Fat Shamed at Grocery Stores

Options

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    And if people are right that you made this up, that doesnt make sense to me either.
  • marmalade225
    marmalade225 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all........I will admit that today I have been having junk food again (a whole large pizza) because I'm still really upset. I can barely get out of bed. I know it shouldn't be that big of a deal but it's really upsetting and I couldn't sleep until the early hours last night. A lot of you are saying I should tell the manager of the stores, but I don't want to get anyone fired :/

Sorry, but this kind of behavior DESERVES shaming.

You are in charge of your life, your emotions and your choices. Be a grown up and start taking some responsibility for what goes in your mouth.

That's really rude /: She's an adult, not a child. Don't tell her she deserves to be shamed, geez. Yes, it's true, a person's decisions is theirs and theirs alone and we each are responsible for what we do. But sometimes when you are really down low, it's not so black and white and easy to see. Sometimes people just need to be reminded that they are in control of themselves. I'm sure you've had a time or two when you felt like crap and wanted to blame everything on the rest of the world. Hopefully you were lucky enough to have someone there to support you through rough times like such, and lucky enough not to have someone there telling you you SHOULD feel ashamed of yourself. I really don't think your harsh comments were necessary; you never know what state of mind a person is at. Just what I think, no offense intended towards anyone :)
  • fineporcelain01
    fineporcelain01 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    benjaminhk wrote: »
    This one time I was fat-shamed by a whole town of people so I got back at them by making myself sick at a pie eating contest. After completing several pies, I started to vomit all over Bill Travis. Before he knew it, he was covered with five pies worth of used blueberries. The women in the audience screamed. Bossman Bob Cormier took one look at Bill Travis and barfed on Principal Wiggins, who barfed on the lumberjack that was sitting next to him. Mayor Grundy barfed on his wife's t.i.t.s. But when the smell hit the crowd, that's when my plan really started to work. Girlfriends barfed on boyfriends. Kids barfed on their parents. A fat lady barfed in her purse. The Donnelley twins barfed on each other, and the Women's Auxiliary barfed all over the Benevolent Order of Antelopes. And I just sat back and enjoyed what I'd created-a complete and total barf-o-rama!

Do you always steal movie stories and make them yours? This has no relevance here.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Thank you all........I will admit that today I have been having junk food again (a whole large pizza) because I'm still really upset. I can barely get out of bed. I know it shouldn't be that big of a deal but it's really upsetting and I couldn't sleep until the early hours last night. A lot of you are saying I should tell the manager of the stores, but I don't want to get anyone fired :/

You are in charge of your life, your emotions and your choices. Be a grown up and start taking some responsibility for what goes in your mouth.

That's really rude /: She's an adult, not a child. Don't tell her she deserves to be shamed, geez. Yes, it's true, a person's decisions is theirs and theirs alone and we each are responsible for what we do. But sometimes when you are really down low, it's not so black and white and easy to see. Sometimes people just need to be reminded that they are in control of themselves. I'm sure you've had a time or two when you felt like crap and wanted to blame everything on the rest of the world. Hopefully you were lucky enough to have someone there to support you through rough times like such, and lucky enough not to have someone there telling you you SHOULD feel ashamed of yourself. I really don't think your harsh comments were necessary; you never know what state of mind a person is at. Just what I think, no offense intended towards anyone :)

Using this as an excuse to let her emotions run wild and to binge eat IS acting like a child.

It is certainly not the approach of a well-adjusted, normal grown up. The appropriate thing to do is to complain so that it doesn't happen to anyone else and then move on with your life and taking care of yourself.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    The big problem you have to deal with is why r u eating a whole pizza? Someone random who says something shouldn't hurt you if you don't let it. Have you been to counselling?
  • Therealobi1
    Options

Using this as an excuse to let her emotions run wild and to binge eat IS acting like a child.

It is certainly not the approach of a well-adjusted, normal grown up. The appropriate thing to do is to complain so that it doesn't happen to anyone else and then move on with your life and taking care of yourself.

to me the appropriate thing to do is insult her and cause a scene. i guess i am not well-adjusted normal grown up like you
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    *UPDATE* Stuck to healthy eating yesterday and went to the gym :D

good for you keep at it.
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    i was in aldi few months back and this lady went absolutely crazy because they wouldn't let her take her basket full of shopping to the car. you are not allowed to take baskets out of the shop
    sooooooooooooo
    i dont really understand this story. there is no way i would be giving my money to any cashier insulting me. i wouldnt slap them but we would insult each other until the manager is paged. I dont understand this situation.Also the cashier is some rude stranger, why let them get into your head?

Unfortunately, I understand it too well. I still vividly remember a cashier in a grocery store telling me, "I'd kill you if you were my daughter!" Because I was 22 and having my 4th child. People think if they know one thing about you, they can make assumptions and judgments about the kind of person you are, and then say those opinions out loud. She clearly had some ideas about what kind of a person I must be. What she didn't know is that I was married, all of my children have the same father, I was educated and well-traveled, and financially capable of raising my children. She also didn't know that when I was 19, my new boyfriend's ex-wife showed up on my doorstep and left two small children, and I'd been raising them as my own ever since. Maybe she'd rethink her assessment of me. Maybe not. I don't really care. As long as people can be respectful and keep their damn mouths shut, they can *think* whatever they want.

bloody hell i am not sure where you guys are shopping. i was a cashier in my youth and just answering back to a customer would get you in trouble. The only customers i was aware of were the ones that smelt really badly otherwise i really couldnt care less who i was serving. I guess these cashiers need to pass the time away and amuse themselves some how.
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I may be 'fat' but hey, atleast I'm not a cashier! *smirk* walk away
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? In a place where no one is fat, I presume?
  • pgarcia1964
    pgarcia1964 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am so sorry you had to deal with this. I have never been confronted with that kind of rudeness. I would have talked to the manager that is just not something that should be allowed.