Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Hot topics! Sugar in fruit

Vane062011
Vane062011 Posts: 2 Member
edited July 2016 in Debate Club
Hello fitness pals!

Everyone knows that fruit is good for you, but does it have TOO much sugar?

Eating fruit and eating sugary processed foods have different effects on the body. Fruit gives you a natural energy; it has protein, carbohydrates, fibre, fats etc. whilst the latter produces the opposite effect.

Fruit sugar is easily digested unlike the other food groups. Eating the recommended amounts provides you with the vitamins and minerals you need. Fruit has a high water content, keeps you hydrated and aids in weight loss.

Fruit sugars are good, especially when there is a balance and they are easy, on-the-go foods too.

How much is too much fruit to eat daily?
What are your thoughts?

V

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I love chocolate covered raisins!

Oh, man, I haven't had those in years.

I have a love/hate relationship with trail mix. Especially the kind with the little yogurt/candy thingys.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I love chocolate covered raisins!

Oh, man, I haven't had those in years.

I have a love/hate relationship with trail mix. Especially the kind with the little yogurt/candy thingys.

r4blns8m3eaw.jpeg
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    seska422 wrote: »
    Sugar is sugar, whether it's in fruit or not.

If you have a specific medical problem with sugar, follow your doctor's recommendations about sugar consumption.

If you don't have a specific medical problem with sugar, moderate your intake of sugar just like you moderate other things that you eat.

Eat the amount of fruit that fits your nutritional goals. Not too much, not too little. It's up to you to decide what's "too much" or "too little" within your goals and the government's nutritional suggestions.

^This.
  • mayoosh_primrose
    mayoosh_primrose Posts: 131 Member
    I've read several articles about this topic because I eat so much fruit. I came to the conclusion that it's ok to eat as much as you want -unless you have diabetes.
    Fruit has fiber and other nutrients that make them really healthy, unlike white sugar and refined carbs.
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    edited July 2016
    Nothing wrong with sugars in fruits. I eat high carb, low fat so fruit is a staple in my diet (4-5 servings a day). No damage done. Just hit your minimums/macros and stay within calories.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    There are 70-million sugar in fruit threads here, including a currently active one in the general section.

I think the reason there are so many of these sugary threads is that no one can give a definitive answer, a firm answer with proof and that everyone agrees on. Also that no one can be bothered searching through previous threads :)
    Vane062011 wrote: »
    Hello fitness pals!

Eating fruit and eating sugary processed foods have different effects on the body. Fruit gives you a natural energy; it has protein, carbohydrates, fibre, fats etc. whilst the latter produces the opposite effect.

Fruit sugar is easily digested unlike the other food groups. Eating the recommended amounts provides you with the vitamins and minerals you need. Fruit has a high water content, keeps you hydrated and aids in weight loss.

Fruit sugars are good, especially when there is a balance and they are easy, on-the-go foods too.

What are your thoughts?

V

In answer to your question has fruit got too much sugar, whether it has or not, there's nothing we can do about it. We can't take the sugar out of fruit, there's no reduced sugar fruits. All we can do is choose whether to eat fruit or what fruit to eat. Just like any other foods.

I aim for 2-3 portions of fruit a day and I'm tracking my sugar intake taking the advice of my doctor. As we all know sugar is sugar from whatever source so if you're trying not to eat too much sugar that includes sugar from fruit too. I don't have a medical reason to track or worry about sugar, but I'd rather start keeping an eye on my sugar intake now, rather than when I'm maintaining or some time in the future, so I'm used to not eating too many sugary foods, as that's what helped me put on so much weight in the first place.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Fruits have too much sugar for me. I eat them sparingly, and have more vegetables instead.
  • breez83
    breez83 Posts: 5 Member
    I am not a huge fan of fruit(most fruits, especially apples, taste weird), so I eat far more vegetables than I eat fruits... I don't see an issue as long as I eat a variety of colors. Though I have known people who do not let their kids have fruit because they view it the same as feeding them candy...and that just seems....excessive. I grew up in the house of a diabetic with kidney failure and while refined sugar was severely restricted, we always had access to fresh fruit, especially wild berries and citrus like grapefruits.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Yeah, I don't think fruit is necessary (I think vegetables are far more so for most). I just think the idea that it's harmful is bizarre.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    seska422 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't think fruit is necessary (I think vegetables are far more so for most). I just think the idea that it's harmful is bizarre.
    The "sugar is evil" people get pushed into a corner because fruit has sugar and there's no way around that.

If sugar is evil, then fruit is evil. If fruit isn't evil, that would mean that sugar isn't evil. That's hard to reconcile since they want to say that sugar is evil but don't want to say that about fruit.

It's quite the dilemma.

They still haven't come up with an explanation other than "but fibre!" because, somehow, fibre negates the evil of sugar.
  • kronin23
    kronin23 Posts: 59 Member
    i love frukt, just not in evening time, for breakfast
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Vane062011 wrote: »
    Hello fitness pals!

What are your thoughts?

V

My thoughts are:

I don't think most of your post is correct.

Fruit does not have TOO much sugar. At least I don't think it does but not sure what the question is in reference to (TOO much sugar for what?).

How much is too much fruit to eat daily will vary from person to person, and likely from day to day.