Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Biggest loser?

Options

Replies

• 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Rob_in_MI wrote: »
    It's really a weight loss drama. The whole touchy feely "how did I get like this" with Bob is aggravating too. They ended up there due to *kitten* decision making. I actually enjoy the first few episodes where they are falling out and/or puking. It reminds me of basic training!

I do give them full props for signing up and trying though.

Why I make bad decisions regarding food has to be solved or all of this is for nothing as I will go right back to where I started.

Shouldn't be afraid of touchy feely. It can be helpful in many situations.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    It's really a weight loss drama. The whole touchy feely "how did I get like this" with Bob is aggravating too. They ended up there due to *kitten* decision making. I actually enjoy the first few episodes where they are falling out and/or puking. It reminds me of basic training!

Why I make bad decisions regarding food has to be solved or all of this is for nothing as I will go right back to where I started.

It doesn't follow that knowing "why" you make poor decisions will make it that you'll start making good decisions.

Most of the "why's" that are trotted out have no logical connection to their behavior anyway, and strikes me as exploitative - Getting sad people to dish and blubber and air their dirty laundry on air for our amusement.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    100df wrote: »

It doesn't follow that knowing "why" you make poor decisions will make it that you'll start making good decisions.

Most of the "why's" that are trotted out have no logical connection to their behavior anyway, and strikes me as exploitative - Getting sad people to dish and blubber and air their dirty laundry on air for our amusement.

I agree that the show exploits the people's emotions for amusement. It doesn't amuse me though.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    pixiestick wrote: »
    I used to feel motivated watching it, but I prefer extreme makeover now--mostly because the catty competitiveness and the artificial nature of the "week" sets unrealistic expectations.

That show isn't much better. They have had participants come out and talk about being put on VLCD's and dehydrating for weigh ins at the urging of producers. The Biggest Loser and Extreme Makeover are actually created and produced by the same person.

Exactly. It's all ratings & money. And that Chris Powell seriously makes my skin crawl.

• KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Has anyone read the recent study on these people post-loss? They all (but 1 person) gained back all they lost, and now have lowered metabolism Permanently!!! ..a double whammy…they are NOT burning 400-800 calories for the same excercise and calories as an average non-fat person, so they are now trapped for LIFE having to stick to low calories, and heavy excercise.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html?_r=1

http://www.dietdoctor.com/biggest-loser-fail-ketogenic-weight-loss-study-success

Seems the body fights hard to stay at the weight it was….that BL show is a short term dangle of diet success to desperate people who are willing to be shamed and puke their guts out in front of a camera.

I've learned many of the reality shows..like home remodel shows are a total acting job, the poor home owners hand over $100K and much of it goes to staging sets and paying the show's production expenses, the work is shoddy, and if you notice the show people are "perfect" and always charming and witty in speech, real people don't speak or act like that. (the behind the scenes folks-carpenters, etc. never say much, it is very scripted.)
  • doddsar127
    doddsar127 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Though I strongly believe in a free press, there are some shows that need warning labels. TBL is one of them. "This show abuses desparate human animals. It is not recommended to anyone with compassion."
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    pixiestick wrote: »
    I used to feel motivated watching it, but I prefer extreme makeover now--mostly because the catty competitiveness and the artificial nature of the "week" sets unrealistic expectations.

That show isn't much better. They have had participants come out and talk about being put on VLCD's and dehydrating for weigh ins at the urging of producers. The Biggest Loser and Extreme Makeover are actually created and produced by the same person.

Exactly. It's all ratings & money. And that Chris Powell seriously makes my skin crawl.

Love that guy! He's so energetic. Love how he jumps up on the stage at the finale, and also the fact that he seems to do all the races with his trainees - the ones on TV anyway hehehe
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Has anyone read the recent study on these people post-loss? They all (but 1 person) gained back all they lost, and now have lowered metabolism Permanently!!! ..a double whammy…they are NOT burning 400-800 calories for the same excercise and calories as an average non-fat person, so they are now trapped for LIFE having to stick to low calories, and heavy excercise.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/biggest-loser-fail-ketogenic-weight-loss-study-success

Seems the body fights hard to stay at the weight it was….that BL show is a short term dangle of diet success to desperate people who are willing to be shamed and puke their guts out in front of a camera.

I've learned many of the reality shows..like home remodel shows are a total acting job, the poor home owners hand over $100K and much of it goes to staging sets and paying the show's production expenses, the work is shoddy, and if you notice the show people are "perfect" and always charming and witty in speech, real people don't speak or act like that. (the behind the scenes folks-carpenters, etc. never say much, it is very scripted.)

Sigh.
  • Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »

Sigh.

Is there a reason you're sighing? Is there another thread devoted to this somewhere that I can't find? I'm new here and have also had the study on my mind, and can't believe it was only mentioned once in this thread.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. I wish people would quit saying that. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound fat. Weight = gravity's pull, Volume = space occupied
    Scientifically, when weighing something versus something else, it's usually to determine density. So one compares equal VOLUME of materials against each other. So yes muscle does weigh more than fat.
    What sense does it make to compare a pound/kg against another pound/kg if trying to determine weight?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. I wish people would quit saying that. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound fat. Weight = gravity's pull, Volume = space occupied

Muscle does not take up less space than fat. I wish people would quit saying that. A cubic inch of muscle weighs less than a cubic inch of fat. Weight = gravity's pull, Volume = space occupied
    I think you meant a cubic inch of muscle weighs MORE than a cubic inch of fat. I know you can't edit it anymore, diannethegeek. :)

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    What they do on the show? I think people are going to die. I think it's surprising they haven't.

You think people are going to die on the show? Or just die in general because they are morbidly obese?

Die because of the ridiculous level of exercise they are put through. Everything about the program is unsustainable.

I know they are being monitored by medical , but I always wonder how these people don't go into rhabdomyolysis.
    I'm betting some do on the first workout. But, then again they likely edit that out.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Am I the only one who actually likes the show? The only thing that bugs me is when they make those obese people RUN on treadmills (And there's always one who falls off!) Why put such stress on their joints when they could get just as good a workout on an elliptical with low/no impact?
    I always wonder why do a marathon? Heck even many FIT people (like myself) would have a hard time. It's all for ratings.
    People say it's too hard and unsustainable. Well, they have nothing else to do all day so working out 4-6 hrs a day for a few months is not unreasonable. Construction workers and other hard manual laborers work all day long for years don't they?
    Well yes it is because when they go back to the real world, they aren't going to workout 4-6 hours a day. And I the majority of manual labor workers aren't obese to start with. If there is one, they are usually the supervisor telling everyone what to do. ;)
    I don't see what's wrong with exercising hard for a few months in the luxury of the BL camp and learn how to implement lifestyle changes for the long term. Once they've lost majority of the weight at BL, they wouldn't need to workout so hard and would be able to maintain with an hour or so of daily exercise like most lean folks do. The problem of course is that most are regaining the weight because they didn't learn anything and went back to bad habits of overeating and not exercising.
    That's the irony. What they learn is SO EXTREME and a complete 180 from what they were before, that it's unlikely they will revert to that lifestyle. Being taught that fast food, processed food is evil is disingenuous because it's likely the food they ate to get obese in the first place. The first time they re engage in that food again, do you think that they feel good about it after all the BS the BL tells them about it? So what happens? The mentality of failure and of course the likely attitude of "why bother". That's how it is with ALL diets and why the failure rate still is 90%.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Dove0804 wrote: »

Sigh.

Is there a reason you're sighing? Is there another thread devoted to this somewhere that I can't find? I'm new here and have also had the study on my mind, and can't believe it was only mentioned once in this thread.

Yes, there are dozens of articles and this has been discussed quite a bit. I understand you're new and my sigh wasn't a personal attack on you.

Here's just one: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10383563/dont-let-the-biggest-loser-article-be-an-excuse
  • Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Dove0804 wrote: »

Sigh.

Yes, there are dozens of articles and this has been discussed quite a bit. I understand you're new and my sigh wasn't a personal attack on you.

Here's just one: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10383563/dont-let-the-biggest-loser-article-be-an-excuse

Thank you very much- I didn't make that original post, I was just curious!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've been really surprised at just how much talk that article generated here and how people seemed worried about it, as the information isn't new (there were reports about the same thing back in 2009 and at various times since then), and -- more significantly -- the BL-style weight loss doesn't seem applicable to most people.
  • LesasGettinFit
    LesasGettinFit Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Some contestants have kept the weight off!! It's a competition! The contestants know what they are getting themselves into when they sign up for the show! I myself am struggling to keep my weight off after losing 27 pounds I've gained some back but I'm fighting daily... For the 3rd time n the last 3 years of losing it!! And they get the proper nutrition and exercise information to keep the weight off. No one puts the food in their mouths to make them gain the weight back... They like us have to make healthier choices... Yes everything is hard quick or maybe unhealthy but the state some of them were living in were way worse! So u die from eating not from working out and learning a new eating lifestyle!
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Am I the only one who actually likes the show? The only thing that bugs me is when they make those obese people RUN on treadmills (And there's always one who falls off!) Why put such stress on their joints when they could get just as good a workout on an elliptical with low/no impact?
    People say it's too hard and unsustainable. Well, they have nothing else to do all day so working out 4-6 hrs a day for a few months is not unreasonable. Construction workers and other hard manual laborers work all day long for years don't they?
    Well yes it is because when they go back to the real world, they aren't going to workout 4-6 hours a day.
    That's because after dropping to normal weight levels they don't NEED to do that much exercise to maintain the weight loss. I used to exercise a lot more (in volume and intensity) when I was losing. Now, I only need 1hr/day of moderate intensity to maintain.

So, a high volume of exercise is certainly sustainable in the short term duration of the show because the purpose is to lose massive weights quickly. It's a perfectly good strategy that anyone can implement. Just because you can't do it forever doesn't mean you shouldn't do it all for a short time. It's like saying you shouldn't cut calories to 1200 for x months because it's unsustainable for the long term. Of course you can, you'll lose weight faster and then when you increase the calories, you'll either lose slower or maintain.
  • derek1237654
    derek1237654 Posts: 234 Member
    Options

Um no. This article is complete bs. I'll explain. The guy did destroy his metabolism by losing so much weight so quickly but the article said if he eats more than 800 calories a day he will gain weight? As soon as i read that i knew it was total bs. First of all google other articles on the same study and you will see they said if he eats more than 800 LESS than the average resting metabolic rate for a man of his size (assuming 190 lbs at his lowest) he will gain weight. Well that is a big difference (average metabolic rate for 190 pound man of his age is around 1800 calories give or take. So 1800 minus 800 is 1000 calories not 800 calories. Also when you look at the total daily energy expenditure of a sedetary male of 190 pounds it is not 1800 it more like 2150 calories. So 2150 minus 800 is 1350 calories. So the guy burns approximately 1350 calories at sedetary level of activity even if his metabolism never recovered and he stayed 190 pounds. So if he excercised and burned 1000 calories a day everday he could eat 2350 calories a day and stay the same weight. That is hard but not unachievable. This article is terribly misleading especially since it is about one of the most extreme cases in history and even this guy could maintain his weight. Just gives people an excuse to regain weight.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Many of the contestants kept the weight off, but many more fell back into their unhealthy habits. Its easy to lose weight while being secluded from real life duties and get to exercise 6-8 hours a day, but things get difficult when you're thrown back into real life. As for ruining their metabolism? The guy said he has to eat 800 calories to maintain his weight? I'd like to see what he's eating and if he's actually exercising. There was mention that his friends drink beer and don't gain weight, but if he drinks beer he gains 20lbs...well then, sorry, don't drink beer.

I'm actually enjoying a "fitness show" called Strong. They're focusing on bodyfat percentage and dress sizes for their female contestants.