Is it even possible for ANYONE to be a size 0/1?

Options

Replies

• Citycat2015
    Citycat2015 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    jrochest wrote: »
    The only clothes that come in a size 0 here in Aus are babies clothes.
    How anyone can be a size nothing totally confounds me! I would love to know why and who came up with ridiculous concept..

US (and Canadian) sizes changed from UK and Aussie sizes -- so a 2 is about the same as an AU 8 and a 0 is a 6.

Yeah I know the conversion. I just think it's stupid to have a clothing size say zero, it honestly make not one iota of sense to me, and is one of the few things that make me see red :rage:
    Does it make women happy to say "look I'm sooooo skinny that I can fit into a size nothing" ?? This is the only reason I can come up with to invent a size 0

I think it is just as much to make the big sizes seem not so big. I moved to the US from Australia and started to put on weight soon after (not related to the move or food here). It was far more acceptable in my head because I was still a size 8. But in reality much larger.
  • jrochest
    jrochest Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    How anyone can be a size nothing totally confounds me! I would love to know why and who came up with ridiculous concept..

US (and Canadian) sizes changed from UK and Aussie sizes -- so a 2 is about the same as an AU 8 and a 0 is a 6.

Yeah I know the conversion. I just think it's stupid to have a clothing size say zero, it honestly make not one iota of sense to me, and is one of the few things that make me see red :rage:
    Does it make women happy to say "look I'm sooooo skinny that I can fit into a size nothing" ?? This is the only reason I can come up with to invent a size 0

Oh, it's even more fun when you find size double-zero. It's not done to flatter women, at least not directly -- it's just that as the 'average' size that the clothing ranges are centered on gets larger there's less and less space at the bottom of the range. So what would have been an 6 or an 8 back in the 70s gets re-labelled a 0. Or a double-0.
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    (Quote) > Not you at all. Many posters in this thread have been fine. Just a few references to being a teen's body, people aspiring to weird things due to size 0, and someone saying they don't like the size 0 "look" are a few that come to mind. If I said I didn't like the size 14 "look", more than half of the women in America would want my head on a stick. There were a few other threads where the size was mentioned in such a way.

I absolutely understand part of the disdain due to societal standards but I just wanted to throw it out there because sometimes on this board, and in real life, I get subtly and not-so-subtly reminded that my size makes people think I starve or I'm less of a woman because I have no "shape" when I do or that it's not a "woman's shape" because no woman that has had kids can be a size 0 which is not only untrue but falsely ties being a mother to being a woman. Size 0 is a stupid as hell size (thanks America!) but is still a size.

One size doesn't fit all thankfully and that's definitely what the takeaway of this thread is about overall. [/quote]

^ Yes!!!! This exactly!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I think it is just as much to make the big sizes seem not so big. I moved to the US from Australia and started to put on weight soon after (not related to the move or food here). It was far more acceptable in my head because I was still a size 8. But in reality much larger.

Oh, it's even more fun when you find size double-zero. It's not done to flatter women, at least not directly -- it's just that as the 'average' size that the clothing ranges are centered on gets larger there's less and less space at the bottom of the range. So what would have been an 6 or an 8 back in the 70s gets re-labelled a 0. Or a double-0.

Ahhh ok, that make sense I guess.
  • emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    I wear smaller than a 000 which is smaller than I was a teen. My waist size is several inches smaller (was 25, now 22), so yes it's possible to be a size 0 or 1. I haven't found any companies that make waist sizes smaller than 23". 0 and 00s aren't that small anymore, I think most people could fit into a 0 if they really wanted to at most major stores due to vanity sizing.

Oh my god you have got to be kidding me.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    emmylootwo wrote: »
    I wear smaller than a 000 which is smaller than I was a teen. My waist size is several inches smaller (was 25, now 22), so yes it's possible to be a size 0 or 1. I haven't found any companies that make waist sizes smaller than 23". 0 and 00s aren't that small anymore, I think most people could fit into a 0 if they really wanted to at most major stores due to vanity sizing.

I'm not sure which part of her comment made you say this, but I'm wondering if it's the part I'm kind of taking issue with which is "I think most people could fit into a 0 if they really wanted to at most major stores due to vanity sizing." I agree wholeheartedly that vanity sizing is crazy in the U.S., but that statement is a bit farfetched. If I gained ten pounds, I would not be fitting into my size 00 or 0 from Target anymore. Most people do not have a waist that is 25 inches or less.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    It depends on the woman. I doubt I could ever be a size 0 because of my wide hip bones. If it were possible I'm quite certain I'd have to be emaciated. But I have a cousin who has been a size zero for most of her life (except when pregnant). She has very narrow hips and shoulders.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    Sorry but can we stop referencing a size 0 as a teenager's size/body? I'm a size 0 and a 31 year old woman. I'm not starving, I'm not sick, and I'm not killing myself to maintain it. It's the frame I was born with and the body I've built through hard work. When I was a teenager I was a size 13 to 16. Not everyone has to be a size 0, but the not-so-subtle shade being thrown at the size is a bit much. I'm not targeting any poster in particular but I've noticed overall there seems to be an aura of vitriol regarding the size. It's a tad offputting.

I just re-read the thread to see if I missed something, but as far as I can see, nobody disparaged size 0 or implied it was for teens only.

I think you might be reading into people's comments too much, because I honestly don't see anything I'd call hostile.

Edited to add: If my posts seemed to you or anyone as if I were implying only a skeleton would fit into a size 0, that isn't at all what I was talking about. I was referencing my own bone structure, which is tall and broad. I apologize if I wasn't clear and you felt like I was taking a swipe at you or anyone else.

Not you at all. Many posters in this thread have been fine. Just a few references to being a teen's body, people aspiring to weird things due to size 0, and someone saying they don't like the size 0 "look" are a few that come to mind. If I said I didn't like the size 14 "look", more than half of the women in America would want my head on a stick. There were a few other threads where the size was mentioned in such a way.

I absolutely understand part of the disdain due to societal standards but I just wanted to throw it out there because sometimes on this board, and in real life, I get subtly and not-so-subtly reminded that my size makes people think I starve or I'm less of a woman because I have no "shape" when I do or that it's not a "woman's shape" because no woman that has had kids can be a size 0 which is not only untrue but falsely ties being a mother to being a woman. Size 0 is a stupid as hell size (thanks America!) but is still a size.

One size doesn't fit all thankfully and that's definitely what the takeaway of this thread is about overall.

Ah that would be me then, I wasn't having a go at anyone at all. I also don't like the bodybuilder/physique look, is there a rule out there that I should?

I don't personally know anyone who is a size 0, just what I see through the media and the unfortunate souls who I look after who are probably a size 00000. I just wrongly assumed you couldn't be a size 0 without starving. This site has shown me that you can be healthy & a size 0
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I was a size 10-12 at 16 and a 00 at 33 years old with a 3 year old. And I'm 5'6". I was lean but never sickly in any way at a 00.

I can only speak for myself, but people always said I was big boned and would always be a big girl. Wrong. Once I lost the weight I realized I'm not big boned at all! It was just the weight that made it look so. People also said getting older makes ones body naturally weigh more. Wrong. I weighed less the older I got. Perception really is everything. And if we want to be honest the bmi guidelines, I think, are more than fair and forgiving. We may not want to believe it because of our egos, but the healthier we get over time and the more we understand the process, allowing ourselves a chance to get used to changes in perception, the more we begin to see those guidelines make perfect sense.

I agree that BMI guidelines make sense for women and most men. But that doesn't mean every woman can get to a size 0 and be healthy. When my BMI was 18.5 I wore a size 5 pants (US).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    emmylootwo wrote: »

I'm not sure which part of her comment made you say this, but I'm wondering if it's the part I'm kind of taking issue with which is "I think most people could fit into a 0 if they really wanted to at most major stores due to vanity sizing." I agree wholeheartedly that vanity sizing is crazy in the U.S., but that statement is a bit farfetched. If I gained ten pounds, I would not be fitting into my size 00 or 0 from Target anymore. Most people do not have a waist that is 25 inches or less.

That's the statement that is WAY farfetched... Even if I was underweight I don't think that my waist could go lower than 28 inches. There's no way I'd ever fit a size 0 unless I was cutting my bones. Although yeah I fit in some Old Navy size 2 clothes, so I guess maybe in a couple years, lol!
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Possible? Yes
    A good idea? No

Better to think in terms of good health than clothing size.
  • MaGrl523
    MaGrl523 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    robs_ready wrote: »
    This is a genuine question, is size 0 even healthy?

My aunt has been a size 0/00 almost all my life (and her's too I'm sure). I think just recently she started to go up. Now my mom (her sister is in the 20's for a size) and was a 0 back when she was a teenager but after her 1st kid (me) she never saw that size again. Everyone is right that says that not every one can get back to a smaller size simply based on the fact that as you age hormones change the way your body is structured over the years. Obviously, your body is not the same at 21 as it was at 14 and it wont be the same at 30 or 35 either. It's ever changing. I'm not sure I've ever been a 0/00 but I think even achieving a 6 would be a big challenge for me. I think I looked my best at a 10 but I'm also heavier in the butt and thighs. Body shape, bone structure and where you carry make a huge difference in what size jeans/pants you will fit in. Assuming that you are American wearing clothes that are based on US sizes could make a huge difference, too. Especially, since information has been coming out that the American sizing system for women is so out of whack!!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    What every person can or cannot do isn't really relevant to your situation. Your bones didn't grow. Yes, you can get down to your former weight. If you've gained a significant amount of muscle mass then you may not want to, but significant extra weight is not a necessary component of aging.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Size 6 now is not what a size 6 was 20 or 30 years ago. The US is very much into vanity sizing. Is zero the new six? :D

When I was a kid, my mother was 5 ft 1 1/2, 110 pounds and wore a size 8-10. I'll bet those size tens are now about a 4-6. She was really tiny.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Size 6 now is not what a size 6 was 20 or 30 years ago. The US is very much into vanity sizing. Is zero the new six? :D

When I was a kid, my mother was 5 ft 1 1/2, 110 pounds and wore a size 8-10. I'll bet those size tens are now about a 4-6. She was really tiny.

I was PISSED when the shop lady told me I needed a zero, truthfully. Not happy about it. My hips were 35", I am tall and my build is straight, with good shoulders and not super narrow anywhere, that's not crazy small and they were sizing me out of existence? What in the world are actually skinny ladies to do if I, with a more average frame size, need the smallest size in the store? I see girls who are smaller than that all the time.

I feel like with a slender build and tall, even when thin I should be Small-Medium, the bigger small size, not XS-Small, because I am not an extra small person. But Medium keeps getting recentered as people get fatter, and if Medium gets bigger, so does Small, even though small people are probably still the same size.

Even so, I still have much more trouble with height than circumference, when looking for clothes. It's fine that they want to re-center Medium, it makes sense to put that in the middle, but then when companies start their Tall clothes at Medium, it's effectively starting them at Large. There is almost never an XS tall, and often never a Small Tall. I'm not super tall but the rise in regular length pants is too short, so the waist lands in the wrong place.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    What every person can or cannot do isn't really relevant to your situation. Your bones didn't grow. Yes, you can get down to your former weight. If you've gained a significant amount of muscle mass then you may not want to, but significant extra weight is not a necessary component of aging.

Actually adults experience a hip width expansion of 1-2 inches between age 20 and 40. This corresponds to a circumference increase on average of 3 inches.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »

Actually adults experience a hip width expansion of 1-2 inches between age 20 and 40. This corresponds to a circumference increase on average of 3 inches.

I'd be interested in reading that study. I know many fit people who are in their forties, fifties and sixties who are the same size they were in high school. A little change isn't bad, but several dress sizes isn't caused by a little hip expansion
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    debrag12 wrote: »
    Sorry but can we stop referencing a size 0 as a teenager's size/body? I'm a size 0 and a 31 year old woman. I'm not starving, I'm not sick, and I'm not killing myself to maintain it. It's the frame I was born with and the body I've built through hard work. When I was a teenager I was a size 13 to 16. Not everyone has to be a size 0, but the not-so-subtle shade being thrown at the size is a bit much. I'm not targeting any poster in particular but I've noticed overall there seems to be an aura of vitriol regarding the size. It's a tad offputting.

I just re-read the thread to see if I missed something, but as far as I can see, nobody disparaged size 0 or implied it was for teens only.

I think you might be reading into people's comments too much, because I honestly don't see anything I'd call hostile.

Edited to add: If my posts seemed to you or anyone as if I were implying only a skeleton would fit into a size 0, that isn't at all what I was talking about. I was referencing my own bone structure, which is tall and broad. I apologize if I wasn't clear and you felt like I was taking a swipe at you or anyone else.

Not you at all. Many posters in this thread have been fine. Just a few references to being a teen's body, people aspiring to weird things due to size 0, and someone saying they don't like the size 0 "look" are a few that come to mind. If I said I didn't like the size 14 "look", more than half of the women in America would want my head on a stick. There were a few other threads where the size was mentioned in such a way.

One size doesn't fit all thankfully and that's definitely what the takeaway of this thread is about overall.

Ah that would be me then, I wasn't having a go at anyone at all. I also don't like the bodybuilder/physique look, is there a rule out there that I should?

I don't personally know anyone who is a size 0, just what I see through the media and the unfortunate souls who I look after who are probably a size 00000. I just wrongly assumed you couldn't be a size 0 without starving. This site has shown me that you can be healthy & a size 0

You probably know several people who are 0s...but most people don't go around announcing their clothing sizes, apart from around MFP, haha.

I'm going to look for a full body photo of me so you can see what "size 0" actually looks like, because I think you'll be very surprised. I look generally pretty rounded and curvy, even kind of chubby around the thighs/arms/face right now, but I'm still wearing 0s due to narrow frame and vanity sizing.

ETA: click behind the spoiler and you'll see a photo of me in an XS top and a size 0 skirt, and you'll see that you don't have to look super thin to be in those sizes.
    j3dmeecdxp6r.jpg

It's not a flattering photo and I can make myself look more slender in the right clothes and the right angles, but it's just to demonstrate that plenty of people you see day-to-day are being sized into 0s thanks to the way clothing sizes are exploding. I wonder every time I shop what truly skinny people do for clothing. Tailor, buy designer, order from Asia, or swim in their clothes, I guess.

I totally agree with this. Often I buy a size 2 or an XS and I'm really not that small. I start wondering what really tiny people do. Vanity sizing in this country is out of control (although the exception is H&M where the clothes are cut super small, must be because it's a European brand)
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

They almost certainly did. OP is a teenager.