WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2016

Options

Replies

• tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    CJ your not going depress anyone for venting. I am glad your friend was so understanding. That must be a relief. It is always hard to have to cut someone out of your life especially if you wanted it to work so badly. I know how that feels. You will get back on track. Don't beat yourself up. We all fall of the good eating wagon. Hugs to you.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    They are calling for rain to move in overnight and for the next 5 days so today was a last gasp run to get all the veggies, flowers and shrubs into the ground before it becomes mud again.

I bought 2 really cute mountain hydrandas and they are already blooming. They are supposed to bloom all summer. The soil where I live is not really soil at all. Wet bricks is exactly what it looks like and feels like. There is no way to recover it so I just dug it out and put in new soil, then plant. Its called Tiny Tuff Stuff and never needs trimming to stay at a petite 2 feet tall max.
    tdwr5f2c7l2j.jpg
    Now if I can only look so cute and petite again. :D

Between the flowers and the veggies it was a long day digging and hauling away the wet brick soil. I still have two Dwarf Blue fir trees to plant but they will have to wait until next week sometime after the soil drys out.

Hope your day was good and someone brought a smile to your face today. <3

Charleen in Colorado (May showers will eventually bring June flowers - that's the way of it here)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,592 Member
    Options
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,638 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note - I was reading a recipe and saw "shortening" and thought of Heather's comment - so googled shortening in UK and this is what I got :

Many people in the UK are confused by the term "Shortening" and don't think it is available in the UK. In fact, in the UK shortening is available under brand names such as Cookeen, Trex, White Flora, etc.

In France, the predominate brand, which is called "Végétaline", is made from hydrogenated coconut oil.

Marcelyn - I love the prom story!!!

Kim in N. Cal
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    Coming on here and reading all the posts certainly encourages me not to binge!
    I have had rods put in my back and both knees replaced due to arthritis so i hear where you are coming from with joint pain. Recently have developed pain in my right hip. Losing 20+ pounds has already helped to relieve some if the diacomfort.
    Finished my 2 12 hr day shifts. Now onto 3 12 hr night shifts starting tomorrow.
    Hopefully i can get a bit of yard work done prior to work!
    How is your water intake today?

Karen from BC
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Anne from Wisconsin:
    ((((hugs))))) I have a journal as well, and for me there are moments I am stressed I write it down and not let it have a hold on me. It helps. It has also helped me to stay in the moment, be present. All that is important is blessed things I am writing down. It also has a calming affect to just write, kind of like coloring (which I do as well...I have the large box of crayons!)

This phrase helps me some days:

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
    Maybe its unbecoming everything that isn't you
    so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

For me it shed a lot of light on how I was raised, (by Betty Crocker herself) and expectations of being a mother. I have let go of many things (all the baking, and complicated meals) and learned to embrace simplicity.

I have embraced the joys of living a imperfect lifestyle and being perfect at it. Imperfectly perfect....thats me to a T:-)
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    CJ~ I have been cutting and resewing my sister in and out of my life for years. I am facing the fact that I am so low on her priority list that I don't even rank high enough for a call back (when I call and leave a message for her). I have normal expectations but I guess I ask too much of her. So she stopped communication with me, and so then she doesn't have to mentally be relied upon to do anything. Meanwhile my older sister and I are left with what to do with all our emotional loss about the situation. It's difficult when you pour emotions into a relationship and get nothing back. The loss is akin to a death in the family, so my sister and I mourn our sister. I do have people that are sisterly, and that helps.

Toxic relationships are hard to sever but for your own health sometimes need to be done. I had a neighbor once that was toxic...and I put so much effort into trying to make it work that I was physically drained. Finally someone told me to stop letting her have such power over me. That I was using all my power being negative, instead of using it for positive things. You are in the drivers seat regarding who you have in your life to keep you focused on good things. I hope you find peace with this, you deserve it. ((((hugs)))

Becca
    Oregon
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Probably the longest post in my life ... Definitely do not have to read it ... I'm just totally 'scattered' today, have been all week long. I am 'really' scattered now ... so I am sure that I have jumped around and totally gone off-base; and, probably repeated myself. Please say some prayers for me about this entire week and what-all has been happening to me. Hopefully, it will resolve itself. Have my physical on Friday.

Miriam – When I have had to get pants taken in (too big or whatever) usually the first place that it taken out in in the crotch inside seam of leg and usually a tuck over each hip. I had some pants that were ‘taken in’ and before I got around to wearing all of the pairs; I lost some more; they got to the point that they really could not be taken in without looking like they had been altered. Bought some clothes to last for the summer with a lot of interchanging tops and bottoms.

Karen in Virginia – I got onto some really ‘snarky’ threads before I found this one. They’d start off like a ‘game’ … where to you come from – then each person got ‘snarkier’ and ‘snarkier’ and more on the ‘sexual’ side and I don’t know how MFP tolerates this. I got off and unclicked the star on the thing. I would have reported a few of them. I don’t think that FB would tolerate some of this dirt; or at least they ‘say’ they don’t. I don’t have an account anymore, so I don’t really care. My DDnL#1 ‘friends’ everybody and follows just about everything that comes her way. I don’t think she understands the concept of privacy … MMMMmmmmm, both my sisters have ‘deleted’ her from her friend connection. My oldest dear sister called her up and RAILED her about posting some of the things; and, they were showing up on ‘her’ friends’ walls. I don’t like that they won’t ‘delete’ your account fully if you just ‘deactivate’ your account; and, supposedly, it is still ‘up’ so that others can still find you. When I got off FB – I did not want anybody to ‘find me’. So I went in and ‘unfriended’ everybody, delete (highlighted and deleted) as much of my ‘stuff’ as I could, then I ‘closed’ the account. I don’t miss it. I’d rather chat with you ladies.

Chris in MA – Great NSV – on the loss of sizes/inches in clothes. Get ‘em outta the house; and, you won’t slip (probably). I tried on a pair of jeans and they swallowed me. Got rid of them, or have them ‘in car’ to donate. I did not change in weight; but, I did in % and inches. One-and-a-half pounds of ‘muscle’ gained.

Ladies – I have had one HELL of a week … seems like it has ‘lasted’ forever and it’s only been part of a week. Monday, since I still did not have a ‘rental car’ to use (DH ‘thought’ we could get away without having to rent one). Well, Monday … I had to go to the MD (diet and GP), so I stayed from weigh-in time through the GP appointment, then I called my DBF to come pick me up, run some errands and go to her condo to stay until DH could come pick me up. I am about to do some ‘major’ venting (probably borders of B*******!!!!!). She is good about letting me stay there and wait until DH stops his job and can come get me. I was prepared for a nice quiet afternoon. Since she was taking me on errands during her lunch time. She basically called the shots. Got into her car as guy got out of the passenger seat into the back. I’m there thinking to myself. Gee, what ‘young bum’ has she ‘picked up off the street’. At first glance, he did not look familiar … got in the car, turned slightly to the left and saw this ‘legs and arms’ slumped in the back seat. I looked at her and finally she asked ‘XXX’, aren’t you going to speak to “Miss Lenora?” He mumbled and I realized, ‘oh *kitten*, this is her GS (one she has raised practically since he was a young toddler). Thinking to myself … WHAT have you gotten ‘into’? She said, ‘oh we’re going to drop him off’ (as she referred to it – anywhere he wants to go). I am thinking … she keeps telling me that ‘he is not back at her house’. I don’t ‘think’ so. But … So I can't get

So we run a few errands as he is ‘passed out’ in the back seat of the car. Literally! You could have dragged his limp body out of the door and laid him on the ground, he’d never have known it. Well, we ‘finally’ found the ankle support I needed at the Prosthetic place in downtown. It was taking a while and she came in – steaming (not at me, but – him). She asked how long it would take and I told her not long, surely. She went out and got back in the car, got out again, and came in and told me ‘it’ll only take 5 minutes to ‘run him down to his friends a/k/a “The Hood” … bad section of town. Now, she is driving a Beemer, dressed up. I’d have put his @$$ out and told him to ‘walk’ there! BUT, she took him and I finished my transaction. By the time she returns … she is HOT!

I casually looked over at her and asked, ‘WHY do you CONTINUE to let him in your house, especially in that condition?’ Of course, she ‘said’ he had not been staying at her house. While 'frankly I don't give a damn' is how I feel, I am concerned about her and her safety. Sorry after this week, I am beginning to think (well I know) she is a ‘classic’ class of being an ‘enabler’. She throws him out, he comes back (if not to stay, then to dump his $#*T at her house. This kid has been a problem since his early teens. BUT, back to where she ‘says’ … ‘oh he isn’t staying with me’ …. We go by a drive-thru and get something and she leaves me at her place. During the middle of the afternoon, I am in her living room, sitting in a rocker, reading and occasionally watching TV when suddenly the door (glass door) blooms OPEN! In walks this ‘kid’ that is ‘supposed’ to be the GS and another boy … they walk in, as they are walking through the room, he says, ‘this is “X”, this is “Miss Lenora” and they walk out the patio door. I’m thinking … OK, his clothes are in the middle of the floor in her office (off the living room). I get up and rearrange my seating area, and they walk back in. First thing I had noticed when getting there was his camera – on other chair; since I noticed his initials on it … I knew it was his. He spent 30+ minutes in there unpacking, repacking, unpacking, repacking his ‘stuff’ and then he started following the wires from the plug-in to the end of them. He is fidgeting and the other boy keeps looking over his shoulder at me.

I’m NOT scared of her GS; but, this is a guy that I have never seen with him (and he ‘supposedly’ has just shown up). However ... by the time I stopped 'screaming' (if I had not recognized him) the neighbors 'might' have called them. I sure hope she has good insulation (sound). I know I've been 'caught in the car' with them or her (on the phone with her ... on speaker phone). I'm sorry, but I want to scream, 'stop the world, I want to stop being slung by its tail'. Louder and one octave higher (both of them).

I had seen him drive up in her car, and I ‘knew’ that she had given him her key to keep him from making a ‘huge’ scene at work. They parked in the slot in front of the office, not the front door. So when I looked up I saw the car turn in; figured she was home. When they left I called her and said that Ross had been there. She was ‘surprised’. He knows she doesn’t want him in her house; certainly does not dragging someone ‘else’ inside. She said, ‘oh that’s ok, it is probably “X”. Then she asked if GS had been upstairs. No, he got as far as the landing, turned around, and saw the camera. He grabbed it and held it up and said, “YEEEEESSSS, as he went back into her office.” I figured, they’d leave … She was ‘ok’ with the fact that he had been there, said that he ‘rifles’ through things when he is looking for things such as $$ or things to hock. I told her that he had not gone upstairs. I’m just concerned that she had said, ‘they had had a knock-down drag-out that morning and he had thrown things and broken the remote control’. One day, he is going to NOT stop there to get his way for $$. When she asked what the other guy looked like; then asked if he was 'big' and said, 'big, blondish hair, dumb looking guy'. She asked, 'his hair is not dark'? NO ... 'Damn it ... that isn't the one she knows'.

DH and DOS come to get me shortly after 5:00pm and I am a tea-totaling basket of nerves. So I get in the truck and tell DH that I have an appointment on Wednesday … and I really wasn’t looking for any other encounters. DH was upset that she had put me into this situation. I told him that she 'claimed' to be 'surprised' that he even stopped by, he knew I was going to be there. I told her that is probably 'why' he came, he knew I would not raise any can, like she would, and figured I would not have called her about it ... which I did not do until he left.

Again, with 'excuses'. As someone who grew up around an attorney's office and working in one my entire career; I know what drug and alcohol abuse does to people. You just cannot save every puppy in the pound. Got to choose your battles and fight them as you get to them. She's tried everything; but, when she is 'strong' enough to lock him out of the house, he'll mess up the door trying to get in. Her sisters ... will NOT allow him back at their houses, his Dad's wife won't even allow him to 'darken' their doors. They have a 12-year-old daughter and with is condition ... I can understand it. BF holds out that he will finally 'see the light' and 'turn himself around'. I don't think so at this point. The ADHD he is living with gives him a disadvantage as it begins with. He will stay off it to take the piss test for Probation, and he will 'sell' his medication for $$ to get 'high' on.

On Tuesday, for the 2nd day – I ask her to ‘please’ print out and bring out tax return to the office so I could take it to the bank. Again, ‘oh, I will remember’. So on Wednesday, go in – sit at the dentist office which is just right next door for nearly an hour reading after my appointment (and I bite, well, chomp down on his finger) as he is putting in my night guard. He had asked about DH and of course, had my eyes shut and said, 'he's still short, he'll still bald, and he'll still painting ... he'll probably do that until they find him in the bushes with the brush going up and down. He got silent, and I pop my eyes open. This man is over 6'5 (easily), balding, and has a twisted sense of humor. Told me that 'if' I chomped down on his finger again, he would just send me home without adjusting it. So I started to 'act right'. I finally walk over to her office – she, co-worker, and I go to have lunch. Then she takes me to her house. I had been a little ‘upset’ with her to NOT doing what she promised she’d do … and then having GS walk in on me. I told her, that IF I had not seen him on Monday AM; and, ‘if’ I had had a conceived-carry permit; we might have had a REAL mess on our hands. NOT expecting him like that … I would have ‘shot first, asked questions later’. I did not ‘appreciate’ the position she put me in (or that GS had put me in).

Wednesday, go back and 'again' she tells me ... 'oh I forgot' ... I will bring it in and make sure I have it with me at lunch and take it to the bank myself'. At this point, I have just about lost it with her. How long would it take, couldn't take long. We will come and get it ... but got to get it OFF the printer and into her hands.

So on Sunday night, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of this week I have begs my BF to please make sure she gets it for me, DH is beginning to stand on his last nerve. "Don't piss on me, and tell me it is raining." Just do the short, little simple task and I won't get my panties up my @$$.

When she did not bring it on Friday (after had told me on Thursday (at some point that she'd get it at lunch and take it to the bank ... ladies ... I know this is rambling ... Forgive me; can't stay 'on task' ... Not sure that I can actually do this 'stay at home' and 'try to do something'. This weekend, at some point, I am going to have DH take me into town so I can buy a canvas to start my 'time alone without a car'. DH does not want me in the pool, walking around in the yard ... until I am feeling better and more steady on my feet.

I don’t really remember what all transpired on Thursday … but, it was bad. For the 4th time, I go by and ask her please remember to print it out, ... Dh is beginning to 'chomp at the bit' - she's NOT going to get it in a timely fashion. I'm NOT going to say another word about it - because 'if' I do, I will probably 'lose' it and give her a piece of my mind ... that would not be pretty either. I told him - since he wants it so bad ... then HE needs to call her; I am not going in and be told she forgot it or she will bring it to us, take it to the bank, da-do-doo-doo. I looked at her and she seemed 'rested'. I got that (somewhat) smug look across her face (she is posturing to be the 'big dog' and I'm not interested in planning games about it. When she told me that she would probably 'try' to finish out taxes for last year .. I just 'rolled my eyes'. I've been hearing that for 2 months now. In one ear, out the other. By then, I had a rental car (had gotten it on Wednesday). DH had decided that ‘living’ out in the country and not have means for transportation was ‘getting to him, more than me’. So, after the 3rd promise of bringing the paperwork in with her … she had put a big sticky on her pocketbook and taped it on, ‘Print out return and bring it back to office’. I get there, walk in, and ‘dough pop’ forehead, ‘oh *kitten*, I’m sorry … I forgot it again’. I walked out and said ‘well, do you want to have lunch again this week while I am in town’. Made appointment to ‘meet her’ at her favorite restaurant. So I drive to the bank, give the woman the stuff I had so far and explained that BF had just not been able to get around to doing it. She looked at me, I looked at her … what I remember next was her asking me, ‘are you ok, you don’t look so ….’! Last thing I remember before the EMTs had me on their gurney and were talking to me. They were asking questions about what I remembered, so on and so forth. I am adamant about NOT having a seizure.

Actually when she tells me that GS would not be 'out to her condo'. I looked at her as if to say, 'yeah right'. Not this week anyway ... guess where he is ... DUH! So he goes out to Walmart, he was supposed to come pick her up at 6:30pm, 8:30 rolled around and she 'sort of' figured out where he'd be ... so she calls the jail and asks if he is there. Sure enough he gets picked up at Walmart 'shoplifting' and is locked up for it. Asked what the bond was, and it is only $400. She goes home and he is calling, 'Grandmamma - I need to get out of her'. No, you are exactly where you need to be, locked up so that you won't be 'doing stupid things'; and, told him that maybe he could get the 'thugs' he has been hanging with to pool their money and post him out themselves.

I ‘turned’ left into the driveway and hit the storm sewer curb part of driveway, it had been a little rough and bumpy. At that point … I was so ‘confused’ out what was going on, that I argued with the guy and asked him, ‘how do you even know that I have a seizure disorder’? (Of course, thinking to myself – OH $#*T … our car insurance is going to be cancelled or hiked up so high we will have to change it’. Let me back up a second … when I had gone to friend’s office, I had on a ‘new’ top; since it was macramé-ed at the top; I figured, ‘what the hell … I just won’t wear a bra today’. FIRST thing she asked when I came in was, ‘Lenora, do you have on a bra today”? I look down and say, ‘well, no – is it that noticeable’? “Oh yeah, it is.” Of course, she wears a bra all the time. I rarely wear one. HATE THEM! Of course, that really 'upset' me. She knew I was upset ... she had work to do, and I needed to run my errands. I asked her 5x from Sunday night until Thursday night to please bring them to me.

So I am talking to the EMT; and getting more upset about ‘what happened’ and ‘why’ … to answer my question, he picks up my Med Alert necklace and said, ‘we got it from here, and you are also allergic to latex, penicillin, etc., … Husband’s been called … will meet us wherever you tell us to go. Mmm, no won’t go there. So I get to the ER (again, in a week) and I am totally disoriented. DH comes in to see me, he talks to the ER MD and tells him ‘I seem to be okay’ and he should be called … if there is a change or I need to be picked up. Well, he comes to get me and I don’t want to go to BF’s place and told him that I’d SIT IN THE DAMN TRUCK before I went back … I wasn’t going to put myself back into the position and ‘if’ I went back … I was afraid I’d say something that might be taken incorrectly and ‘hurt the 25+ year relationship’.

I had the worst nightmares/night tremors/night sweats … whatever it was – I do NOT want to go back there again. I felt like I was burning up! Like running through an earthquake scene on a movie. DH was ‘finally’ able to get me calm enough to fall asleep. Slept hard until AM. Today, I have been totally ‘unconnected’. I get up and look in the mirror … then look down … my only thought was ‘damn I sure look like my oldest sister’ … but everybody tells me that I ‘look exactly like my Mother’. Well really long, long story – short! I feel a ‘little’ better; but, it is obvious that I have been ‘steam-roller’ run over! Several times.

Oh, and we went out to eat at the Mexican Restaurant. I ate about ½ of a taco salad.
    Well, he is the windy version of “As the World Turns” – monthly edition. So, I am NOW on a 6-month driving restriction. Can you say ‘…? DH is thrilled about it’. He understands it is necessary; but it does come full of strategic planning because of it. So, I guess Monday I need to call my GP; and ask if my ‘physical’ on Friday can be my ‘follow-up’. Gee, Magee

I’m sorry, but, I needed to type it out … I want to feel better and want to get back into a ‘routine’ … This jaggedness is driving me crazy. So, I probably won’t be allowed to get in the pool, or even walk around the property without DH being with me. BOO-HOO! At least, it will give me focus on straightening out all the cabinets, drawers, etc. But, I’d really ‘like’ to think that I could have done it without being chained to the floor.
    I know this is ‘random’ … but, like I said, I needed to get it out. I’m sure there are 100s of typos; but, I don’t have the strength to proof it. Just pray that this gets straightened out. Diagnosis was drop in Dilantin level that was not ‘therapeutic’. Gave me 2 pills to take last night at 6:00pm.

I am beginning to 'feel' like the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Permanently 'stuck' in position of the grand pupa.

Lenora, with Caterpillar tractor tracks up my back in Georgia (or somewhere …)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    This evening we're at a beachfront hotel at Newport Oregon. We had dinner at Mo's Annex on the waterfront. Afterward DD, the kids, dog & I went for a walk on the beach. We all had fun. Now we're holed up in our different rooms resting up for tomorrow's adventures. We're going to the Oregon Coast Acquarium. Adterward DD is going to spend a night with her best friend from school days & we're heading home. I'm having a great time with her and with the kids.❤️❤️❤️❤️
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Lenora, Prayers; you got it. Praying things get way better for you really quickly.
    <3
    Larisa
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    DJ, I understand about removing toxic people. I have had to do that and then after some of my lessons in Sunday school it made me feel real bad about it and wondering if I should try to contact her. The thing is I don't even love the woman. She is my husbands sister but in that family people don't see each other at all for months or years at a time and you don't build any relationships. And now that my MIL is dead, we do't see them at all. When MIL was alive we always took her to the funeral home when one of her many siblings (12) died. But now I doubt we will do that anymore. We probably won't even be notified unless I just happen to see it in the paper.

marcylyhn, a prom is a unique first date. Have fun.

Becca, my Dad was in WW2 like many of you here. He was so very proud of what he gave to the cause. He always wanted to be a pilot but found out he was color blind so that was out. So he was stationed in Guam and his job was to repair the planes and keep them in tip top shape. He was very proud of what he did. He also saw some terrible things as those planes came in, he had nightmares until he died about his time in Guam. He loved music, especially patriotic music. Him and I would go to every patriotic concert we could go to. He, well me to, loved it that we could stand up for every single branch when they played the different songs at the ends of the concert. We have had some one in our family in every branch of the military. One time around Memorial Day my niece, sister's daughter who thinks she is the expert on everything, put a statement on face book that her grandpa was in the military but wanted to be a conscitentious (SP?) objector because he was a minister but his family wouldn't let him. Oh I landed into her. I don't think I have ever been so mad. I told her what a patriotic man my father was and that I was sorry that her Mother never saw that and explained it to her. one year my brother took the time, money and trouble to look up his record and find every medal he had earned, and purchased a properly folded flag and made a shadow box and gave ti to Mom for a gift. She was so proud of that. m dad served with pride.

My youngest brother was a lifer in the Navy. He was on one of the nuclear subs and to this day still can not tell even his wife some of the things they did and went. He was one tough Dad when he would come home. He had 2 young boys and he expected them to go along with the strict discipline the Navy had. Plus, Mom was Mom and dAd for 4 months and then Dad would come home and then leave again. They grew up to be very confused young men. I know that not all children of military families grow up that way but with their chemical make up they did. But the Navy continues to care for them very well. Plus on a sub for as long as John was, he has a certain amount of hearing loss so he gets disability.

Lisa, how did the sale go???????

Well.........I went shopping today for more jeans. I went from my beautiful size 12 jeans to size 16. The brand I had before I did get some 16s but they are a misses and the thighs are tight. But I found another that I got a women's 16 and the thighs are very comfortable. It is surprising how difficult it is to find jeans. It was all capris, shorts, etc. But the good thing is the jeans were on nice sales. I will keep my size 12s hanging on the outside of my closet as inspiration. I was really uncomfortable in those jeans. I just didn't want to admit my failure. Also I know that my leg can get in the Escape. It isn't the lip on the door frame problem. It was the tight pants.

Joyce, eating crow in Indiana
  • CaliVictoria
    CaliVictoria Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am new to this thread, and am excited to have found it! I'm not sure if I'm posting right, but sure hope this shows up where its suppose to! Just a little introduction about me. I'm 57 years old and live in California. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes three weeks ago. I need to change my lifestyle and eating habits. Not only do I need to, but I want to as well. I'm tired of being tired. My hobbies are writing children's books. I published one in 2009 and have another in the works. I also like to collect miniatures, read, and play Facebook games. I know I know...I need to get off the couch and start moving! I do have an autoimmune illness that causes me a lot of pain. And I think I use that pain as an excuse not to exercise. When in reality, I can walk...even if its slow. I need to walk more. Anyway, just a little about me. Hope I haven't bored anyone. And hope I posted this in the right place. Looking forward to getting to know everyone! Vicky
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Michele wrote: [W]e're older and wiser. So many of the 20 and 30-somethings think they know it all

This reminds me of a wonderful line attributed to Oscar Wilde: I'm not young enough to know everything.

CJ - Sorry for all your woes with the family member. But hey, you wrote "Lots of personal depression punctuated by an incredible professional high. [...] I better stop before I depress you."

So don't stop! Tell us about the professional high!

Charleen - Those hydrangeas are gorgeous! Hard to tell from the picture exactly how tiny they are. I really admire alpine plants. Arctic plants, too, of course. They have such challenging growing conditions that they have to be "tiny tuff stuff".

Later on, when the top layer of the permafrost has thawed, all our flowering plants will hop to it like there's no tomorrow. Blossoms everywhere - except you have to get down on your hands and knees to see them. :laugh: They have evolved so many neat tricks to conserve what little warmth they get. Parabolic petals that focus sunlight where the seeds form. Stems and leaves with thick fuzz just like a woolly sweater. Growing in dense clusters like pillows so the wind just sweeps over them. Here's one of those.

y15ab3f8u7x1.jpg

The white threads lying on top of the flowers and over to one side are bits of reindeer fur. Reindeer have developed long hollow winter hairs for insulation. They need to keep warm too, but they shed some in the summer. The ground around the pillow of (fragrant!) blossoms gives you some idea of what we have for soil. Not much, in other words.

Lenora - I'm so sorry to read about your week. Bummer that you're on driving restriction again. And that you won't be allowed in the POOL! How frustrating that it should happen now, when it's finally getting warm enough for your favorite walking-in-the-pool exercise. Hope you feel better soon.

Vicky - Welcome! :flowerforyou: I have a few autoimmune issues too, and I've discovered that exercise reduces the pain. Obviously that may not be true in your case - autoimmune conditions can be so many different things - but you can always hope. Exercise and weight loss are definitely good against Type 2 diabetes. Best of luck! And be sure you c'mon back here and join in the fun.
    /Penny, not exactly at the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,271 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Lenora - Big ((((HUGS)))) coming out to you from across the pond. <3

CJ - I echo Penny - don't be shy about the professional accomplishment! Whenever I have to deal with difficult people I often think, what would my DDIL do? Then suddenly it seems a lot simpler. It's all about having clear boundaries and valuing yourself enough to expect and demand that other people treat you properly. Otherwise you very kindly and nicely put that distance between you. I would love to be able to always act in that way, but I am getting better at it. :D

Going to pot up our geraniums today. The garden is looking it's best with apple blossom, lilacs in flower and a backdrop of buttercups in the meadow behind. England at its best. <3
    Going to drag the dahlia out of storage and pot it up. Every year it looks completely dead and then it revives. :D

DH has just come back from getting the shopping and newspaper. He's made me a mug of coffee. If it weren't for the builders thumping next door, life would be perfect........for now.

Heather UK

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Husband just sent me a series of images from the motion-triggered webcam we have out at our summer place. It doesn't frame things: just captures the same frame every time. Here's what it saw:

2twrzcxbrw2e.png

At this time of year we have LOTS of hares around the house (in northern Norway). Luckily, they head for the hills before my garden starts to grow.

The amazing thing (to me) is that this image, taken at 4:19 this morning, went to my husband's emailbox, he downloaded it while sitting on a plane somewhere over the Russian–Mongolian border, forwarded to me, and I'm posting it here. Ain't technology a deal?

/Penny
    hare.png 672.3K
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,951 Member
    Options
    CSSJ09 wrote: »
    Dear all,
    I am so sorry to have been MIA. I have not had the emotional capacity to read, respond to and support you. It has been a bifurcated two weeks. Lots of personal depression punctuated by an incredible professional high.

I do want to say thank you for the wedding advice. I said to my friend that I was uncomfortable driving myself so late in rural areas on bad roads after a long evening and she agreed completely. She also said no gift necessary. They need nothing. Whew and thank you.

As for depression- I am having to completely cut someone out of my life again for my own protection. I thought I could renew a relationship with family member. No such luck. Long history of poor communication and lots of hurt. This person has an excuse for everything and blames everyone for everything. Toxic, toxic, toxic. It spilled into my eating and exercising this week and I am in such a deep hole over this.

I better stop before I depress you.

CJ

:)<3CJ,, The more you clear out toxic relationships and have the courage to say no to requests that you can't meet, the less depressed and stressed you will feel. Life deals out enough stuff to cope with that you have to get rid of things and people that you have the power to discard.

<3 Barbie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,951 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am new to this thread, and am excited to have found it! I'm not sure if I'm posting right, but sure hope this shows up where its suppose to! Just a little introduction about me. I'm 57 years old and live in California. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes three weeks ago. I need to change my lifestyle and eating habits. Not only do I need to, but I want to as well. I'm tired of being tired. My hobbies are writing children's books. I published one in 2009 and have another in the works. I also like to collect miniatures, read, and play Facebook games. I know I know...I need to get off the couch and start moving! I do have an autoimmune illness that causes me a lot of pain. And I think I use that pain as an excuse not to exercise. When in reality, I can walk...even if its slow. I need to walk more. Anyway, just a little about me. Hope I haven't bored anyone. And hope I posted this in the right place. Looking forward to getting to know everyone! Vicky

:)Vicky,, yes you posted just right...keep coming back...you'll find encouragement that will help you get out of your chair and get moving.

<3 Barbie
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,068 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    17761776 wrote: »
    Open fishing, will be below freezing !! Question if you fished would you in this cold, wet , windy weather? I would because of tradition, not all day n I would go n have a wonderful warm lovely breakfast. Hubby is a fisherman n no, he claims not good fishing. Have been warned to cover plants, happy spring! Gayle Minneapolis

I too covered last night. I actually had to repot some of my plants because they were water logged from four days of rain. We needed to send some of the moisture to Canada. My thermometer is at around 34 at 8:00 in the morning. The covers stay on for now. Think warm thoughts.

Marcelyn Happy for your daughter!

Becca agree with you about keeping your power. I often tell this to students especially the ones who get upset when they say someone is bothering them. I do not know what it is in with some people they get a charge out of getting a reaction out of someone. I call them the instigators. I just told this to a student your anger is just telling you something is wrong. Your reaction is not helping solve the problem. Unfortunately it makes it worse. (It also made it worse for everyone around her because she started screaming) Don't let them have your POWER!

Lenora prayers for a better week. You are still healing from your accident too. Take care!

Charleen and Penny love the flower pictures.

CJ No is sometimes my favorite word.

Went to friends concert last night with another set of friends. Particularly liked You Raise Me Up and Sounds of Silence.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Penny – I guess I might be able to get in the pool, if someone is around. We’re keeping DMGD this weekend. DH is going to take her to go visit boyfriend; parents said it was ‘ok’. His parents are going to be there. She did NOT want to go with them to the beach. At that age (15) I’d never give up going to the beach as a teenager. Too many lifeguards not to check them out. LOL! But, DH told them they should not ‘force’ her to go if she did not want to because then she’d make it unpleasant for them. We’re taking the granddaughters (3 of them) to the beach in late July some time. She hasn’t gone with us the past 2 years. That’s ok, we’ve had a lot of fun anyway.

CJ – I am beginning to wonder if my BF isn’t becoming toxic to me. I don’t agree with the way she is dealing with her GS; I’ve said so (part of the stresses of my last week). I’ve got to go for my physical on Friday … but, that is usually the day that DH only works a portion of the day. It'll take 1/2 the day; but, I'd rather that he go ahead and pick me up and bring me home when he comes. The following week I have several places to go. She might not be able to deal with me that Wednesday. I think she gets her hair done that day (or the following Wednesday). I am pretty pissed that she ‘lied’ (knowingly or not, doesn’t matter) about ‘taking the documentation’ to the bank that she ‘swore’ she’d do. Lady at the bank was supposed to call me when she brought them, and she didn't. DH is really getting pissed about it. GGGRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I told her that she has put me in a bad situation because of this. He wants me to call her again, and I refuse to do so. I'm not going to make him made over what she is or is not doing; but, I've told him that 'she still is my BF', too. I'd just want to 'scramble her in a hot pan'. Apparently, she doesn't realize what's important for the 2 of us; and, I basically told her that it was something we had talked over - it did not matter to me if she didn't agree. I don't agree with the way I got put into a situation that could have gone 'ugly'. I can only do just so much. She tells us this every April 15 … 'Oh, I will get to your ‘stuff’ next weekend', which never comes. We even got our stuff to her BEFORE the deadline, so that really pisses me off a lot. She finally got the 2014 taxes to us; and, extended the 2015 filing. I guess beggars can’t be choosey. She does do it for ‘free’ and knows all the ‘ins-and-outs’ to save us $$$. It is still frustrating to be ‘told’ something and then not do it, on time (or as promised). I guess she got a taste of it on Thursday, when I just did NOT show up for our lunch date. Very unlike me, made her scramble to find out what had occurred. Snicker, snicker, snicker! >:)>:):/:#:'(;)B)

Lenora