WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2016

Options

Replies

• Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I am a happy camper!

Yesterday was day 30 of my weight loss journey. Yes, I know I have lost weight, no I don't know how much as I don't weigh myself. All of my jeans are loose enough I have to cinch the belt tighter to keep the jeans from wiggling down.

I still have days which I get really hungry but there less of them than in the beginning.

This morning I am off to the long arm quilting shop to rent time on the machines to quilt a gift for a friend's daughter. At 5 yrs old, she won't notice the wonky seams but will love that this is a quilt just for her. It will be a 'big sister' quilt gift. Her Mom is having a baby next month and I have a baby quilt in the works for the little one. Didn't want big sister to feel left out, sometimes it seems its all about the new baby. I wanted to make sure the new big sister knows she is not forgotten.

Charleen in Colordao (Must be Spring - here comes the hail)
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,638 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,
    Michele – a tumor on an ear nerve…. Ok that sounds horrid…. Hope it can be taken care of.

Becca – sending good thoughts and tons of hugs.

Terri – sending hugs! I’m sorry to hear that you lost a friend.

Sunnygirl – beautiful pic! (I have the same door mat you do)

Sarah – welcome, and yes there are folks from England, Ireland, Canada, and USA that post pretty regular and other countries occasionally

Barbie and Jake – sending hugs and my sympathy….. love you

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Joyce and Becca - You and your respective hubbies are in my thoughts and prayers today.

Livermush is evidently a Southern thing and maybe even a Southern mountain thing. Most people around here eat Neese's livermush but my hometown has Hunter's livermush. My father and grandparents would take the liver from their own animals to have Hunter's make livermush. They may actually own the abbatoir in town, too.

Michelle - I'm so sorry about the tumor. Wake Forest is a great medical facility. Many folks from up your way come to Baptist for specialty treatment. From here in Burlington, we have three fantastic teaching hospitals within one hour's drive to choose from.

My mother called last night and asked if I had my suitcase packed. :hushed: It turns out that when I told her I was planning to come up the first weekend in June, she heard Memorial Day weekend. I was so confused!!

Heather - The grandbabies are adorable as always!

I suppose I ought to get some more work done. This church is not having worship here on Sunday--they are going to worship with a partner church as an ongoing project on racial relations between churches. I feel so lost without needing to prepare a bulletin for Sunday!!

:heart: Carol in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rosie: Your daughter is lovely and obviously gets her good looks from you. I love the hair photo from the back. Is that a braid? Gorgeous! :smiley:

Becca: You and your DH are in my thoughts today. I hope there is a simple and quick solution for the problem he's having. (((hugs))) :heart:

sarahjsmythe1 & Bix247: Welcome! In order to find your way back to us, click on the hollow star at the top of the page. It will turn yellow. Then you can click on the gray star under Community and find us. We are near the end of the month and will start a new thread for June. Barbie posts a link at the bottom of this thread so that you can find us again. You'll need to click on the star on the new thread to find your way back to it, too. :flowerforyou:

Karen from NY: Counting blessings along with calories is a great idea! :star:

Joyce: Hugs to both you and Charlie today. I hope this surgery makes his life easier and happier. :heart:

Barbie: Hugs and prayers for Jake and you today. Losing a child of any age is a tragedy. :broken_heart::heart:

Michele: I hope your ear situation is easy to treat and resolve. :heart:

I had a good night's rest last night and am looking forward to yoga today. This is the beginning of Memorial Day Weekend, and our sailing club will be anchored in a lovely lagoon a few miles down river. I would love to go down for a while to see them, but doubt it will happen. I don't think DH wants to go, plus the boat is not ready for use. Think of it as a floating RV with sails. Nothing is ready for a voyage of even a short distance. I hope to spend some time getting it ready for use.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

annr- hope your husband gets better, thinking of you.
    cityjanelondon - great smile you got there.
    sunnygirl - love the pics!
    barbiecat - sorry to hear about jake's daughter, my heart goes out to him and the family

well, we are going again to the ocean to our "cabin" for the weekend. staying 2 nights this time. he has to work on Saturday but will be in the OR so he will drive the car and get there early so he can get his stuff done and come home early. I will b able to go to the gym early on sat and come home and we will leave after that. might be able to get a run in on the beach, who knows.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :'( Jake's daughter died last night after a many year battle with breast cancer. The call came at 1:40 AM....Jake has been up since then talking on the phone with family members...I walked the dogs and went back to bed.

Barbie Peace and strength be with you and Jake as you deal with this loss. <3

Karen in Virginia
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    CSSJ09 wrote: »
    Cheri I hope your daughter is fully recovered and DH has the job he wants. {{{hugs}}} to you.
    CJ

Thanks for asking!

This will be our daughter's last week of PT in Chicago as she is relocating to Midlothian,VA the following week. She saw her surgeon yesterday and he was very pleased with her progress however he would like her to continue PT when she gets to her new place. She will have to wait until her new insurance activates and then get a recommendation for a PT in the area.

A long 2 weeks coming up as we will go to Chicago to help both kids move. Our son only a few Chicago blocks to a new apt closer to work and with a garage as he wants to purchase a car to get out to the city on occasion. We will load a uhaul with our daughter's stuff (actually this time around we hired 3 loading helpers) and drive it here for over night and then head out to VA her final destination. Both of them were told they were on their own with packing up their studio apartments (we just can't do it anymore with our backs) so we will see what we will be walking into when we arrive. I have been Skype packing with Ros and she is totally lost on this process.

My husband continues his search unfortunately. He is still making applications to schools around the country and getting several phone/Skype interviews in the process. He has also had a few on campus visits. The process is painfully slow. 99% of the time he never hears anything back. His most recent visit was with Herzing University in Milwaukee, WI. I do believe we discussed and agreed not to go North or West of here but he's got to do what he can as it is going on 19 months of this search. I honestly think he comes across too smart and too experienced for the Career Services employees that he comes across in these interviews. He is super intelligent and passionate about what he does. When he can see who they went with it is usually someone local, or a promotion from within. I am in denial of the fact that it might be age discrimination. He's only 56 yo and has many more years of employment in him. Sigh.....

Take care,
    Cheri
    In very warm NE oHIo
  • Pamela_June
    Pamela_June Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone! Here is wishing ALL a loving weekend!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,270 Member
    Options
    Cheri - You are being marvellously patient with your husband's job search. I can imagine it must frustrate both him and you. :flowerforyou:

Barbie - So sorry to hear Jake's terrible news. :'(

Rosie - Lovely photos. Thanks for sharing. I can tell you are going to miss her and her lovely smile. <3

My visitors have gone and all went well. I think I can get through the rest of the day without going over calories. It was the stinky cheese and the fizzy wine that got me. :D Luckily we have left over soup I can have tonight . We had a nice drink out in the garden under the umbrella.

Welcome new ladies! Hello to the person from England! I am from Hampshire, so way down south. It takes a while to get to know us all,but it is definitely worth it. :D

Love Heather UK
  • Gloworm46
    Gloworm46 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Barbiecat - so sad to hear of Jake's loss. Hugs to both of you. Too many lost to this terrible disease. I fervently hope that there will be a cure someday.

Joyce - thinking of you and sending up a prayer that all goes well with Charlie's surgery and recovery. (((Hugs)))

Today I am grateful for the internet. Without it we would not know each other or be able to send and receive all those wonderful hugs! I am also grateful for all of the emoticons and emojis that make sending messages fun and amusing. Unfortunately I have not figured out how to do it on my Kindle :(

Going to DGS#2s 2nd grade play Dogs and Cats today. They made headbands with dog and cat ears. I'm sure it will be adorable. Taking pics for sure!

DGS#1 is graduating from 5th grade in June. Hormones are already raging - he has been very sensitive lately which is not at all like him. Thank heavens not interested in girls yet!

Kudos to those who deserve them, healing prayers for those who need them, and HUGS to you all!

Gloria in sunny but chilly WA

• pipcd34
    Options
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Rosie ~ Thanks for sharing your pics. You and your lovely daughter look alike! :)

Heather ~ Your DH seems to have so much fun with the children. As usual, you look lovely holding your little one.

Barbie, Becca, and Joyce ~ Thoughts and prayers for what all y'all are going through. <3

The 4 yr old had to go to the doc with strep throat this AM, so I took the 6 yr old to swim practice. Now I have to start cleaning as we are having my DH's family over tomorrow. Of course, my house is a mess.

Carol

Carol
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • nanalisax3
    nanalisax3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    may is national ride your bike to work month, or bike month.. since i do it anyway, i encourage u to do it sometime, if you don't work anymore, then ride it somewhere, to the store even!

I just bought a bike haven't rode I. 40 years lost 135 lbs 52 since Nov still 60 to go. My husband loves me no matter my weight and rides bike. He's seven years younger I'll be 58 in June so I'm trying I'm wobbly have fibro and diabetis my 4 yr old granddaughter thinks she's teaching me how to ride." Just peddle and wear helmet don't want your brain smashed". I have to laugh but I'll get it. Add me if you'd like I'm out to be healthy and happy a retired nurse of 25 years learning to take care of herself.

• nanalisax3
    nanalisax3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    What a cute bike, nanalisax3!
    Larisa
  • Gloworm46
    Gloworm46 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Pip - what is the difference between your winter and summer bikes?
  • pipcd34
    Options
    gloworm46 - tons difference.. my winter bike is a hybrid bike, heavier sturdier, smaller sprocket, and it has a granny gear. it has wheel fenders and a back bike rack for my panniers. my summer bike is a road bike, it has drop down handle bars, no fenders or bike rack and also a lot lighter and no granny gear, bigger sprocket so I have a bigger pedal stroke so I do go faster on the summer bike, summer bike is made for speed. nanalisax, that's a cute bike, you have what we call a fixie, a beach cruiser, there are no gears so hopefully you only ride on flat surfaces... my bikes each have around 26-27 gears. i'll look for sure, never thought about it and get back to you.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I contacted Sylvia and got a reply that I will share with all of you. The news is good:

"oh, Katla! I've just been incredibly busy. The new gallery takes a lot more of my time than I thought it would, and physical therapy three times a week, and now the kids are getting out of school, so they have kept me hopping with year end events and things. And right this minute I'm in a hotel room in Galveston. Hubby and I are taking a week all to ourselves. But even that is a hassle. Last night we drove through thunderstorms to get here. We are about to leave for San Antonio, then go to Big Bend National Park. So, I'm really sorry I haven't checked in lately, and I'm sorry if you all worried. My health is still good, although my weight is creeping back up. When we get back I'm going to get back on track.

Please let everyone know that I'm ok. I hope things are going well with you and all the others! Take care!

Love to all,

Sylvia"
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Please tellSylvia I am so relieved to hear her good news. We all miss her and hope she and DH have a great holiday.
    I am absorbing everyone 's happy moments as if they were my own. Who knew that a bunch of "mature" gals from around the world could be such a caring community without even physically meeting each other? You have really become my support. I wish I could give back just a bit of the strength and wisdom you give me. <3 CJ