WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,145 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Michele- you can start out using a dumbbell but as you get to heavier weights you will want to get a kettle bell because of the grip you don't want to accidentally swing a dumbbell through your TV!

Heather - did you have a chance to look at the workout program? It is for five weeks. I only do the four-weeks and I modified it because I do weightlifting. I would suggest doing The swing, goblet squat, and the press. You can do the swing and the goblet squat every day and add the press every other day. Start out with a 10 pound weight or less and only do The number of sets and reps that they advise. Also if you can get the swing timer app on your phone or computer. I do 30 seconds work, it really only takes 10 to 20 seconds for the swing but it doesn't really matter that I set it for 30 seconds, 30 seconds rest. Then however many sets of exercises for that day. You will love it because I always take my kettle bell with when we travel. At 35 pounds now it is a little heavy for a carry on but, my DH doesn't complain!

Karen VA- The short amount of time and the results from the kettle bell are amazing! The key is to increase the weight or reps every five weeks. I started out with 10 pounds and I am up to 35 pounds since last November. The nice thing about it is that you can stop at any point that you feel is working for you. I no longer have any belly fat. When I sit my stomach is pure muscle.

KJLaMore - get the dust rag out! You won't regret it! As you get to a heavier weight you will want to get the Kettlebell because of the handle grip!

Barbie - that is so funny! What Jake doesn't know won't hurt him!

I'm going to mow my lawn this morning before the sun comes out and it gets too hot. We're supposed to have 90° weather here for the next 3 to 4 days. I will have to do my exercises when I get back in. This is my walk for the day, Shep, runs along with me and gets his walking in as well!

Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly packed. Just got to water flower pots etc. Must remember to close all the windows when we leave. :o
    I've made a salad to go with the delicious nibbles I bought for early dinner and a raita.
    Karen - I told DDIL to have a cup of tea ready for when we arrive. She was happy to wait dinner for us, but I would be starving by then!
    Sooooooo excited! :D
    My grandfather had a leg blown off in WW1 just before the Somme and was sent to recuperate at the Royal Pavilion. His sister came and nursed him.
    Slightly cooler today. The occasional breeze. Some places got up to 98° yesterday.

Love Heather xxxxxxxxxx

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :) Good Morning my friends!

Plan for the day (according to hubs): he will work on another 15 resumes (he has actually started working-he was sent 75 resumes of incoming Masters students to review and comment on), bring around to the front items from the deck we are taking with us ( a good scrubbing will ensue) and then get all chemicals ready for delivery to the hazardous waste facility (only open on Thursdays). He sold his 97 Honda CR-V so there is more room in the garage for better staging of what is going with us from the garage. He is replacing it with a 2016 Honda Fit which he is currently negotiating with a local Honda dealer in College Station to pick up the week we arrive down there. We still have our 2012 Honda CR-V.

Sending hugs y'alls direction today!

Cheri
    in soon to be hot Fairlawn,oHIo
  • fanncy0626
    Options
  • baLancedLif3
    baLancedLif3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Michele- you can start out using a dumbbell but as you get to heavier weights you will want to get a kettle bell because of the grip you don't want to accidentally swing a dumbbell through your TV!

Heather - did you have a chance to look at the workout program? It is for five weeks. I only do the four-weeks and I modified it because I do weightlifting. I would suggest doing The swing, goblet squat, and the press. You can do the swing and the goblet squat every day and add the press every other day. Start out with a 10 pound weight or less and only do The number of sets and reps that they advise. Also if you can get the swing timer app on your phone or computer. I do 30 seconds work, it really only takes 10 to 20 seconds for the swing but it doesn't really matter that I set it for 30 seconds, 30 seconds rest. Then however many sets of exercises for that day. You will love it because I always take my kettle bell with when we travel. At 35 pounds now it is a little heavy for a carry on but, my DH doesn't complain!

Karen VA- The short amount of time and the results from the kettle bell are amazing! The key is to increase the weight or reps every five weeks. I started out with 10 pounds and I am up to 35 pounds since last November. The nice thing about it is that you can stop at any point that you feel is working for you. I no longer have any belly fat. When I sit my stomach is pure muscle.

KJLaMore - get the dust rag out! You won't regret it! As you get to a heavier weight you will want to get the Kettlebell because of the handle grip!

I'm going to mow my lawn this morning before the sun comes out and it gets too hot. We're supposed to have 90° weather here for the next 3 to 4 days. I will have to do my exercises when I get back in. This is my walk for the day, Shep, runs along with me and gets his walking in as well!

<3

Mary from Minnesota

Good Morning all!

Just checking out your thread. :)

@fanncy0626 I am really interested in the kettlebell work out! It sounds doable, fun and rewarding. Any advice you can post will be appreciated. Thank you. :)

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Re: Thanks for the idea of putting sunscreen on our feet when we're wearing sandals in the DC area. It didn't occur to me. :bigsmile:

Joyce: I'm gad that Charlie's surgery is done. Getting rid of a bad gallbladder is a very good thing, and I know this from personal experience. I hope your overall stress load goes down quickly and Charlie has the chance to enjoy his life. :flowerforyou: I love the story about your observing heart surgery. It is a rare privilege but essential for nurses in the hospital setting. I'm glad Doctor Grump was nice to you. DH has had surgery on his neck and lower back performed by two different neurosurgeons. Social skills are not a requirement for neurosurgery, and neither doctor had them. I think heart surgeons must fall into a similar group. :smiley:

Allie: Your granddaughter is gorgeous! :heart:

Barbie: I hope the visit with Jake's daughter and her family goes well despite the choices they've made for their convenience. :ohwell:

Miriam: Congratulations on earning the respect of the Tae Kwan Do class. What is a superman plank? :huh:

Michele: Jess is a wonderful daughter for showing you that you are loved & appreciated. :heart:

Heather: I used Google Earth to take a peek at Brighton and Hove. What a charming town and it has a beach!!!!! You'll enjoy visiting there. I'm sure I would. :flowerforyou:

EttaMaeMartin: I am a yoga fan but don't like too much heat. I googled hot power vinyasa yoga and the moves I saw are ones we do in class. Yoga been a savior for me, too. Welcome to a great group of women. :smiley:

Today is my birthday and DH is taking me out to breakfast. I feel appreciated. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Allie, just love that photo!
    Michele, thank God for Jess--what a sweet thing to do!
    DD pulled in late last night and I was amazed at just how normal it all feels. Have not felt like this in a very long time. But I am noticing that even though I had a reasonable breakfast I feel famished already. May be fatigued from lack of sleep or maybe this is a result of decreased tension? Not an expert at decreased tension!!! Will have to get on that bike even though I am tired if this keeps up.

Betty
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,618 Member
    Options
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

<3

Mary from Minnesota

Good Morning all!

Just checking out your thread. :)

@fanncy0626 I am really interested in the kettlebell work out! It sounds doable, fun and rewarding. Any advice you can post will be appreciated. Thank you. :)

Look back a couple of days on this thread and you will see videos and the five-week workout program that I do. Also get the swing timer app. If you need further information let me know! And welcome to our group!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning all! I splurged and bought an armband that holds my phone so I can listen to podcasts as I do my cardio! It was half price since Sports Authority is going out of business and I felt like It could be more motivating to listen while I move.

I am taking it easy this a.m. by making a pineapple upside down cake for DH cause he has been so sweet to me. <3 I don't think I will partake since it is too sweet for me, but I did sample the batter yum!

To all facing health challenges, strength and hugs. NYKAREN
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Mary - How do you calculate calorie burn with the kettlebell? I don't have a heart monitor or fit bit. Is there a ballpark figure for beginner workout?

Heather
  • fanncy0626
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Mary - How do you calculate calorie burn with the kettlebell? I don't have a heart monitor or fit bit. Is there a ballpark figure for beginner workout?

Heather

Because of it being both cardio and muscle workout it has a higher rate of calorie burn and an after burn. It is supposed to burn between 20 and 25 cal per minute. I estimate by the 20 to be on the safe side. So for a 20 minute workout times 20 equals 400 cal. With any strength training or muscle type work out do not be upset if you gain a little water weight at first. When ever you do strength training there is muscle repair and that uses water. You can also do this every day. It takes very little time and it will tone your entire body especially if you continue to either increase the amount of weight or the amount of reps but going beyond 7 to 10 swings/set is not recommended because it does not improve muscle tone. Adding weight if you can do 10 reps easy will be more beneficial. I always recommend starting slow and light. At our age it is best to not have any pain or issues. I have only felt muscle pain one time and immediately backed off and took it easy. And I have not experienced any since.

Also, very important take your measurements! You will notice tightening of all important areas immediately!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,807 Member
    Options
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    "Sending hugs y'alls direction today!

Cheri in soon to be hot Fairlawn,oHIo"

Love it, you're really getting the y'alls down pat. :)

Janetr OKC
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Well I couldn’t believe it, but Tanya and the BF showed up last night and she actually cooked some mac & cheese and added hot dogs. I gagged it down, but I was amazed that she cooked AND ate. AND she was pleasant and “present” the entire time! We had a nice visit and came up with some good ideas for DH’s birthday!

Today is going to be really hot with the heat index in the 113 range.

I got a very nice email this morning, totally out of the blue, from a former student, thanking me after all these years for all my hard work and for “touching me deeply”. He also said to continue on my journey of taking care of myself, so that is a voice from the universe telling me to get back on track! So I am going to do better!

Well I have to get to a meeting, so I am having to cut this short. I read all the posts though. I need to get more organized about getting here.

Vicki: where is your mom? I hope she gets better soon!

Joyce: glad to hear the operation went well.

Take care all, Meg from VERY hot Omaha
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,618 Member
    Options
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Katla - Happy Birthday!!!!!!!! <3

Janetr OKC
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Katla ~ Happy Birthday! Have a great new year! :)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Katla!
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday, Katla!

Mary thanks for sharing your knowledge...look what's happening, a lot of new kettlebell devotees. I sure hope it helps me with my flabby middle that I've been working on & thighs that are getting flabby as the weight comes off. Doing lots of pool exercises for them too.

GLo North Shore Ma