June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Amyl32283 wrote: »
    Will there be a July challenge?

Yes. It's never too late to join this one with a modest goal !
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    My advise, scratch the specific workouts in the plan. As you increase mileage, just keep EVERYTHING at an easy conversational pace. Don't worry about tempos or fartleks or any other "speedwork". Increasing mileage is major enough. And all you want to worry about is building up aerobic power and getting your body used to the TOF (time on feet). Threshold training and lactate clearing and VO2 max and brain to muscle speed coordination all won't help until you have your base. Just focus on nice easy pace and good form. Light on the feet, smaller steps higher cadence, keeping the body fully relaxed as you run, stuff like that.

Thanks for the advice. I'll Just put on some Easy miles tomorrow, then Friday is rest and Sat is my last Long Run(looking at like maybe 9 miles) and an Easy 3-4 miles recovery on Sun. Next week is all short (40m-1h) runs T-Th, and then I'll be taking F/Sat/Sun all totally off except walking with my wife an little man, so I'm well rested for the HM the following Monday
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Today's run was 1 mile warmup run, 3 miles of 5 hill repeats, 1 mile fast run home for 5 miles total running (and a .2 mile walk home to cool down). The first 4 hill repeats I was getting faster and faster, in fact I set 1st/2nd/3rd PRs on Strava. I had to take a little extra break before that last hill because running back downhill wasn't enough. Thankfully an awesome breeze blew up and was soooo refreshing and I made it up the 5th time although slower than the previous 4. My max before was 4 times up so I was determined to make 5 this time.

The hill I was using, and have used a few times before, is .3 miles long at 2.4% incline (39 feet climb). That sooooo doesn't seem like much to me, but it feels hard enough! Total elevation gain was 208ft. I'm in awe of @ROBOTFOOD 's 603ft in 3 miles :-o @kristinegift Your hills were great too!

June 1 - 2 mile run because NATIONAL RUNNING DAY
    June 2 - Rest day
    June 3 - 54 min pilates........10k run
    June 4 - 3 mile run
    June 5 - 7 miles running with an 8:56 virtual 5k in the middle - Not my all time 5k PR but a PR for this year :)
    June 6 - 38 min lower body pilates, stretching and foam rolling
    June 7 - 20 min upper body weights, 20 min low impact cardio
    June 8 - Rest day
    June 9 - Rest day (I should be working out in the morning before work, but summer has me wanting to sleep in!)
    June 10 - 5k run
    June 11 - 6 miles trail running, 45 min strength/pilates/stretching
    June 12 - 3 mile run
    June 13 - 45 min combo workout of moderate cardio and light strength training
    June 14 - 20 min light cardio x2 (AM/PM)
    June 15 - 3 mi run......15 min lower body pilates, 10 min stretching/rolling, 5 min arms
    June 16 - 30 min indoor cardio
    June 17 - 5 mile run
    June 18 - 3.5 mile run, 45 min pilates/strength/stretching
    June 19 - 4 mile run
    June 20 - 30 min indoor cardio A.M.......30 mins pilates/strength/stretching.....20 more mins light cardio P.M.
    June 21 - 3 mile run A.M......20 min light cardio P.M.
    June 22 - 5 miles running including 3 miles hill repeats, 30 min pilates/stretching

June run goal: 53.8 of 50 miles
    Beat the heat and passed my goal!

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Had a really awful workout today. Don't know how but I made the mistake of not eating all day and I ate then realized I had to go run in 40 min and I was feeling so full. The run went fine, felt a little hard and hr was way up but considering the humidity and the +90 degrees it was fine. The problem was that as soon as I stopped I felt like throwing up and had to spend about 20 min concentrating on not throwing up. The constant sweating didn't help at all.

Date.....Distance..Avg hr/Pace/km
    June 1 - 6.1 km - 156/5:47
    June 2 - 5.5 km - 154/6:00
    June 3 - 5.0 km - 153/6:12
    June 4 - 7.0 km - 184/4:25
    June 5 - 6.0 km - 143/6:27
    June 6 - rest
    June 7 - 6.0 km - 143/6:13
    June 8 - 6.8 km - 148/6:11 (Hot)
    June 9 - 5.8 km - 150/5:58
    June 10 - rest
    June 11 - 5.0 km - 184/4:26
    June 12 - 6.0 km - 149/6:05
    June 13 - rest
    June 14 - 7.6 km - 149/6:08
    June 15 - 6.0 km - 150/6:03
    June 16 - 6.0 km - 150/6:12
    June 17 - 7.0 km - 152/6:21 (Hell)
    June 18 - 5.8 km - 150/Slow, I didn't care
    June 19 - 11.0km - 155/6:06 (Easy hell)
    June 20 - rest
    June 21 - 7.0 km - 178/4.37 (tempo)
    June 22 - 6.0 km - 155/6:06

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Y'all did *not* pray for my knees like I asked you to.

Just 4.25 soul-sucking miles out of a planned 7.

Oh well. Tomorrow is a rest day and hopefully I'll be less creaky on Friday.

@Elise4270 That is good news about your son--I hope he sticks with it. I've known a couple of wayward young men who were changed much for the better by a few years on a boat or a ship.

@instantmartian I have two kids graduating from high school and one from college next June. Somehow I don't think the festival circuit is happening for me in this life time! (Oooh...unless I can convince them that it's a graduation present, lol!)

exercise.png
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays I must have missed that prayer request but I'll get right on that :-D

@AdrianChr92 I could not run that soon after a large meal! Even 4 hours after a large meal I get cramps. Of course maybe my idea of stuffed and your idea of stuffed isn't the same thing ;)
  • checkthestove
    checkthestove Posts: 44 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Done, plus some
  • 1TheQueenB
    1TheQueenB Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    6/1 - 5.11 miles on National / Global Running Day! Woot!
    6/2 - 4.55 miles. Gorgeous morning!
    6/3 - Pre-HM rest day. Too bad, it is a beautiful morning! So, I am drinking extra water and I ate donuts!
    6/4 - 13.3 miles at Dam to Dam Half. It was sunny and hot. Sun was brutal. Running was pretty good, but my splits went up gradually over the final 4 miles. Atmosphere was good pre and post-race. Had fun!
    6/5 - Rest day + lots of kids' sports.
    6/6 - 4.01 mile "recovery" run. I am not good at intentionally keeping my pace slow. I intended 9-9.5 minute miles.
    6/7 - 5.35 miles. Longer than intended, because I didn't plan my route and had to get back home. Oh well, bonus 0.85 mile.
    6/8 - 3.3 miles on treadmill, then upper body weights and abs.
    6/9 - 4.5 miles on treadmill (Trek class). Cut it a bit short as a pain in my "hip" was causing me to alter my stride. Not sure where it came from, hoping it was just sore.
    6/10 - 3.78 miles in the hot, humid weather. It was 73° at 5 a.m.! Again, shortened due to hip pain. Dr. Google says it might be greater trochanteric bursitis. Anti-inflammatories, extra ITB and hammy stretches and a reduction in mileage are in order.
    6/11 - Rest day, plus stretches and anti-inflammatory med. Lots of housework though.
    6/12 - Ditto.
    6/13 - 3.5 miles, still hot and humid. Again, hip pain started. This time, I stopped immediately.
    6/14 - Decided I am going to take a break for a week or two, try to start July fresh. So, today I went to a Bodypump class and then rode a stationary bike. Gonna be sore.
    6/15 - Sore! Went light with the weights in Bodypump, still shuffling like an old man. I used to do it 2-3 days a week, but kinda dropped off about 18 months ago.
    6/16 - Still sore, but went back to Bodypump and the stationary bike. I miss running :-(
    6/17 - Spin Class. It was pretty fun, got to see some of my running buddies at the Y.
    6/19 - Bodypump class...harder at 3:30 on a Sunday afternoon than at 5:00 a.m.
    6/21 - Bodypump class and a short, ginger 1.5 miles on an indoor track. Didn't hurt, but felt weird. May try a 3-miler later this week.

Hope you all are doing well! Stay cool...the heat and humidity have been brutal!

Man, you keep busy!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Just 9 easy slow miles through the woods this afternoon. Sore from yesterday's speedwork, but should be ok by tomorrow's tempo run double.

6/1 - 4 miles
    6/2 - 8 miles
    6/3 - 13.5 miles
    6/5 - 13.5 miles
    6/6 - 9 miles
    6/7 - 10 miles
    6/9 - 12 miles
    6/10 - 9 miles
    6/11 - 8 miles
    6/12 - 12 miles
    6/13 - 4 miles
    6/14 - 1 mile
    6/15 - 4 miles
    6/17 - 5.5 miles
    6/19 - 6 miles
    6/20 - 5 miles
    6/21 - 13 miles
    6/22 - 9 miles

Total: 146.5 miles
    Goal: 200 miles
    Remaining: 53.5 miles

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Legs were feeling tired today after last nights speedwork. Plus I did an hour of yoga before running with lots of leg balancing. So, just a 22 minute easy run. Miles this week up to 9.9 and for June I'm at 83% of my goal with 8 days left!

exercise.png
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    My wayward son is going to join the Navy. He ran a mile last night! Said it was easier than he thought it'd be. Hoping we have another runner in the family, least til February when he's scheduled for boot "in the rear" camp. Horrible timing that I can't run with him... I wonder if.... just maybe.... ah, what's the worst that could happen!
    @Elise4270 Put a RollerSkate on the Booted Foot ( or a Skateboard ) and do a one legged Run and Glide >:) With your son. Running will be good for your son as prep for Boot Camp.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    My wayward son is going to join the Navy. He ran a mile last night! Said it was easier than he thought it'd be. Hoping we have another runner in the family, least til February when he's scheduled for boot "in the rear" camp. Horrible timing that I can't run with him... I wonder if.... just maybe.... ah, what's the worst that could happen!
    @Elise4270 Put a RollerSkate on the Booted Foot ( or a Skateboard ) and do a one legged Run and Glide >:) With your son. Running will be good for your son as prep for Boot Camp.

Oh I wish! Maybe I could sit in a wagon and he could pull me!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    My advise, scratch the specific workouts in the plan. As you increase mileage, just keep EVERYTHING at an easy conversational pace. Don't worry about tempos or fartleks or any other "speedwork". Increasing mileage is major enough. And all you want to worry about is building up aerobic power and getting your body used to the TOF (time on feet). Threshold training and lactate clearing and VO2 max and brain to muscle speed coordination all won't help until you have your base. Just focus on nice easy pace and good form. Light on the feet, smaller steps higher cadence, keeping the body fully relaxed as you run, stuff like that.

Thanks for the advice. I'll Just put on some Easy miles tomorrow, then Friday is rest and Sat is my last Long Run(looking at like maybe 9 miles) and an Easy 3-4 miles recovery on Sun. Next week is all short (40m-1h) runs T-Th, and then I'll be taking F/Sat/Sun all totally off except walking with my wife an little man, so I'm well rested for the HM the following Monday

I started this evening 49 posts behind, and have caught up to this one. I second @Stoshew71 on running everything easy. When things are feeling a little iffy, even before it rises to the point of feeling injured, speed work needs to be the first thing to go. I've come back from an ankle sprain while running 30 miles per week; but all the miles had to be easy. Gradually, ever so gradually, I could add stuff a little faster . . . but not until I had several weeks of nothing but easy.

In your case, which doesn't sound as severe as an ankle sprain, just running everything easy till race day should be enough. At first, it will feel like a relief. Later, it will feel like you're slacking off. Still later, it will feel frustrating that you have to keep it easy. Keep it easy anyway. Then on race day, you'll be a coiled spring ready to give it your best.

There are several schools of thought about the day or two before the race. One school says take a rest day before a major race like your first half. Another school says do something short and easy to loosen up. Yet another school says do a 2 mile shakedown run at target race pace. *shrug* If your plan doesn't specify, you just have to decide what makes the most sense to you.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Thanks @MobyCarp !

I'm definitely going to keep it all easy. I scrubbed the last 2 "speed" workouts for equivalent times at E. Mileage will be a little less, but I think I'm pretty much where I'm going to be physically for the HM anyway, other than healing up. Just 3 more runs this week, and 2-3 next week and I'm done with this training work up.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I'm going to do 13 miles again. It's getting hot here in Missouri and with the warmer weather my gym likes to do more crazy-intense workouts. So depending on how flubbery my legs are feeling afterward I'll try to get a c25k in. It's a slow process :disappointed:

6/1- .05 miles
    6/2- .25 miles
    6/6- 1.87 miles
    6/21- .75 miles

Update: injured my leg a few weeks ago. Unlikely I'll get 13 miles in this month.

exercise.png

• kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Got in 4.5 miles today. The temperature was perfect with very little humidity plus I got to sleep in a little. Neeko and I had a good time going to the park, around it and back with no issues other than a policeman laughing at me because I had to bring Neeko into the ladies room to refill my water bottle. I was able to lock into a comfortable slow pace and maintain it the whole time and as a bonus took 1.5 minutes off my per mile pace over last the last time I ran this route.

Date Run Totals
    6/1 - 2 mi - 2 mi
    6/3 - 3 mi - 5 mi
    6/4 - 3 mi - 8 mi
    6/7 - 3 mi - 11 mi
    6/11- 3 mi - 14 mi
    6/12- 2 mi - 16 mi
    6/14- 3 mi - 19 mi
    6/18- 4 mi - 23 mi
    6/22- 4 mi - 27 mi
    Goal 40 miles

Races :