Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-upside-of-a-weight-loss-plateau/

Thursday Truth ... I needed to read the article I've included a link for ... hope it helps you too.
  • atitagain1958
    atitagain1958 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    jlolsen516 I hear you. I'm in a similar circumstance but for different health reasons. I can't go off my medication and it makes losing weight extremely difficult!! I too have over 100 pounds to lose. Ugh!! I get frustrated too. I think that's normal. But it sounds like we're both educating ourselves on healthy eating to make better choices and we're both here!! So, we're doing what we need to do...all we can do. We need to be proud of ourselves for our efforts and not give up if the scales don't move as fast as we'd like!!

Thursday-Truth...I feel guilty when I'm having a "good" day and I don't do more around the house because I need to "pace myself" as the doctor says to have more consistent energy every day due to my CF/FM.
  • angeleyes4643
    angeleyes4643 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hi all ! I hope it's ok I stopped by. I saw your thread on my newsfeed. I'm recently returning to MFP. It's been a few years. Last go-round I lost almost 70 lbs and was doing great. Got sick and had to stop zumbaing. 4 years later I gained back 70+. I need to lose 100-125 lbs but I'd be thrilled with 50-75. Also, I was just diagnosed as prediabetic so that was the needle that got me back here.
    Not sure I can read all 813 pages but do plan to go back at least a month or two. Hope everyone is having a great day !
  • MeLanceUppercut
    MeLanceUppercut Posts: 116 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thursday-Truth : I had a soda at lunch. Well half a soda. I started drinking it and reading motivation posts on the message board. I put the cap on the bottle and tossed it. I feel good about that, but I feel like I haven't done as well today and Wednesday as I did Monday and Tuesday. I'm trying to remember a bad day or two won't kill me. Just need to learn fro:smile:

@tootsanderson I understand the hermit lifestyle lol. I work in a basement with no windows. In the winter I'm lucky if I see daylight at all. But don't get discouraged! Look for the victories in everyday actions. Sounds like you've got a plan and that's awesome!:smile:
  • mickey2942
    mickey2942 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Pout.

Okay, I fell off the wagon last night. But it is so hard to live in a house stuffed with goodies, ice cream, crossaints, cinnamon rolls...I told my SO, who also needs to lose weight, and he told me it is not his fault that I don't have any willpower.

Thanks. Whatever. I told him he has a bad attitude and is unsupportive.

Moving forward with the plan...I will arrange to go to the gym every night after work, and stay there, less temptation for cheating.
  • atitagain1958
    Options
    @angeleyes4643 I feel your pain. Welcome back! I'm a newbie to this thread too. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. Lost, gained back, now here for health reasons the heaviest I've ever been!! It sure puts a different spin on things!! Well, with each other's support, I know we're both gonna do this!!! Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the newlings!!

@mickey-- I'm sorry your SO isn't more supportive. My husband is the primary cook in our household, and really loves to cook comfort foods full of butter and cream and starchy carbs. When I first started MFP, I had my calories set at 1200/day, and I just couldn't eat that stuff and stay within the limit. After I skipped his meals and made my own healthier dinner a few times, he came around and started trying to substitute healthier ingredients. It really helped a lot. As far as junk food goes, I'm lucky that my weakness is sweets and his is salt. However, when the sweet tooth hits him, he buys candy and puts it in a cabinet I never go in. I know it's there, but it's out of sight which helps. I also buy healthier versions to keep me away from my major weakness which is ice cream. My favorites are Fruitare Mango Bars and WW Raspberry Dark Chocolate ice cream bars. Could you find a special place your SO could stash the non-refrigerated junk food, so it's not as tempting? If you really want to get extreme, you could buy a lock-box to which only he has the key. Who knows, maybe having to unlock the sweets will deter him from eating as much junk as well...

@MeLanceUppercut -- Great job tossing the soda!! We all have days when we're not as committed, but you're right about learning from it. Also, I used to only eat healthy in a purposeful way when I was "on a diet" which never lasted for more than a couple of days. Then my eating habits would slip back to "normal." Now my normal IS the healthier eating with an occasional day or two of less healthy eating. That's our success-- we've changed our norm. :)

@toots-- congrats on meeting your deadline!!

@niki-- great article! Cheers to no longer being a "beginner" at this weight loss thing! :)

@sara-- great to see you back!! I love your goal for the Star Wars convention. It's always motivating to have an event on the calendar. My goal right now is to lose this 10 lb gain before school started in August, Then I would like to lose 20 more before my 30th HS Reunion next July. Boy, typing that made me feel really old!

Thursday Truth:
    I'm feeling especially lazy today. However, my scale nudged a little bit further down to 195 this morning and I want to keep it going in that direction. So-- time to get off this computer and get moving!

It's June 30th, so start thinking about July goals!!

General Goals:
    1. Change water filter on fridge
    2. Make doctor/dentist appointments
    3. Take winter coat to cleaners
    4. Find someone to repair shed

Fitness Goals for the month of June:
    Visit gym of run outside minimum of 10 times 9/10
    Run at least 23/25 miles

You vs Year Challenge:
    198 k done/ 802 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE + run outside DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE + yard work DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE TWICE + gym DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner DONE
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym or run outside
    Fri-- walk gunner + mow lawn
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym

• tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options

@toots-- congrats on meeting your deadline!!

Thanks! It was a huge pain in my butt.
  • pinkstarberry
    pinkstarberry Posts: 79 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @Nikion901 - That article was fantastic, thank you so much for sharing. I'm definitely bookmarking it for later when I'll inevitably be frustrated over hitting a plateau :smile:

@MeLanceUppercut - Haha, that is awesome! It takes a lot of willpower to throw out something you're enjoying! That's very inspiring and I'll have to keep it in mind the next time I'm tempted.

My Thursday confession is that I've been eating waaaay too much sodium lately, which I think is why my weight loss has stalled. I have a big weakness for salsa and soy sauce especially, and while they don't have many calories, they're loaded with sodium. :( I need to be more mindful of that instead of piling it on like I usually do (especially with soy sauce, I swear I could just chug it which is really gross I know haha)
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @pinkstarberry - My son used to do that, he would drink the soy sauce if I let him, and eat salt right out of the palm of his hand. Switching to low sodium soy sauce will help, and try making your own salsa - it's amazingly simple to make, 10x cheaper than buying it, and tastes way better. Then you can control your sodium and still enjoy the spicier side of life! Here's my Pico de Gallo recipe, eazy peazy:

2 or 3 medium tomatoes
    1/2 sweet or yellow onion (I like the sweet ones better)
    1-2 jalapenos (depending on how spicy you like it, remove the seeds first)
    1/2 bunch cilantro (you can leave this out if you don't like cilantro, but I love it! - or substitute parsley)
    salt to taste (1/2 tsp maybe, I never measure)

Chop all ingredients. I like a 1.5 to 1 ratio of tomato and onion but you can do more tomatoes or more onions. Finely dice the jalapenos. Chop the cilantro. Mix all together, salt to taste (start on the low side, it gets saltier as it sits). Takes about 5 minutes to make!
    Eat immediately or let stand in fridge for 30 minutes then stir. The salt will macerate the tomatoes a bit and create a really nice juice. Don't add more salt until you taste it. If you don't eat it all right away, this will last in the fridge for about 5 - 7 days.

I don't make salsa myself, but it would be easy enough to just throw all the above ingredients in a blender and roughly puree them into a salsa. You might want to use more tomatoes tho for salsa. You can also add lime juice and a clove or 2 of garlic for salsa, but I don't really like garlic in mine. I've also seen recipes that add olive oil to the salsa but I don't know why you would want to, it seems very unnecessary to me.

Thursday Truth - I never made it to the gym last night. I'll try to go tonight but I'm not sure I will. I did do physical therapy today so I got some strength and cardio in anyway.

Tracy
    TX

• GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Ugh! Why did I do it?!!!! Huge Frito Pie stuffed down my throat, now I feel like I have a 10 lb pumpkin sitting in my stomach!!! (oh, but it was good....) NO NO NO IT WAS NOT!!!! (yes it was, but not worth it!)!!!
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Thursday truth... Lately, I have been dreaming about all you can eat buffets, and waking up with a racing heart because dream-me has done something like eat an entire cake, or a chicken fried steak the size of my head.
  • cjbrummet
    cjbrummet Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am new to this group and just returning to mfp after a long absence. 7 years ago I started running with coworkers and started this to keep track of what I was eating to help me stay on course with my plan to lose weight and get healthy. I lost 65 lbs, wore size 12 and ran about 4 miles at a time at least 3 days a week. I felt great. I went on a cruise and knew I wouldn't stick to diet so I gave myself a bye for that week. Shortly after that I injured my back and wasn't up to running for 2 months after the cruise. Then it was winter and it was too cold to run outside, then one excuse after another I never got back to running. I tried to maintain the weight with diet only but fast food is just too convenient and I was eating it again and of course the weight gradually came back over the next 5 years. I still felt OK with myself because I was still 15 pounds less than my start weight. Then back to back I had to have 3 surgeries and here it is 7 years later and I am 15 pounds heavier than I have been my entire life. I was depressed and disappointed in myself.

In January I lost my brother and I decided to get back to my diet and start exercising. I even bought me a fancy fitness watch that can log all the exercise I was going to do. All I managed to do was give up sodas and eat less fast food, but hey it was a start. Needless to say I didn't really start until this May with my low carb (not as low as Atkins would like) and high protein diet and exercise (mostly walking for now but hope to run soon) has only been for the last 2 weeks and not consistently. But I am starting to see some real improvement on the scale, losing 21lbs since January.

I guess I wrote this because today is Thursday Truth (I know it's technically Friday, but I work nights and is not the next day until I go to sleep). I have to tell myself the truth that the excuses for not working out are not acceptable and I have to stick to my diet plan, even though my coworkers ordered in Italian I so wanted to give in and order Lasagna or Chicken Parmesan.

I read somewhere that it takes 4 to 6 weeks to develop a habit so lets hope that the next month goes by quickly so it isn't so difficult to stick to my plan. Wish me luck!
  • MeLanceUppercut
    MeLanceUppercut Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Friday - Fitness

Shooo today is my cheat day, but I'm still gonna be very conscious of what I consume. As for the weekend, tomorrow is going to be hard, as I'm going to a cook out. I'm going to make smart choices though and not over indulge. Sunday I plan on having a super healthy day. Maybe a nice afternoon smoothie
  • willgetfitmom
    willgetfitmom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    New here, sort of. I've used MFP before, but lost focus and assumed I didn't need to track. I've done good for a week and have three friends who logged more than 3 months. Here's to new habits @cjbrummet!!!!
  • willgetfitmom
    willgetfitmom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Friday fitness.. Walked 41 mins, didn't crave more mini-wheats. This weekend I will have a serving of cake and ice cream, but no more. We are celebrating my daughters 5th birthday!
  • atitagain1958
    Options
    @cjbrummet I know how it feels to lose and then gain it all back plus. Life just...happens! For me personally, I used exercise as a means to maintain my weight so when I broke my back and couldn't exercise, I got depressed and slowly gained the weight back. It took 2 years for my back to completely heal. I also felt disappointed in myself. Lost all my self confidence. Even convinced myself if I go through all that to lose the weight again, I would gain it back if I couldn't exercise for some reason. There's more to my story but that's not necessary. The thing is...we are BOTH here now. We are BOTH going to learn how to eat healthy and balance our eating and our exercise (at least I am) and we are BOTH gonna do GREAT!!! Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like. Sounds like we're in the same boat! You can take one oar, I'll take the other...we'll do this together!!
  • atitagain1958
    Options
    @willgetfitmom Yep, I've also learned how important tracking is! It seems redundant so you think, "I know this, I don't need to track anymore". However, slowly, those portion sizes get a wee bit bigger. We don't even notice it. We convince ourselves, one brownie won't hurt when you've already had a large muffin for breakfast. Yep, I've been there. I know I need to track. I need to balance my macros to feel good. WELCOME BACK!!! Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like, that goes for anyone here. A good support system really helps!!
  • wadwrich
    wadwrich Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I decided to try my hand at blogging and just did my first post. If anyone is just that bored feel free to read. A lot of it might be a little redundant to what I have posted in bits and pieces on this forum. Here ya go http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/wadwrich The more I talk/type and read about this stuff, the more it helps me to stay focused and motivated.