WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• melaniemetoyer
    melaniemetoyer Posts: 50 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Hello ladies, hope all is well with each of you. Well, things seem to have settled down here...the officers have been laid to rest, the protesters have moved on, and maybe, just maybe, we can resume our lives. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers as Baton Rouge was attacked by the unthinkable. It would take me forever to catch up with all that is going on with you guys at this point so, I will start again on Monday, and NEVER GET MORE THAN A DAY BEHIND lol!!! have a great weekend ladies B)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Carrie - I always ate back all my calories, that's what they are there for. Still lost 57 lbs. :D It doesn't stall your weight loss if you don't eat them, but you aren't developing good habits for life and you are more likely to give in and binge. Good, healthy snacks, up to your allowance, are the way to go. Do you think athletes get by on 1200 calories? Not! You have to respect and fuel your body with good food. Eat like an athlete. Don't go hungry. This is for LIFE. Can you sustain the way you eat for ever? And ever? And ever? Enjoy your food and make that lovely exercise an essential part of your life. I only exercise so I can EAT. Or, at least, I used to. Now I do actually enjoy having a fit body that looks good and does what it needs to. I brought my kettlebell along with me to Brighton. :D

DDIL etc had a wonderful time on their evening out. So pleased. <3:D The restaurant was fab and outside by the sea a band was playing and people were dancing. Yeah! Our fish and chips were exceptional and the fizzy wine was just great with it. I broke even on the day. :D

Heather UK
  • AAMFitPal
    AAMFitPal Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello, I just joined this MFP today. This looks like a great group. I'm happy to be here.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I went to bed last night around 7:30 fully intending to go to sleep, get up early enough so that I can get a nice shower and get to the hospital in time to see the doc. Didn't work that way. Tossed and turned and didn't get to sleep until around midnight. Alarm went off at 7 and I just turned over and shut it off. When I finally got up around 9 there was no energy to get in the shower. So I jsut rolled my hair and hair sprayed the dickens out of it.I was so tired, I got a spot in the second row of the parking lot and still called security to have them drive me to the front door. When I got to the room, the aide as giving Charlie a bed bath and he wanted her to stop and me finish. No way! I could tell the day was not going to be good. Later he wanted me to get him in bed. You have to manage his IV and drainage tube, no big deal it's just that I was exhausted and he was still wanting me to do things for him. He told me to jsut go home and he would find some one to help him. I was tempted to but I wanted to stay and talk to the surgeon. He ate a good lunch and then set in to watch the golf channel. Around 2:30 the surgeon came in. He said the radiologist did say that the initial fluid that he drew out yesterday did have a lot of (sorry) puss in it. When he first came in yesterday he was upset that the CT report said that because there was fluid where the gall bladder was that it was an abscess. He said you just can't say it is an abscess just because there is fluid. But now we know it was an abscess. So he said that he will be there through the weekend. I know Charlie isn't quite there yet but he is getting there.

Allie, you deserve a gold medal or a trophy or something. Good for you. I hope he doesn't forget the feeling of you standing up to him.

Katla, sorry the scooter didn't work right. Usually the 3 wheeled scooters are the best

Joyce, Indiana
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your positive comments! Knowing I am not alone with these feelings help. Yep looking back at all the stuff we have gone thru, and the rehashing in my mind of things, is no good for anyone. I say to myself in my head, "I am at a good place now, enjoy the place you are at."

Today swimming was great! We had alot in the deep water aqua aerobic class, and some even know my name. One gal, Paula and I got to talking after the class, (standing butt naked chatting even!)...and I found out that her sister attends the TOPS meeting. She said she was Bonnie's sister, and then she said, "Oh you are the Rebecca I hear about". (hmmm is that a good thing or a bad thing?) Anyway, as I shall state again, all these coasties are frillin related, by birth or circumstance! It's the cutest thing, because when you meet one local, you have pretty much met the whole town, it just takes awhile to realize that... :-)

My arms are sooo sore from playing tennis, they are achy! I am taking Bayer Back and Body, and its helping. Husband said I snored like nobody's business last night...ooopsy.
    Becca
    Mrs Snoring Momma in
    Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Vickil57 wrote: »
    TGIF!! Can you tell I have the weekend off? I am working the long shift today and then off the next 3 days. Monday evening we are having a staff meeting. This will be my first as supervisor.

Yesterday my Aunt passed away. She lived just a couple doors down from my mom. The funeral is Monday and out in Imperial which is 4 hours away. So not planning on going. Just feel sad.

Joyce--I am screaming with you. Hugs!! Sounds like things are getting better.

Marcelyn--Sending healing prayers and hugs.

Becca--We have all done things we are not proud of. I have a list a mile long and I do my best to put it behind me. But there are times I just get over whelmed with thoughts. Best advice I had given to me is. Look forward to what is ahead, not backwards where you have been, most importation live in the here and now. Sending lots of hugs and prayers
    KJL--Congrates on the blueberry. Sending prayers and hugs. My oldest DGDS I call peanut as first ultrasound that what he reminded me of.

Lisa--Love the pictures. What a great keepsake.

Clairblue2--Happy Birthday. I know I will be turning 60 next March and it is unsettling.

Michele--Hugs. Our children can break our hearts in millions of pieces.

Allison--Congrates on standing up for yourself. Make him think twice about things.

Well I am caught up and need to think about getting something done before time to go home. Sunday have a wedding shower for DGD. It's a jewery party. Never heard of that before. They do things so different now. Take care ladies.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE

I'm from Imperial, NE originally! (population 2000). I wonder if I know your aunt or mom.?

Karen in Virginia

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    Heather- Great explanation and eating or not eating your exercise calories! Good for you for bringing your kettle bell with you!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    B) Warm again today!! But I have my water with me this time

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    @summertime19 Lenora explained this to us - lets see if I remember correctly: Girls Raised In The South and Southern Ladies Under Tremendous Stress...is that right, Lenora?
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Five hours in the yard. Mowed my tiny patch and path of grass. Weedeated along the back alley and other spots. Pulled a LOT of weeds (really hot and lots of rain for two weeks is great for growing weeds). Then moved a few hostas to a less sunny spot, and moved some day lilies and peonies to where they were. Then quit because I was covered in dirt and could hardly move anymore. I am hoping my tiny baby bunting hosta does better where I moved it. The others are all nice, but this one is so adorable! Leaves the size of quarters. I probably have twenty different types of hostas in my yard. Shortly after I finished showering off the dirt, it started to rain, so all the plants got a nice drink of water in their new homes.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    Options
    but I wouldn't take them out in public! :laugh:

Just saw this... yep mine don't get past my own yard and that is rare!

:) I am fortunate to live in a place where it rarely gets warm enough to wear short sleeves or short pants and I am usually colder than other people so I deal with the appearance of my arms and legs by keeping them covered in public....yes, strength training helps

:) Barbie from NW Washington
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    Options
    carriels7 wrote: »
    Hey guys - have been reading a discussion about whether you should eat back your exercise calories and many people said that if you eat too few calories, then it stalls any loss. What do you think? Today, I did a cardio strength class, then did weight training in the gym for 20 minutes, then came home and took dog for a decent walk (not 5 miles, only 1 mile B), then walked around farmers market, and found that this afternoon was starved!!! So decided not to worry too much and ate some mostly heathy snacks.
    Will too low calories stall weight loss?
    Carrie in coastal SC

Absolutely eat more when you are more active....probably not every calorie that is recorded for your exercise but you need to fuel your body before and after heavy exertion.
  • summertime19
    summertime19 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    @summertime19 Lenora explained this to us - lets see if I remember correctly: Girls Raised In The South and Southern Ladies Under Tremendous Stress...is that right, Lenora?

LoL I knew it had some great meaning behind it. Thanks for explaining!
  • summertime19
    edited July 2016
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    but I wouldn't take them out in public! :laugh:

Just saw this... yep mine don't get past my own yard and that is rare!

:) I am fortunate to live in a place where it rarely gets warm enough to wear short sleeves or short pants and I am usually colder than other people so I deal with the appearance of my arms and legs by keeping them covered in public....yes, strength training helps

:) Barbie from NW Washington

Yes you are very fortunate to live in a cooler climate. With ours less is better.. but on the other hand its always a good thing to cover up from the sun. Farmers tans are not attractive.

And...Strength training seems the best work out to do in many ways!
  • summertime19
    Options
    Carrie - I always ate back all my calories, that's what they are there for. Still lost 57 lbs. :D It doesn't stall your weight loss if you don't eat them, but you aren't developing good habits for life and you are more likely to give in and binge. Good, healthy snacks, up to your allowance, are the way to go. Do you think athletes get by on 1200 calories? Not! You have to respect and fuel your body with good food. Eat like an athlete. Don't go hungry. This is for LIFE. Can you sustain the way you eat for ever? And ever? And ever? Enjoy your food and make that lovely exercise an essential part of your life. I only exercise so I can EAT. Or, at least, I used to. Now I do actually enjoy having a fit body that looks good and does what it needs to.

Wow...What a wonderful mindset and tude (attitude) you have! Just what I need to hear. :)
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 8.46in, 17.5amph, 134mhr, 2.5mi = 91c
    SPIN- 40min, 88r, 74w, 9-11g, 149mhr, 9.7mi = 312c
    ride gym 2 wk- 52.49min, 12.5amph, 151mhr, 11mi = 447c
    ride wk 2 hm- 52.51min, 11.5amph, 152mhr, 10.1mi = 495c
    total cal 1345
  • pipcd34
    Options
    carriels7 wrote: »
    Hey guys - have been reading a discussion about whether you should eat back your exercise calories and many people said that if you eat too few calories, then it stalls any loss. What do you think? Today, I did a cardio strength class, then did weight training in the gym for 20 minutes, then came home and took dog for a decent walk (not 5 miles, only 1 mile B), then walked around farmers market, and found that this afternoon was starved!!! So decided not to worry too much and ate some mostly heathy snacks.
    Will too low calories stall weight loss?
    Carrie in coastal SC

puts your body into starvation mode and it won't work so it will stall weight loss.
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    I'm not sure what starvation mode is...but consistently eating at a deficit that isn't sustainable will do the following:
    1. Make you "hangry".
    2. Lead to cravings and food obsessions.
    3. Increase stress, which increases cortisol production, which is associated with trunkal obesity.
    4. Make you feel as if you are on a diet, i.e., deprived, rather than feeling as if you are eating to fuel your body.
    5. Make it hard to exercise vigorously.

Karen in Virginia