June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for June
    6/1 5 miles - 5 << Another recovery run.

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10
  • lauraare
    lauraare Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • justbetty9
    justbetty9 Posts: 11 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm gonna try 100k, although some of that maybe walking :)
    Good luck every one

exercise.png
  • checkthestove
    checkthestove Posts: 44 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    kimlight2 wrote: »
    My question of the day, is it better to get up at o' dark 30 to run when it is cool and get a really good quality run in or should I run a little later in the morning since unfortunately my race doesn't start until 8 AM and I am worried about the heat on race day but I know my training runs will be crap?

@kimlight2 my opinion is that you should run whenever it best fits your schedule, but fit in a few easy runs the same time of day as your race.

I don't feel that running in the heat makes for a crap training run. Heat introduces the body to different stresses, and your pace for a given effort may be slower, but you're still reaping the benefits in spite of the slower time. For most runs, a slow pace is not an indicator of a bad run. As much as I try, I'm often guilty of trying to keep up a certain pace on my easy runs, even though an easy run, by definition, should be easy. If heat makes it slower, so be it.

Last summer I timed my runs to avoid the heat, even looking ahead to the forecast to move my rest days to the hottest days. This summer I'm embracing the heat to allow my body to better adapt to it. The only time I'll avoid the heat is when I want to take Kody running with me.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Here are my commitments for June:

1. Some form of exercise before work every day, even if it's only 20 minutes of yoga. I have found that this definitely increases my energy and my ability to stay focused on my work.
    2. Try not to focus on mileage or speed. Enjoy my running and, most importantly, stay injury free.
    3. Look into incorporating more trail running into my schedule. What little trail running I have done, I have enjoyed.

I will probably continue to post my miles to keep with the spirit of the thread, but not gonna set a goal...

@lporter229 these sounds perfect!!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

So this means that we should go barefoot running carrying an olive branch and say something nice to all the other runners going by us, eat some hazelnut cake afterwards, give the heimlich to the ones that ate their cake before doing a proper cool down, and then write about it all to their penpal.

Great plan!

@skippygirlsmom I didn't even make the connection between olive day and my name. LOL I do love me some olives though.....

• sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My goal is 30 miles. I'm on week 7 of C25k so it should be doable if I keep up with the 3 runs a week.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting to run today. It's driving me a little crazy.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning why the wait? Today a long run day?

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning why the wait? Today a long run day?
    It's a long run day and there wasn't a way to fit it in this morning among other commitments.