May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @AdrianCr92 I have shorts/shirts like that too. They stink even after a wash. I cut the liner out of the shorts, figured it didn't breath or wick as well as I needed it too. But then never wore with them because I bought better shorts. Shirts get thrown away. Our dryer has a sanitize setting, that helps a bit. Our old washer had lime bud up, and everything stunk.

I'm glad it wasn't only me that funked up clothes so bad they wouldn't come clean.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I should mention, I do not have 6 winter sets of clothes. That *kitten* is expensive! I have two pairs and just do lots of laundry.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Florida heat/humidity - running/biking clothes get washed right away - usually as soon as I get home. I had a sports bra that the odor would not leave because I had let it sit a couple days. I'd wash it... and it would appear to be better but as soon as I would start out, I could smell it. Finally added bleach and it sort of went away and then came back. It was like that Seinfeld car episode ... where the parking attendant stunk up his car.

Biking shorts need to be washed straight away or you can get a saddle sore - and I've had two... no thank you.

5/1 - 35 mile cycling
    5/2 - 5 miles
    5/3 - 3.5 miles
    5/4 - 5 miles - intervals, sort of.
    5/5 - 25 miles cycling in a brutal wind
    5/6 - 5 miles + strength training
    5/7 - 34 miles cycling
    5/8 - 36 miles cycling
    5/9 - 5 miles + strength training
    5/10 - 5 miles - fartleks
    5/11 - 25 miles cycling
    5/12 - 5 miles
    5/13 - 4 miles
    5/14 - 34 miles cycling
    5/15 - 27 miles cycling
    5/16 - rest day
    5/17 - 4.5 miles + strength training
    5/18 - 5 miles + 20 miles cycling
    5/19 - rest day
    5/20 - 8 miles
    5/21 - 41 miles - got talked into adding 7 miles to the normal ride, even though we are going long tomorrow.

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    That moment when you realize there are no known nearby hills for which repeats will match the elevation per mile for your upcoming 50k.

I can get pretty close for the races I have, but Nothing near what you have and are training for.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I think cheaper workout clothes smell worse. None of my Nike stuff smells. But I've had Danskin from Walmart get an awful smell after the first wear. I use vinegar in the wash every time I wash running clothes.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    What's the percentage of your weekly training that should be your long run again? Sry to be lazy ... on my way now and preparing. Thx!

25-35%
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    That moment when you realize there are no known nearby hills for which repeats will match the elevation per mile for your upcoming 50k.

I can get pretty close for the races I have, but Nothing near what you have and are training for.
    The course is a 20 minute drive so I may do regular weekend long runs out on the course. Partly to train on the actual course, partly to see if their claim of 2300 feet of gain for every 10.3 mile loop is true.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Shoes feel like they are lacking in cushioning under the balls of my toes.. Hurts to put put pressure on the my toes when I push off while running and after a run. Anyone had this?

It could be something as simple as new shoes. I haven't seen any of the other responses, so forgive me if I'm repeating. The Morton's neuroma will hurt if you squeeze your foot. There is sesamoiditis also.

I just Google problems typically related to running and try to rule out what it might me. Then cry about it for a while, then make a doctor appointment, and it gets better. :smiley: good luck!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The course is a 20 minute drive so I may do regular weekend long runs out on the course. Partly to train on the actual course, partly to see if their claim of 2300 feet of gain for every 10.3 mile loop is true.

That sounds like a good plan to me. Getting to run the course ahead of time is always a good thing. If mine weren't 200 miles away each, I'd do the same thing.

For my last 4 long runs before my July half, assuming next week goes well, I plan on running that Mesabi Trail route. 11 miles for next week, as it's the longest, and then 9-10 miles for the other 3. There "should" actually be 5 more long runs, but I have a 10k race mixes in there and the elevation of that one is slightly more per mile, according to Strava, than my HMs
  • Net1968
    Net1968 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    May progress so far:
    1st 12km (on treadmill in gym)
    2nd 3km
    4th. 3km
    5th. 6km (hill training)
    6th. 3km
    7th. 5km (local Parkrun)
    9th. 2km
    11th. 2km
    13th. 2km
    15th. 21.1km (Chester HM)
    16th. 3km
    18th. 3km
    20th. 3km
    21st. 5km (local Parkrun) first time I ran the whole 5km without stopping in over 19 months!

Total 73.1km/75km still haven't worked out how to set up the tracker

Looking good so far!
    Happy running
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I am not going to disclose the amount of running clothes I have.... :|
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    Way to go @_nikkiwolf_ that is fantastic! Great race report! I love the fire hydrant idea!:smiley:
  • PoppetsMaster
    Options
    DATE...............MILES.............TOTAL
    5/1....................REST................00.00
    5/2....................REST................00.00
    5/3.......................5.00.................5.00
    5/4.....................10.00...............15.00
    5/5.......................3.00...............18.00
    5/6....................REST................18.00
    5/7.....................12.00...............30.00
    5/8.......................6.00...............36.00
    5/9....................REST................36.00
    5/10..................REST................36.00
    5/11.....................5.00...............41.00
    5/12.....................4.00...............45.00
    5/13..................REST................45.00
    5/14...................31.50...............76.50 (GRT 50k Ultra)
    5/15..................REST................76.50
    5/16..................REST................76.50
    5/17.....................5.50...............82.00
    5/18.....................5.00...............87.00
    5/19..................REST................87.00
    5/20.....................2.00...............89.00 (Very slow, leash-tangling, weed-chewing, tree-sniffing puppy-running experiment)
    5/21.....................8.50...............97.50

exercise.png

exercise.png

2016 Races
    5/14: Glacier Ridge Ultra -- 50k (Portersville, PA)
    7/9: Buckeye Trail 50k -- 50k (Brecksville, OH)
    7/16: ColorRun --5k (with my 15 year old)(Pittsburgh, PA)
    9/10: 1st Annual Possum Glory Endurance Race -- 50k (Northern Cambria, PA)
    10/1: Cloudsplitter 100 -- 100 Miles (Pine Mountain, KY)
    10/15: Buffalo Creek Half Marathon (Sarver, PA)
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I am not going to disclose the amount of running clothes I have.... :|

A few months ago I was running in cotton. Now I have too many :))
  • PoppetsMaster
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I don't have any cotton... I value my nipples.
  • PoppetsMaster
    Options
    dp2csr828ca2.jpg

Ran a new section of the North Country Trail today.... I do not know how they justify calling this a trail. I say it is just grass with some blue ribbons to aim for... and of course it was raining....

npkwccacxgzy.jpg

So when I finally exited the grass, I was greeted by mud and puddles... glorious... lol

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Great job @_nikkiwolf_. I really enjoyed the recap. Sounds kind of brutal with the heat and need for water, but great job. I'm impressed with your PR.

I had a good long run today of 75 minutes, 6.3 miles. The pace was steady and comfortable, and I can tell how much stronger I've gotten since I started 8 months ago.

I signed up for and formed a team for a 5k in August to supporting cancer research for the kind of cancer I lost my sister to in 2014. Even though this is just a 5k, it's now feeling like a BIG race to me and is giving me motivation to really train this summer. Given that I'm signing up for half marathon training, that training may be more than I bargain for.

Getting closer to my May goal!

exercise.png
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Small ego boost of the day...when I went to the running store to (hopefully) buy a pare of Brooks Sherpa shorts (they were out :( ) I got asked if I was in training for the Grandma's marathon....guess I'm starting to look like a runner or something....or the guy was just being charitable....

Self-image lags public perception. When I was in Boston, people were asking my sister (who was there as a spectator and cheerleader) if she was running the marathon. Yes, she looks like a marathon runner. No, she didn't realize she looks like one. She never thought about it, because she's never done events longer than a half marathon or an Olympic distance triathlon.

In similar fashion, I thought the desk clerk in Framingham just made a lucky guess when she asked if I was running. I didn't realize that *I* look like a marathon runner till I saw a picture my sister took of me at bib pickup.
  • MLS1582
    MLS1582 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, I've been better about running this month than I have been about checking in and posting here. It's the last month of the school year, so I know things will slow down soon (and I'm SO looking forward to it). I have 94 miles on the schedule, per my training plan, but I think I'm on track to hit an even 100! Despite already being 2/3 of the way through it, this scares the pants off me! I never imagined I'd run 100 miles ever, let alone in one month!
    I do wish it would quit raining, though.
    5/1 - 4.5m easy
    5/2 - 4m easy then fast w/rain
    5/4 - 3.2m moderate w/rain
    5/6 - 2.5m moderate
    5/7 - 6m RACE 11:10 pace
    5/8 - 4.8 easy
    5/10 - 4 easy 1 fast
    5/11 - 4m easy
    5/13 - 5.5 moderate
    5/14 - 3.3 easy but interupted
    5/15 - 4.1 easy
    5/18 - 4 tempo