17 May – 12.1 km
    19 May – 8.2 km
    20 May – 10.1 km
    21 May – 5 km Portland parkrun Launch
    23 May – 8.1 km
    24 May – 9.1 km

Total: 142.4 km (88.5 miles)
    Goal: 150 km (93 miles)

Ran an extra day this week, because I couldn't do my long run on Sunday (climbing a mountain again), and I did 8.1 km Monday and 9.1 km Tuesday instead. My hip tendon was feeling it this morning. Nice rest day Wednesday (walking instead). Nearly at my monthly goal!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me what the following are?

-Half marathon pace
    -Marathon pace

I get that 5k pace is your speedy pace. But how on earth do you know how to run those longer distances? Sometimes when reading, "marathon pace" sounds like you're meant to be pushing it all the way. Confused.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

-Half marathon pace
    -Marathon pace

I get that 5k pace is your speedy pace. But how on earth do you know how to run those longer distances? Sometimes when reading, "marathon pace" sounds like you're meant to be pushing it all the way. Confused.

These paces are the "speed of intent"; just how fast do you plan to run that future run?
    In order to figure out and get a reasonable estimate of what you may be able to do - you can use a race predictor calculation. Garmin has one or you can use this one:

http://www.runnersworld.com/pace-calculators/race-times-predictor

(it assumes appropriate training for the distance. Doing a fast 5K today doesn't mean you can do a fast marathon tomorrow.)

From the race time, you can then convert to a pace and see if that makes sense to you. Adjust up or down.
    You can training at that race-pace as a way of having your body "learn" a pace for long runs.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

-Half marathon pace
    -Marathon pace

These paces are the "speed of intent"; just how fast do you plan to run that future run?
    In order to figure out and get a reasonable estimate of what you may be able to do - you can use a race predictor calculation. Garmin has one or you can use this one:

http://www.runnersworld.com/pace-calculators/race-times-predictor

(it assumes appropriate training for the distance. Doing a fast 5K today doesn't mean you can do a fast marathon tomorrow.)

From the race time, you can then convert to a pace and see if that makes sense to you. Adjust up or down.
    You can training at that race-pace as a way of having your body "learn" a pace for long runs.

Thanks heaps, @EvgeniZyntx !
  • zmcgrandles
    zmcgrandles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    05/03 4.1 miles
    05/05 6.6 miles
    05/07 3.1 miles
    05/08 10.5 miles
    05/11 3.1 miles
    05/12 6.6 miles
    05/15 9.6 miles
    05/17 3.1 miles
    05/18 2.2 miles
    05/22 5 miles
    05/23 2.5 miles easy miles legs are definitely feeling a lot better just a couple more runs until the race.

exercise.png

05/29 Edinburgh Half marathon 5 days to go!!!
  • biscuitnow
    biscuitnow Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Supposed to do week 8 day 1 today, but meh... my energy levels have been kind of zapped the last few days. What do you guys do to get your energy up before a run? Caffeine?

Congrats on finding the energy to run after all! I have to say I cannot run without caffeine though - I run first thing in the morning and have to have my first cup of coffee first! ;)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    5/1-4.12 miles
    5/2- Rest
    5/3- 5.01 miles
    5/4- 3.12 miles
    5/5- 5.1
    5/6- rest
    5/7- 8.44
    4/8-3.11
    4/9-REST much needed REST
    4/10- 5.1
    4/11-4.1
    5/12- 5.11
    5/13- Rest
    5/14- 10.02
    5/15- 4.1
    5/16- Rest
    5/17- 4.19
    5/18-Crosstraining- I hate Crosstraining
    5/19- 5.41<- cruise interval workout
    5/21- 7.31
    5/22- 5.01
    5/23- Rest
    5/24- 7.01

Total: 86.66/100

Notes on Today's run: Today's assignment was the first "long" mid week run: 1h10m-1h20m at E. I had decide long ago that at leas some of my E runs were going to be hill runs instead of E, so that's what today was.

Theres a nice half mile hill about 2 miles from town, well the top is 2 miles, the bottom is 2.5. So I did a 2.5 mile warm up jog then ran the hill 3 times, continuing on my way back home after the third time going up. This was a nastier workout than I thought it would be. it was 55 degrees (not bad, actually nice) but with 98% humidity (YUCK, really really YUCK) so I was really feeling it after the third time up the hill.

When I reached the 5 mile mark, I decided that the last 2 miles would be cool down miles, and my pace reflected it: Mile 6 was 10 seconds slower than the average pace of the previous miles, and I really slowed it down for mile 7, a whole minute slower than the previous miles. I could have run faster, but I've finally learned to slow it down and cool down some at the end of my runs.

All in all, it was a harder run than I had expected, with the humidity, but it was a very productive run. now I'm looking t tomorrow's easy recovery run.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @7lenny7 - hope your achilles stops swelling /hurting. That's the one thing that usually gets me as well. Only on the left.
    @_nikkiwolf_ - loved the race reports! Amazing!
    @greenolivetree - too cute that the little kid wanted to do the runner's wave.
    @poppetsmaster - you drove 11 hours after the ultra?! Just driving 11 hours wipes me out. Unless I am the passenger sleeping. But seriously even with cruise control my right leg just cramps up.

I can't quite keep up with all the great runs in here, but trying! Had a nice 5 miles this morning. Wasn't as humid today as it has been and it felt great.

I definitely agree that if you don't feel like running, you sometimes get your best run in and it is like a drug. Never thought I'd be saying that, but it is so addictive. Also agree that the first mile is usually the worst. I walk the first 1/3 mile as sort of a warm up and then go very slow the rest of mile one and that has helped. My mile 1 is always around 13 minutes as a result. But after that I speed it up for the rest of the miles. I noticed if I just take off without any warm up my heart rate shoots up to 195 or so for just a few seconds and then goes back down. Didn't think that was a good idea, so now doing this warmup bit.

I am in some weird mode where I can't seem to make decisions about what my next HM will be, or if we want to stay in our house or sell it, or what we are doing on vacation. Although we finally booked flights (Portland, OR) and driving to Victoria, BC. No idea what we will be doing other visiting than my sister is in Portland.
    Basically, in limbo. All is good, just can't seem to commit to anything. And so I run which makes me happy and then I don't worry about the fact I'm not making any decisions. Husband is with me on this indecisiveness although he doesn't run, just cycles.

5/1 - 35 mile cycling
    5/2 - 5 miles + strength training
    5/3 - 3.5 miles
    5/4 - 5 miles - intervals, sort of.
    5/5 - 25 miles cycling in a brutal wind
    5/6 - 5 miles + strength training (Fri)
    5/7 - 34 miles cycling
    5/8 - 36 miles cycling
    5/9 - 5 miles + strength training (Mon)
    5/10 - 5 miles - fartleks
    5/11 - 25 miles cycling
    5/12 - 5 miles
    5/13 - 4 miles + strength training (Fri)
    5/14 - 34 miles cycling
    5/15 - 27 miles cycling
    5/16 - rest day
    5/17 - 4.5 miles + strength training (Tues)
    5/18 - 5 miles + 20 miles cycling
    5/19 - rest day
    5/20 - 8 miles + strength training (Fri)
    5/21 - 40 miles cycling
    5/22 - 45 miles cycling
    5/23 - strength training (Mon)
    5/24 - 5 miles

exercise.png

• PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @poppetsmaster - you drove 11 hours after the ultra?! Just driving 11 hours wipes me out. Unless I am the passenger sleeping. But seriously even with cruise control my right leg just cramps up.

Yeah... it was a few months ago. I drove back from Greenbush, WI to Pittsburgh after taking a DNF on that 50 miler. My brother said I didn't notice my sore legs because my feelings were hurt so bad... lol
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »

Yeah... it was a few months ago. I drove back from Greenbush, WI to Pittsburgh after taking a DNF on that 50 miler. My brother said I didn't notice my sore legs because my feelings were hurt so bad... lol

Leave it to brothers to keep us humble. :wink:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for May
    5/1 REST DAY
    5/2 6.2 miles - 6.2 << Taper and cutback week. 5K race Wednesday morning
    5/3 6.2 miles - 12.4
    5/4 4.4 miles - 16.8 << PEO-AVN 5K Fun Run (was only 2.9 miles; plus 1.5 w/u)
    5/4 3.1 miles - 19.9 << got some extra miles squeezed in
    5/5 7.5 miles - 27.4
    5/6 4 miles - 31.4
    5/7 REST DAY << Sick +daughter's birthday party
    5/8 REST DAY
    5/9 9 miles - 40.4 << Madkin Mountain (634 ft elev gain)
    5/9 4 miles - 44.4 << Daily Double
    5/10 8.3 miles - 52.7
    5/10 4 miles 56.7 << Daily Double
    5/11 6.2 miles - 62.9
    5/12 9 miles - 71.9
    5/13 6.4 miles - 78.3
    5/14 17 miles - 95.3
    5/15 REST DAY
    5/16 8 miles - 103.3
    5/16 5 miles - 108.3 << Daily Double
    5/17 9 miles - 117.3
    5/17 4 miles - 121.3 << Daily Double
    5/18 6.2 miles - 127.5
    5/19 9 miles - 136.5
    5/20 6.2 miles - 142.7
    5/21 18 miles - 160.7
    5/22 REST DAY
    5/23 9 miles - 169.7
    5/23 4 miles - 173.7 << Daily Double
    5/24 9 miles - 182.7

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 Great run, and great pace
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    May

1-0
    2-stretching
    3-stretching-knee is still sore
    4-yoga tonight/foam rolled
    5-nothing yet
    6-nothing
    7-13.36mi great race. super hard for me. but I did it and completed it. and now I've finished a half marathon race
    8-nothing
    9-nothing
    10-nothing-recovery takes too long
    11-yoga
    12-nothing
    13-yoga
    14=nothing
    15=nothing
    16-nothing yet.....
    17-4.7mi treadmill with hills. level 4
    18-yoga tonight
    19-4.23mi treadmill. i tried a steady rate with steady incline level 5. not good. bad run. lots of walking
    20-so i have a cold :frowning:
    21-nope
    22-zoo. no run, just lots and lots of walking and fun
    23-no run, but a ton of cleaning
    24-nothing-flare/no sleep/other crud

exercise.png

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    Mar 12-Great Pi Run 5k 32:17

May 7-Door County Half Marathon 2:51:11
    May 28-29-Global 5k Run Virtual
    May 28-Top Gun Run 5k Virtual
    June 11-Rock n Sole 1/4 Marathon?
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half (got my gear-good stuff)
    July 20-Cream Puff 5k?
    July 30-National Watermelon Day 5k?

• Zom_bunny
    Zom_bunny Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Im driving 3 hours to pick up a new bunny today but I am going to try really really hard to fit a run . Realistically though I will probably be bunny snuggling all day .
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Zom_bunny wrote: »
    Im driving 3 hours to pick up a new bunny today but I am going to try really really hard to fit a run . Realistically though I will probably be bunny snuggling all day .

Actually kitten, you need to get your run-in first and then see if you can fit in the Bunny Run...
  • asmalworld
    asmalworld Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been running 5km under 30min for a while now. Last year I ran 5k- 8k-10k and 15km races. This year I want to run half marathon in September. I'm not sure which 12-14 weeks training plan is good for HM. if you know about any good HM plan please share the link.
  • Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    1/5: 8.1 Miles
    3/5: 5.0 Miles
    5/5: 6.0 Miles
    7/5: 9.0 Miles
    10/5: 5.0 Miles
    12/5: 3.8 Miles
    13/5: 3.7 Miles
    15/5: 13.1 Miles
    20/5: 5.0 Miles
    22/5: 4.4 Miles
    24/5: 3.7 Miles

exercise.png
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    asmalworld wrote: »
    I have been running 5km under 30min for a while now. Last year I ran 5k- 8k-10k and 15km races. This year I want to run half marathon in September. I'm not sure which 12-14 weeks training plan is good for HM. if you know about any good HM plan please share the link.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/64474/Half-Marathon-Walk-Training-Program-Intermediate-1
    Or see the other plans on the links towards the bottom of that page.

Really, almost any reputable plan, consistently used will get you to a HM. Choose one, stick to it.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

-Half marathon pace
    -Marathon pace

@orphia,

The best way to figure out those paces is with more running. I find the calculators work only when you have a solid base of running and have properly trained for the distance in question. When you get to the half and full marathons, endurance plays such a huge role that I don't think you can really look at a 5K time or even a 10k time and get a fair estimate. Another factor is that during your training for a half or full, your marathon pace should increase, particularly for a first timer.

In my opinion, a new runner shouldn't even worry about a marathon pace, intervals, or even tempo runs. I gave up on figuring all that out and spent 98% of my first 6 months running at easy pace in a build up to my first half, and over the next 6 months, 95% of my running was spent at easy pace. Easy being defined simply as the pace I could run while carrying on a conversation. I think new runners hear experienced runners talk about tempo runs, intervals, hill repeats, etc and get so eager to do these as well that they don't build up their base as they should. Now, with a year of running behind me, I'll gradually start to incorporate speed work and hill work.

But I get where you're coming from. When I started running I was just lost trying to even understand what all these paces where supposed to mean, let alone figure out what they were. The calculator I prefer to use is Daniel's calculator found here:

http://www.runsmartproject.com/calculator/

Enter your numbers from our most recent/longest race and then look at the Equivalent tab. I also suggest looking at the Training tab to see what your paces for the easy run and tempo (threshold) run should be.

One thing I'll caution about is to be honest about your where your fitness level is now, and use that as a basis of determining your paces. Don't set a goal for your marathon pace and use that as a basis for your easy pace, threshold pace, etc. If you do that you'll be running too fact for the desired effect of your training run.

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    Marathoners: I live an hour from my race (in November). Any issue with driving (an hour) after the run? I'm thinking about staying overnight downtown. Your experiences? :) Thanks!

I drove 3 hours home the day of my marathon. Getting out of the truck (a lifted 4x4 F250) when i got home was a little interesting, but I survived.

You probably won't be moving real well the rest of the day, anyway, so you might as well be driving while vegging out...