WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2016

Options

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Oh Carol you hit the nail on the head....I am steering clear and no other person has approached me about this at all today. I have decided to not talk to her about this----period end of sentence and so far it is working out. I have removed her from my personal email and I won't take her phone calls if she does happen to try to talk to me. I am disappointed and saddened by her lack of judgment but as my husband reminds me....I did not create this mess and I cannot undo it! Thanks for understanding so clearly.

I am going to the gym after work and I am eating a beautiful salad for lunch, getting back into the groove!

Karen from NY
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Pip, PCP stands for primary care physician in managed health care terms.

My new, too loose jeans really are TOO loose. I wore them to physical therapy and kept having to pull them up! I guess I will take the side seam in a bit so they fit better.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Miriam ~ Congrats on your loose fitting jeans!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Katla - Sending healing thoughts to your DGC. <3

Meg - You always knew she was cognitively challenged, so I guess this is just more evidence. It must be sad for you when you have done your very best by your daughters. I salute your bravery in even taking on the two sisters in the first place - I know I could not have done it. :flowerforyou: The only way to look at it is not to take it personally and maybe put your professional hat on when interacting with her. How is the baby doing? (I guess not a baby any more)

Karen from Virginia - I have been at maintenance for over 2 years now. Like you I lost and gained it all back and more before. This group has made all the difference to me. <3 I still log every day and do what feels sometimes like a ridiculous amount of exercise for a person of my age, 66. But it is my lifesaver. Unlike Barbie I am a person for whom food is at the centre of my life. I have learnt how to make better choices and most of the time that works. I have a supportive husband who is a demon exerciser himself and who loves vegetables, so that is a huge help. I am retired, so have lots of time to put myself first. I have huge admiration for those who can follow a healthy lifestyle and hold down a job, look after kids, parents etc. Everyone who loses a pound is a hero to me.
    A sustainable slow loss is a much better way to go than a crash diet, which usually results in a relapse and a rebound. We must accept that our society's attitude to food is distorted and we must slowly learn a better way to live and eat, even if it means going against the norms. We have to value ourselves enough.

Love to all. I've bought a big tray of deep red geraniums for the pots, also a green pepper plant. :D

Having trouble getting cheap travel insurance now I'm over 65. :'( Going to try one more company.

Marcelyn - HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! :drinker:

Heather UK
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    Morning everyone. 38 years with the love of my life today! Started out with exercise and moving on to yard work. :) I have to burn the calories that I'm sure to eat tonight at dinner.

Welcome to everyone new. Howdy to everyone "old"

Marcelyn
    Celebrating in Houston

Totally awesome job. Congratulations to you and your husband.

Janetr okc
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies!
    Argh I'm in that place...where it feels like I may never lose weight again. What are some tricks y'all use to keep motivated while waiting out a plateau?

Larisa in Seattle
  • MightyLolo
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »

stat for the day
    SKI MACHINE- 30min, 143mhr, grad hill climb program, 2.42mi = 308c

Oooh ski machine! I wish I had access to one of those. :)
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Carol GA - thanks for the cudos on my steps yesterday. Today is weight resistance training so I don't get in as many steps. Good job on your walking. I'm with the pom, I can't walk in much heat.
    Janetr okc
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    :)Heather, I like that you and I show two completely different approaches to food, cooking, and eating that work equally well for weight loss and maintenance. The trick for each of us to find what will work for us rather than trying to be like someone else and having it not work. Like you, I do an amazing amount of exercise for someone my age (I turned 70 this year) and find that it improves everything about my life.

:)Larisa, I live my life like a clock ticking in a thunderstorm...I keep doing the same thing no matter what is going on around me....so I eat and exercise and live my life the same no matter what the scale says or what my head says.

:)Marcelyn, Happy Anniversary

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif...now I'm headed out to teach my line dance class
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @cityjaneLondon and others who have welcomed me. I have been unfortunate enough to have blundered into some of the snarkier threads on this site. I have to say, this thread is breath of fresh air, and much more worthy of the limited screen time I am going to allow myself. Thank goodness I found you!

Karen in Virginia
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @barbicat Who are those two beauties in your avatar? I have 4 little dogs, 3 Yorkies and a Coton.
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday/ Friday the 13th/ Full Moon ! ! !

Saffron – Yes, Avon still sells clothes, and I have a motivational shirt. It is bright yellow and from Avon. It is hanging in my hall, so I see it every time I walk to/from bedroom, bathroom, etc. I’m so excited to hear that the motivational dress worked for you ! ! !

Marcelyn – Happy Anniversary ! ! !

Karen – Love your “limited screen time” attitude. I try to limit mine at home, because I am on the computer all day at work, and want to enjoy other things in life and family. And, I found the snarky threads, and am VERY thankful for this group. I have been gone awhile, between work and health, and I love that I can just jump back in and feel welcomed.

I was hoping to jump in with both feet today, but it didn’t happen. I have read from my most recent post yesterday, but unable to keep my thoughts in order to respond, so I hope you all know that you are constantly in my thoughts and prayers, and I offer virtual hugs whenever you want !

Today we have a lunch meeting at work, then a pretty busy afternoon schedule. Tonight I am taking another crack at banana bread with coconut flour; I read that the secret is to triple the amount of egg in the recipe, so keep your fingers crossed for me please.

Sorry this is so short and scattered, but the phone keeps ringing (yes, that’s what I get paid to do, so I better do it), so I better copy/paste/ get back to work.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee (sun is shining )
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Karen from NY, you wrote that your husband told you to go the gym and take care of yourself. What a great and supportive thing to say!

KetoneKaren (where was it you were from?) yeah, there's a lot of snarky out there. :'( I love your avatar. Do you have a special relationship with egrets? Tell all!

Meg from Omaha *sigh* Hearing about your daughters' mutual jealousy reminds me to thank my lucky stars for my wonderful, no-drama, reasonable family. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Larisa – Hang in there! You clinched the fitness trophy, so obviously you're doing something right. Plateaus are frustrating but they do end sooner or later. It's just that it always feels like much later from our own perspective.

Heather – in Sweden, travel insurance is generally included automatically in homeowner's insurance. Once long ago we were in the US and our son broke his wrist. It was a nice, clean, simple break. No hospital stay necessary; we were just in and out again. Nonetheless, the cost was horrific! But never a penny out of pocket! Our homeowner's insurance covered it. We calculated that we could have paid the insurance for 100 years and still have paid less than what the hospital charged to fix that broken wrist. :grumble:

I'm in northern Norway now, where there are actual TREES. I've been dashing around buying stuff I can't get hold of in Svalbard (self-adhesive channels to hide electric cords, certain types of batteries, tahini, dried chick peas - odd stuff). As I scuttled through the center of town I was rewarded by the sweet scent the balsam poplars give off when their leaves are unfurling. Svalbard is great, but we don't get very many smells in the cold.
    /Penny, currently twice as far as usual from the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Dear ladies whom I love... (sounds like the beginning of a great story eh?) Oh by the way, my "novel" is caught on some kind of mental block...It seems I can't figure out how to introduce Dmitri into the story. First I was going to paint him as a clairvoyant (since she had moved into his psychic awareness bubble). The reality part of me thinks that is hoaky. Or maybe he is that anti-social phobic hottie that lives in the huge house that overlooks the sea on the outskirts of town....Hmmm What do you think (to the ladies that have read my chapters thus far). What would you like Dmitri to be?

So yesterday was priceless in relation to the recruiters visit. There were two, all spit and polished and ready to impress us. I let them in and they cranked their necks looking at the huge map showing all of my husbands travels. Then they came in to sit down and they saw my husbands' shadow box saying..."OS Chief". It was a nice visit, and they were comfortable with us from the start. Knowing they didn't have to impress us, that we were Navy peeps just like them, let them lower their guard a bit I think. We found out the bonuses for the Nuclear field are amazing like 80k or 100k when they re-enlist. He could be a 1st class at 7 yrs in, and a Chief at 13 yrs in. With his schooling (2 yrs of Nuclear School) would count as 77 credits toward a college degree. There is a lot of stress with Nuclear School though, and I'm kind of worried about that. But the environment is so conducive to learning, that I am hoping that he will just be a sponge and soak it all up. My son will sign up this July, and there is a two day event where he goes thru the medical screening, takes the Nuclear test, (he has already taken the asvab test, and gets to chose a Job B (in case he doesn't make the cut for the Nuclear fields). They house them at a hotel near the airport, and give them vouchers to eat at the restaurant there. I still see my son as a child most of the time, so that whole event kind of gave me a panicky feeling. Knowing that I still have summer, and next year of school is a comfort. Most definitely.

Becca
    Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
  • MightyLolo
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »

:)Larisa, I live my life like a clock ticking in a thunderstorm...I keep doing the same thing no matter what is going on around me....so I eat and exercise and live my life the same no matter what the scale says or what my head says.

Yes, thank you! I'm trying to do the same. Just stick to the program, and not worry about how fast results come.
    I also keep reminding myself that I'm a former-and-future-athlete, and consistency, discipline, determination, these are what athletes do. If you knew how often in a day I say "this is what athletes do", or ask myself, "what would an athlete do?" You'd probably chuckle. But hey, it'll probably work? :wink:
    Thanks,
    Larisa
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Everything is well here in southern Indiana. Sun is brilliant, I enjoyed not having to keep a small piece of gauze in my tooth bed.Charlie's tooth bed finally quit oozing. The oral surgeon who took out my tooth put a stitch in it. Charlie is on a blood thinner and the doctor who did his did not put a stitch in. So when we went to bed around 1 AM he was still oozing a little bit. He ate a good meal today for lunch and I ate a banana without any wincing and grimacing of the face. I have to be able to eat my chicken and pork chops. They are a mainstay of my diet.

Meg, I am so sorry your daughter feels like she does. Why is it that a child can come from a loving family and feel like that? You have a super husband that will talk to her.

Allison, sorry about poor Chester. I think when you get your Dad's home all ready you need to move in temporarily and get some welcome rest.

Doing a very unhappy thing today. I am going to go shopping for bigger jeans. I will hang these jeans up as my inspiration. I have often thought of how I would introduce myself to the newbies here. Hi, I'm Joyce and I have lost 15 pounds. They applaud and ask how I did it. Well I lost 60 and gained 45 back. Not a happy story but it is up to me to not let it be the end of the story.

Joyce, Indiana
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
  • Pamela_June
    Pamela_June Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    How do I get this to show the latest posting on top...???
  • MightyLolo
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »

Larisa – Hang in there! You clinched the fitness trophy, so obviously you're doing something right. Plateaus are frustrating but they do end sooner or later. It's just that it always feels like much later from our own perspective.

Thank you!
    Yeah it's been three weeks so far. That's not really unheard of, I know...and I'm under enormous stress right now, trying to find a job and/or new clients for my freelance biz. So I'll just keep plugging away, and get what I get. I did have a non-scale victory this past week: I swam five days in a row for the first time ever. <3