Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    @niki-- thanks for the link and information you shared above. #5 is what I struggle with. I love protein, but still don't manage to eat enough most days.

Karen, the test they did with protein showed it was only a modest increase that was needed to satisfy hunger longer ... they only increased the protein in the meal by 10%.
  • AlyssaAnne03
    AlyssaAnne03 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I'm 23 and have been over weight all my life but now I feel it's out of hand. I'm 100 lbs over weight and I have no clue where to start!

Just start with healthy choices, knowing how much you're eating, more water and less sugary drinks, and increased activity! :)
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Today, one of my Chinese sons asked me about sumo wrestlers and I said they went out of their way to be as fat as possible. He said, "Like you?" Gee, thanks kid. :/

That reminds me of my son telling me he was comforted to know that if we had a famine I would live longer than his friend's mom who was skinnier than me.

Ha!
  • vxCricketxv
    vxCricketxv Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I'm 23 and have been over weight all my life but now I feel it's out of hand. I'm 100 lbs over weight and I have no clue where to start!

One bite at a time. :smile: Every good choice adds up every day! Lots of water too.
  • vxCricketxv
    vxCricketxv Posts: 27 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @skinnyjeanzbound Wow! That's awesome, I would love to be a regular runner. I'll get there. Any tips for a newbie? I started the couch 2 5k routine. Seems to be working.

@tootsanderson I can sympathize. No filter is right. My son ran up to me and patted my belly and giggled something out. I only heard the word big, and I just smiled at him.

@trinati2001 oh! Goodluck, painting is so much fun! I'm on my way next week to one! Makes me want to take it up all the time.

Anyone have some pointers for weekend exercises with toddler accompaniment? He helps keep my steps up, but maybe some mommy and me videos?
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    lilacnine wrote: »
    @tootsanderson I can sympathize. No filter is right. My son ran up to me and patted my belly and giggled something out. I only heard the word big, and I just smiled at him.

Well, I've been trying to train him not to call people fat, because Chinese people have no insult filter. They'll just say anything. So I've spent the last two years telling them it's rude to say people are ugly, stupid, or fat, which they'll happy throw out to complete strangers. I have convinced them to stop spitting and stop trying to pee in public, so there's that.

• badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @Nikion901 I absolutely believe in the satiating power of protein. Protein with every meal, and prioritize meeting that macro goal over any other, and I, at least, never feel hungry.

@lilacnine I've been running for about a month. This far, I've found it fun, but frustrating. Seems like for every good solid successful run, there's three where a joint or muscle starts acting up halfway through, some article of clothing chafes, the weather is uncooperative, or I just can't get a good rhythm going.

Today was a lot of successes on the cooking front. I made a frittata that was so filling I only had one 160 calorie slice for lunch. Then I made a simple parmesan polenta for dinner that I liked so much I had double polenta rather than eat the blueberry crisp I'd baked for dessert. And I am a pastry/dessert fiend!
  • trinati2001
    trinati2001 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    @lilacnine I did couch to 5k. Since I am the slowest runner ever it didn't get me up to 5 k but it did get me up to running for 30 minutes straight! I love that app. I did run a 5k race and was able to finish without walking. Hope your able to stick with the app until you are also able to run for 30 straight.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @trinati-- I also did c25k and found it frustrating that the schedule always assumed I could run a 10 minute mile pace. Even after 5 years and many races, I've never run a 5k in 30 minutes. Oh, and I love those painting parties!

@badnoodle -- It took me a awhile to accept that I wouldn't get better/faster/stronger with each run. There's so much that affects whether or not we have a good run-- nutrition, hydration, sleep, muscle fatigue, and of course all the little aches and pains you mentioned-- I feel like it's an endless list. I've learned to enjoy the good days and use the bad ones as a learning experience.

@toots-- You are a saint.

@lilacnine -- The most basic tip is make sure you have good running shoes that you were fitted for at a running specialty store. It's a bit more expensive to buy shoes there, but it's worth avoiding injury, and once you know your shoe needs, you can buy subsequent pairs online or at discount stores. My second tip is that if you hit a point where you can't run for the time frame on c25k, slow down. My biggest mistake when going through that program was trying to go too fast, too soon.

@brionnabailey23 -- welcome! You've already gotten some great advice here, so I will just add that the support of this thread is a great place to start. :smile:

AFM-- As I mentioned previously to celtik, I joined the Amazing Race summer challenge she told us about. I'm looking forward to some added motivation. I used to join group challenges on here all the time--not sure why I got away from that.

This weekend was kind of a bust fitness and nutrition-wise. Yesterday, one of my friends had a house-warming party. I didn't have time in the morning to walk gunner b/c I went early to help her set up. I stayed all day and spent the night there. It was so much fun, but I definitely was NOT within my calorie allowance. Today, I helped her clean up some more this morning, then had to hurry to meet my family for lunch. Once we got home from that, I totally crashed on the couch and when I woke up it was 6:30! I will at least take gunner for a walk now that the sun is starting to go down taking an edge off the heat.

General Goals:
    1. Take donations to GW
    2. Do something about weeds
    3. Get car detailed
    4. Make doctor/dentist appointments
    5. Clean files of 2015 paperwork
    6. File 2016 paperwork
    7. Take winter coat to cleaners
    8. Find someone to repair shed

Fitness Goals for the month of June:
    Visit gym of run outside minimum of 10 times 5/10
    Run at least 11/25 miles

You vs Year Challenge:
    179 k done/ 821 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner
    Mon-- walk gunner + gym
    Tues-- walk gunner
    Wed-- walk gunner + gym
    Thurs-- walk gunner
    Fri-- walk gunner + gym
    Sat-- walk gunner
  • jaded33jade
    jaded33jade Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    So sorry I haven't been around lately. I get annoyed with not loosing and it makes me depressed. But I'm back now and trying. Tomorrow our pool liner will be installed and I can finally do the physical therapy exercises I am supposed to be doing. :) and cool off in the heat...that's always a pluss. ;) I have gained 3lbs back, I feel like a yo yo because I'll loose it and 3 days later its back and i loose it again :( so depressing. But lets give it another go at it. I may get angry again but I'll not give up.
  • trinati2001
    Options
    @jaded33jade when my weight was yo yoing I started to drink more water. I felt like salt was really effecting my weight. I've noticed that my weight seems to be a lot more consistent now that I drink 48-64oz of water a day.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Monday - Check In (how are you doing? Had any successes or struggles this week-end?)

I had a small amount of weight loss this week, don't really know if it is more water weight gone from the reduced edema in my feet and legs or if it is actually some fat/muscle weight gone. Will know better as this trend continues or not.

This weekend was very restful, and I need to work on that being less so next week.
  • jaded33jade
    jaded33jade Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    @trinati2001 I wish that could be how it was in my case also. But all I drink is water (except yesterday I drank 2 diet cokes lol) but Usually I only drink water a lot. As for the salt I don't usually eat any salt and the salt I do eat is sea salt I have swelling all over my body so I try to stay away from all salt. I am glad you are drinking more water and cutting back on salt. It does help a lot. And not to mention water is good for us ;)

@Nikion901 I am sorry you had some sturggles last week, Hopefully this week will have less obsticles for you. Happy for your weight loss every little bit helps :)
  • pinkstarberry
    pinkstarberry Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend!

I didn't notice much weight loss last week since I think I was bloated before my period, and I'm still on it now but at least in the past couple days I've noticed some change on the scale :smiley:

It's very hot here right now so I'm having to break up my workouts into smaller stints, and today I did three 20-minute workouts on the exercise bike. Is exercise still effective even when you have to do it in smaller amounts broken up like that? In this heat (my apartment has no A/C) I can only stand to do 20-30 mins at a time on the bike. I had a fan on me and was drinking plenty of water throughout, but I would still overheat at around 20-30 mins.

Also I noticed a small non-scale victory today... even though I'm still in the 260s I can see the outline of my collarbones already. :smiley: It was always one of my favourite features on myself so I'm really happy to see them again - it motivates me to work harder so they become more and more prominent!

I hope everyone stays cool in this summer heat! :)
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @pinkstarberry --Yes, exercise is just as effective broken up. A calorie burned is a calorie burned! :smile: I applaud you for working out in no AC. It's really hot here in Chicago as well, and I'm so happy I have a gym membership b/c running outside in 90 degree weather would not be fun. Great NSV!! Yay for visible collarbones!

@niki-- My weekend was very food-filled and I need to work on that being less so next weekend.

@jaded-- I'm jealous of your pool! :)

Monday Check-in:
    Scale is up this morning and I know it's just because of the sodium in all the processed junk I ate this weekend, but it makes me angry at myself for eating it.

On the plus side, I was able to up my weights on my bench press today and the squat position didn't hurt my shoulder, so I'm going to add some weight to the bar next time.

General Goals:
    1. Take donations to GW
    2. Do something about weeds
    3. Get car detailed
    4. Make doctor/dentist appointments
    5. Clean files of 2015 paperwork
    6. File 2016 paperwork
    7. Take winter coat to cleaners
    8. Find someone to repair shed

Fitness Goals for the month of June:
    Visit gym of run outside minimum of 10 times 6/10
    Run at least 13/25 miles

You vs Year Challenge:
    182 k done/ 818 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner
    Wed-- walk gunner + gym
    Thurs-- walk gunner
    Fri-- walk gunner + gym
    Sat-- walk gunner

• virginislander2
    virginislander2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Monday - Check In (how are you doing? Had any successes or struggles this week-end?)

I lost last week, then celebrated by eating and drinking things I should not. I have not gotten in the scale for fear of frustration. I commit to go to the gym 4x this week.
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Checking in! Started Amazing Race challenge today, looks like a fun challenge, I'll be keeping my eye on skinnyjeans! Did OK over the weekend because I was able to plan ahead for the father's day lunch and not over do it. Unfortunately the grilled chicken option at the restaurant wasn't their best offering. Oh well, I had room for a little scoop of peanut butter ripple, so I was happy.

I have a really busy week coming up - driving all over the state for meetings and trainings, so just know I'm cheering you on even if I don't stop in to write!
  • trinati2001
    Options

This has overall been a good week for me. Even though we had a kids bday party and fathers day BBQ at our house we made good choices. I over ate the ribs, but since we rarely have them I was willing to gain the weight to indulge. I was up just a little today but I'm still down 2 lbs for the week.

It was hot here today. I live in the Bay Area and my work is right on the water. I went for a walk on the shoreline and thought that it would've cooler. Boy was I wrong. 94 degrees and humid (well for here which meant it was probably 15% haha I know that's nothing for those of you with real humidity). I can say that I've never been happier to return to work. But the view was wonderful and the bay was so tranquil today.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Tuesday - Goals (do you have any Goals you want to update us?)
    Yesss!! I absolutely do have a goal that I'm having a very hard time working on ... getting my butt out of this chair I sit in while in front of the computer and getting the KP chores done!

On the main reason I am here ... I don't have any meat defrosted, and ate an Ahi tuna steak yesterday, so I think today it needs to be a vegetarian day. I am working up some sort of vegetable goulash to have with pasta ... it will have a garlic, onion, mushrooms, celery, bell pepper and tomato saute' as a sauce for the pasta, and some parm cheese grated over with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes and fresh minced parsley strewn over the top. I will eat the entire recipe as my dinner; so I better keep the pasta pot a small one..

I've noticied a fasting blood glucose pattern lately ... if I eat dinner at 8PM as my last meal, the sugars are much better in the morning than when I eat dinner at 6PM as my last meal, or even if I have a dinner at 5 PM and a small snack at 8:30PM (half a PB sandwich with half a glass of milk). So I am have decided to create a habit of eating a light supper in the evening rather than at dinner-hour. I really want to get a tighter control on the Diabetes.

That's the main reason I am even working to lose weight, the second reason is my aching joints.

@celtikgirl and @skinnyjeanzbound ...have fun on the Amazing Challenge. I was in it for the Spring but couldn't do many of the exercise related challenges ... still I hung in and did well in my team until my team was absorbed into another one. We suffered with no leadership on the team and I think that's why so many people didn't stick with it and it hurt out team. When I am more physically fit, I will try another challenge from that group because it was a lot of fun, just kind of non-teamy.

@jaded33jade ... if you have water retention problems, like I do, then that could very well be why your weight fluctuates as it does. I need to weigh myself every morning and if it is up by 3 pounds from the day before then I need to take extra medicine that day. However, I have noticed an eating trend that I'm trying to break ... and that is, I do good on my dense carbs for a period of time and drop some weight, feel lighter in my body and looser all around: so what do I do? Give in to cravings for more dense or very dense carbs and suddenly I'm not loose and light feeling but full and my tissue is rigid cause I've overeaten on foods that affect me that way. Bummer. That's why I have to be so careful with the pasta meal i am planning for today.

@badnoodle ...I get an adequate amount of protein from the variety of food I eat, not so much from meat/seafood as I've never been big on that type of protein. However, I am trying very hard to increase animal protein because I do believe it has longer staying power than that found in other foods.
    NY Niki
    Follow through with consistent focus
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Good Morning.

@Karen and @Celtigirl ~Good luck and have fun with the Amazing Race Challenge, I’ll have to check that out next time—maybe I’ll be released to full activity by then.

@Niki ~I’m actually having a vegetarian week this week. For lunches I made a Mexican quinoa which is quinoa, black beans, corn, a jalapeno, tomatoes, onion and some spices. For dinner I made lasagna stuffed zucchini—I made a homemade marinara then sautéed spinach, onion, garlic and mixed with ricotta and parmesan. I stuffed that into some hallowed out zucchini that I halved—topped with the marinara and mozzarella and baked. Super yummy! :yum:

@trinati2001 ~What I wouldn’t give for 15% humidity around here! It’s hot here, but this time of year we have high humidity (60-80%) plus a dew point above 70%. We haven’t even hit the summer temps yet—when that hits, it will be downright miserable outside. :sweat:

@Karen ~I’m so glad that your shoulder is allowing you to re-introduce weight lifting! :smiley:

AFM~Busy is the only way to describe me right now. I’m still trying to wrap up the budget at work and just a couple more days to finalize it. Surgery is Friday; I’ll know tomorrow what time I have to be there. I finished my errands yesterday after work and just need to finish up a few more things to get the house in order (i.e. fresh linens on beds, vacuum, wash floors, and laundry). I think Zoe is looking forward to much needed lap time, since I’ve been so busy lately. :wink: