Diet drinks?

Replies

• km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    I don't think there's any risk for weight gain, but for your health in general, water is best. My mom used to drink diet coke everyday for decades. When she went to the doctor, he found she had osteoporosis and kidney stones. I do think the soda is a contributing factor in this. I don't think it's bad every now and then, but people drinking it everyday may need to reconsider.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    I think this depends on everyone. Diet soda becomes an addiction, the same as regular soda, or coffee would. Honestly, i'm confused how anyone can think it's 'good' for you, considering it is entirely artificial.

By quitting diet soda, I lost weight and reduced the majority of my fibromyalgia symptoms. Most people may not have an issue with this, but I have a reaction to aspartame that causes immense body pain and flare ups.

It's not entirely artificial, 99% of it is water. Only the sweeteners are and there's barely 1/10 of a gram in a can.
    And the insulin that T1 diabetics use is also completely made artificially and that's definitely good for them, so that argument isn't worth much to begin with.

Worse. The insulin is GMO!!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    OP I've been drinking Diet Coke for 25 years or so. I drank it at my skinniest, at my heaviest, and most recently while i was losing 30 lbs. it causes me no particular cravings.

It's a zero calorie beverage. It does not hinder weight loss. If your replace caloric beverages with diet soda, it can help you lose weight if you don't replace those calories elsewhere.

• daniellek30
    daniellek30 Posts: 171 Member
    edited May 2016
    Are zero calorie/or diet drinks bad for u? Or make it harder to loose weight?

I drink them all the time. I don't know why they would be bad if they don't have anything in them, but I read something about it and was curious.

Are zero calorie/or diet drinks bad for u?

That is the question that was asked. I'm really confused why i'm being persecuted for answering the question the same way everyone else would, with their opinion. She also asked if it made it harder to lose weight, and in my opinion it does. So i'm wrong, because of my opinion?

The fact that people have to DEFEND a drink, is an issue in itself. The fact that I have to now defend MYSELF is also an issue in a place that shouldn't be making me feel bad about my own opinions.

Also, I didn't say people who drink it are unhealthy - I said I think it's hypocritical to promote healthy and clean eating, and then to also promote diet soda.

I'm also very confused, and I feel like this should be a separate post - but you're putting me under fire, on a website that is supposed to be 'anti-judgement' for weight loss help. I feel more judgement come from this website by people who think that THEIR WAY IS CORRECT, when everyone's body is different.

If you all want to continue drinking diet soda, that is wonderful. Because I will continue on with my day, knowing that I didn't make anyone feel crappy about their opinion on a carbonated beverage. But thank you all for taking my opinion, and ripping it apart to try to make me feel like i'm in the wrong.

At the end of the day, the only healthy thing that you should be drinking is water. I've had my struggle with diet soda, and I kicked it - yay for me! - and now I drink water, and am currently hoping to try and curb my love for coffee (and reduce it down to not so much each day. Tough.)

If you all feel that diet soda is great for you, then that is great! I was always told that opinions are like you know whats, everyone has them! And they are entitled to them! But maybe instead of focusing on tearing people apart over a drink, you can focus on just answering a question with your opinion, and then moving on to the next person to help with their weight loss struggle.
  • daniellek30
    Serah87 wrote: »

When I work around veggies and fruits, especially like tomatoes, etc. I get a rash and break out if I don't wash my hands right away, I guess I should't have that in body right??

Should you have pesticides in your body....?

No, you shouldn't.

But judging by you're profile, and how you actually tell just about everyone who doesn't agree with you that you won't be friends with them, I won't continue this conversation.

Just as a fellow Christian, we're taught to love, not judge and mock others.

• TashiBlue
    TashiBlue Posts: 86 Member
    This is quite a personal topic and if it works for you and you aren't causing harm to anyone else keep doing what you are doing. However below is my experience with carbonated drinks and a reason why I am in the process of excluding them from my diet.

Its not always about the calories but I certainly think they are bad if they turn into an addiction. Years ago I used to drink carbonated drinks mainly Coke/Pepsi sometimes own brands exclusively, so from the moment I woke up until the time I went to bed. Most were diet so although it didn't add calories to my diet the drinks destroyed my teeth. Thankfully I still have my teeth but each one of my molars now have very deep fillings. Since then I have cut my intake down to one 2L bottle a week although usually its flat and thrown away before its used. Within the next month I am removing this completely and will only be drinking diet carbonated drinks when I am at social events as I don't drink alcohol.

• daniellek30
    elphie754 wrote: »

You are not being persecuted.

Diet soda CAN be a part of healthy eating. Unless you have a medical condition, there is nothing wrong with it.

You are stating that because YOU have a medical condition, diet soda is bad for everyone and should not be consumed. That is not true. I have a medical condition where I am allergic to certain foods, that does not mean that everyone else should avoid those foods as well.

Your opinion doesn't match with scientific fact. You can opinion all you want, but the science is not going to change. I could have an opinion that the earth revolves around the moon, but I would still be wrong because science shows it is not true.

People are stepping up and saying something because people can read the misinformation and believe it to be true. That is how all the diet myths get started and continue to be parroted.

I have not met one doctor, working with a ton of doctors, who has ever defended diet soda, and said it was good for you.

I answered a question.

Phosphoric acid causes corrosion. That is a scientific fact, not an opinion.

Either way, I gave my answer - I do think it is BAD for you - again, that is wonderful that you all don't. Continue drinking it, and enjoy!
  • daniellek30
    TashiAce wrote: »
    This is quite a personal topic and if it works for you and you aren't causing harm to anyone else keep doing what you are doing. However below is my experience with carbonated drinks and a reason why I am in the process of excluding them from my diet.

Its not always about the calories but I certainly think they are bad if they turn into an addiction. Years ago I used to drink carbonated drinks mainly Coke/Pepsi sometimes own brands exclusively, so from the moment I woke up until the time I went to bed. Most were diet so although it didn't add calories to my diet the drinks destroyed my teeth. Thankfully I still have my teeth but each one of my molars now have very deep fillings. Since then I have cut my intake down to one 2L bottle a week although usually its flat and thrown away before its used. Within the next month I am removing this completely and will only be drinking diet carbonated drinks when I am at social events as I don't drink alcohol.

Good for you! :)
  • Katwin2013
    Katwin2013 Posts: 23 Member
    We need to drink water I love those diet drinks but in a way we are just doing what we have always done and we do not learn healthier habits
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited May 2016
    elphie754 wrote: »

You are not being persecuted.

Diet soda CAN be a part of healthy eating. Unless you have a medical condition, there is nothing wrong with it.

You are stating that because YOU have a medical condition, diet soda is bad for everyone and should not be consumed. That is not true. I have a medical condition where I am allergic to certain foods, that does not mean that everyone else should avoid those foods as well.

Your opinion doesn't match with scientific fact. You can opinion all you want, but the science is not going to change. I could have an opinion that the earth revolves around the moon, but I would still be wrong because science shows it is not true.

People are stepping up and saying something because people can read the misinformation and believe it to be true. That is how all the diet myths get started and continue to be parroted.

I have not met one doctor, working with a ton of doctors, who has ever defended diet soda, and said it was good for you.

I answered a question.

Phosphoric acid causes corrosion. That is a scientific fact, not an opinion.

Either way, I gave my answer - I do think it is BAD for you - again, that is wonderful that you all don't. Continue drinking it, and enjoy!

By the way I only drink 1 diet soda a day, except maybe Saturdays....I drink over a gallon of water every day.

Moderation, moderation, moderation.
  • daniellek30
    Serah87 wrote: »

By the way I only drink 1 diet soda a day, except maybe Saturdays....I drink over a gallon of water every day.

Moderation, moderation, moderation.

That's great. That's why I also mentioned a treat to yourself with one is fine..

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    I drink Coke Zero because I love soda! I don't smoke, or gamble so I figure I can give myself leeway in this bad habit.
  • daniellek30
    edited May 2016
    Okay! You're right. I'm wrong! Again - if you'd all like to drink it, that's great! I answered the poster's question. And I'm moving on.

Have a great day everyone! :)

Also - I like you're username @mathiseasy
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member

I drink them all the time. I don't know why they would be bad if they don't have anything in them, but I read something about it and was curious.

That is the question that was asked. I'm really confused why i'm being persecuted for answering the question the same way everyone else would, with their opinion. She also asked if it made it harder to lose weight, and in my opinion it does. So i'm wrong, because of my opinion?

The fact that people have to DEFEND a drink, is an issue in itself. The fact that I have to now defend MYSELF is also an issue in a place that shouldn't be making me feel bad about my own opinions.

Also, I didn't say people who drink it are unhealthy - I said I think it's hypocritical to promote healthy and clean eating, and then to also promote diet soda.

I'm also very confused, and I feel like this should be a separate post - but you're putting me under fire, on a website that is supposed to be 'anti-judgement' for weight loss help. I feel more judgement come from this website by people who think that THEIR WAY IS CORRECT, when everyone's body is different.

If you all want to continue drinking diet soda, that is wonderful. Because I will continue on with my day, knowing that I didn't make anyone feel crappy about their opinion on a carbonated beverage. But thank you all for taking my opinion, and ripping it apart to try to make me feel like i'm in the wrong.

At the end of the day, the only healthy thing that you should be drinking is water. I've had my struggle with diet soda, and I kicked it - yay for me! - and now I drink water, and am currently hoping to try and curb my love for coffee (and reduce it down to not so much each day. Tough.)

If you all feel that diet soda is great for you, then that is great! I was always told that opinions are like you know whats, everyone has them! And they are entitled to them! But maybe instead of focusing on tearing people apart over a drink, you can focus on just answering a question with your opinion, and then moving on to the next person to help with their weight loss struggle.

This is why people keep responding to you. What makes you think that the ONLY healthy thing I should be drinking is water? Maybe I like to have a diet soda with my broccoli, steak, and potatoes. How is that not healthy?
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Okay! You're right. I'm wrong! Again - if you'd all like to drink it, that's great! I answered the poster's question. And I'm moving on.

Have a great day everyone! :)

Also - I like you're username @mathiseasy

Thank you!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Alluminati wrote: »

This is why people keep responding to you. What makes you think that the ONLY healthy thing I should be drinking is water? Maybe I like to have a diet soda with my broccoli, steak, and potatoes. How is that not healthy?

Because artificial. Obviously.
  • daniellek30
    edited May 2016
    Alluminati wrote: »

I think you hit it right on the head there bub. What makes you think. It's what I THINK.

Trust me, I use to drink soda ALL DAY, EVERY DAY! I feel better each day without it, I really do! (It was very hard for me to give it up!)

I also stated that treating yourself is fine, I just think it's better to drink water. Water is always better to drink.

I'm curious how many more times i'll have to say, great - drink your diet soda - this is my opinion!

On a lighter note, maybe i'll have steak tonight.