degree, just like low carb/vegan/paleo/the twinkie diet..etc works for some to create a calorie deficit, but it does not guarantee weight loss. Like I told you earlier, I naturally eat mostly clean nutrient rich foods out of preference, yet it did not prevent me from becoming morbidly obese.

Counting calories is just a tool. Just like any tool, including healthy eating, it may trigger pre-existing issues. It does not make calorie counting inherently unhealthy, and for many people it's a very valuable tool for weight loss and maintenance.

Do you have to count calories to lose weight? Can you lose weight by making better food choices??

You can lose weight by making different food choices, but it's not guaranteed, not reliable and in many cases not sustainable due to avoiding certain foods people love. There is a difference between "can" and "will". In the case of calorie counting you WILL lose weight and you don't have to give up the things you love. Plus you don't run the risk of eating too few calories.
  • hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

You can lose weight by making different food choices, but it's not guaranteed, not reliable and in many cases not sustainable due to avoiding certain foods people love. There is a difference between "can" and "will". In the case of calorie counting you WILL lose weight and you don't have to give up the things you love. Plus you don't run the risk of eating too few calories.

Weight loss isn't solely down to calorie counting.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Of course your going to lose weight by counting calories, all I'm saying is, there is no need to. Just make better choices! The consistency in making better food choices will result in weight loss. I'm not saying you have to eat the equivalent calories in a damn pizza to make up for the loss!

I think everyone need to weigh out a chill pill, log the calories & macros and RELAX!!

Are you saying it is not possible to overeat if one is making "good" choices?

Of course it is! My point is, the choices you make will ultimately affect the outcome. If you had pizza every night for dinner, and you replaced that with say salad, then you know it won't be the same. I'm not saying you have to eat the equivalent in salad to pizza calorie wise, I'm saying YOU WILL KNOW WITHOUT COUNTING CALORIES YOU WILL BE IN A DEFICIT.

I can easily create a salad that has the same number of calories as a couple of pieces of pizza. Most people could.

But if your goal was to lose weight, why would you create a high calories meal??

I'm not saying that I would intentionally. I'm saying that if I think salad is always a better choice for a calorie deficit than pizza, no matter what is in it or how much of it I eat, I can easily harm my weight loss efforts if I choose a salad that actually has more calories than a serving of pizza.

That's what is so unhelpful about saying that salad is good for a deficit and pizza is bad. Some salads have more calories than pizza. Some pizza has more calories than salad. Some combinations of salad and pizza have fewer calories than just salad.

It's just not a useful tool for weight loss.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Weight loss isn't solely down to calorie counting.

It's down to creating a deficit and calorie counting is the easiest and most efficient way to do that for many people.

• gordonfitlog
    gordonfitlog Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Of course your going to lose weight by counting calories, all I'm saying is, there is no need to. Just make better choices! The consistency in making better food choices will result in weight loss. I'm not saying you have to eat the equivalent calories in a damn pizza to make up for the loss!

I think everyone need to weigh out a chill pill, log the calories & macros and RELAX!!

Are you saying it is not possible to overeat if one is making "good" choices?

Of course it is! My point is, the choices you make will ultimately affect the outcome. If you had pizza every night for dinner, and you replaced that with say salad, then you know it won't be the same. I'm not saying you have to eat the equivalent in salad to pizza calorie wise, I'm saying YOU WILL KNOW WITHOUT COUNTING CALORIES YOU WILL BE IN A DEFICIT.

I can easily create a salad that has the same number of calories as a couple of pieces of pizza. Most people could.

But if your goal was to lose weight, why would you create a high calories meal??

But if you're not counting calories than how would one know it's a high calorie meal? It's a salad. Salad = healthy and low cal in a lot of people's mind.

But you'd understand the constitution of the food otherwise you wouldn't know you were creating a high calorie salad.
    So you are saying that you would "know" putting foods in would have too many calories, and therefore would not use them. Which is keeping a loose count of calories..........

But your point is clear.

If you only choose clean healthy balanced meals/food, you would be surprised at the volume of chow you can squeeze into your meal budget.

When i started eating right (just a month ago...so still new) I was a little shocked how MUCH I had to eat to lose weight. I was having 3 HUGE meals.....with tons of munching every hour. And i would still need to eat more to hit my 1800 calories.

I then started to add back some "not so lean" options, to balance out and be able to hit my calorie budget (yes i count) and not feel i was overeating. A little more meat, some cheese, a dressing, etc....

So i think the whole point is

You can eat a HECK OF A LOT of certain foods for very little calories if you eat the right things.
  • DomasBalys
    DomasBalys Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First of by eating 1200 calories you are going to starve your body amd inflict a massive metabolic damage. Look up on internet about adaptive thermogenesis. You will loose weight, yes, but when you gonna start eat properly - you will binge out and become even bigger. Starvation diets never work. You need to adopt a lifestyle, not a fad diet which will damage your health and metabolism big time. Do not be afraid of food and always listen to your body. If you are hungry - eat. But eat the right foods. Everyone talks about calories, but no one talks about growth hormones. I suggest get rid of animal products, go plant based, eat as much as you want, loose weight and most importantly - maintain it!