low carb Does work!!!!

Options

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    So, I'm sick of when people on here say they are struggling and someone on here suggests low carb and then another person berates them and says it's all about calories eat as much as you want but stay within the calories but heres the thing, did that and could not stay within my calories because carbs don't keep me satiated....they satisfy for an hour then I'm hungry again.. For example I used to have cheerios for breakfast but by first break at work (930) I was starving and usually grabbed a cookie or bag of chips...now I have 3 scrambled eggs with salsa (more calories) but I'm good till lunch!!I may have a small healthy snack like some Spitz or a handful of almonds but that's it!!!Now I'm not saying this works for everyone but I've lost 6 pounds in 2 and a half weeks doing this, it's working for me...so when someone on here suggests low care it is a VALID suggestion...the whole "eat whatever you want and stay within calorie goal" is not the ultimate answer so don't be quick to judge someone's suggestion.. Different lifestyles work for different people.

...When people give the "eat whatever you want and stay in your calorie goal" answer that is usually in response to someone who has told someone that they need to "cut carbs, sugar, eat clean... whatever". You need to find what works for you and eat what you like that is in your calorie goal. You said it yourself, different lifestyles work for different people.

I don't really see a lot of people on here saying that low carb is not a valid suggestion, just that it isn't necessary unless you have medical reasons for going low carb.

@kgirlhart The way you framed it is perfectly acceptable. However try putting it out there that cutting out sugar and going low carb is an option to try, and there are plenty who think low carb is a bad idea and will say that you can eat sweets and fit in cakes, etc and will fight a duel with you.

Edited typo

@DebSozo I do eat sweets and fit in cakes, etc on a regular basis. I also eat fast food sometimes. I am down 57 pounds and 3 pounds from goal. I don't think that you have to cut out anything, you just have to eat in moderation. Personally I try to always hit my protien goal and then I just let the fats and carbs fall where they fall each day and don't really pay any attention to how many carbs or what type of carbs I eat. That is what works for me. For me low carb is a bad idea. I'm sure it works for some and it is necessary for some. But lots of people I know who cut carbs are yo-yo dieters who cut them real low then when they hit their goal they start eating them again and gain it all back. If you want to cut carbs for the rest of your life then that is fine, but unless you plan to eat that way for the rest of your life, I think it is a bad idea.
  • drpoolphd
    drpoolphd Posts: 4 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Me too. Carbs just make me gain. Unless I get to doing heavy exercise. Than I need a certain amount of carbs. Which was many years ago. I remember I followed mutrisystem to a T. One week gained 5 pounds. I cut out the snacks and 3 more weeks 5lbs more. Sent the crap back. LOL. This past year I started the isagenix plan. Gained weight. My body does not deal with man made products. Whole foods from now on. Now with my business more and more desk work. No servicing any more. Im having a hard time to fit in exercising. More stress with this different generation of customers. I have to revamp my day. The big 50 is coming. Oct 7. I am desperate to get my life turned around health wise. With all this weight. My body is having a fit. Its not about vanity anymore. Its about health and well being. I want to finish what God has planned for me. I cant do it when I am always aching and hurting. I am determined. I have it in my mind that its life or death.
    I too did the atkins diet years ago. Lost 35lb.
    Tried it after I went into menopause. Didnt work as good. Of course i was younger and more active and had hormones.
  • domgibson88
    domgibson88 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    willnorton wrote: »
    So, I'm sick of when people on here say they are struggling and someone on here suggests low carb and then another person berates them and says it's all about calories eat as much as you want but stay within the calories but heres the thing, did that and could not stay within my calories because carbs don't keep me satiated....they satisfy for an hour then I'm hungry again.. For example I used to have cheerios for breakfast but by first break at work (930) I was starving and usually grabbed a cookie or bag of chips...now I have 3 scrambled eggs with salsa (more calories) but I'm good till lunch!!I may have a small healthy snack like some Spitz or a handful of almonds but that's it!!!Now I'm not saying this works for everyone but I've lost 6 pounds in 2 and a half weeks doing this, it's working for me...so when someone on here suggests low care it is a VALID suggestion...the whole "eat whatever you want and stay within calorie goal" is not the ultimate answer so don't be quick to judge someone's suggestion.. Different lifestyles work for different people.

you keep doing what you are doing... dont ever doubt yourself... dont be afraid to eat fat... now I will tell you healthy fats are better.... but please dont be afraid of eating low carb high fat... be very careful with your macros.. i try to stay about 75% fat, 5% carb, 20% protein.... dont over eat on your protein... your body will turn that protein into sugars...think its called gluconeogenesis.....now... my personal story....

in 4 months I lost over 100 pounds... (not all water weight) .... i was taking 49 units of Lantus insulin a night.. i hated those shots..... i was taking Lisinopril and Verapamil...2 blood pressure meds and in the first 6 weeks, i got off the insulin and 1 of the blood pressure meds... it took about 4 months to get rid of the other blood pressure med... my blood pressure after the gym yesterday was 107/64..... my doctor still has me on Metformin ..he says that is just a good thing to take to keep my system running good... im ok with that..... im a new person.......

now i try to stay away from all the nasty fats... i do eat bacon from time to time but i eat lots of eggs and leaner meats.. my choice... i could eat regular hamburger but i chose to eat ground round... i eat lots of green leafy veggies.. ;lots of salads... i do the oil and vinegas mostly but i do eat Maries Chunky blue cheese dressing... i try not to eat a whole lot of cheese... i eat some Dukes mayo.... i stay away from toms, onions,,, carrots....

i love broccoli and cauliflower.....

i eat a good breakfast and sometimes have to make myself eat lunch.. i just dont get hungry.. oh i use the heck out of Kerry Gold unsalted butter on my veggies... eat some Daisy sourcream....

long story... i would love to talk to you about low carbing...... its my life now....

NOT ALL DIETS WORK FOR ALL PEOPLE... i firmly believe that.... some people think we are crazy to eat low carb high fat...... it works for me.. that is all i can say....

hope we can talk more....

Bill

This is great!!!So glad this is working for you!!! I don't have alot to loose but I find I have more energy on low carb than anything....cause I'm not always Starving cause when I am... I go straight to chips, cookies, McDonald's and Taco bell are my favourite fast food, I have no control when I'm at that point, low carb keeps me satiated....not satisfied I still crave a big Mac every day lol...but at least I can make better choices when I'm feeling satiated
  • domgibson88
    domgibson88 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    So you ate less than you burned (CICO) while choosing foods that met your satiety needs?

Yes that's what I'm saying
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Loosing 5 or 6 pounds of water is a start!!!!and I'm not struggling with the lifestyle so will keep going...all I'm saying is don't knock it till you try it :)
    How do you know I haven't tried it ?

There are many methods to get to a calorie deficit so people find what works for them. No one is saying low carb doesn't work. It just may not work for some people. This is a diverse board with many people who have many styles of eating (I refuse to say WOD I hate that acronym, lol). Everyone wants to give their two cents so don't take it personal.
  • drpoolphd
    drpoolphd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For me I will try anything.Anything that works. The key is to keep it off. That is my problem. So its down to lifestyle change.
  • BarbellzNBrotein
    BarbellzNBrotein Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    What works for the majority doesn't make it a universal truth. There's more than one way to get to 4. 2+2 works but so does 8/2. With regards to low carbing, most people use it as an insurance they stay within a deficit. It's only more effective depending on who you're asking. I say experiment on yourself and find what works best for you, only you know how your body operates. I know that I'm much more efficient in the gym with higher carbs but on the days I'm less active say on an off day, my body doesn't necessarily require as much carbs. Calories are important and should be monitored, there's no doubt about that. But it's not the be all and end all. In my experience how your body digests what you consume also plays a key role.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    So you ate less than you burned (CICO) while choosing foods that met your satiety needs?

Yes that's what I'm saying

Most people here that I see advocating moderation recommend playing with macros to find the balance that is effective for the individual. You aren't saying anything different.

You said this was in response to a specific post. How is painting all people who advocate moderation with the same brush as this single poster helping anyone? You're calling out people who recommend moderation for something they didn't do. I'm just trying to get at the root of it all.
This discussion has been closed.