Things/topics that bother you the most in the forums...

Options
12345679»

Replies

• pixieofdoom
    pixieofdoom Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Slightly misread your post there but it got me thinking...................do carbs give you bread flu? :tongue:
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    People who assert that their method of diet and/or exercise is the *only* method and anything else is a waste of time. That makes no allowances for individual differences or genetics. I bite my tongue because it's usually useless to argue with a set mind.

I lost a "friend" on this website because of that. He started doing an ultra low carb, ketogenic type diet where he was eating less than 20 grams of carbs per day. That meant that he was eating like 50% protein, 45% fat, and 5% carbs or something like that. He also stopped counting calories completely. He would log his stuff everyday and was eating like 2500-3000 calories a day and it was mostly fatty stuff and protein. He was losing weight, too. I bit my tongue for a long time when he would go on about how I needed to stop eating carbs and I would lose weight faster too. I but my tongue when he told me carbs made me fat. I bit my tongue when he said that all sugar was evil, even that from an apple or orange. I bit my tongue when he said that you could still lose a ton of weight eating things with a lot of saturated fats like bacon and greasy cheeseburgers without the bun. I just let him do his thing I wasn't going to judge him....

And then one day, he decided to go to my profile page and paste YouTube videos of these low carb fanatic cult type people (not just people on diets like Atkins, but like really fanatical people) who were saying crap like carbs make you fat, give you cancer, cause you to be sicker longer, breed the flu virus, and make your joints ache in the cold weather. And then after that video he proceeded to tell me that I would never reach my goal weight and that I would never shed the fat if I continued to eat "poison" (yeah, that's what he called carbs).

I have no problems with low carb diets or low carb dieters in general, because we all do what works for our own bodies. I think it is just another tool to be able to use, just like the low fat diets. But people like the above person drive me insane and they seem to be creeping up more and more these days. It's like the really weird vegans who think that people who eat animal products only get sick because of those foods (disclaimer: I am NOT talking about all vegans, but I think we all know at least one "weird" one like that!).

I have even deleted some Facebook friends recently who turned out to be total food snobs and food Nazis. It's really pathetic!

I was on another fitness board where one guy was telling people to only eat fruit once a day because of their sugar content. Seriously?

My friends are pretty good about boundaries, but I've had those types of conversations with vegetarian friends. I think that when people find something that works for them, they get super enthusiastic and want everyone on board. The intentions are good, but once someone says "Good for you, but it's not for me", that's the cue to shut up about it.

The "my way or the highway" mindset that I spoke of is also the reason that I no longer read the weight/strength training threads on the Fitness board. It inevitably devolves into a spitting match between women who think lifting more than 5 pounds will turn them into Mr. Universe and the heavy lifters, who assert that anyone who doesn't lift X% of their max load or whatever are doomed to end up "skinny fat". Really? There's no middle ground? Again no allowance for individual goals and body types.
  • zudleymarie
    zudleymarie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    People who assert that their method of diet and/or exercise is the *only* method and anything else is a waste of time. That makes no allowances for individual differences or genetics. I bite my tongue because it's usually useless to argue with a set mind.

I lost a "friend" on this website because of that. He started doing an ultra low carb, ketogenic type diet where he was eating less than 20 grams of carbs per day. That meant that he was eating like 50% protein, 45% fat, and 5% carbs or something like that. He also stopped counting calories completely. He would log his stuff everyday and was eating like 2500-3000 calories a day and it was mostly fatty stuff and protein. He was losing weight, too. I bit my tongue for a long time when he would go on about how I needed to stop eating carbs and I would lose weight faster too. I but my tongue when he told me carbs made me fat. I bit my tongue when he said that all sugar was evil, even that from an apple or orange. I bit my tongue when he said that you could still lose a ton of weight eating things with a lot of saturated fats like bacon and greasy cheeseburgers without the bun. I just let him do his thing I wasn't going to judge him....

And then one day, he decided to go to my profile page and paste YouTube videos of these low carb fanatic cult type people (not just people on diets like Atkins, but like really fanatical people) who were saying crap like carbs make you fat, give you cancer, cause you to be sicker longer, breed the flu virus, and make your joints ache in the cold weather. And then after that video he proceeded to tell me that I would never reach my goal weight and that I would never shed the fat if I continued to eat "poison" (yeah, that's what he called carbs).

I have no problems with low carb diets or low carb dieters in general, because we all do what works for our own bodies. I think it is just another tool to be able to use, just like the low fat diets. But people like the above person drive me insane and they seem to be creeping up more and more these days. It's like the really weird vegans who think that people who eat animal products only get sick because of those foods (disclaimer: I am NOT talking about all vegans, but I think we all know at least one "weird" one like that!).

I have even deleted some Facebook friends recently who turned out to be total food snobs and food Nazis. It's really pathetic!

Ugh. I am on a lower carb diet, but that is because I have to be due to my insulin resistance. I would LOVE to be able to eat more carbs, and anyone who can and still lose weight...I'm jealous! :) Those type of people who throw that stuff around and say, "You've got to eat this one way" are annoying as *kitten*.
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Girls bashing guys who they think are being creepy by trying to friend them. Either block them or ignore them. You just look like an attention wh*re who wants everyone to know that guys are trying to be friends with you but OMG you're just like, way too good to even give them the time of day and want everyone to know it...like, OMG.

People that call other people stupid and tell them they are doing everything wrong. Are you a doctor, RN, registered nutritionist, or personal trainer? If not than shut it and let people learn things for themselves...or answer their questions however stupid you think them to be and be supportive....You weren't born with all the amazing knowledge you posses, you had to start somewhere to...
    Most users on this site are women. I quit trying to friend any for fear of them thinking I was "after" them!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Vegans, the lifestyle that harms none, really?
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Religion is like a penis. Here are some basic rules for the use of both:

Don't pull it out in public.

Don't wave it about senselessly.

Don't brag about how big or great yours is.

Don't rub it in people's faces.

Don't try to beat people over the head with it.

Don't threaten people with it.

Don't try to shove it down anyone's throat.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Girls bashing guys who they think are being creepy by trying to friend them. Either block them or ignore them. You just look like an attention wh*re who wants everyone to know that guys are trying to be friends with you but OMG you're just like, way too good to even give them the time of day and want everyone to know it...like, OMG.

People that call other people stupid and tell them they are doing everything wrong. Are you a doctor, RN, registered nutritionist, or personal trainer? If not than shut it and let people learn things for themselves...or answer their questions however stupid you think them to be and be supportive....You weren't born with all the amazing knowledge you posses, you had to start somewhere to...
    Most users on this site are women. I quit trying to friend any for fear of them thinking I was "after" them!

You don't need to be afraid if you don't act stupid! I had this one guy friend me and then start talking to me through messages asking me the things you'd ask on a first date. I responded to one of them with "I am engaged and getting married to the man I love on July 10." He then deleted me from his friends list and I haven't heard from him since. I guess it is sleazes like that who give women the impression that men all act like that, but from my perspective, if you have never come off that way, then I wouldn't think of you that way. :flowerforyou:
  • Lyadeia
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I feel that way about veganism and any other way of eating that people do for "moral" reasons. I used to laugh at them while I munched on my big fat cheeseburger, but lately it just pisses me off with some of their "better than you" attitudes.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

Does "Don't pull it out in public" mean I can't read my Bible on the train any more? :huh:
  • Lyadeia
    Options

Does "Don't pull it out in public" mean I can't read my Bible on the train any more? :huh:

No, silly, don't take things so personally and seriously...

It's obvious that he was talking about the people that try to jam their beliefs down everyone's throat, and he said "religion" not "Christianity" so that goes for everyone else too...

Please lighten up. It's chit-chat, fun and games...
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

No, silly, don't take things so personally and seriously...

It's obvious that he was talking about the people that try to jam their beliefs down everyone's throat, and he said "religion" not "Christianity" so that goes for everyone else too...

Please lighten up. It's chit-chat, fun and games...

I know. I was just being a trouble maker. :bigsmile:
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    When people don't actually read the original post. Their response sounds pretty silly.

Also, people who are just trying to stir up trouble.

Grammer doesn't even bother me that much... which is really a shocker because I minored in English and it's one of my biggest pet peaves.

EDIT: I totally agree with all of the above!

Grammar even... :tongue: Sorry, I couldn't resist! :smile:

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. I teach English and I can't spell, so its okay!

That being said, I hate the lack of a spell check button on the forums! And when someone posts a question/issue but never posts again.