Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Parents- HPV vaccine for girls......yes or no?

nahmm83
nahmm83 Posts: 67 Member
My daughters receive vaccines, but I'm still undecided regarding the HPV vaccine.....I've done my research and their doctor is also adamant about them receiving the vaccine. However, I wanted to ask for your opinions on why you had (or didn't have) your daughter receive the HPV vaccine.

Replies

• loobe1066
    loobe1066 Posts: 206 Member
    Yes my daughter had the vaccine, no ill effects. As with any vaccine or medication there is the potential for adverse effects. But you have to weigh the risks against the benefits.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    nahmm83 wrote: »
    Thanks y'all. I really appreciate your concern, opinions, and honesty. Doctors and certain government agencies completely approve/endorse the vaccine, but certain professors in my med school as well as my niece's pediatrician that I've talked to informed me about the concerns that the AAP is having to overcome regarding the side affects. I have 5 daughters and it's very hard to come to terms with the fact that if they do receive the vaccine maybe all 5 of my girls will be fine or perhaps 1 of the 5 will not.....and that's a tough decision to make as a parent.

That would be confusing to have conflicting information! May I ask what are the concerns?
  • nahmm83
    @nutmegoreo my concern, as was the only concerns with the people opposed to it (that I personally spoke to) is the possibility of infertility. I just have to hope for the best.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited July 2016
    All's good! :smiley:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    @nutmegoreo my concern, as was the only concerns with the people opposed to it (that I personally spoke to) is the possibility of infertility. I just have to hope for the best.

Fair enough. Quick internet searches show information from all sides. I'm not anti-vax, but I think when something new is on the market it's appropriate to be a bit skeptical, although this one is now out for 10 years. Of course, there's also all the fear mongering that takes place as well (clearly visible within this thread, for example).

Have you seen any studies that link the vaccine with infertility?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Fair enough. Quick internet searches show information from all sides. I'm not anti-vax, but I think when something new is on the market it's appropriate to be a bit skeptical, although this one is now out for 10 years. Of course, there's also all the fear mongering that takes place as well (clearly visible within this thread, for example).

Have you seen any studies that link the vaccine with infertility?

Quick google search shows the opposition coming from anti-vax sites with their own agenda.

Which is why I didn't quote any of them :laugh:
  • nahmm83
    Just a couple, although, my friend works for a pharmaceutical company that no longer endorses the vaccine.....received a lot of complaints. Many were dismissed but the ones that were actually following through were those where the girls were having problems with their reproductive systems. She only has boys but has told me if she had girls.....she obviously wouldn't recommend it.
  • nutmegoreo
    Just a couple, although, my friend works for a pharmaceutical company that no longer endorses the vaccine.....received a lot of complaints. Many were dismissed but the ones that were actually following through were those where the girls were having problems with their reproductive systems. She only has boys but has told me if she had girls.....she obviously wouldn't recommend it.

Hmm, tough choices.