Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Hot topics! Sugar in fruit

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    seska422 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't think fruit is necessary (I think vegetables are far more so for most). I just think the idea that it's harmful is bizarre.
    The "sugar is evil" people get pushed into a corner because fruit has sugar and there's no way around that.

If sugar is evil, then fruit is evil. If fruit isn't evil, that would mean that sugar isn't evil. That's hard to reconcile since they want to say that sugar is evil but don't want to say that about fruit.

It's quite the dilemma.

They still haven't come up with an explanation other than "but fibre!" because, somehow, fibre negates the evil of sugar.

I'm prediabetic. Fruit is evil. Well, maybe evils's younger and cuter baby brother. Sugar is sugar. I'll get a blood glucose spike from fruits just like I would from rice, cake, or bread. I usually skip it except for a few berries once in a while. The fibre doesn't change the fact that there is a lot of sugars in some fruits, and elevated blood glucose levels, even at prediabetic levels, can hurt your health.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't think fruit is necessary (I think vegetables are far more so for most). I just think the idea that it's harmful is bizarre.
    The "sugar is evil" people get pushed into a corner because fruit has sugar and there's no way around that.

If sugar is evil, then fruit is evil. If fruit isn't evil, that would mean that sugar isn't evil. That's hard to reconcile since they want to say that sugar is evil but don't want to say that about fruit.

It's quite the dilemma.

They still haven't come up with an explanation other than "but fibre!" because, somehow, fibre negates the evil of sugar.

I'm prediabetic. Fruit is evil. Well, maybe evils's younger and cuter baby brother. Sugar is sugar. I'll get a blood glucose spike from fruits just like I would from rice, cake, or bread. I usually skip it except for a few berries once in a while. The fibre doesn't change the fact that there is a lot of sugars in some fruits, and elevated blood glucose levels, even at prediabetic levels, can hurt your health.

Well, duh. Peanut butter can hurt someone with a peanut allergy so it's "evil" to that person. But that's usually not the context of most of the Sugar is Santana threads, is it? It's usually just a blanket statement that it's bad for everyone.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Fibre isn't magic and the blood sugar response to fruit vs fruit juice shows this clearly. It does attenuate the rate of absorption and hence insulin response to whole fruit is less than juice but BG is the same in many cases.

If you look closely at published studies you can see evidence that questions the message of the Florida Citrus Growers that fruit is universally benign. At least 2 fruits are associated with diabetes while several others seem protective.

The tendency to conflate "fruitsandvegetables" may lead to the benefit of one being assigned to the other. In one study fruit consumption was associated with ovarian cancer while vegetables were protective but the headline news was that fruitsandvegetables were protective - just not as much as vegetables without the fruit.

coming from 55 degree North I'm not from a fruit rich environment but I can see how the nice taste and a lifetime of marketing has brainwashed us to thinking it's universally wonderful.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I've read several articles about this topic because I eat so much fruit. I came to the conclusion that it's ok to eat as much as you want -unless you have diabetes.
    Fruit has fiber and other nutrients that make them really healthy, unlike white sugar and refined carbs.

Sprinkle sugar on broccoli and you get more nutrients with your sugar than from fruit.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    I've read several articles about this topic because I eat so much fruit. I came to the conclusion that it's ok to eat as much as you want -unless you have diabetes.
    Fruit has fiber and other nutrients that make them really healthy, unlike white sugar and refined carbs.

Sprinkle sugar on broccoli and you get more nutrients with your sugar than from fruit.

Oh I do that often (cheese has sugar, right?)
  • ellenaj52
    ellenaj52 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I realized, as I have to test my blood sugars now; that fruit can be bothersome to blood sugar. Yet, not all fruits have the same sugar content. Pineapple and Watermelon make my blood sugars rise but strawberries don't unless I eat a huge amount. Yet, fruit has a lot of vitamins and minerals. Thus, now I only allow myself two fruits a day and divide it up during the day so I am not getting all that sugar at one time. Sugar is toxic. It is only meant to be used sparingly. I really watch carbs and sugars, but eat real fats at every meal. Fat does not cause heart disease. It is the excess sugars we have in all of our foods.
  • Shobhituva
    Shobhituva Posts: 20 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    There are tons of benefits of having fruits daily to every age group.. It has been proven that certain fruits seemed to confer the biggest protection against breast cancer. The study has been published by British Medical Journal (BMJ).

[link removed by MFP moderator]
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Shobhituva wrote: »
    There are tons of benefits of having fruits daily to every age group.. It has been proven that certain fruits seemed to confer the biggest protection against breast cancer. The study has been published by British Medical Journal (BMJ).

Study used memory of adult nurses to reconstruct their adolescent intake. But, it seems sound enough. Though, I would wonder if those three specific fruits are mentioned in their self reports not because they specifically lower risk different than other fruit, but because apples, bananas and grapes were the cheapest most common fruit in the 60s-80s (when these nurses were teens).
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Shobhituva wrote: »

Study used memory of adult nurses to reconstruct their adolescent intake. But, it seems sound enough completely ludicrous that anyone would take such a flawed study seriously. Though, I would wonder if those three specific fruits are mentioned in their self reports not because they specifically lower risk different than other fruit, but because apples, bananas and grapes were the cheapest most common fruit in the 60s-80s (when these nurses were teens).

FIFY
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    In case anyone wants to read the nurse/breast cancer study and not the hyped claims made of it.
  • Shobhituva
    Shobhituva Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    :D:D
  • SaliDale
    SaliDale Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    We've been eating fruit for thousands of years. Our bodies have evolved eating fruit. Our closest relative the chimpanzee eats mainly fruit supplementing their diet with leaves, bark, nuts, seeds, and 2-3% of their yearly diet is meat from insects and other small animals.

Does fruit have too.much sugar. I think not.
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    There are 70-million sugar in fruit threads here, including a currently active one
    Fruit sugar is easily digested unlike the other food groups.

Other sugars you mean? No, the sugars are basically the same, although the foods are different. Take ice cream made with cane sugar (sucrose). That's a combination of fructose and glucose (about 50/50, I think) and gets broken down as such. A banana contains a mix of fructose, glucose, and sucrose, as do other fruits in varying degrees. So to your body, there's no difference.

Yes sugar is sugar however the rate that sugar hits the bloodstream varies widely. The sugar in juice or soda is on a express freeway to your bloodstream and liver. Even sugar in something like ice cream gets absorbed very quickly. Fruit has fiber and lots of other good then so the road to the blood stream is more like a rutted dirt road, it gets there but often at a much slower place. Some of the sugar is probably even used by bacteria in our gut. So actually there is a difference.

How toxic something is depends on how much of it there is. It could be possible for the fructose in juice to be at toxic levels for someone in that it promotes problems like non alcoholic liver disease, where as eating the same amount of fruit used to produce the juice wouldn't be toxic. That is because it takes a lot longer to eat the fruit vs drinking the juice and even once it is eaten it takes a lot longer for the body to extract all the sugar from the fruit.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, whether it's in fruit or not.

If you have a specific medical problem with sugar, follow your doctor's recommendations about sugar consumption.

If you don't have a specific medical problem with sugar, moderate your intake of sugar just like you moderate other things that you eat.

Eat the amount of fruit that fits your nutritional goals. Not too much, not too little. It's up to you to decide what's "too much" or "too little" within your goals and the government's nutritional suggestions.

That is true in one sense yet white sugar is a processed food devoid of things needed for good health where as the sugar in say an apple comes along with many things needed for good health so all sugar is not equal in preventing premature death in humans.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

If you have a specific medical problem with sugar, follow your doctor's recommendations about sugar consumption.

If you don't have a specific medical problem with sugar, moderate your intake of sugar just like you moderate other things that you eat.

Eat the amount of fruit that fits your nutritional goals. Not too much, not too little. It's up to you to decide what's "too much" or "too little" within your goals and the government's nutritional suggestions.

That is true in one sense yet white sugar is a processed food devoid of things needed for good health where as the sugar in say an apple comes along with many things needed for good health so all sugar is not equal in preventing premature death in humans.

This is true in one sense yet, who the hell eats straight up white sugar?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

This is true in one sense yet, who the hell eats straight up white sugar?

Raises hand!
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    ellenaj52 wrote: »
    I was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I realized, as I have to test my blood sugars now; that fruit can be bothersome to blood sugar. Yet, not all fruits have the same sugar content. Pineapple and Watermelon make my blood sugars rise but strawberries don't unless I eat a huge amount. Yet, fruit has a lot of vitamins and minerals. Thus, now I only allow myself two fruits a day and divide it up during the day so I am not getting all that sugar at one time. Sugar is toxic. It is only meant to be used sparingly. I really watch carbs and sugars, but eat real fats at every meal. Fat does not cause heart disease. It is the excess sugars we have in all of our foods.

Sugar is not toxic.
    ellenaj52 wrote: »

Sugar is not toxic.

There is more and more research showing that too much sugar is toxic. Almost everything can be toxic, it depends on how much and how fast one is exposed to it.

One of the toxic effects of too much sugar: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/statistics/