WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2016

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Pamela_June – We love to have everybody ("newbies") who wants to get to this site; to be able to do so. You need to ‘bookmark’ the page. To do so, click the ‘outline’ of the star; it will turn yellow. Then when you log into the MyFitnessPal page, hit the ‘gray’ star and it will have a drop-down that will list the latest 50+ Ladies site; and, you’ll be in. It will take you back to the last time you posted and you can read all the posts made since. To answer, go to the last page and down at the bottom you can answer. Make sure you are on the last page before you answer (or it might not been seen). One of the things a lot of us do, is open a word processing program and click on the double icon at the top right-hand corner that will appear once you have 2 programs open at the same time. Minimize both and read the posts made in MFP and then type your answers in the word processing program. You can go through the entire posts until you get to the last page. Then highlight what you have typed in the WP program over to the last box (yellow); then go back to your WP program and delete it without saving it. Then back to the MFP site, expand it and make any changes you want to. Then hit ‘post’. Once you put your post there, you cannot go back but as far as the posts that are on that page show. You will lose your post if you do, unless you have saved it by hitting the ‘post’ button. If you do that, you ‘can’ go back. If there are other posts you want to answer, then answer them in the WP program that you again have to open if you closed it. When you get ready to save the additional post, there is a black gear that will show up in your latest post (in the right-hand corner of the post you saved; which will drop down and it will give you an hour to ‘edit’ the post by copying the additional answers. Click on it and the background will turn yellow again, and you can add your additions to the end of it, then save post. It might take a few times to get used to doing this; but, it gives you the ability to answer each and every posts since your last one, that is the way you want to do it. If the instructions are not clear, please post for it to be ‘clarified’. I’m not the best at making things ‘clear’ but this is the way I do so. Or try to. LOL! On the last day of the month, barbiecat will post a link to take you to the 'next' month; and, you will have to follow it and then bookmark that page, too.

Well, my CT scan came by ‘normal’ … happy about that. Got an appointment to see my Neurologist Thursday and see what he wants me to do with my Dilantin … it showed up as being ‘low’ but the Neurologist before him had been trying to wean me off it because of the unpleasant ‘side effects’ of ‘hyperplasia’ of the gums. Something my dentist says would happen no matter what strength I am on, 25mg up to 250mg or more. I take other seizure meds, Lamictal, and even Geodon (which was given to me to act with the Seroquel I take for Bipolar Disorder to act like an anti-anxiety/anti-depressant). Right now, the dosage of a total of 200mg was what I was taking of the Dilantin. So I will call the psychiatrist to make sure the he knows I had a ‘seizure’ (bad enough to be taken to the ER by ambulance) to make sure that he does not want to adjust any of my meds from his end. It is hard on me to have 4 different MDs that treat my body in four different manners … unless they communicate about what they are doing and why. I really do not have to be hospitalized in order for all the medications to be ‘tweaked’. But, will do what my psychiatrist decides what is best. I know that he will inform the others why he might have changed the dosages and why. I’m on another 6-month driving restriction so that means that ‘if’ I have an appointment of any type in Albany, DH will have to take me in and then BF will have to take me to her house to wait until he can pick me up when he stops working near 5:00pm. Thankfully her GS will not be there (hopefully); he got arrested last Monday for ‘shoplifting’. He has called everybody and nobody will post the $400 ‘cash’ bond for him. His Arraignment is today, BF is going; but, if the judge says a ‘bond’ must be posted … she will leave him there so that he can ‘think’ about what he did and why he is where he is. Of course, ‘he says it is always someone else’s doings that got him there in the first place’. No GS, YOU are the one who made the stupid decision to either do it or go along with the person who did. Got BF’s TV up and running so that she can turn it on and get all the channels she has been paying for. They programed the remote that had been upstairs to this TV; but, now the other one won’t work, because GS threw it across the room and broke it. I told her to ask for another and when she gets it I will call DirecTV and get it set up so she can watch TV in her bedroom. She ‘thinks’ I am a ‘genius’ … LOL! I won’t tell her any different. RITFLMAO!!!

This weekend was a ‘trip’ keeping our DMGD while her parents and younger sister went to the beach. What a ‘sneaky’ one. I’m not sure that I will ever agree to keep her (watching over her). She wanted to stay down at her house on Saturday night; but, did not make it clear that her ‘male’ cousin would be staying, too. When we woke up Sunday AM and his truck was parked in the driveway; I was furious because I really did not know who was down there. I walked down and banged on the door and she finally came to it. I turned towards it and said, ‘do you care to explain’. She told me it was ‘his’ truck; but, was standing in the doorway so as not to let me come in. Of course, I raised my eyebrows. She was supposed to have been picked up by one of DDnL#1’s friends and I questioned that. She said, ‘… and she did’! Later on, she was sitting outside and I got DH to stop and let me out. When I walked past the pool this friend of her mother’s and her child were ‘in the pool’ but I went over to granddaughter and told her that ‘we were not happy that she did not say cousin was staying with her’. She then said, “Well I told Papa and he said ‘ok’ …’! Another ‘white lie’. Raised my eyebrows again and stomped off; but, not until I told her that she owed her Mother an apology for saying “Sal man” instead of “sa mom’. She denied doing that. I said, that is the reason your mother got mad and slapped at you. She said, ‘she didn’t’. “OK, then … don’t do it; but, you embarrassed her … put me in a ‘bad light’ because you said “I’m only doing what my Nana does to me!” Well, that made it worse. I stomped off; came home and asked Louis about it. He did not hear her tell him that ‘cousin’ was going to stay; and she ‘did’ get into trouble with her Mother for correcting her. Apparently, she decided to call her Daddy upset about what I had done. About 2 hours later he called and DH picked up the phone. DH said it was a ‘miscommunication’; but, he could understand why I went and talked to her. We did not know it was the ‘cousin’ who had stayed. We knew that it was not the friend; because her ‘soon-to-be’ ‘ex-husband’ would not have let her use his white truck either. That she had wanted to stay in her bed; but, nothing about ‘cousin’ staying. Heck, if cousin was coming over, then they could have ‘visited’ as long as they wanted; but, on our swing on the deck; even her boyfriend could have come over under the same circumstances … and I had been correct in telling her she owed her Mother an apology for her actions on Thursday night when they came down for telling us ‘what the rules were for staying home’. DOS said that she was supposed to come down and apologize … she hasn’t so far; but, like I said, DH told him it was just a case of ‘miscommunication’. I wanted to ‘jerk a knot’ in her … more so because she was not ‘forthcoming’ with us. GGGrrrrr. Next time, they can get the friend to spend the night with her (along with her own kids). Was I wrong? I don’t ‘think’ so.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Sorry to chatter on when there are worse problems in the world. We have spent a huge amount of money on this cruise and I hope he is not going to take the pleasure out of it. :*

Love to all. Heather UK

Heather, you are welcome to talk about the things that affect your life. No apology is needed. There are always worse problems somewhere in the world, but we each have to deal with the ones that affect us. This group seems is brilliant at helping us with our everyday worries. (((HUGS))) :heart:
  • Clairblue2
    Clairblue2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good day, ladies. Haven't been on here for awhile. You are all so good about getting online bright & early in the day. I'm not a morning person & don't get on until after I've had my coffee & have awakened enough to be coherent (I hope). Well, I got on the scale this morning & was very happy to see that I'm down 10 lbs! Finally hit double digits. All the hard work is paying off & my clothes are becoming more loose around my waist & hips. Woo-hoo!

Here in Wisconsin we've been experiencing very cool weather. My poor bedding plants have been sitting in trays in the garage on & off for a couple weeks now. Each time I think it's OK to plant them, we get yet another frost warning & back they go into the garage. They are going to have long roots when they're removed from the tiny containers. Hope they will be OK.

HeatherUK, I feel your pain. Our son experiences great anxiety about flying. He does have to fly occasionally for work & its always a traumatic event for him.

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Good morning, all! I'm feeling more energetic today. I have not missed a workout with my knee. I've just been taking it easy, not jumping or running, and I've cut way back on the walking. I haven't been posting the actual workout, but I think I will today.

We did this through two times, 20 reps each time.

Lat pull down, 50 lbs
    Curls with pulley, 50 lbs
    2 min cardio
    Back/ab machine both ways, 50 lbs forward, 60 lbs back
    2 min cardio
    Leg press, 45 lbs on each side
    Knee raises with assisted pull-up machine, 60 lbs
    2 min cardio
    Leg extension/curls (both ways), 30 lbs (I usually do more but I though this one might hurt my knee so I went light)
    2 min cardio
    Seated row, 50 lbs
    Chest press with smith machine, 7.5 lbs on each side of the bar.
    2 min cardio

Then we did abs:
    1 min plank
    30 seconds crunches
    5 push-ups
    20 ankle touches
    Repeat for 3 rounds total

Now I'm home for a little rest before chores. I'm enjoying the house to myself. DH has a dentist apt. I don't usually reward myself with food or drink, but I had a $5.00 gift card to the local coffee shop, so I stopped on the way home and got a vanilla coffee frappe. The calories have been logged as my snack for the day. It was delicious!

Now, since this post was all about me, thanks for listening and have a great day!

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Aw Heather, poor DH! But look at it this way: if he's going on a cruise to the High Arctic even though he dislikes boats, cold, crowds, being cooped up, and dressing formally, he must like being with you an awful lot! :flowerforyou: For his sake, I hope the cold stays within the tolerable range and nature shows her most generous face.

I'm trying to dig through my garden. Over the past couple years I've spent most of the summer in the US with my folks. Meanwhile, back home, grass and creeping weeds have encroached into my garden to the point where I need to put down a tarp and suffocate them. But before I do that I need to dig through it all and level out the humps where I've had raised beds.

The digging isn't too strenuous in itself. Under the grass and weeds, the soil is fairly loose because the whole area was dug up for a leach field six years ago. My problem is the weather. It's 41 degrees and windy, with occasional snow flurries! I don't mind cold and I don't mind windy, but when it starts snowing on me, I start to think it's a bit much. So I've been dashing out during sunny spells, digging furiously for an hour or so, then retreating indoors again. I'll get it finished eventually.

Joyce, I'm sorry you've had to make tough decisions about your Christmas celebrations. It can be a wrench letting go of traditions. Still, I agree with Heather. You can't be expected to "do Christmas" for the whole family forever, just because you've done it before. Families grow and evolve. Sooner or later they get too big (or complicated) for everyone to be together in one place. Maybe it's time to start letting your extended family know that your Christmas traditions need a reality check. (((((HUGS)))))

Sunny again. Must dash out and wield my trusty shovel!
    /Penny emoticon-object-026.gif
  • atitagain1958
    atitagain1958 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! My name is Nancy. I just joined MFP 2 days ago and would like to join your group here. I'm 57, live in a rural area in Michigan and have quite a few health problems. I have a lot of weight to lose. I won't be able to keep pace with all of you, you all sound quite active. If you know of a group that suits me better, please let me know.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,626 Member
    Options
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Clairblue2 - Down here in SW GA - while some people buy their plants to go outside about Easter, when it starts getting pretty; I don't ever go buy any plants to put out until the pecan trees start to put out their leaves. Otherwise, we are almost guaranteed to have a plant killing frost. Easter can early this year; but, the pecan trees had not started putting their leaves out, so I watched as people bought $100s and thought, do they really know what they are about to do? Of course, they were beautiful; but, I am not going to waste my money too soon. I say, you can't foot Mother Nature ... and she comes as a pecan tree down here. My Japanese Magnolia starts putting out blooms the first warm spell, then leaves; then they usually get frozen with that last freeze. But, they will usually bloom again, after the last frost has hit.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for your support.And for a clarification, I only 'loan' out my house for Christmas. It is a total pitch in dinner. My sister and I don't do much anymore except enjoy the grand kids and our nieces and nephews and siblings. My husband and all of the men get together and get our tables and chairs out, kids put on table cloths, we only use disposable silverware and glasses. The men all clean up after the meal and start the 2nd dishwasher. The 1st the younger set does when they are done cooking. They all just use our home. I do have to do more to get the home ready but they all know I am not Martha Stewart in my housekeeping and decorating. I have just always felt very obligated to have a Christmas in our home just like my Mom did. She had it in her house until it was bursting at it's seams. But now my house is doing the same. My sister and daughter's house both are way to small. They are both started homes 1000 sq ft or less. Mine is 2200 sq ft. But I am just not like some of you here that start cooking a week before for the meal.

Took my wonderful Lasix 2 hours ago and so far it hasn't worked on me. I was hoping by doing that I would be OK driving to my hair cut.

Joyce, Indiana
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! My name is Nancy. I just joined MFP 2 days ago and would like to join your group here. I'm 57, live in a rural area in Michigan and have quite a few health problems. I have a lot of weight to lose. I won't be able to keep pace with all of you, you all sound quite active. If you know of a group that suits me better, please let me know.

Welcome,Nancy! There is no better group than this thread. Just sayin'....

Bookmark us by clicking on the small gray star at the top right of the page. It will turn yellow. Then find us again by clicking on the slightly bigger star in the middle of the top. Chime in when you feel like saying something, and just read for motivation when you don't.

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,298 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Nancy - we are at all stages of fitness and weightloss. Some are fit and slim, some are fat and inactive. Most are in between. We are all in this together. You will fit right in. :D

Had a nice visit with,my friend. Lots of laughs. She is improving and hopes to turn up for next week's yoga, even if she has to sit on a chair with her leg up.

Big News Flash - my beetroot capsules have worked. My diastolic number was down 6 points. So I have put in another order from Amazon. It's the lowest bp it's been for years. So I think I must have that genetic thing where I can't convert nitrates.

Programme tonight on couples trying to lose weight together. I will feed back to you all. <3

Penny - Yes, he does love me very, very much, but I think he was more afraid of being left alone and perhaps feels he doesn't want me off the leash for two weeks. He's probably right about that. :blushing:

Love to all, Heather UK
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hello my friends. It’s a beautiful day here in Omaha. Our accreditation site visitors have gone, so things are getting back to normal at the college. Benny Beagle seems stable-ish for now although we had to increase his steroids, so the cushing’s is out of control again. But he is comfortable and perky, so I guess that’s good enough for now.

Pip: I’m sure Kirby is glad to have your support!

Beachy: welcome!

Alison: I have to agree with Chris on that one! “NO” is the best word in the entire English language…very liberating!

Carol: sounds like you too are being taken advantage of. I would write a letter to the denominational administration (whatever and where ever it may be) to complain about the pastor’s behavior. I do hope you don’t live in a “right to work” state where you can be fired for no reason at all.

Miriam: sharing your story was so supportive!

Heather your cruise sounds delightful and I’m sure you and Penny will get on just fine! You will be surprised about the cruise…not “clubbable” at all. People have lots of options and can do whatever they want.

Becca; sounds delish!

Lenora: do you have to wean off the Dilantin? Glad the CT result was good.

Ann: fingers crossed!

\Joyce: too bad about the Christmas celebration. I’m not sure what we will do this year; DD#1 does not want to be invited to family events anymore because she can’t take the pressure of having to be on time. Seems like these great celebrations are always an issue, doesn’t it?

Nancy: welcome aboard. Don’t worry about keeping up with all of us! Just chime in when you can so we can get to know you! This is the best board in the house!

Well I suppose I should get some work done! Take care everyone~ meg from Omaha

• pipcd34
    Options
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon all! Welcome Newbies! Nancy in MI- Some of the ladies on here are retired, some still working part time/full time, like Heather said " some are fit and slim, others fat and inactive" LOL! I am fat (though I refer to myself as curvy) and have an active job (childcare provider) but am at a place where all food seems to want to take up residence somewhere on my body so I need to get MORE active than what my daily activity currently is at. I am also a Michigan girl. Living in Grand Haven. Where abouts are you from? Be as specific as you want; (U.P. Northern, Southern, Niles, Owasso...)
    I really think you will like this group. Supportive and will hold you accountable and try to keep you on the "straight and narrow"

Started my day out today (5:30am) removing a tick from a three year old's head! Ick! Thank God that was the low point in my day! It got better! B)
  • mrspaws91
    mrspaws91 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi all - I'm new here. I'm 51 years old, have lost 28 pounds since January and have another 46 to go.

My family and I have been living in western Colorado since 2013, when my husband changed careers. We love the climate and all the opportunities to get outside and be active. Before we moved here we lived in Minnesota.

We have 5 children still at home, one in college and our oldest just graduated college this month.
    I am fortunate to be able to stay home and homeschool our children.

I am excited to join you and am looking forward to getting to know you all through these pages.
  • suemcmurry
    suemcmurry Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Good day to all! I am new to this thread. A little bit about me:

In the Rockin 90's I was an aerobic instructor (who wasn't!! LOL). Life was fun! Then came divorce....ok, whatever. Met another guy, got married (2 girls to me, 2 boys to him) and life got busy, busy, busy. Lots of blah, blah, blah in the meantime.

Fast forward to current times.....

I broke my humerous in January (Happy Birthday to ME...NOT!!!). Still working out the bugs (meaning aches, pains, and flexibility), and it IS getting and feeling better. Started working out again, within reason, and not trying to overdue the weights. So far so good..... :)

The crux to all this: we just renovated the main floor of my house and it looks FAB-U-LOUS! But we have this cabinet that has mirrored doors. When I see my reflection I look OLD and OVERWEIGHT....and I am only 54!!!! What, Where, When did this happen????? I suppose life took over and I never noticed.

I lost a bunch of weight 2.5 years ago so it's not like I don't know how to do this! I was down to a size 6! I was elated! But, sigh, here I am...... :'(

I don't now what I am looking for, but maybe just unloading a little bit. Thanks to all for listening and perhaps reading this. Everyone have an AWESOME day and enjoy the sun!!! XOXOXOXO
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Welcome to the newbies – we are a busy bunch with folks in almost every time zone – so someone is around all the time! We vent, ramble on, share, cry, support, laugh, just do the things that girl friends do, the more often you visit the easier it is to get to know us, and keep up with all the comments… but do what works for you!

So I have had a small blackberry bush in my yard for years, FINALLY this winter I tended it, cut back what needed to be cut back and corralled it in a cage of cattle fencing I’ve been watching it so went out today and some of the “best” berries were missing!!! I left to get a bowl and pick and as I came back I was eye to eye with a blue Jay- LOL he squawked at me and I squawked back – not what he expected and out of there he went!!! I picked a custard cup of berries for lunch and then had to find something to cover the bush… well I should have bird netting, but necessity is the mother of invention so I covered it with a sheer green shimmery fabric I had bought to cover a table for a tea many a year ago… It looks pretty funny!

Anne – hope rest and ice take care of your shoulder.

Joyce - I start worrying about the holidays really early too, and sometimes people tell me to chill it will work out, and I think they are nuts… so knowing that - I am glad you have looked at this and are reserving the place and with the addition of the unsavory in/out -laws I think some extra decorating is a great idea, some area rugs and a pre-lite fake tree, even small - I bet you could find those at a yard sale this summer - and without ornaments on the tree, could you hang or place the stockings on it? The other thought though in conflict with my own MO is there is 6 months until Christmas and this gal has a bad track record already, she could be a no show out of the picture by then.

Lisa – good idea to look and your iron needs

Heather – sending calming thoughts to DH

Lenore – So everytime you write about BF I double take – as I am sure you mean best friend, but my mind translates it to boy friend – and as boy friend it adds a level of intrigue ie: DH picking you up at BF…. You get what I am trying to say… LOL

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options
    Oh - I was thinking about Sylvia --- any one heard from her?

Kim
  • pipcd34
    Options