June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I decided against running yesterday since I was actually a little bit beat up after doing a 5k at race effort with a half marathon race at long run pace 12 hours later. The family all went to the zoo yesterday so I got in quite a bit of walking exercise, but no running.

Since last week was 42 miles as opposed to my planned 54 miles (heat got me early in the week) I figured I could count that as an unplanned down week and move on to a shot at higher mileage this next week. When my alarm went off this morning to run I decided I felt pretty tired (surprisingly after a rest day) so I decided to take one more rest day so I can get a strong start beginning tomorrow, despite sacrificing 6 miles. I don't regret it one bit.

Provided I can keep up with my newly revised schedule the rest of the month, I should meet (maybe exceed) my planned mileage. But if things get too hard again, I might just need to switch from base building to a couple cycles with some speedwork and slightly reduced mileage. I'm going to do the rest of this month by feel.

6/1 - 8 brutal miles
    6/2 - 4 crappy miles
    6/3 - 3.1 lovely, fast, and hilly miles
    6/4 - 13.1 wonderful, moderate effort, hilly miles
    6/5 - Rest
    6/6 - More Rest! :smile:

28.2/225 miles

exercise.png

2016 races (this list is subject to change at the posters whim):
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO) 2:30:17.6 new PR
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS) 2:28:39.52 new PR
    4/23 - Heroes for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO) 2:19:14 but was only 12.5 miles
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS) 2:25:06
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS) 2:17:38.4 new PR
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO) 33:10
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO) 2:39:42
    7/23 - Psycho Summer Run Toto Run 50k (Kansas City, KS)
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    That sucks, @PoppetsMaster. I hope it's nothing serious and you can get back to kicking kitten ASAP.
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @9Voice9... that was so funny! I am glad to see I am not the only one that has these conversations... lol
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hope your knee is better tomorrow @PoppetsMaster. Maybe change the drink in your handheld to help deal with the pain? :smile:

@9voice9 - I find myself doing the same. While I'm out running I start wondering what the folks in these threads would do and it helps keep me going (usually). Sometimes I have to convince myself that I don't give a crap what so-and-so thinks in order to keep myself going in some certain way (could be wise or risky). That doesn't always work (as in hardly ever).
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    exercise.png
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

@katharmonic My nose is a faucet the whole time I run if it's below about 55. Also my eyes will be pouring. I haven't tried nasal spray but Benadryl is a big no for me because it dries out my mouth which isn't a good trade-off. I hate to say it, but I just carry Kleenex. Either a small package or stuff them all in my FlipBelt or my pockets if it's jacket weather. I need about 6 tissues for 3-4 miles :-/ All winter/spring I tried to plan my runs around trash cans. LOL I know where all the trash cans are on the trails and plan to dispose of my tissues. It's annoying because I can't just give a good blow and be done with it. There's nothing to "blow". Just drip drip drip. At one point in the spring I bent over to fix my shoelace and my nose literally ran all over my arm and my Garmin. It was disgusting. :s

This is me too - but it is continuing in warm/hot weather too. I just want to stuff a kleenex up there sometimes.

@poppetsmaster so sorry about the fall! Take it easy and i hope your injuries will heal up quickly. Also, I like your writing style :).
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Does anyone use a nasal spray or anything to help with a constant runny nose while running? It's so annoying!

No, but I got bad siuses and very often it leaks down and gets caught between the breathing and swallowing and just chokes me in the middle of the run. The way I react to cough it out sounds like I am puking mid run. Not a pretty site or sound for those running with me.

Congratulations @moyer566

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @moyer566 you look amazing!!!! Thank you for sharing your day! I love weddings, well other people's ha ha!!!

@whatmerunning your post made me smile. :heart:

@poppetsmaster wow first I'm so glad the car didn't make contact with you, second holy crap that must have been really scary. Take care of yourself and heal up soon. Freaking stupid drivers.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic You may be on to something there.....running with Kleenex stuffed up our noses.... :-D

@poppetsmaster Wishing you a speedy recovery! Crosswalks around here scare me because people are used to making right turns on red and pedestrians are at risk.

Speaking of such things, I live in a small town and when I choose to run streets/neighborhoods instead of driving to a trail, I feel pretty safe. But in August we have a new high school opening about 1mile from my house. I know that traffic will increase and also 2 stoplights are going in also .75 mile from me in each direction. This will really change up my running I think. I run through these 2 intersections frequently. One is a 2 way stop across a busier road. Depending on time of day I may not have to stop at all but sometimes have to wait on a few cars. Not sure how the stoplight will change this one up. The other is a 4 way stop, less busy street, except it will be during school arrival/dismissal and also school events and FOOTBALL. I currently have never actually ran around any stoplights. I do use one crosswalk that connects the 1 mile trail in town across a neighborhood entrance but it's not lighted/signaled and sometimes people stop for me and sometimes they don't.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be positives and negatives with having the school and 2 new stoplights in town. But I'm looking forward to having the track at the high school for an occasional track workout :)
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people that just wipes my nose with my hand or blows my nose into my hand and wipes it on my pants/shorts when I'm running. It's incredibly gross, though long sleeves make it a little less gross, but it gets the job done and offers temporary relief. I had lots of handfuls of snot during my 10K race on Saturday. I would be interested in knowing how others handle the issue, though. I agree - it is super annoying to deal with!

Yep - blow and go. During the winter, there would be enough...stuff to actually rocket (to the side, and make sure there's not anyone behind me - not usually a problem). Nowadays, not so much, so it's blow those little flecks into the hand (and still get 'em on the shirt/chest) and wipe on the shorts.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    @moyer566 You are such a beautiful bride! I love your warning/blessing to the poor souls who needed to find parking, lol

@ceciliaslater thinking about you today...and praying your surgery goes well with a quick and strong recovery!

@instantmartian I'm sorry to hear that your bad month got topped off with a miserable race. I've been out for a few weeks as well, and seriously, who turned on summer while I was gone?

@poppetsmaster I hope your knee doesn't give you trouble for much longer...I live in fear of the embarrassing and painful fall; I'm a certified klutz.

I got out today to the lake for my 4.5 mile run. In spite of the shade it was already 80 by the time I finished at 10. I think once the kids are out of school and I don't have to take them I'm going to head out an hour earlier (or more). I'm also dialing back my mileage for the month, to 60. While my legs felt better and better with each mile, my ribs and lower back and behind were all giving me grief more and more. While I might reach 75, I'm concerned that I also might push beyond what I'm ready for, for the sake of reaching an arbitrary goal. So, oh well. My next "race" is a 5K on Sunday, and I plan to walk-run it with my 9 year old (it will be his first race event) so I'm not worried about time--but I don't think I could beat my PR anyway, or even come close right now.

exercise.png

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Met up my usual northern running partner at the track today, where he wanted to test out his slowly recovering foot with some 1/4 and 1/2 mile repeats. Not sure it was his best idea (coming off a long run yesterday) given how slow he has been to recover, but I plodded with him on most of his repeats (he does them at an 8 pace), and only pushed it for one 400 repeat of my own (75 seconds) as my legs were pretty shot from prior week's mileage. I'm hoping he didn't exacerbate his injury, but good to get out for some distance today.

6/1 - 4 mileshis
    6/2 - 8 miles
    6/3 - 13.5 miles
    6/5 - 13.5 miles
    6/6 - 8 miles

Total: 47 miles
    Goal: 200 miles
    Remaining: 153 miles

Upcoming Races:
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep
    Chicago Marathon - Oct
    Ironman Florida - Nov

@poppetsmaster - Sorry to hear about your spill... for me I usually am more injury prone in the woods, but glad you avoided splattering yourself across the car's windshield.

@bradboughner5 - Welcome to the forum. Started my first Couch to 5K back at 260lb in late 2012, and it turned into a whole other ball of wax once the bug bit me, and my competitive juices kicked in. Found myself at 158lb and running a 3:08 marathon / BQ last month, so it definitely can become addictive. Definitely start with an easy number (25 is great), don't worry about speed/intensity (so you can enjoy your runs), the distance and performances will improve with time!
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    After about three years of running injury free, my luck ran out. I normally run in the early morning either on trails or back country roads, but last Friday I ended up having to run in town in the afternoon. This was a wretched idea on many levels, including the heat, the lack of a breeze, too many people (especially kids) on foot and more pertinently, too many people in vehicles.

As I attempted to cross an intersection in rare obedience to the crossing signal, a car flew around the corner and had to lay on the brakes to avoid propelling me in a direction and at a speed that would have been most uncomfortable for me. I had just enough time spring back towards the sidewalk (although "spring" has a connotation of grace and agility that was sorely lacking in my performance). As I made this move to relative safety, my foot caught on the curb and I pitched forward in full pancake mode.

I had a hand-held in my left hand and when it hit the pavement the force popped the top open and blew tepid water into my face. My right hand, however, rolled awkwardly underneath me, treating me to explosive pops of bright yellow pain. At 58, there is no such thing as an easy fall, so I had to stay in my humiliating prone position to take inventory of further damage and wondering if my ego would ever recover.

I got up as cooly as possible with my dangling limp wrist and cok-eyed sunglasses and tried to walk it off. My wrist was hurting severely enough that I paid very little attention to the slight niggle on the inside of my left knee just below the knee-cap. I went another three miles before it dawned on me that I was more than likely being stupid.

A trip to the ER confirmed no fracture, but a delightfully thorough sprain of the wrist, requiring only anti-inflammatories, narcotics and a brace. Being left-handed, a wounded right wrist is of little consequence.

The knee, however, is proving to be more problematic. I went out on Saturday for a trail run and it hurt like a beotch for the first few yards and then became manageable except for downhills and walking. Any resumption of running after walking repeated the pain sequence. I bailed after 10 miles. I went back out yesterday for a road run and put in 6 before calling it quits... the pain wasn't gigantic when I was running, but I could tell it was affecting my stride. Mostly, I was having moments of dread, paranoia and panic since I have never experienced a knee issue before.

Today is a rest day with an Ace knee strap, ice and Naproxen. I will be a horrifically whiny baby if I end up on the injured reserve list. I have another 50k in four weeks. I will be the complete antithesis to the patient sophistication of @MobyCarp.

Only thing I have to say is that drivers suck. Glad it's only a sprain wrist and hopefully only a few days rest needed for the knee. I did however enjoy the eloquence of your description of the entire incident.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

I made friends and walked with an avid runner and the rest is history. Running is a sanctuary for me I walked and lifted weights for a couple months before starting the 5k program. Looking to learn and share with others.

Currently under the influence of runners. :wink: nice.

Glad you found us. Hang around there's a lot to learn and some great guys and gals here. Congratulations on taking you're life back, serious weight loss *high five*.

Nothing like the feeling you get after a stellar run, it will happen. I know, early on seems running is endless torture.

For the newbies: there's a Strava MFP group if anyone is interested in joining.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @poppetsmaster yowzer! Glad you were spry enough to avoid greater injury.

I fell on Feb 6th a mile in to a 10k, tore up my knee. It's still a bit bothersome when I bend down and put any pressure on it. I do hope yours lines out quickly and without long term issues.
  • Stoshew71
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for June
    6/1 5 miles - 5 << Another recovery run.
    6/2 6.5 miles - 11.5
    6/3 REST DAY (unplanned but necessary)
    6/4 13.5 miles - 25
    6/5 REST DAY
    6/6 8 miles 33

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    finally caught up on reading posts. Second straight rest day today, and really glad I tok it. My 2 planned runs before my race on Sat are an easy 5 mile tomorrow and an easy 6 mile on thursday. Thurs was scheduled to be Tempo Intervals, but with the 10k race this coming weekend, I have speed work built in, so my weekday runs on this cut back week will both be easy runs.
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    Random thought: Yesterday Garmin gave me more elevation for what I considered a flat 7 miles than the 6.2 miles on Friday when I purposely ran hills (I thought I got ripped off on elevation that day!) Behind the trail around the lake I ran, there is a mountain biking trail that climbs up pretty high (I've been up there on foot). I wonder if Garmin somehow thought I was up there? LOL
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

@katharmonic My nose is a faucet the whole time I run if it's below about 55. Also my eyes will be pouring. I haven't tried nasal spray but Benadryl is a big no for me because it dries out my mouth which isn't a good trade-off. I hate to say it, but I just carry Kleenex. Either a small package or stuff them all in my FlipBelt or my pockets if it's jacket weather. I need about 6 tissues for 3-4 miles :-/ All winter/spring I tried to plan my runs around trash cans. LOL I know where all the trash cans are on the trails and plan to dispose of my tissues. It's annoying because I can't just give a good blow and be done with it. There's nothing to "blow". Just drip drip drip. At one point in the spring I bent over to fix my shoelace and my nose literally ran all over my arm and my Garmin. It was disgusting. :s

This is me too - but it is continuing in warm/hot weather too. I just want to stuff a kleenex up there sometimes.

@poppetsmaster so sorry about the fall! Take it easy and i hope your injuries will heal up quickly. Also, I like your writing style :).

maybe you could stick a couple of tampons up your nose, now that would be a look. Mine runs too but not horribly bad, I'm a snot rocket person so I just let them fly.

@greenolivetree I've seen the way the kids at Skip's high school drive, running near them would scare the crap out of me. :wink:
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Last school year (just ended) I had a 9th grader at the other high school in the next town. I have seen these teen drivers :neutral: I watched one girl day after day back out of her parking space without looking and almost hit so many people! She would get in her car, hook up her phone, stick earbuds in, text people, then suddenly back up without looking! It will be nice to have our son at a nearby school the next 3 years, but it does come with a price (including increased property taxes! LOL)