Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    @griffinca2 Some yogurts are higher protein and low fat with not many carbs (Okios Triple Zero is actually really good with zero fat and about 15 grams of carbs and protein). Egg whites, cottage cheese, tuna, mahi mahi, cod, haddock and some jerky (turkey jerky especially). Higher carb options would be the vegetarian type options.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator
    jerb00 wrote: »
    Okay. Back with a new question. After 2 months at 1200 cals light weights/Pilates/cardio j was at 96 "lbs. still normal for my 4'10" body but def thin-ish-fat. After asking for recs I decided to go with strong curves and maintain at 1400cals. To increase muscle and decrease fat. I have been going over a bit- 1450s and one calculation said I'd be good at 1530s so I figured I was still good to go. So I weighed my self today and I am 105! 104 was the reason I dropped to 1200 2 months ago. So. I am kinda freaked out. No way did I gain muscle so I must be over eating. But 1200 was difficult and I had no energy- certainly not for lifting heavy (for me!) weights which I am working towards and certainly not to maintain my energy levels to chase after my kids and not be cranky for lack of food. I did it with a short term goal in mind but now I am up above my initial weight. And my jeans fit tighter. Would appreciate advice. I took one measurement with wrist and forearm and said j was about 25% body fat and tdee was 1320s at sedentary but 1500ish at lightly active. Really I see what to do.

If you were losing at 1200, you can rest assure that gaining at 1400 would be mathematically impossible. Even if you averaged a loss of 1/2 lb per week, your tdee would be 1450. So i would agree that there are a few reasons for your increase; glycogen like @usmcmp stated but also additional waste in your system and increased fluid retention from starting the lifting program. Everytime i take off time from lifting and then restart, i gain 2 to 3 lbs. When you add that with more calories and being a woman, you kinda screwed.

This is why i generally suggest looking at progress pictures and using measurements. Because why does weight matter if you look better?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    egg whites

I approve this message.
  • jerb00
    jerb00 Posts: 155 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    Okay. Back with a new question. After 2 months at 1200 cals light weights/Pilates/cardio j was at 96 "lbs. still normal for my 4'10" body but def thin-ish-fat. After asking for recs I decided to go with strong curves and maintain at 1400cals. To increase muscle and decrease fat. I have been going over a bit- 1450s and one calculation said I'd be good at 1530s so I figured I was still good to go. So I weighed my self today and I am 105! 104 was the reason I dropped to 1200 2 months ago. So. I am kinda freaked out. No way did I gain muscle so I must be over eating. But 1200 was difficult and I had no energy- certainly not for lifting heavy (for me!) weights which I am working towards and certainly not to maintain my energy levels to chase after my kids and not be cranky for lack of food. I did it with a short term goal in mind but now I am up above my initial weight. And my jeans fit tighter. Would appreciate advice. I took one measurement with wrist and forearm and said j was about 25% body fat and tdee was 1320s at sedentary but 1500ish at lightly active. Really I see what to do.

If you were losing at 1200, you can rest assure that gaining at 1400 would be mathematically impossible. Even if you averaged a loss of 1/2 lb per week, your tdee would be 1450. So i would agree that there are a few reasons for your increase; glycogen like @usmcmp stated but also additional waste in your system and increased fluid retention from starting the lifting program. Everytime i take off time from lifting and then restart, i gain 2 to 3 lbs. When you add that with more calories and being a woman, you kinda screwed.

This is why i generally suggest looking at progress pictures and using measurements. Because why does weight matter if you look better?

So thanks for the reply. Everything you say makes sense in my head. I really Get when pics are more important. I agree that numbers should t matter if you look better - logically- but it was the emotional bit I was struggling with when my pants felt tighter. But you are right so I'll try to chill. Should I stay at 1400?
    usmcmp wrote: »

I'm guessing that at least half of that weight is water/glycogen from increasing calories. My suggestion is to try to maintain the current weight during the recomposition process rather than lose the weight over and over again. This will require fairly regular weighing to determine your weight trend as relates to your calorie intake.

I'll try this. Guess I'll have to get a scale. How long till I make changes if I don't seem to be maintaining this weight?

• griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    usmcmp, ketonekaren, hornsby, Thanks for the info; had already using egg whites--I'll just up the amt.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I was going to post this in the thread where I saw it but I did not want to derail the OP. But it was about recomping with body fat.

@sijomial you mentioned that it is easier for those with higher body fat to recomp since they have "a store of easily accessible energy.. the leaner you are the harder it gets" Can you or anyone else explain this further?

How lean is too lean to really benefit from recomp? I feel like I am on the lean side, but not quite "ripped" (which is not my goal anyhow...especially since I lack the muscle base).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I was going to post this in the thread where I saw it but I did not want to derail the OP. But it was about recomping with body fat.

@sijomial you mentioned that it is easier for those with higher body fat to recomp since they have "a store of easily accessible energy.. the leaner you are the harder it gets" Can you or anyone else explain this further?

How lean is too lean to really benefit from recomp? I feel like I am on the lean side, but not quite "ripped" (which is not my goal anyhow...especially since I lack the muscle base).

I have read the same thing, as far as having more body fat being beneficial for recomping. I read it over in the female section on bodybuilding.com though. I will try to see if I can find the thread there.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member

I understand why that freaked you out. I'm dealing with a similar issue, I had been eating at a mild deficit that varied some days MFP/fitbit said I still had 300 cal left other days much more. I was bouncing around between 163 and 165lbs. I was also doing a fair amount of running 4-5days a week. After my half marathon I decided to focus more on strength training. So I started trying to eat right at what my fitbit said was my TDEE in 22 days I went from bouncing around at 163-165 to 169-171, my clothes fit tighter...It sort of sucks to be honest. I really feel like it shouldn't be so complicated, the majority of people I know seem to maintain there weight and everything fairly well and they never track calories...
  • jerb00
    edited July 2016
    I understand why that freaked you out. I'm dealing with a similar issue, I had been eating at a mild deficit that varied some days MFP/fitbit said I still had 300 cal left other days much more. I was bouncing around between 163 and 165lbs. I was also doing a fair amount of running 4-5days a week. After my half marathon I decided to focus more on strength training. So I started trying to eat right at what my fitbit said was my TDEE in 22 days I went from bouncing around at 163-165 to 169-171, my clothes fit tighter...It sort of sucks to be honest. I really feel like it shouldn't be so complicated, the majority of people I know seem to maintain there weight and everything fairly well and they never track calories...

Thanks jeepinshawn. I appreciate the feedback. Sometimes I feel like I a the only one who is having trouble navigating this. Seems so easy for so may as you said.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »

@sardelsa
    How lean is too lean? Ask @Hornsby !! His results are remarkable.

Remember that none of us is always in a constant surplus, deficit or maintenance - we are always swinging between the three states depending on our digestion and activity.
    Having an energy buffer of fat helps with muscle sparing when in a deficit. It's one of the big factors why some people can gain some muscle mass in a sustained but small deficit.

Downside of recomping when chubby - progress is harder to see when hidden under a fat suit.
    Upside of recomping when lean - small amount of progress brings very noticeable changes in appearance.

When I was coming down from 18% BF I really couldn't see progress - I had to measure it. Now I'm about 15% (?? guessing!) changes in definition and vascularity are far more apparent.
    I've never had a goal of being very lean (too old, not the preferred look for me) so I've actually used my recomp to raise my maintenance weight range. I'm a bit contrary like that!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator

If you gain that much, it's most likely due to too many calories. Since you concentrated on weight training, and decreased running, your EE will decrease. So if you maintained calories from when you were running a lot, then it's obvious you might be exceeding your TDEE. Essentially, eating too much for your current activity level. So you might have to rebaseline your TDEE with your new regime.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member

This is the story of my last four years! I could have written both posts. The numbers would be slightly different, but basically the same--came off a loss and was maintaining. Decided to eat a little more because the calculators and MFP said I could. Gained. And then gained some more. And then some more. . . . .

I've not been able to lose despite supposedly eating below maintenance for four years. And when I eat at maintenance, I gain. Yes, I know there is some user error, but I can't even get in the ballpark of what I should be eating without gaining. I use a Misfit activity tracker, and a food scale.

So my recomp turned into a bulk. And cutting doesn't work, unless I eat really low--like 1200-1350.

I've definitely made some slight body improvements, but this is so frustrating!! I blame it on hormones--menopause is reported to decrease metabolism by 10-15%.

• jerb00
    Tiger blue- same here. If I eat at a deficit I would be below 1200. No way could I do that long term. So, I am at what is said should be my maintenance but still unsure. So ultimately what are you doing? I am glad to hear that you have seen improvements, but Are you just eating higher calories and resigned to being heavier than you want? How long did you maintain until you decided you needed to lower your calories?
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Tiger blue- same here. If I eat at a deficit I would be below 1200. No way could I do that long term. So, I am at what is said should be my maintenance but still unsure. So ultimately what are you doing? I am glad to hear that you have seen improvements, but Are you just eating higher calories and resigned to being heavier than you want? How long did you maintain until you decided you needed to lower your calories?

Yes I decided it wasn't worth it to eat as low as I would need to to maintain my lowest weight. (112 lbs). My maintenance was what many people diet on!

So I guess you would say I am resigned to being heavier. But I definitely like being stronger. So I try to focus on that. And I am struggling with my own demons as far as body image and what is appropriate for a fit woman my age, etc. I was a tiny tiny person as a young woman and it has been hard to like my more robust body, which is still not large when compared to the average American.

I still try to lose a few pounds from time to time by lowering cals for a set time period (like three or four months at a time). The best I have done is lose about 4-5 lbs, which I then re-gain when I switch back to maintenance.

So I am trying to make peace with my maintenance calorie allowance, which looks to be 1500-1800 calories a day, depending on activity. I've tried some intermittent fasting strategies that have helped with satiety. And I am constantly working to be as accurate as possible with food logging. There is just no room for error! And I am continuing to focus on strength training, so at least maybe I can gain a bit of muscle while maintaining, even if I can't lose! I also am focusing on the health benefits of this journey--the fact that I will be stronger as I age, and not a little old woman who falls and breaks!

Some days my attitude is better than others! Today I'm hungry, (I've not been so active and thus get fewer calories!) so my attitude is less good!
  • jerb00
    tigerblue wrote: »

Yes I decided it wasn't worth it to eat as low as I would need to to maintain my lowest weight. (112 lbs). My maintenance was what many people diet on!

So I guess you would say I am resigned to being heavier. But I definitely like being stronger. So I try to focus on that. And I am struggling with my own demons as far as body image and what is appropriate for a fit woman my age, etc. I was a tiny tiny person as a young woman and it has been hard to like my more robust body, which is still not large when compared to the average American.

I still try to lose a few pounds from time to time by lowering cals for a set time period (like three or four months at a time). The best I have done is lose about 4-5 lbs, which I then re-gain when I switch back to maintenance.

So I am trying to make peace with my maintenance calorie allowance, which looks to be 1500-1800 calories a day, depending on activity. I've tried some intermittent fasting strategies that have helped with satiety. And I am constantly working to be as accurate as possible with food logging. There is just no room for error! And I am continuing to focus on strength training, so at least maybe I can gain a bit of muscle while maintaining, even if I can't lose! I also am focusing on the health benefits of this journey--the fact that I will be stronger as I age, and not a little old woman who falls and breaks!

Some days my attitude is better than others! Today I'm hungry, (I've not been so active and thus get fewer calories!) so my attitude is less good!

You sound so similar to me. As I get older I find it is hard to appreciate my h aged body that has carried three babies and looks pretty well compared to my counterparts. I am trying not to obsess but to learn how to take care of my body well so I can still be vibrant as I get older. But then my vanity kicks in and I just want to be slimmer now! So the cutting cals worked a bit but I didn't see the shape i was hoping for. Was hoping that lifting would help me get there (too early to tell) but this whole calorie thing is maddening. Every calculator gives me different numbers and while k feel like I have more energy with more calories, the scale and my jeans are telling me that maybe I am eating too much. But, it is still lower than I had been before I started eating low. So, just feeling frustrated and I really appreciate you sharing your story.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    What workouts are post menopausal women above doing? I am 62.
  • rebekahheiner
    rebekahheiner Posts: 38 Member
    edited July 2016
    So, I am jumping into this conversation late, but I just started heavily jumping into weight lifting about 2 weeks ago. I am 5'2" (so basically, short) and trying to reduce my body fat percentage a bit while also getting toned. In the past 2 weeks, I've put on a couple lbs, but I've already lost an inch around my waist. I've put on about a half inch around my biceps and hips, but I know it's those squats and bench presses. lol! I have a feeling my weight won't be a real great reflection of the changes my body is undergoing. Measurements are the way to go.
    I've been trying to overcome my preconceived notions that I need a crazy amount of cardio to see any fat loss, but it's hard.
    Another problem I'm having, like others on here, is getting enough protein. I'm trying to eat at a 40%, 40%, 20% macro ratio but I find it SO difficult to find the right combination of foods to get there.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    So, I am jumping into this conversation late, but I just started heavily jumping into weight lifting about 2 weeks ago. I am 5'2" (so basically, short) and trying to reduce my body fat percentage a bit while also getting toned. In the past 2 weeks, I've put on a couple lbs, but I've already lost an inch around my waist. I've put on about a half inch around my biceps and hips, but I know it's those squats and bench presses. lol! I have a feeling my weight won't be a real great reflection of the changes my body is undergoing. Measurements are the way to go.
    I've been trying to overcome my preconceived notions that I need a crazy amount of cardio to see any fat loss, but it's hard.
    Another problem I'm having, like others on here, is getting enough protein. I'm trying to eat at a 40%, 40%, 20% macro ratio but I find it SO difficult to find the right combination of foods to get there.

I definitely don't want discourage you, but it's doubtful that you will see any noticeable changes in only 2 weeks. Recomping takes a very long time (especially for women). You're probably just experiencing water weight fluctuations. But keeping going, and I'm sure there are many great things to come.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member

I definitely don't want discourage you, but it's doubtful that you will see any noticeable changes in only 2 weeks. Recomping takes a very long time (especially for women). You're probably just experiencing water weight fluctuations. But keeping going, and I'm sure there are many great things to come.

I read that females might gain about 1/2 pound muscle every 2 weeks or 13 pounds in a year. It is double that for (natural) men if they are doing everything right. The source contains some advertising but I'm assuming the background info is true?http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html/
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    tigerblue wrote: »

My story, too. There is definitely a hormonal component. Every once in a while I step on the scale and I've "gained" 8 or 10 pounds overnight. I don't feel bloated and my pants aren't particularly tight, and then two weeks later I get one of my increasingly rare periods. But otherwise, my weight just slowly inches upward now on the amount of calories that had me losing 1 pound/week a couple of years ago. (I'm very accurate and have a better-than-average eye, as my work involves weighing and measuring food, so I don't think sloppy logging is the problem.) Frustrating. On the other hand, I feel a zillion times better, I'm stronger than I've ever been, and biking is a lot more fun than it used to be. I'm hoping once I'm truly menopausal and not in the in-between stage where I've been stuck for a while now, things will level out.