Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I guess I'll pop in to say that my progress so far with recomp is going well. I've switched from mostly low rep work to higher rep work. I am seeing more definition in my legs and slightly more in my arms. No progress pictures to share right now.

I have a DEXA scheduled for 7/27. I went ahead and paid for the double scan package. That will let me get one done now and one at a future date so that I can gauge my progress down the road.

Oh nice @jemhh I didn't realize you were recomping too... great to hear you are having success especially since in the back of my head I keep "doubting" the process. What program are you doing now?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I guess I'll pop in to say that my progress so far with recomp is going well. I've switched from mostly low rep work to higher rep work. I am seeing more definition in my legs and slightly more in my arms. No progress pictures to share right now.

I have a DEXA scheduled for 7/27. I went ahead and paid for the double scan package. That will let me get one done now and one at a future date so that I can gauge my progress down the road.

Oh nice @jemhh I didn't realize you were recomping too... great to hear you are having success especially since in the back of my head I keep "doubting" the process. What program are you doing now?

I've kind of made a mashup based on a couple of programs I found online plus holding onto the glute work I like. I wanted/needed to do more for my legs and I found this article. I lift at home and like a 4 day upper/lower split so I made a few changes and have been doing:

Lower 1
    Hip thrusts
    Squat
    Barbell hack squat/leg curl superset
    Lateral band walks
    2 minute goblet squat

Lower 2
    Sumo deadlifts
    Hip thrust/split squat superset
    Leg extension/standing band abduction superset
    20 rep squat

Upper 1
    Lat pulldown
    OHP
    Band pull aparts
    Plate raise
    Upright row
    Skullcrushers/curls

Upper 2
    Face pulls
    Flat bench
    Cable row
    Incline bench
    Lateral raises
    Rear delt raise
    Skullcrushers/curls

I'm enjoying the weekly change of rep range. I was really bored of 3-5 reps. Plus I am loving the hack squats.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Thanks @jemhh , looks good!

I have never done barbell hack squats but after looking it up they look interesting and I may have to try them out!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    @sardelsa, I had never done them either. I feel like I am getting much more out of them than I ever have with regular squats (which I keep hammering away at but are still my most difficult exercise.)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    @KetoneKaren what are your current goals? Do you still have some weight to lose or happy with that and just need to modify your composition. Ultimately, that will determine the most probable course of action (sorry if i missed it).

If you are at a good weight and worried about being able to gain some muscle while burning fat, we can evaluate and/or modify your approach to address your goals. That isnt saying to move you off lchf or anything but maybe look at your current exercise routine and potentially cycling or timing carbs around your workouts. There are always ways to achieve a goal, its just finding a plan within the parameters and setting realistic timelines.
  • psuLemon
    Options

That would be awesome to see. Good luck.
  • KetoneKaren
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @psulemon - I still have a lot of weight to lose (75-80lbs). I have done cardio and light weights (7lb dumbbells) 4 days a week for years. I just started Kettlebells Simple & Sinister and a plank challenge. I have no experience with heavy lifting. A friend has had great success with StrongLifts and Kettlebell routines. As long as my food plan doesn't worsen my insulin resistance, I am open to suggestions. My experience in the past has been that I will need to lose another 20 lbs for the insulin resistance to be less of a problem, at which time I won't have to be quite as careful about carb intake. Any amount of muscle building will also help with the insulin resistance. Thank you for your post.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    @psulemon - I still have a lot of weight to lose (75-80lbs). I have done cardio and light weights (7lb dumbbells) 4 days a week for years. I just started Kettlebells Simple & Sinister and a plank challenge. I have no experience with heavy lifting. A friend has had great success with StrongLifts and Kettlebell routines. As long as my food plan doesn't worsen my insulin resistance, I am open to suggestions. My experience in the past has been that I will need to lose another 20 lbs for the insulin resistance to be less of a problem, at which time I won't have to be quite as careful about carb intake. Any amount of muscle building will also help with the insulin resistance. Thank you for your post.

@KetoneKaren Recomposition (what this thread is about) is mostly for people who are at or near goal weight and wanting to improve body composition. Resistance training, such as StrongLifts or even the use of kettlebells, helps you retain muscle as you lose weight. This is important because dieting does tend to result in the loss of lean mass, making it tougher to keep the weight off. Some suggestions on resistance training programs are You Are Your Own Gym, which is a body weight program, or New Rules of Lifting for Women, which is very educational.

Gaining muscle during weight loss is very difficult, but not impossible. People who are beginners to lifting, who are obese, or who are returning to lifting can gain some muscle. Beyond muscle benefits, lifting improves bone density and can boost sleep quality.
  • KetoneKaren
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @usmcmp Thank you. I have body analysis done every 6 weeks at my nonsurgical bariatric doctor's office. Since April 14 I have lost 21 lbs without loss of muscle mass so far. My goal is to gain muscle while losing weight. I realize that may be difficult, but nonetheless, it is my goal. I am 20% of the way toward my ultimate goal and have not lost muscle yet. Thank you for the suggestions, I will certainly look into the resistance training programs you recommended.

Edited to add: I realize this thread is intended for people near or at goal weight, but I see no reason to accept losing muscle while losing weight if there is something I can do to prevent it. I am willing to work hard and take instruction. If there is another thread that can provide the same sort of information for people who still have a significant amount of weight to lose, I would be willing to go there for information instead.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    @usmcmp Thank you. I have body analysis done every 6 weeks at my nonsurgical bariatric doctor's office. Since April 14 I have lost 21 lbs without loss of muscle mass so far. My goal is to gain muscle while losing weight. I realize that may be difficult, but nonetheless, it is my goal. I am 20% of the way toward my ultimate goal and have not lost muscle yet. Thank you for the suggestions, I will certainly look into the resistance training programs you recommended.

Edited to add: I realize this thread is intended for people near or at goal weight, but I see no reason to accept losing muscle while losing weight if there is something I can do to prevent it. I am willing to work hard and take instruction. If there is another thread that can provide the same sort of information for people who still have a significant amount of weight to lose, I would be willing to go there for information instead.

I would think this thread might be more appropriate for your goals: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • psuLemon
    edited July 2016
    Options

If you don't want to lose muscle in a deficit, protein needs to be moderate (~.8g -1g per lb of lean body mass) and you need progressive resistance. Kettle bells are fine if you can increase the rate of resistances over time. If you can't, you need to look into another program.

If there is a goal of trying to gain muscle, which will be hard with low carb, you need to look into some of the ketogains body building techniques and hope they can apply. CKD and TKD are the two I know of.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

There isn't a thread like this in the weight loss section, so hover in this thread and the bulking section. There is much more in depth and knowledgeable discussions in these sections as the people are much more knowledgeable and specialized.
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    @psulemon Thanks. I will lurk and learn.
  • jerb00
    jerb00 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Okay. Back with a new question. After 2 months at 1200 cals light weights/Pilates/cardio j was at 96 "lbs. still normal for my 4'10" body but def thin-ish-fat. After asking for recs I decided to go with strong curves and maintain at 1400cals. To increase muscle and decrease fat. I have been going over a bit- 1450s and one calculation said I'd be good at 1530s so I figured I was still good to go. So I weighed my self today and I am 105! 104 was the reason I dropped to 1200 2 months ago. So. I am kinda freaked out. No way did I gain muscle so I must be over eating. But 1200 was difficult and I had no energy- certainly not for lifting heavy (for me!) weights which I am working towards and certainly not to maintain my energy levels to chase after my kids and not be cranky for lack of food. I did it with a short term goal in mind but now I am up above my initial weight. And my jeans fit tighter. Would appreciate advice. I took one measurement with wrist and forearm and said j was about 25% body fat and tdee was 1320s at sedentary but 1500ish at lightly active. Really I see what to do.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    jerb00 wrote: »
    Okay. Back with a new question. After 2 months at 1200 cals light weights/Pilates/cardio j was at 96 "lbs. still normal for my 4'10" body but def thin-ish-fat. After asking for recs I decided to go with strong curves and maintain at 1400cals. To increase muscle and decrease fat. I have been going over a bit- 1450s and one calculation said I'd be good at 1530s so I figured I was still good to go. So I weighed my self today and I am 105! 104 was the reason I dropped to 1200 2 months ago. So. I am kinda freaked out. No way did I gain muscle so I must be over eating. But 1200 was difficult and I had no energy- certainly not for lifting heavy (for me!) weights which I am working towards and certainly not to maintain my energy levels to chase after my kids and not be cranky for lack of food. I did it with a short term goal in mind but now I am up above my initial weight. And my jeans fit tighter. Would appreciate advice. I took one measurement with wrist and forearm and said j was about 25% body fat and tdee was 1320s at sedentary but 1500ish at lightly active. Really I see what to do.

I'm guessing that at least half of that weight is water/glycogen from increasing calories. My suggestion is to try to maintain the current weight during the recomposition process rather than lose the weight over and over again. This will require fairly regular weighing to determine your weight trend as relates to your calorie intake.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    @jerb00 If I remember correctly you do not weigh yourself often?
  • jerb00
    jerb00 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Right. I don't. I was a bit obsessed a while ago so I really try to just check in and then go by for of clothes - which are tight.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    usmcmp, I'm trying to up my proteins w/o increasing fat/carbs @ the same time. Any suggestions other than chicken breasts, PB, low-fat beef/pork and whey powder? I'm older so I know building muscle mass is going to be harder for me, than for someone younger--but hey I'm willing to try. B)
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    egg whites