So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• sarahsyed2009
    sarahsyed2009 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    1. Slight calorie deficit. Eating 800 calories and killing yourself in the gym is not going to get you there any faster. You need to fuel your body appropriately. I suggest the TDEE-20% method. http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ (If you have questions please feel free to ask them here). Make sure to weigh everything you eat! Guessing could put you well over your calories.

I don't understand tdee. I calculated my tdee that is 1578 and bmr is 1217. 20% of my Tdee is going to be 1362 so what does that mean. So do I start eating 1362 calories that is more than my bmr 1217. I feel like I will gain weight. Please reply.
    Sarah
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    1. Slight calorie deficit. Eating 800 calories and killing yourself in the gym is not going to get you there any faster. You need to fuel your body appropriately. I suggest the TDEE-20% method. http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ (If you have questions please feel free to ask them here). Make sure to weigh everything you eat! Guessing could put you well over your calories.

I don't understand tdee. I calculated my tdee that is 1578 and bmr is 1217. 20% of my Tdee is going to be 1362 so what does that mean. So do I start eating 1362 calories that is more than my bmr 1217. I feel like I will gain weight. Please reply.
    Sarah

Your BMR is what you would burn if you were just lying in a coma all day. You won't gain weight eating your BMR unless you have underlying medical issues. Even sedentary people burn more than their BMR each day. If your TDEE is 1,578, anything under that will result in weight loss.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Post pregnancy I'm back to prepregnancy weight which is healthy BMI but still have large stomach. Do a lot of cardio incl walking for abs YouTube. Am going to up strength training to see if that helps
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    erzadel wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    So TDEE-20% for me is 1120 calories... As I am a shorter sedentary skinny fat person, what should my calorie goal look like?

I've been trying to avoid adding exercise to the equation because I'm scared of hurting myself lifting heavy (I know, I know, but fear is irrational). However as I don't have a lot to lose in the first place, lifting heavy is advice I see repeated a lot. I know SL 5x5 is always recommended but I'm still overwhelmed by that... Any other good programs to start with? I can barely do reps with a 10lbs dumbbell, should I just jump right into it? Time for me to get a gym membership LOL

@erzadel How much are you looking to lose? If it's less than 10 pounds then it's probably best to just take 250 calories off and lift. I actually suggest you start with something else instead of SL5x5. There are a variety of beginner programs and programs that are designed for female beginners on Bodybuilding.com. They also have dumbbell workouts for beginners. It's a good place to get comfortable with form because they have videos for nearly everything.

I don't have a set goal weight but I don't want to lose more than 10lbs, that would put me at 100lbs (I'm 5'2"). TDEE-250 is not much better, that's 1151 for me. Or would that be ok? I'm fairly lean overall but I seriously look like ET with my stomach!

Awesome, thank you for the website recommendation! When do you suggest moving beyond dumbbells?

You might look into
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569
    it is all dumbbells. Heavy lifting is relative, heavy for one person is not heavy for someone else. You have to start somewhere and dumbbells are a good start if you have not done much strength training. You can also do body weight strength training now.
  • Zella_11
    Zella_11 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    ****bump****
  • erzadel
    erzadel Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So TDEE-20% for me is 1120 calories... As I am a shorter sedentary skinny fat person, what should my calorie goal look like?

I've been trying to avoid adding exercise to the equation because I'm scared of hurting myself lifting heavy (I know, I know, but fear is irrational). However as I don't have a lot to lose in the first place, lifting heavy is advice I see repeated a lot. I know SL 5x5 is always recommended but I'm still overwhelmed by that... Any other good programs to start with? I can barely do reps with a 10lbs dumbbell, should I just jump right into it? Time for me to get a gym membership LOL

@erzadel How much are you looking to lose? If it's less than 10 pounds then it's probably best to just take 250 calories off and lift. I actually suggest you start with something else instead of SL5x5. There are a variety of beginner programs and programs that are designed for female beginners on Bodybuilding.com. They also have dumbbell workouts for beginners. It's a good place to get comfortable with form because they have videos for nearly everything.

I don't have a set goal weight but I don't want to lose more than 10lbs, that would put me at 100lbs (I'm 5'2"). TDEE-250 is not much better, that's 1151 for me. Or would that be ok? I'm fairly lean overall but I seriously look like ET with my stomach!

Awesome, thank you for the website recommendation! When do you suggest moving beyond dumbbells?

I think a better suggestion is to eat at maintenance and not lose weight. This is known as recomposition, where you maintain weight while losing fat and building muscle.

As for moving beyond dumbbells, when you are comfortable starting with a barbell it's a good idea to use it. Dumbbells can stay part of your programming forever. Barbells just use the muscles in a different way.

I see! I have done some reading on recomposition. It looks like it will take longer but I think it will be worth it. Thank you!
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I love Cardio---- Sorry
  • tchrmom04
    tchrmom04 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    At the risk of being very repetitive - I'd like some input on my calorie goals as well. :) I am 5 ft. 4 and 47. I lift heavy (well for me...) using the Strong workouts by the authors of NROL4W. Anyway - I lift on M/W/Sa. Along with the weights - I do a cardio class immediately afterwards - or else an hour on an elliptical if I'm on a weird schedule and there isn't a class available. I also do an additional cardio class on Friday. So I don't work out at all on Su/Tu/Th. Anyway - I put a calorie goal of 1590 out there and I don't add back exercise cals. Does this sound right? I currently weigh 165.6 and would like to weigh around 140 (I'm actually more focused on form than a set poundage). :)

Thank you!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    tchrmom04 wrote: »
    At the risk of being very repetitive - I'd like some input on my calorie goals as well. :) I am 5 ft. 4 and 47. I lift heavy (well for me...) using the Strong workouts by the authors of NROL4W. Anyway - I lift on M/W/Sa. Along with the weights - I do a cardio class immediately afterwards - or else an hour on an elliptical if I'm on a weird schedule and there isn't a class available. I also do an additional cardio class on Friday. So I don't work out at all on Su/Tu/Th. Anyway - I put a calorie goal of 1590 out there and I don't add back exercise cals. Does this sound right? I currently weigh 165.6 and would like to weigh around 140 (I'm actually more focused on form than a set poundage). :)

Thank you!

@tchrmom04 1590 sounds about right. You may find that you'll need to adjust the calories a little lower as you lose weight, but you should make progress for a while with what your current goal is.
  • tchrmom04
    tchrmom04 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!! :) I appreciate the input.
  • campbell3913
    campbell3913 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If anyone is interested there is an android app: You Are Your Own Gym. No idea if it's any good, thought I'd share.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    If anyone is interested there is an android app: You Are Your Own Gym. No idea if it's any good, thought I'd share.

Decent program, but I found it too circuit/HIIT for me. Although I'm sure I'll revisit down the line.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Great thread,
  • jtennant334
    jtennant334 Posts: 8 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I got to page 39, trying to make it until the end to ask my question, but then I got a little antsy....

A friend of mine sent me an article today stating that if you have a larger stomach you could perhaps have some type of insulin resistance? Has anyone found this to be true? I have been working out consistently for around 5 weeks and tracking calories at 1500/day (used the TDEE method to figure out how many to eat) - for reference I am 5'4", around 165ish pounds (not totally sure as I have not weighed myself lately), I am fitting into some of my clothing better, but not all, so I am wondering if I am doing something wrong.

I am naturally a pretty impatient person, and weight loss is no exception. I am just wondering if this whole "insulin resistance" thing has any merit to it, and that maybe that is why I am not seeing results in my mid-section any faster? I track on MFP and usually do not eat above 130g of carbs per day. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I got to page 39, trying to make it until the end to ask my question, but then I got a little antsy....

A friend of mine sent me an article today stating that if you have a larger stomach you could perhaps have some type of insulin resistance? Has anyone found this to be true? I have been working out consistently for around 5 weeks and tracking calories (used the TDEE method to figure out how many to eat) - for reference I am 5'4", around 165ish pounds (not totally sure as I have not weighed myself lately), I am fitting into some of my clothing better, but not all, so I am wondering if I am doing something wrong.

I am naturally a pretty impatient person, and weight loss is no exception. I am just wondering if this whole "insulin resistance" thing has any merit to it, and that maybe that is why I am not seeing results in my mid-section any faster? I track on MFP and usually do not eat above 130g of carbs per day. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!

I have not seen it be a "thing" for me whenever I lost weight last time... The body chooses where to lose and when to lose from that spot.. You will never be able to speed that up. I know that it will take me a very long time to sheink the tummy area :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what kind of abdominal fat one has, and to some extent ones age and weight.

Here is an article that helps explain the effect visceral fat can have on a one's health and hormonal functions.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/abdominal-fat-and-what-to-do-about-it

There is lots of info in google scholar too.

Cheers, h.
  • christinedlg50
    christinedlg50 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I don't know when you posted this and your success story but I want to thank you!!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options

A friend of mine sent me an article today stating that if you have a larger stomach you could perhaps have some type of insulin resistance? Has anyone found this to be true? I have been working out consistently for around 5 weeks and tracking calories at 1500/day (used the TDEE method to figure out how many to eat) - for reference I am 5'4", around 165ish pounds (not totally sure as I have not weighed myself lately), I am fitting into some of my clothing better, but not all, so I am wondering if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks!

@jtennant334 There is some correlation between apple shaped body (bigger breasts & abdomen and smaller hips & legs) with diabetes as opposed to a pear shaped body with (smaller breasts & waist and bigger hips & thighs).
  • 2CrazyMonsters
    2CrazyMonsters Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bump